Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    PS BTW, I love the styling. Beautiful, with character, distinctiveness, and you can recognize it as a Mazda immediately.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The word on the street is that the Duratech is too old for that vehicle so expect something newer(probably Ford). The CD4E is out for sure. Think Jatco...
    A rotary would be nice. It would really stand out, along with the styling.

-juice
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    Really? The word I have heard on my streets is that it will be the 3.0L Duratec with Mazda's S-VT and should produce between 210-220hp. But, if the CD4E goes away, I really don't care what the engine is. What would be nice would be the 2.5L currently in the car but modernized with Mazda's direct injection and S-VT. The output and efficiency they are getting with the 4-cyl's is absolutely amazing!! Or, how about the 280hp twin-turbo 2.5L that found it's way into the European 626 MPS concept!!!
    We can dream, but a rotary or twin turbo isn't likely on a high volume mid-sizer.

I guess direct injection is a more realistic hope.

-juice
    Those look more like something coming out of SEMA.

That looks like the non-US 626 with enough stuff tacked on to keep people interested, though.

-juice
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    I agree, that they should keep the numeric scheme; all other car company trying to move away from name and moving to numberic or alphabetical, eq Acura's bad alphabetical scheme, TL, RL (Acura Legend sounds much better than RL; DUH). In other parts of the world, Mazda did used naming scheme for most of it's product and very successfull with it; eq: Mazda Cronos and Capella (626), Mazda Astina and Mazda Lantis (Protege5 and it's ancestor), Mazda Sentia (929). I like the Cronos and Lantis name, but those "Atenza" and "Antheon" doesn't sound right for Mazda.

anyway, got this info off of automotivenews.com
    626: The next-generation 626 is being developed off a global fwd mid-sized car platform Mazda is developing for parent Ford. The sedan arrives in fall 2002 and will be longer, wider and more
    powerful than the current model. It resembles the Acura 3.2TL, with touches of Lexus IS 300 and Audi A4. ngine options will be a 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder and a 3.0-liter V-6 with variable-valve timing, mated to a five-speed automatic. The suspension will be double wishbone up front and multilink at the rear, making it the most performance-oriented sedan in its class.
    A wagon, similar in appearance to the Audi A4 Avant, is slated to join the lineup.

It mentioned that the new 3.0 V6 will have "variable-valve timing", I don't recall any Ford engine have that feature, so I'm hoping that this will be a Mazda's designed and built engine.
    Now let us all pray and hope that is the case. Please God, Please.....

cheers
    Sounds good to me.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The Ford trannys really know how to waste the power that's given to them, so any other make of trans is an improvemnet. The 4cyl from those who know say it's a great motor. We'll see how it does in the truck and Trib.
    Don't hold your breath on that one... Like I said before, the engine will be the 3.0L DOHC V6 Duratec outfitted with Mazda's S-VT (Sequential Valve Timing) and should output between 210-220hp. On a good note, the 3.0L Duratec is a world class engine and one of the few things Ford has done right in the past few years. The 2.3L DOHC 4-cyl Duratec will see use as the base engine in the 626, Tribute, B-Series, and Protege, as well as the Ranger, Escape, and Focus. It was a joint design with Mazda and Ford and will be built in the U.S. by Ford, Japan by Mazda, and Europe by Ford.
    I miss the numeric naming Mazda used. 323, 626, 929, MX-3, MX-5, MX-6, and RX-7... Ahhh, those were the good days and the best times for Mazda.
    So, Mazda must have gotten a shot at reengineering that Duratec. Ford was making 200hp from that mill.

For whatever reason, the 3.0l Duratec (Taurus, Tribute) has been better than the 2.5l Duratec (Contour, MPV), so I say drop the 2.5l and beef up the 2.3l 4 banger.

The idea of cars sharing an engine with a truck doesn't sound so good, though.

-juice
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    Ford's Duratec V6 is not as smooth as Mazda's 2.5V6. When I test drove a V6 Tribute, the engine was harsher and louder than Mazda's 2.5V6. While the power of the 3.0 duratec is very good and pull the tribute very nice, Mazda and Ford better revised that engine for a sedan. I used to own a '93 626 ES and the engine was smoother and quiter than the duratec V6 on the tribute. Maybe it's because I'm driving an SUV, without much sound dampening and other stuff to reduce NVH, and I've never driven a Taurus with the same Duratec V6 in it. Anwyay, I'm still hoping that Mazda will provide those 3.0 V6 for the upcoming 626.
  • Although cute wagons (like Protege5) are currently in, it would be nice to see a 626 (or whatever its successor will be called) 2-door coupe. I currently drive a 2000 626lxv6 and would have gotten a Mazda coupe, if it was available. This will further increase Mazda's share. I still see a lot of Mx6s on the road; even after all these years, they still look good and sporty. I just don't care too much for the boxy and bland Honda Accord Coupe and Toyota Solara.

Since we're all dreaming, what about a special edition of the 626 (25+ or 30+ year anniversary edition) with more hp (jstandfer's 280hp), more aggressive looks etc?
    The 3.0L DOHC Duratec V6 is used quite often in the Taurus and is also used in the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type. The engine was originally designed for a sedan, and was later put into the Tribute and Escape, but of course, those two SUVs sit on a 626 platform. In the Taurus, Lincoln, and Jaguar, the 3.0L Duratec is very quiet and smooth. It's not quite to the levels of the Mazda 2.5L, but neither are most V6's. Unfortunately, the 2.5L is too small to remain competetive now, as the Taurus, Accord, Camry, Altima, Stratus, Malibu, Galant, Grand Am, and Jetta all have larger engines. The MPV will get the 3.0L Duratec for 2002 as well. The 2.3L Duratec 4-cyl will be the base engine for the 626 and Tribute.

dayokayode... I would love to see a special edition 626!! However, I wouldn't count on one as 2002 will be the last year of the 626 and I'm sure Mazda would be better off spending the money on the replacement. But, with Mazda you never know what to expect!! It would be nice to see an MPS (Mazda Performance Series) version of the 2002 626 with the Millenia's 210hp/210lb-ft 2.3L DOHC Miller-Cycle V6 with suspension upgrades and a slight body kit...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    i had read that they WERE going to make an MPS 626. I've actually seen it mentioned in a couple of different places as a sidenote to the MP3. But, who knows.

Hey, I'd be happy just to see a Millenia S (or an equivalent) with a stick. I'll take care of the other add-ons if I need to. :)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I dunno, the coupe market is pretty flat. The money's in sedans, sport wagons, and SUVs.

As much as like the Miller Cycle engine, US customers don't know enough about it. Mazda has spread itself too thin.

-juice
  • Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, I hear the next 626 is going to be built on the Mondeo platform. This
    was used for the contour which was a sleeper as far as handling is concerned. The mondeo is a good seller in europe and having drove a contour I think
    this bodes well for 626, I hate to see the V-6 KE go away lets hope the next power plant is mazda design. If you want to read about the KE-KL 2.5 V-6 engine go to:http:/www.highlandsun.com/hyc/sae9206677/

Tom
  • The next 626 is being built on the NEW Mondeo platform, which is worlds better than the previous platform on which the Contour/Mystique/Cougar sat on. This new platform had to up to par for Jaguar, since the new X-Type sits on it. BTW, the new 626 engines are Ford Duratec's. Both the 2.3L and 3.0L will probably be built by Ford in the U.S. because the 626 is built here as well. Meanwhile, the Protege will also get the new 2.3L, but it will be built in Japan by Mazda since the Protege is built in Japan.
  • Just saw the 2002 Camry this afternoon. Yuk! Is it me or is this car even more UGLY than its predecessor? It looks like a bloated Avalon (a car I never liked) or an Echo on steroids. I read that although they've bumped up the 4-cylinder hp a bit, the 6 cylinder is still rated at around 194 hp. Waiting to see what the new Accord will look like.

I hope Mazda scores with the new 626. If they can create an attractive and powerful car, they may finally have a winner on their hands and get people passionate about the car once again (just look at the Protege boards!).