I have a 1999 Mazda 626 LX with the 4 cylinder and auto trans. We just bought it from my wife's grandmothre and it has basically been sitting for the last 7 years. I drove it back to Colorado from California at the end of October. On the trip I noticed the lights were pulsing. Not completely off and on, but definately bright, dim, bright. Not sure if it is related, but on Sunday my wife was driving the car and when she turned on the blinker, the radio went off. She then turned on the the fan and additional electrical things stopped working. This morning the radio and other electrical things stopped working on her way to work. When she parked, she turned the car off and it would not start. Several hours later it did start. However, she only made it 4 of the 7 miles home and it died. We jumped it and made it home, with a little adventure along the way.
When we got it home I chared the battery and test the volts with the car off. 12.3 volts. Then I started it and it only ready 11.5 volts. Assuming this meant an alternator issue, I started messing with the alternator plug. Unfortunately, I forgot to unhook the battery before I jabbed a pair of needle nose pliers into the plug. A big spark later and it cranks, but will not start.
Questions: Is my (initial) electrical problem the alternator? What did I fry when I shorted out the alternator plug?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
0 · ·