Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Due to their lower cost, the older 1.6 VW diesel is used quite often in commercial refrigeration and forklifts. The belts are very easy to change and with scheduled maint, you rarely see piston hit a valve.

Anyway, I'd opt for a chain drive if I had my choice, but belts served a good purpose in the quest for better IC engines.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    $ 72?

Actually $ 70. This was the quote from my local Mazda dealer for a 626 V6 timing belt (99 model). I was off by $ 2, which would not even cover the tax (6% in my county), so no exaggeration here. $ 74.20 out the door.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    Well, I almost cashed the car in this morning. I saw a deer dead on the road ahead. As cars slowed, so did I. Just as I go to put on the flashers to alert cars behind me, WHAM, a second deer takes out my front left side and windshield. Shockingly, my air bags did not deploy. The damage doesn't look too bad; unfortunately, I just had the windshield replaced not too long ago. I'll need some body work on the hood, a new left corner panel, and some work to the bumper. I also need a new overflow jug, which is all cracked and leaking. Who knows what damage they'll find underneath. Great morning!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,913
    sorry to hear about your accident.

I'm not shocked at all the airbags didn't deploy. If they did, that would be a bad thing considering the deer hit the side of the car. Glad it reacted (or more like didn't react) the way it was supposed to.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Air bags should only deploy when they sense very rapid deceleration. (ie. hitting an object with enough mass to reduce the vehicle velocity). They will never protect from objects that would like to enter your car through the windshield.

What's for dinner?
  • slickdogslickdog Posts: 225
    I hit a deer with my 626 when it only had 3000 miles. The deer limped off, but probably didn't live long. My car needed a new hood, bumper, driver side fender, lights, but nothing underneath. Once I got over the initial shock of seeing my new car in that condition, I took it to my dealer's body shop. They did an excellent job, and I got it back looking like new! Three months later, someone threw a stone and gouged my new hood, but that's another story.
    I guess the only thing that rapidly decelerated was my back (and now my wallet). Despite the creases, I was easily able to open the hood. Everthing looked fine underneath. Maybe I need to get those deer whistles for the front end....oh wait, those attract deer, right?
    Be happy you did not hit a moose. I came upon one of those accidents when I visited Alaska two years ago, and it was not pretty. The car (Honda Accord) was totalled and the occupants seriously hurt. The moose cow was killed by impact and there was a huge pool of blood on the road because the poor animal was split open by impact.
    This board has been silent for weeks now.
    I figured everyone traded their 626's in for a real Japanese car!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,913
    a Mazda 6!!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

This board is really great. No posts for weeks on end. Nobody has any problems with their 626s? They must be better cars than I thought.
    he, he....amazing how a deer strike can improve my 626!! Actually, here's a list of my problems (which I am ignoring because I refuse to put any more money into this worthless car):
    1. rack and pinion steering slowly leaks fluid. this is my second R&P, and started leaking after only one year. I have added Prestone anti leak fluid, and it seems to be holding its own.

2. pin hole leak in front exhaust. Since it is covered by a heat shield, the hold has not expanded in over a year.

3. engine light comes on every week to remind me that my catalytic converter is malfunctioning

4. car is starting to burn oil. I'm down about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles; again, not enough for me to worry about.
  • zoomzoom626zoomzoom626 Posts: 124
    OEM (potenza 92)are wearing out and I need a new set of all season high performance tires. Any recommendations?
    My current tire size is 205/55/16 I would like to put on 225/50/16.
    Thanks
    D
    For H rated tires, I recommend either the P4000 by Pirelli, or the one made by Firestone that fits our car and is sold through Tires Plus. I can't remember the brand name, but I have its predicesor (Dayton Daytonas) on my 626, and it is the best tire I have ever owned. The new Firestone H rated tire has a technology that allows the tire to retain its "gripability" no matter how low the tread wear gets.
  • tahugorengtahugoreng Posts: 10
    Guys,

I am planning to buy a used 4 cyl, AT, mazda 2002. What is your opinion on this car? I have heard about the transmission problem, does this still occur on the 2002 model.

Thanks a lot for your tips.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    After the Mazda tranny problem or Ford should I say since 4 cyl trans is Ford(the 6 cyl unit is Mazda.) Mazda did improve the Ford Tranny in 1996 with a little tuning. Most of the problems with 626's were in the 94-95 4 cyl models.
    save your money now and go buy a used Toyota. While I don't believe the tranny on the 1998-2002 models are the same 4 cylinder junk they put into the 93-97 models, I still wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Take it from a 7 year 626 veteran who is crossing his fingers until the next well designed wagon comes out in January (and no, it isn't a 6!) Oh, by the way, I'm on my 3rd tranny, and my year is the "retooled" 1996. Don't believe it for a second. Spend your money wisely.
    Get a manual transmission 626, or another car. I have a sneaky suspicion that this 2002 was dumped by its original owner for a good reason. For one thing, the depreciation he had to swallow would be painful. It is quite possible that this vehicle has problems that nobody knows how to fix. Is this car on a deler's lot or is this a private sale? If a dealer is selling it, I would ask to contact the original owner and ask him about the car.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Posts: 765
    The last significant revision to the CD4E was during model year '99.

Over on the 626 Troubles thread, I noted that I wasn't having any problems with a similar '00, but wondered why a car only a year old was already on the used market. Apparently I'm not alone in my paranoia. :)