Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Add me to the list of tranny problems. This on our 1995 V6 5 speed.

Our tranny service light went on for about a second, then stayed off. I checked the level, and it was low, so I added about 1/2 quart.

Well, we took a road trip and the light came back on another time, for about 3 seconds this time.

I'm going to do a full change this time, instead of just adding oil. 75w90, and I'll probably go with Mobil 1, which has worked well in my Miata.

So, questions, anyone know the capacity so I know how much to buy? The Miata took 2 quarts.

The clutch grabs nicely, so it's not slipping. I'm surprised but the problem seems to be in the tranny itself. Any suggestions or thoughts?

-juice
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    It's not the infamous automatic.

Everyone I know of with a Mazda manual has not had serious problems as long as they change and maintain fluids. My mechanic recommends every 30,000 with synthetic. He does lots of automatic transmission replacements, but hardly ever does manuals.

The only problem you see is a light. In my experience if manuals have serious problems, you know it right away.

I think replacing the fluids should be sufficient. Try Lubegard. It reduces acids and operating temperature.
    I hope you're right. The light went away, and didn't come on when my wife drove it yesterday.

She'd forgotten that I'd asked her to park it. I'm off tomorrow so the gear oil will be drained and refilled. We'll see. Fingers crossed that it's no big deal.

-juice
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    Onr of the reason I picked the Doubleought Freeport,juice,was to keep the wife in her car...
    ..she don't like my left-leg-flexor ! Bryan
    OK, gear oil has been drained and refilled with Mobil 1 75w90 GL5 synthetic. Took about 3 quarts, and the light has stayed off. Fingers crossed.

-juice
  • picenopiceno Posts: 55
    Mazda...what are you waiting for? Everyone is
    quickly and soundly leaving you in a cloud of
    dust! The 626 is an old, tired horse and needs to
    be re-designed as quickly as possible!!! Compared
    to the new designs of Altima, Camry, Passat, even
    the Protege.....the 626 is a JOKE.
    Mazda Wake up!
    So, tell us how you really feel? ;-)

It's on the way. I'm sure the design is ready, they're just fine tuning it. Sketches look very nice, too. Anyone know which car show it'll debut in?

The current 626 costs much less than any of the others you mentioned, except the Protoge. An Altima 3.5SE with leather and a moonroof cost a whopping $31,300 at a Nissan dealer on Rt. 450 in MD.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    around July/August '02. In the looks department, it's nice but not thrilling. As far as drivetrain and suspension it should be a real winner.
  • picenopiceno Posts: 55
    Do you know where I can see a picture of the Mazda 626 re-design?
    That makes it look like an A6 clone. The sketches I saw were nicer.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    where did you find them?
    Ah, much better than the A6 sketch, IMO.

It's funny. I saw the new Millenia at the dealer last week, and it looks a lot like the current 626 (I actually mistook it for a 626 at first glance).

Now the new 626 has headlights that look like the old Millenia. I think they just swapped them! ;-)

Let's see, I could do without the straight line above the grille, which doesn't match up well with the chevrons. I'm sure the US will get that chrome strip instead. I could take it or leave it. Other than that it looks good up front.

The profile is IS300-ish. I like it. The rear is nice too, those tail lights are en vogue right now. If you don't like 'em, you're too old, they would say.

Note that the blue is a sedan, while the yellow is actually a 5 door hatchback. But my pick is the stylish red wagon, easy.

Are those US models? Usually Japan gets different variants off the same platform. I doubt we'll get the 5 door hatch, for example.

-juice
  • WOW, I'm so happy to see how the new Mazda 6 (626) looks. It's aggressivly mean, european look and very sophisicated. Sweeeeettttttttt. If the advertise this car right, it could be a hit; eventhough those camcord dorks might say otherwise.

Since Mazda is probably not going to replace the Millenia, this is definitely my next car. Hope the bring in the MPS model of this car.

BTW, Edmunds got a preview of the new Mazda6

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/preview/articles/47610/article.html

Our patience with Mazda finally pays off.

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom-Zoom-Zoom-Zoom - That's 6 Zoom:-)

• BTW, how do those ppl over at vwvortex.com got pics of both RX8 and Mazda6 even before anyone else does. and it's a detailed pics too.
    There are lots more VWphiles. These (626) boards aren't very active.

Nice preview from Edmunds. Looks like a big improvement. The 4 banger will have 35 more horses, the V6 another 49! Both with variable valve timing and chain driven cams.

You guys were right about Mazda re-engineering the Ford Duratec.

I don't buy autos, but a 5 speed auto will be a selling point.

-juice
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    that sketch actually looks a lot like the new Altima. I think the sketch artist was exposed to the wrong car when he did the drawing.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    The upcoming '6' makes the current 626 look like a 1989 Hyundai!
  • vonn1vonn1 Posts: 26
    I have a 1996 626 LX with the 4cyl engine and automatic. The car has 67000 miles on it. It has developed an annoying issue where it stumbles at 2100 and 3500 rpm when driving. It does not stumble if the car is reve'd in park or neutral. I gave the car a tune up, but this did not help. My local shop could not find a problem and sent me to the dealer. The dealer charged me 80 bucks and said the codes checked out. It would appear that I have stumped the experts. I am hoping someone has had this issue and found a solution. Thank you in advance for any help to be offered.