Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626

Comments

• kaspar10kaspar10 Posts: 11
    My car had a few more miles than that, but still no worries. I was looking at econo cars, I am saving money to purchase a house in a few years, so I wanted to conserve. This car being a year model old was only slightly higher, so I went for it. I am glad I did. I would like to get a set of nicer hubcaps or wheels. The standard equipment models are somewhat dull or maybe ugly is a truer statement.
  • Yeah, but on the upside, no one is likely to heist them, either. :)

I had a nice set of seven-spoke Ultras on my old '93. They wouldn't have transferred to the new car, though — only fourteen-inchers, they were, and I have certain qualms about futzing with wheel sizes in front-drivers.
  • kaspar10kaspar10 Posts: 11
    Looking on the bright side is always a good thing, but maybe it would be nice if some one did steal them!!! I agree about being careful about changing wheel sizes, lots of bad things could happen. Speedo out of whack, different handling traits, etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money on wheels. Not many choices for nice hubcaps though. I think they want to limit the choices so you might consider wheels instead. That's the way of the world......
  • And, of course, if you wanted alloy wheels for a 626 LX, you bought them yourself and tried to figure out something to do with the OEM steel wheels, or you paid through the schnozzola for the Premium Package and perhaps got an option you didn't want. Confusion reigns rampant once more.
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Posts: 157
    The biggest compliment I get on my '99 626 LX is regarding the alloy wheels. The 626 wheel covers (in my opinion) are not very attractive whereas the alloy wheels are some of the best I've seen. I did buy the premium pkg and I'm glad I did. If you're going to drive a car until the wheels come off - make sure you buy what looks good to YOU. It will make it much harder to justify to yourself spending money on a new (or newer) car.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Posts: 230
    I have been seeing some interesting photos and a promise of boosts in power 4 & 6 cylinder models for upcoming 03 626. Anyone have any in-depth report web links to share? The car sounds like a big improvement over the current generation and would seriously consider purchasing it if all holds out to be true.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Look up the Mazda 6 topic in here. The 626 and Millenia are going away after the 2002MY and are being replaced by the Mazda 6.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Maybe this will help: Mazda 6.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Thanks Pat
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    The new babies are a wee bit bigger than our
    Doubleought 626.Much new(no longevity record)
    technolgy has gone into these sweeties and I
    enjoy the new lines. I haven't found how many
    horsies are under the hood of a 2.3. I hope they
    addressed some issue of us 6' 250# guys...fer
    instance higher elevation of headrest-restraints
    to provide optimum protection.We built ours up
    3" to equal the tops of my ears...looks
    like the easy chair in the front room! I also hope
    they got the rear-veiw mirror button secured
    at the darkened portion of the the windshield.We
    moved ours up in about 1.5 hours and two utility
    knife blades. I HAD a blind spot 'cause it would
    not adjust any higher. Has anyone heard of a price
    for a 6? My wife and I are enjoying our well spent 16K!! Thumbs UP
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,199
    just read it somewhere. I'm not sure where, though, but I believe it was 160-something. So, it shouldn't be too far off the current V6 performance. Not bad. But that 219 hp is calling my name ... :)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• windowphobe6windowphobe6 Posts: 765
    That's the current story, anyway. (Initial reports were 160 hp, but I suspect emissions got in the way.) No change to the V6 spec yet. Even at 150, though, it should move out with more vigor than the 125-hp 626 does; the 6 weighs a little more, but not that much more.

Car and Driver drove a four-cylinder/5-speed preproduction model in Europe recently; they were mostly pleased, though they wanted more horsepower (duh) and they thought the shifter was a tad on the notchy side. Prices, they report, are supposed to be right about where the 626 was.
    just out of curiosity, where did that number come from? Was it from that same C&D article?

• windowphobe6windowphobe6 Posts: 765
    Presumably it was given them by Mazda reps. This may be similar to the incident with the MX-5/Miata a few years back, when they announced one HP figure in advance and then had to backpedal when final emissions calibrations reduced it.
  • hecephecep Posts: 10
    Greetings, All! This 626 forum seems to have some pretty informative posts, so I'm hoping that one of you can come to the rescue. I have a '93 626 DX (120K miles). Over the past 2 years, I've had the tranny (inevitable!), timing belt, hoses, and struts changed out. My last tune-up was about 1 month ago. Over the last three years, I've been experiencing a problem with steering wheel vibration, i.e., whenever I'm stopped -- say at a light -- the wheel shakes like a wet puppy with the DTs. The vibration is especially pronounced when the A/C is on. The wheel and the steering column shake so much, that the car keys practically fly! Any ideas or personal experiences/solutions out there? Thanks!
  • janydots2janydots2 Posts: 1
    hey...I am looking for some advice...I am a single mom who is considering giving up a 2dr Honda Civic for a four door 95 626 with 124,000 miles on it. The asking price is 5 thousand or best offer. What do you all think? Is it worth it? Has it got the potential to be a maintainence nightmare?
    any suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jenny
    Janydots@yahoo.com
    If your potential buy has the automatic transmission, beware. I found out the hard way about that particular hassle, with my tranny going out after about 110,000 miles. Cost me $2800, not including what I shelled out for the rental car. Based on my own internet search a few months ago, it seems that this has been a systemic problem with the 626's (from '93 on up to just recently) and possibly related to overheating. I've seen many angry internet posts on this, with posters screaming "recall", and with nothing but silence from Mazda's side of the aisle. That was backed up by the knowing nods, chuckles, and comments I got from the folks at the transmission shop. "Happens a lot to the 626's", they said. If the one you're looking at just had its transmission replaced or fully overhauled, then there's no reason to not expect 100,000 miles from it. If it's the original, though...

Other than this (and the steering vib prob mentioned in my previous post), I've been fairly satisfied with my '93 626.

Good luck, and if your seller says that the tranny is new/reworked, make him PROVE it.
    Well, you didn't specify what model, V6 or 4-cyl., stick or auto. BUT, even a clean ES with that many miles is not worth anywhere near $5K. Just plug the info. into Edmunds used car page here and see for yourself. You should be paying somewhere between trade-in and private party numbers.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The shifter in the one at the NY Auto Show felt fine to me. I loved how the wagon's rear seat would pop down at the push of a button. It's spring loaded, and very clever.

FYI, we sold our 626. Got $6500 for our '95 ES 5 speed, pretty good resale after 71k miles and 7+ years. Price we got was well above Edmunds' price, closer to KBB's dealer price. :-)

It had been in the shop 5 times in the past year or so, and with the wife expecting our 2nd child we decided to get a wagon (2002 Legacy L). Too bad the new 6 wasn't available yet, I would have liked to have tried it.

Hector: I'm guessing - bad engine mount?

Jenny: price sounds high for the mileage. Even for an ES.

-juice
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    At that mileage, I would say your engine mounts are worn out. Get those replaced and the engine should idle much smoother.
    I'll definitely look at the mounts.

A friend here at worked suggested adjusting the idle speed, but I recently had a tune-up, and the vibration before that matches what I'm now experiencing; no change at all.

Thanks, again.
  • fducoeurfducoeur Posts: 1
    Any suggestions on selling my 1999 626?
    My lease payoff is $13,900, with 28 months remaining on lease at $261/month. It's in great shape, only 29,700 miles. Lease is assumable. Any suggestions/ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    recently buy a 626 at a big discount? Is the car worth it with the kickin 6 on the way? Have a family friend interested in new car, needs a familyish reliable model, cannot yet afford the Camry/Accords.
    ~alpha
  • blacklabelblacklabel Posts: 11
    Hey man I got a '93 626 auto also with 131k miles. I got it like 7 months ago. The tranny shifts quite rough much of the time... but it hasn't gone yet. I brought it to a tranny place to have fluid changed since it was never done and the mechanic appearantly said nothing was wrong thus far... but who knows it could go anytime.

But it also shakes when stopped at a light. And yes!... I thought maybe the idle... because when it warms up (which is only a couple minutes now its summer) it seems to shake more and the rpms are only about 500... I dunno if thats it. Engine mounts sound likely, but I also read on a 626 site that a common problem of the shaking was from radiator mounts.
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    Most people think that an assumable lease means that the original purchaser is off the hook. Generally this is not so. If you have another assume the lease and they beat it or more likely drive excess miles the leasing company can collect from you and them.

Of course companies allow assumable leases. It's to their benefit.

If you want them to completely take over the lease a separate document would have to be signed, together with some extra money to make it completely binding.
  • drleitedrleite Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1990 626DX. It has 275,000 miles and is listed for $1,990 by the dealer. The car looks to be in exceptional condition. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this is a reasonable price for the car considering the high mileage.
    Is that a typo?? 275,000!! I wouldn't touch this car for any kind of money! Especially a DX. It has nothing to offer that you can't find in another car with far less miles for less money.

• i'm considering purchasing a 98 LX V6 5spd 57k. Anyone know of any common problems with this particular model?
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    Check autotrader.com if you want to find an older 626; I found an '88 LX hatchback w/120k miles for $950 recently. $1990 is way out of line for any car with 275k miles.