Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• svenjsvenj Posts: 19
    I seriously considered buying a 2000 or 2001 Elantra before winding up buying a 2001 Civic.

Styling is subjective. I loved the 2000 Elantra style, not very fond of the 2001. Honda styling has never impressed me, just their reliability record and gas mileage. I am growing fond of my bland commuter Civic though.

IF however 5 years from now I need another car and the history shows that a 2001 Elantra has held up just as well as my Civic and the price differential between the manufacturers is still there, I will buy a Hyundai.

Main reasons I didn't buy one
    1. Civic gets better gas mileage (of course I gave up the power the Elantra has though)
    2. Civic did better in side impact crash tests
    3. Still have reservations about Hyundais problems in the past, though I think they have advanced tremendously the last 3 years and if they keep it up they will set the bar every one else will have to match.

The Hyundais still strike me as a little bit of a gamble, but one with a tremendous upside and only a moderate chance of a downside.

Here is to hoping everyones cars last as long as they want and stay problem free.

Cheers.
  • I have yet to hear any good comments from a Hyundai owner of the 80's or early 90's. Where are they all at? Where are the stories of reliability? Hmmm..guess they had to sell their computers to pay for the repairs to their cars.
    I think the saying "you get what you pay for" sums up this entire forum. Sticking up for any car just because you own one may be a natural reaction, but it isn't the most credible. A non-biased opinion is what i look for. And i get that from businesses like Consumer Reports and Edmunds. I know what you Hyundai owners are thinking...."what do they know". Hey, it's your money, do with it as you wish. But if you go around bragging about your new car making it out of the driveway, you have to expect some other people to express their opinions.
    To say the Hyundai is as reliable as a Honda (Acura) is just plain lacking facts. The real fact is that they have a very POOR record of reliability. The fact is that Honda has a record of very HIGH reliability. Please research the material you plan to comment on. And don't accuse others of not having "backing" to their commments when you, yourself, lack facts.
    To the person who said that Japanese were once thought to be poorly built cars....ummm, you're just plain wrong. They were not liked because Japan use to be our enemy.
    Good luck with your Hyundais. If they last for you, i may go out and purchase one. Call me when it has 200k on it. Until then, I'll drive reliable cars.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    here we go again with that whole Honda is more reliable than Hyundai. I know, FOR A FACT, that both my 96 Integra and 97 Civic were two of the most unreliable cars - PERIOD.

So - Edmunds and especially CR are not correct.

End of story. Buy what you like.....don't worry about reliability myths unless it is a car that is constanty in the news or being recalled.
  • alese: I am sure you checked out your facts thoroughly as all Hyundai owners do before their purchase (sarcasm intended) so I am sure that your statement that Honda's weren't top-sellers 10-12 years ago is a typo just like that whole thing about Hyundais being as good as Honda. I say this because the late 80's was when Honda came into it's own and produced what would become the top-selling 4-door sedan in the Accord. But of course you didn't know that because you were too busy talking out of the side of your keyboard. Get your facts straight, and by the way I know Honda doesn't compare with Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes. That's Acura. Geez...you Hyundai owners need to learn better research habits. Oh but I guess if you did that you would have a Honda.

And as the previous owner of 2 Civics I have a right to be here and can speak from experience. And after seeing the frustrated and furious faces of Hyundai owners who try to come in and trade their cars (for a Honda strangely enough)I think I have a little experience there too.

justin: Obviously alot of people think Hondas are special. The Accord and Civic have won more awards and accolades than Hyundai has sold cars.

And actually since you asked, I have a completely stock '01 EX V6 Accord Coupe to go along with my 92 Integra with the only modification being a plus 1 upgrade on the wheels. And it's that cool factory electric blue color. An Integra vs. an Elantra? Should I start laughing now or wait until the tranny falls out of your Hyundai trying to keep up? Hey but since I'm a good sport I'll give you a ride to the nearest Hyundai dealer and then to the nearest Daewoo dealer so you can upgrade.

bri70: When Hondas became serious about building cars in the 70's (the N600 was interesting)they were considered to be reliable fuel efficient cars. In fact the CVCC was the only car to qualify for emmissions without a catalytic converter. 30 years later they are still the maker of reliable fuel efficient cars which are immensely popular and still the standard bearers in engine technology whether for performance or for the environment. Prove me wrong.

Let's see what Hyundai did in it's first couple of years.......ouch....never mind. Hyundai has been on the market for 15 years now and they have still not been able to overcome their crappy reputation. Even if Hondas weren't considered world-class upon their introduction, less than 15 years later the Accord was among the best-selling, most reliable cars in the country with the Civic gaining more ground every year.

I did an interesting comparison. I took a 1985 Honda Accord w/ 250,000 miles and did a trade-in value on www.kbb.com. That car in base form with no options in good condition reported a value of $750. This was approx. 10 years after it's introduction and is now a 16 year old car.

I took a 1995 Hyundai Elantra with 150,000 miles and did a trade-in value on www.kbb.com. That car in base form with 150,000 miles in good condition reported a value of $260. This was approx. 10 years after Hyundai's introduction and is now a 6 year old car.

alese: As for you saying that the Honda dealer was slow and the Hyundai dealer was very busy, that statement has no credibility and you know it. A quick look at any sales chart will prove this.
  • I am glad you said people should ignore useful information.....that's some real good advice. Yeah, you don't have to listen to unbiased, researched information. You can shop merely by price tag. After all, that is Hyundai's only proven advantage over Honda. If your Hyundai is what you wanted, then you should be a happy man. That's great advice....."don't listen to professional testing, research and reviews.....just buy what's cheap."
    I'll take that awful Integra off your hands, seeing as how its such a bad car you won't mind selling it to me at a good price, right? Forget book value buddy....who cares about value....sell that broken down Integra to me.
  • obviously, but your long and lengthy posts, you cannot accept the fact that hyundais are just as reliable as hondas now. Sure, the excel had problems. It was a lemon. C'mon. that was 10 yrs ago. If they still made cars like that, hyundai would have gone out of business a long time ago. but they listened and started building good cars. And resale is poor. Out of all those things you said, that is one where you are right on target. This is due to a poor reputation of the excel, obviously. But this is the past. I dont live in the past. I look to the present and the future. the past cannot be changed, but the future is what you make of the present. and the present and the future of hyundai is very positive and the resale is going up on hyundais.

So i dont want to hear "but the poor reputation of hyundai and the good reputation of honda" No way. Frankly, the elantra had one minor problem when it came out before it was fixed in 1995. timeing belt snapped if not changed around 60k miles. but if it was changed, engine ran fine. they had NO problems.

So inconclusion, the excel was a poor car. im not going to argue that. They dont make it now, do they? The elantra was a good car and is getting better. They had no major problems. cant argue that.

Whats most importantly is the owner and the care and maintance done to a car rather then the make and model. A properly maintained Yugo (i may be stretching it a bit, but you get the point)easily go over 100k miles if taken care of well. But i will guarentee you that a civic wont make it above 40 or 50k if abused and not maintained. it will die. but then again maintained well, it will run forever. its really the owner here, not the country the car is from. some people thinks ford sucks, chevy rules, etc. not the company folks, its how its maintained. ive seen both cars from each of those companies that go above and beyond

So my main point here is that both companies are reliable now. I have no problems yet with my elantra and i have close to 10k miles. One last saying to keep in mind that describes hyundai. "you may be a loser in high school, but cool in college" people change and get a chance to start over. that is what hyundai did and now they got a line of fantastic cars. and because it was cheap to buy, i plan on keeping it till the end. with a 10 yr warranty on it, my [non-permissible content removed] is covered and i can just by another car and use this as a daily beater because it was so cheap. so who cares about resale when your keeping it till the end?
  • My wife and I bought a 2001 elantra a month ago. So far, so good. I too was and am still a little skeptical about it's future. Why did we buy it? Well, they do seem to stand behind their cars, it is a great driving, powerful car, and my wife likes it, since she drives it. Like I said, we'll see. Our v-6 camry has also been great, so time will tell there too. My 94 geo metroid automatic work p.o.s. car with 125k miles surprisingly has been the most reliable car I've ever owned, and I drive the hell out of it. That car was designed as a throw away car, but I do perform regular maintenance, so I've avoided the pitfall of the "throw-away" stigma of that car. Hyundai was treated as a throw away car and therefore not taken car of, that's probably why many of them crapped out. Honda experience: I had a 96 ex 2 door with two problems. One, the outer cv boot clamp "fell" off at about 600 miles left in the warranty. Later an engine mount cracked (who'd figure) That was it. Other than that, it was a great car. But I like my toyota more--much quieter, quicker and bigger. It does feel a little weird being 26 and driving a car where the average age of the driver is 52 though. Friend: 98 civic lx 4 door. Dry throttle cable (not a big deal) Bad rotors--turned once, 2000 miles later shimmy like hell again. He's lived with the shimmy for 40k miles. He's going to get new ones, we think that the metal is contaminated. Car occasionally stalls at a light (idles down too low). Starts right up, but sometimes I felt that my civic also seemed to idle low, but it was normal. At 60k the pilot bearing began to get noisy in the trans. Honda "good-willed" it and fully dropped the trans and replaced all bearings in the 5 speed. (big deal). In other words, 2 hondas, one okay, one semi-problematic. He thinks he has a lemon. I don't know, maybe his car was finished on the assembly line on a monday or something. Point is I think that all cars, no matter what make, can have problems. I heard of a new bmw trans crapping out a few days after purchase, and a new S500 mercedes main ecu fry shortly after purchase. Sombitch if I'm paying 90k for a car and have a dead computer.

Oh yeah, my friend is an absolute maintenance freak (like me) and babies the hell out of the car. Seriously, he drives it like a damn granny and still has these problems. Yet people I know drive the crap out of theirs and go virtually trouble free.

Sorry to be winded (as many of my posts), but I think that all cars can have problems. Yes, Hyundai has had their problems, but I feel that most of their bugs have been worked out. Honda, toyota, lexus, do have proven records, and most people you talk to agree that they are the most reliable. But I feel that for 15k, Hyundai will be a good car (my opinion), even with their bosch engine controls. These bosch electrics can either be great, or a headache. We'll see. We won't abuse it, so I think it'll be fine. I visit most all forums here. ---No car is from their flaws, plain and simple. I won't bash any car manufacturer, I'm being honest--they all have their share of problems, some more than others. I hope that fellow 2k1 elantra owners have good luck as well.
  • bri70bri70 Posts: 147
    I'll tell you exactly what this forum is about. It about car buyers who have test drove both the Civic and Elantra and decided that the Elantra was the better value. Some still go with the Civic but as you can see many minds are open to change and Hyundai has succeeded in changing them.
    "Geez...you Hyundai owners need to learn
    better research habits. Oh but I guess if you did
    that you would have a Honda."

Let me get this straight. Your idea of research is to compare the two cars and then pick the one that costs thousands more, with fewer features, an inferior warranty and less power.

HAHAHAHA HA. That is funny.
    Hyundai broke sales records for every single month
    in 2000. In late 2000, three new models were introduced.

They seem to be able to put out new models
    quickly. Next year the Elantra will be available in a GT hatchback version. The Tiburon will get a new facelift and a V6 engine. The XG300 is also
    reported to be getting more horsepower.

Pricing is also expected to continue to creep up.
    Still, I read awhile ago that Hyundai has built one of the most advanced automated factories in Asia.
    Coupled that with labor costs being less in Korea
    they should still have an price advantage. There is even talk of opening a plant in the states.

The new Tiburon will have the third body styling
    redesign in 5 years. That is pretty nimble if you
    ask me.

Anyway stronger competition helps the consumer
    with all the automakers. Hopefully Honda will keep its prices in line and add more standard features.

Keep in mind that you CANNOT buy an Elantra WITHOUT power windows, door locks, mirrors, air-conditioning, and front/side airbags. CarsDirect lists the manual for under 12k. Then look at the equivalent 12K Honda Civic DX(CarsDirect). Look at the standard equipment available to you. I'm not making this up:

Front bucket seats
    Cloth trim

Oh, I've done the research. For me Hyundai is the better buy.
  • It was interesting to read your comment on your decision to go with the Civic juxtaposed to the Elantra. In my purchase of the Elantra '00, I similarly struggled in deciding which car to choose. Honda's laurels of reliability and precision craftsmanship is what continues to keep this car as a class leader in the compact market.

Contrary to clear logic, I went with the Elantra and really have no regrets to this point. This car handles remarkably well, and is well designed. I get the sense that at Hyundai, the company is directing its energy to dominating the auto compact market.

The deciding factor for me in choosing the Elantra, was of course Honda's prices. The Civic was considerably more expensive. For the price of my new 4-DR fully loaded Elantra '00, I was comparatively looking at a basic 2-Dr Civic '00 hatchback.

Given Hyundai's bedrock written five year "bumper to bumper" warranty, I feel that this is a good calculated risk.

I agree with you that the ultimate test will be how well this car "ages" in the next five years. If the Elantra ages as gracefully as the Civic, Honda will be facing very stiff competition in the future.

Right now, I'm pretty happy in knowing that if my decision should prove wrong, at least it would not have cost me anything because of Hyundai's impressive warranty. But so far, I am very impressed with this car's quality and performance.

Lots of luck and happiness in your new Civic... Bob MSEd.
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    aka their warranty plan is also another thing that draw me to this car. Certainly much better than Honda standard 3/36k.

Its funny that AcuraGRL mention about Acura being a competitor for Mercedes Benz or BMW. Someone that choose the Acura RL (flagship of the Acura line) against the BMW 5 series or the MB S series (or even Lexus LS430) can easily be put in the same position as people that choose Elantra over Civic in term of value. Except that the RL doesnt offers much against its competitor (it only has a v6 where everything else is V8) while Elantra offer much more than Civic in term of features.

Honda only enjoyed outstanding reputation here in the USA. Even in its homeland, Honda is an average performer. I guess its gotta be tough to have to go against a giant like Toyota, with minimal resources that Honda has.
  • elantra: I beg to differ on your comment that an abused Civic won't make it past 40-50k. We personally bought an abused 89 Honda Civic with 108k on it and drove it until 124k at which point I gave it to my sister who drove it for about another 20k and then traded it for a 1999 Civic. When we bought it it was not running because the timing belt had broken, the paint job was interesting to say the least, broken windshield, valve cover was in the hatch of the wagon, needed brakes, and 2 CV axles but we bought it for $550. With a total of $1500 it ran just like new and went to Florida, Ohio, anywhere we wanted to go including Canada with confidence. I wouldn't even buy a 98 Hyundai with that much wrong with it. But hey, a 1998 Hyundai wouldn't be worth the $1500 anyways. We also bought an abused 1990 Acura Integra with 132k for $2500. It had 3 different sized tires on it, the exhaust was falling off, the underside was brown due to all of the mud and dust (previous owner apparently lived off of a dirt road of some kind) and yet with about $800 total including timing belt and a CV axle we drove it to 166k and sold it for $3800. So just as you have your stories of abused Hondas I have my stories of abused Hondas. There would be stories of abused Hyundais brought back to life as were my Hondas but any abused Hyundai is sitting in the junkyard unable to tell it's story because they are worth so little the cost of repair is not justified.

bri70: No my idea of good research is knowing the facts and being able to back them up. A comparably equipped '01 Honda Civic LX is about $2,800 more than a '01 Elantra. According to www.kbb.com the Civic is worth $4800 more (98 w/ 30,000 example used) and according to Intellichoice is the among the least expensive cars to own over a 5 year period. Impressive considering how overpriced they seem to some people. So after 2 years you will have made back the extra $2,800 and made an extra $2,000.

The Tiburon keeps getting redesigned because of the hideousness of the thing. I'm sure more than one of Hyundai's designers saw a picture their 3 year old nephew drew and were like "hey that looks cool" then saw it actually going down the street and almost wrecked their cars because of the instantaneous vomitting and convulsions the Tiburon causes.

luifei: There are some major differences between comparing an RL to the Mercedes (the RL competes with the E-class by the way not the S-class), BMW 528, and the Lexus LS430 has left the RL's class in terms of engine AND price. It starts out at $58,000 vs the RL's price of $38,000. A Lexus GS300 is more comparable to the RL in terms of price, size, and engine and even it costs $9,000 more than the RL. The Mercedes E class starts out at $10,000 more for an E320.

But the biggest difference is that while the Hyundai falls flat on it face when comparing reliability and resale to the Civic the RL actually meets or exceeds all of it's competitors in resale and reliability. In the last JD Powers the RL was ranked THE most trouble-free car in initial quality.

And another fact that a little bit of research on your end would have produced is that Honda just overtook Nissan to become the #3 automaker in Japan. And Honda's limited resources have brought us cars like the S2000 (accolades), the Odyssey (accolades), the Insight (accolades), the CVT transmission (accolades), the MDX (accolades), the Type-S CL (accolades), the Accord (accolades including being named a 10 best car 15 out of 18 years by Car & Driver), the Type R (accolades). Geez...I'd hate to see what they would be capable of if their resources weren't "limited".
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    The 2001 RL MSRP is @42K while LS430 is @54K, only
    12K difference instead of 20K. There's approximately 23% price difference between them,
    similar to the difference between Elantra GLS and
    Civic EX, and you get that V8 in the LS430, while
    the Elantra at the very least has all the standard
    features of the EX and a better engine than the
    Civic, so why cant we compare them?
    The GS430 start @47K, more of a direct competitor
    for the RL, at least pricewise, although V8 vs V6
    translate to no contest in performance, and the
    E320 start @47K, only 5K differences not 9K & 10K.
    Get your fact (or at least your calculator)
    straight first before telling other to do so, (I thought you as a car salesman has to be at least proficient with the calculator?? Hope you dont mess up too many deals with wrong calculation). ^__^

At least you willing to admit that the RL really
    can't compete with the LS. Unlike some of Acura's
    owner who keep thinking that RL is a worthy
    competitor of the LS, and shunned when people
    compared it to the GS like you just did.

With the financial trouble that Nissan had in the
    past years, are you really surprised that their
    production & sales drop? They have to cutback,
    especially with new management in there.
    Also, Honda's posted a decline in revenue (around
    10-15%) due to yen valuation and stronger competition (can't recall exact number), while Toyota gain 10% in revenue.
    When their resources aren't limited, maybe they
    can try to catch Toyota's shadow, but at least for
    now, they have to survive and hopefully doesn't get buy out by another maker.

Sorry for the digress, now back to the regularly
    schedule Elantra vs Civic.
  • i never said honda was unreliable. Honda is a very reliable. I just dont apreciate you coming in here and bashing Hyundai. When you do that, dont expect not to be yelled at back.

But it really all has to to with how the owner cares for the car. You said those civics were abused. Yea, and look what happened. [non-permissible content removed] broke on them. CV axels/boots, etc. You invested money into them and then they ran fine. Being reliable means not having to mass amounts of money into it. but you dumped 1500 into that civic. The same thing could go for an excel when something broke and dumping money like that into it. Then it would run fine. So that really doesnt count.

So get your facts straight. Hyundais are reliable now...just as reliable as Hondas. Forget the past. The past does not affect us. Its over and done with. The present and future is what counts now. Your posts are based on passed cars. talk about present models because hyundai is kicking major [non-permissible content removed] now. You just cannot accept it and are bullshitting with passed POS's. Yea, Honda has a built up reputation. Hyundai is working on that now. Give it 5-10 yrs time and people will be saying "when did hyundai ever suck?" because at the rate they are going, they will have the same repuation as honda has now. That is the only defense you have here acuragrl: reputation. Value, performance, quality, engine, warranty, etc. all of those hyundai has bagged. End of story
  • recoup all your money. yea, $1,200 dollars is pretty close to 15k which is what was most likely paid for it. But again, this forum is not about old trash. YES, HYUNDAIS OLDER MODELS SUCKED, SO SHUT UP ABOUT COMPARING OLDER CARS. YOU WIN THAT ONE. IM NOT GOING TO ARGUE THAT. BUT THIS FORUM IS ABOUT THE 2000 OR 2001 MODELS. So forget passed experiences. Compare the 2001 or 2000 civic to the 2001 or 2000 elantra. The elantra has proven itself reliable over the passed few years. Lets do a side by side comparison and maybe i will get through to you.

Hyundai Elantra Honda civic
    -14 hp more then high end Proven civic reliability
    -Weighs 200 lbs more and still resale value
    beats it in 0-60mph
    Power everything STANDARD
    -equipped better and still cheaper
    -save about 4-5k with haggling
    -10 yr warranty

this is a no brainer. Now, can you argue this without hyundais passed experience with the excel because the elantra had no major problems. WE KNOW HYUNDAI USED TO SUCK, BUT THEY'VE CHANGED OR WOULD HAVE GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. dont argue resale because resale doesnt have an influence, because I plan on keeping the car till the end. So, with a great warranty to cover my [non-permissible content removed] till 100k vs the civic for 3 yrs. I end up saving even more money in case something goes wrong. So that on top up the thousands i save in the begining when buying it, its common sense to go with the elantra. In review, ask yourself this question: why would you pay more money for less of a car? Both cars are reliable now. Its been proven by Car and Driver, Daily record newspaper and a consumer digests best buy. If you dont plan on selling it...with that warranty, which is a wiser investment in the long run?
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    who said, that I said, to ignore credible advice? Was it "freak in a CRX".....? That says all I need to say.... Edmunds doesn't require it's "posters" to meet any minimum literacy standards, so I guess ANYONE can post here after all.

What I said was - CR and Edmunds and the like are not credible - certainly are biased. Let's face it - they have ideas of what they like as well.

What one should do is drive the cars they are comparing, if one is better than the other driving/feeling/performing wise, then that is the one to buy. Ask friends, ask co-workers. REAL people that actually OWN the cars...not just sit in them for a thousand miles. That is CREDIBLE advice.

The problem with the Honda owners is this: They can't stand the fact that their cars, while nice cars, have been AT LEAST "equalled" in the marketplace. The Elantra performs just as well, if not better in some areas, has nicer warranty, and the price is just the deal sealer. And why wouldn't it be? Call me cheap, but I would not be driving a Honda or a Hyundai if I had money to burn. And - the Civic is just not enough car for the money that Honda wants for it.

The reason that Hyundai's "rep" in the marketplace is bad is because it is treated as a throwaway car. I even treat mine like that.....but I can still recognize the fact that a non-throw away car (Civic - who wants to throw away $17k?) has NOTHING on the Elantra. Not even the "reliability"....

All I can say is - we shall see. Honda might not be "going down", but Hyundai has stepped up and improved. Sales prove it. In this time of economic prosperity, everyone can buy Civics and pay the high price , but they CHOOSE not to....if Hyundai's were bad, they would have been gone a long time ago. The fact that people buy Elantra's, yet have the money to buy Civics and Corollas, says it all.
  • alese1alese1 Posts: 28
    I'm so impressed. I've read your very extensive posts. If the Hyundai Elantra is not such a great car, why are you trying to defense your Acura (a/k/a Honda) so much?

We've heard you the first time.
    EVERYONE: Lets give acuragrl a round of applause.

OVER!

Now, let me tell you something, I do not need to exagerate or lie. I had the money to buy a Honda Civic EX '01 (i actually walked in there with cash in hand), but I walked out, not impressed with the car. I bought the Elantra fully loaded '01 and I so happy with it. It drives with so much power than the Civic, (even the Civic EX model). And to me HP is very important, especially for a car at around the same class (size, etc.). Did you check out the specifications for the Civic and compared them to the '01 Elantra? From your previous posts, I bet you didn't. Too stubborn to admit that the new Elantras are better then the Civics? Or too blind to see?

Also, my Elantra has the 10 yr bumper to bumper warranty and Powertrain warranty, I'm all set to go! And since you don't own a Hyundai, you really don't know that the warranty covers, well let me tell you, it covers everything! (except the maintenance, like an oil change and things like that). Also, I don't care about resale value, because I'm not planning to sell. We'll keep the Elantra to the end. I like to maintain my cars, I take good care of them, so I know my Elantra will take good care of me!

I agree with Justin00 that all cars have their faults. As long as you keep up with the maintenance schedules, and not abuse the car, the car should be fine.

The fact of the matter is that I've compared both cars, the Civic '01 and the Elantra '01, and for my reasons chose the Elantra. Plain and simple. Nothing more to it.

I just love the Hyundais so much, that who knows, in a couple of years, I'm even planning to stack on a couple of more cars, like the Sante Fe and the Sonata.

And for those Acura-Honda lovers of the world, be happy with your overpriced cars, but don't insult our "new generation" of Hyundais!
  • baberbaber Posts: 96
    I bought a 1977 Civic CVCC new in 77, and it was a piece of crap!! It did get 35 mpg WHEN THE ENGINE RAN, and used regular gas. But the engine ran terrible in cold weather. It generally hesitated and ran like a cement mixer. I had that piece of crap for one year before I traded it in. During that one year I had three recalls, head gasket, emission control, and new seat upolstery that was falling apart. I also had problems with squeeking brakes. The CVCC engine was just undrivable. So anyone who says CVCC hondas were great cars never owned one of them. Hondas have come a long way since them just as Hyundai has come a long way since the 80's.
  • The only part that really gets me is when people are fooled into believing that Hyundai is as well built and reliable as Honda. That is just too halarious! Like Justine siad, they let anyone post in here, factless people are welcome. This is the board to come to if you don't have any facts or knowledge on cars. Just say anything based on your emotions and see if you can get enough "Hyundai-buddies" in here to support you.
    Who needs credible sources like JD Powers, CR, or Edmunds? Who cares about resale value, or the security of knowing your car is going to be around for a long time?
    Ask your friends? It seems evident that if you're not a bright person, neither are most of your friends. Talk about bias, your friends are bias. I think I'll stick to professional research, and a proven reputation. You guys can stick to believing the Hyundai dealer down the block.
    If you want to ignore the reputations of the two car companies, fine. But you're only fooling yourself if you think that Honda and Hyundai are equal. If you can't rely on the past FACTS, then what are you suppose to rely on? High hopes it sounds like.
    "Oh they would have went out of business...blah...blah...blah. HELLO! They are bankrupt and no one wants to invest money in them. That shows that you're right for once. They are desperately seeking capital because they HAVE been building crappy cars.
    As for the sales figures mentioned a while ago, you just "happened" to overlook one very important fact and that is that Toyota and Honda established an excellent repuation for foreign car companies. I bet half of all Hyundai owners don't even know that it's not a Japanese car. Honda and Toyota plowed the way for Korea. Then Korea jumps in, selling their cars for about $5, and of course they are going to have good sales figures(thanks to T&H). Let's also take into account the growth of the population since the 70's that would account for a portion of the increase in sales figures.
    To show you I'm not as biased as you try to make me out to be, i stopped off at the local Hyundai dealership the other day. The new designs that Hyundai is bringing to the market is impressive. The Elantra has never looked better and the Sonata is beautiful too. They come very well equipped, and the colors that customers can choose from are also very nice. The prices are low, (not so low around here) and the salesman was knowledgable and helpful. I don't mind admitting to any of that. But don't talk crap and say that Hyundai is equal to Honda. No one knows if Hyundai has improved reliability. All you new car owners can't tell me that your car is as good. It's brand new, come on already....