Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626

Comments

• my horn just died yesterday, anyone had problems with them? How much they cost and is it easy to replace them?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,424
    very easy. just go to any auto parts store. Its one wire and one bolt most times. I think we're talking less than $10.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Not so fast. Where are the horns located on the V6 model? I could not find them at first glance in the engine compartment. Must be buried under something. So access may not be that easy. Second, if the horn does not work, it could be several things: horn itself (there is two: low and high frequency one), horn switch, horn relay, or wiring harness problem, or poor ground. Check the old horn by using jumper wires connected directly to the battery first to make sure that the horn is your problem.

An aftermarket $ 10 horn may not fit properly and may necessitate changing the wire terminal. Because most horns have only one wire, they rely on grounding through the body of the vehicle. So some horn problems may be caused by rust under the horn or rusty horn mounting bolt.
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    Our screamer(130poniesw/clutch) has been trouble free
    and a blast to drive. The on/off ramps are still a
    favorite playground with the tach straight up or a wee bit past!! We believe this was the best use of our $16K. Thanx edmunds for all the research data we
    used to arrive at this Zoom/Zoom. YyyEeeHhhAaaa
    A "screamer" with 130 HP? Does that mean it makes a lot of noise when pushed? Mine has 170 Hp and 5 speed behind it and it hardly qualifies as anything resembling a quick car.
  • Quiet, the 2.0-liter is not. And if you rev the living whee out of it, the way God and Mazda intended, it's even less quiet.

Besides, what kind of day is it when you can't do 5500 rpm on an on-ramp?
    Yes, these engines, even the V6 must be revved up considerably to produce decent power. At around 5k RPM in lower gears you can feel power coming on (at least in the V6 model) but the power band is rather narrow. The V6 is not quiet either and uses considerably more fuel.
  • p100 I disagree with you...2000 626 5sp V6 is a fast car...it is true that power comes after 4000..but then you still have 3000 rpm to go until redline and it pulls strong (0 to 60 in 7.5 sec)...friend of mine has 01 BMW325 and he is only a 3/4 of car length in front of me when we do some street racing(~0-70mph)...not to mention how this car handles..it is a lot of fun to throw it in the curves...if you want more low end power than you need to get a german car or american car...
    Moving from a 4cyl 5spd Taurus(MT5) w/100K+ we're
    thrilled and pleased with the Freeport. We understand
    the price of fuel and speeding tickets in Illinois
    are not coming down...so 130 ponies are plenty.
  • On the 2.0, it was originally around 4500 rpm, which required some serious pedal-stomping. For 2000, the engine was retuned, and peak torque was reached at a more modest 3000 rpm, perhaps to improve performance with the automatic; still, it remains slowish off the line unless you're willing to wring it out.

Which generally I am, once it's warmed up.
  • Tried to look for it yesterday but was unable to find where they hid the horn. Anyone knows horn location in this car?
    Thanks
    ZoomZoom626
    What is approximate top speed for a 1999 or newer 626 V6 5 speed? The car is geared really low and in fifth gear at 60 MPH the engine is doing 3000 RPM, at 80 MPH 4000 RPM. By extrapolation, 100 MPH corresponds to 5000 RPM, 120MPH to 6000 RPM. Theoretically the car could hit 140 MPH at 7000 RPM (the redline), but I do not believe you ever reach redline in fifth gear on the road due to limited horsepower - the aerodynamic drag is just too much. I would guess 130 MPH top speed at most.

The low gearing in this car is rather annoying - for highway cruising it really needs another gear. The high speed response in 5 th gear is also disappointing given the high RPMs. My 92 Protege LX with 1.8 l DOHC and 5 speed and identical gearing was more responsive at high speeds in top gear. Its top speed was about 120 MPH with 125 HP.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,424
    i forget exactly, but I do believe the V6 was electronically limited to 130 or 135 mph.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• not quite sure about top speed...couple weeks ago I was returning form TN and had litle fun on the road with a guy in protege5...at one point my spedometer was showing 135 mph(in 5th gear)...didn't pay attention to rpms as I was focusing on the road :-)
  • My friend is buying 98ES with a V6, is the V6 made by Mazda or Ford?
  • No Duratecs were installed in any 626.
  • It is indeed so, and I don't know why they thought it was necessary. (Fifth gear is 0.84, a true overdrive but not much of one. On the four-cylinder, curiously, it's a taller 0.76. The automatics have a stiff 0.70.)

Everything I've read on these cars suggests a top speed right above 130, after which the computer shuts things down, which I suspect is related to the specification of H-speed tires.
  • There's a little image of a trumpet below the flying-M symbol on the steering-wheel cover. Push somewhere around there.
    The other forum (Mazda 626 troubles) has been discontinued because the last post appeared almost two months ago. Nobody has anything more to say about their 626?
  • (waits for the giggling to die down)
    44K on our DoubleOught Freeport with only mods and
    preventitive maintenance receipts in my folder. We
    couldn't be happier with our purchase.
  • one question. how do you adjust the emergency brake on a DoubleOughtlx v6 auto? emergency brake handle comes all the way up.

thanks
  • not on the steering wheel but actual horn in engine compartment...I looked and could not see it anywhere?
    According to Haynes manual #61042 you remove a piece of console trim around the handbrake lever and then turn the adjuster which is right next to the lever. They recommend jacking up the rear wheels and then adjust the tension so that the brake starts to drag on the rear wheels when the lever is raised one click. I cannot confirm whether this is applicable to your car, but if you do not see any other adjusters on the parking brake cables under the car, it probably is.
  • At least on my '00. They're under the headlights and not especially large. (One's bigger than the other, which I assume is for purposes of harmony.)
  • if your parking brake handle comes up too high on your v6 626, you probably have a sticky/stuck caliper(s) in the rear. Way too common on that car. if you are able, crawl under the rear of the car and push on the lever where the cable is tied into the caliper. if it doesnt move, or if it does not spring back after moving, that caliper is junk. be sure to have the car in park, and the brake lever off before attempting. Pleas dont let the car roll over you-chock the wheels if necc.
  • you guys are the best!!! i will try that this weekend ,and i'll check it both ways.again many thanks
  • My 1996 626 (4 cyl. auto) is getting close to 85K miles, and I am thinking about changing the power steering fluid (with synthetic ATF). Anybody knows how to drain the old fluid? Should I try to siphon it out?
  • I don't believe there's a drain facility on the pump; siphoning it out shouldn't be too difficult. Capacity is about 1.2 qt of ATF.
  • I have a chirping sound coming from the front passenger side dash area. it sounds as though it is coming from the dash or under it. Can't really locate as I am driving at the time!!! Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?? I want to use a sledge hammer, this might not help. It happens on a variety of road surfaces. I really like the car in all areas, I know this is minor, but it effects me greatly.