Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• bri70bri70 Posts: 147
    Thank you for at least keeping this forum interesting. I do not mind a contrary opinion.

But... It would help if you had actually drove a 1999 to 2001 Elantra, Sonata, or even better an XG300. That way you would be able to see that the quality of Hyundai vehicles have greatly improved. If getting inside a Hyundai (which has a pronounciation very similar to Honda)is beneath you, perhaps a glance at Edmunds and other automotive reviewers can be enlightening.

You stated:"A comparably equipped '01 Honda Civic LX is about $2,800 more than a '01 Elantra"

You proved my point. You are spending more for a car with an inferior warranty, less power, and still has less features- where are the side airbags? Oh, another extra. Once again, with the 2001 Elantra- you can not buy it without side airbags. And you pay $3000 dollars less.
  • Hyundai going bankrupt? Thats Kia. Hyundai bought out Kia, dumbass. Kia was going bankrupt until Hyundai bought them. And how can they be going bankrupt when they introduced 2 new models this year, the XG300 and Santa Fe. You are right, someones facts need to be straight and its you.

You just cannot accept the fact that a "Korean" car is just about equal to honda. Well, accept it and maybe you wont be so damn ignroant. Listen to what Baber said. older hondas sucked. older hyundais suck. Hondas are good now. so are hyundais. this is all true. accept it. he has had no probelms with his accent nearing 40k miles. its all about the owner. what is your problem? from that last paragraph, i thought you sounded somewhat mature. but i was wrong. So take your 10 year old discontinued model Honda and get out!
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    There're some issue with Hyundai finance right now, but it has nothing to do with their auto division which is quite profitable. Hyundai financial problem comes from the manufacturing division and also from the family feud between the sons of the founder. Last I heard, they're restructuring those debt and solving other financial issue as well. By no mean they intend to sell the entire Hyundai conglomerate. Only a giant like GE can afford them.
    Freakncrx probably confused Hyundai to Daewoo.

I wonder if anyone has any figures regarding the total number of auto both Honda and Hyundai manufactured worldwide?

Freakncrx, you want to take that "i bet half of all Hyundai owners don't even know that it's not a Japanese car" bet? Hyundai owner aren't as stupid as you think.
    Btw, you wonder why people may think and choose Elantra over Civic? Lets see, Elantra has better engine, better waranty, better price, while Honda has its reliability and reputation against all that. That usually translates as better VALUE for your money. How hard is it to explain that?

Also Edmund, which you said yourself to be a very reputable sources in the auto industry, rated Elantra higher than the civic when they do their comparison (no.3 vs no.6, if not mistaken). C&D, another prominent source, also rated Elantra higher than the Civic on their comparison. Elantra is also a best buy in the Consumer Report/Consumer Digest.
    You see, even the experts & the professional reviewer (not just as biased hyundai owners) recognize something in the Elantra that makes its more worthwile than the Civic. Quite contrary to what you believe eh?

You can accept it or ignore it, but don't critize people because their belief is different than you.
  • To everybody whining about Hyundais and Hondas:

It could be worst...you could have purchased a General Motors product, certified by the kings of sloppy engineering themselves.
  • In the spirit of the anal retentive, on that last entry -- 'worse', not 'worst'.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    is obviously unable to step into the 90's (or the new millenium for that matter)- he is still stuck on old cars. Considering the name, it is no surprise. FREAKCRX - that little rust bucket has not been around for what? A decade? There was a reason Honda axed that car....replaced with Del Sol - then axed that car. We see how much the S2000 sells....He probably still thinks Hyundai sells the Excel and Scoupe.

Hondas are fine. They are smooth, efficient machines. They also happen to be more expensive than they need to be, they are not any more reliable than any other Ford/GM built here in the U.S., (except the Focus) and they are BORING. Except the Honda CL Type S.
  • bri70bri70 Posts: 147
    Just kidding. But I do love the Corvette and the new Cadillac Escalade is one kick butt machine.

Anyway DaimlerChrysler bought a 10% stake (with the option to purchase more) in Hyundai. Why would they do that if they saw no value in the company?
  • My response to all this silliness is:

To each his/her own!

I personally chose an Elantra because I saw the car and fell instantly in love with it! While I've only driven it 500 miles so far, it has proven rock solid in feel. No rattles, no oddities...nothing but solid feel and look.

And the roominess! Man! I'd have had to buy a darn Accord to match the interior roominess and accoutrements! No WAY do I have the money to buy an Accord! It feels like soo much more car than what I paid!

No, it's not perfect....but what car IS perfect?

No, it's not going to suit everyone, and that's why there are dozens of different car makes AND models to choose from.

The Civic is more in line with the Accent as far as roominess. However, the Accent is definitely more noticeable as a budget oriented car. The feel isn't as quality and comfort oriented as the Civic is.

With all this said, I find the peeing contest going on here to be rather...silly.

Mark-
    What else am I supposed to do while I am at work? Kidding...you are right....it is silly. I should just be content in the fact that I am CORRECT. ;)

The new Elantra's do look kind of European from behind....saw a pretty red wine colored one today...quite impressive.
  • baberbaber Posts: 96
    I agree, how can anyone compare an Elantra to a Civic? The Elantra is a much better car then the Civic, bigger, roomier, more powerful, better styling, lower price. Now the Civic has the upper hand in resale, and percieved quality. The Accent is about the size of the Civic, but MUCH cheaper. Funny, the Civic used to be a low priced econobox, now it's an overpriced econobox. A nice car, but not worth the price. After all, remember the Civic is still a subcompact economy car for the price of a compact or even a stripped midsize car.
  • alese1alese1 Posts: 28
    Can anyone guess who is the manufacturer of the robots that Mercedez Benz uses to assembly their cars?

Give up. Let me tell you.

Well, its nontheless, HYUNDAI! Yes, it is. Now, one of the most luxurious cars in the world uses Hyundai robotics to assembly their cars! Now, if Benz cars are assembled by a Hyundai robot, then who is assembling the Hyundai cars? Wait, let me tell you. Hyundai Robots!

Also, Hyundai uses the same 7-step painting process as used on the Mercedez Benz (of course, Benz uses much more coatings of paint).

By the way, I'm in no way comparing the Hyundai Motor Corp to that of the Benz, but just informing you on what are some of the strategies that Hyundai is implementing to improve their reputation, but still leaving in value.

Any comments?
    Sounds good to me. Let's just hope that MB is not taking ideas from Chrysler!
  • I'm not sure which group is whinier, the Hyundai people or the Honda people.

First of all, let's talk about the magical word named "quality". Quite frankly, its as much personal bias as physical reality. Case in point: Toyota Corolla vs. Chevy Prizm. These two cars are made at the same plant on the same assembly line and are identical in every way down to the last bolt. The only difference is the badge on the front. Public opinion says the Toyota's quality is exceptional. Yet, the Prizm's public perception is "not up to Japaneese standards". How can this be? Because people expect the Chevy to be worse since its "American". They'll notice flaws they'd gloss over in the Toyota.

Another case in point, Hyundai did a "blind" test of its new XG300 against a Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, with the badges removed. People generally rated the XG300 above the other two cars. Hyundai then did the test again with another group of people with the badges on. The result was that the Hyundai was rated the worst of the bunch. People have been conditioned to see the Hyundai as a cheap car, and so expect it to be bad.

So let's drop the mysterious "quality" term in favour of fit and finish. In this case, Acura girl is right. The Honda's fit and finish is exceptional. She's also right in the fact that Honda is a moving target. Hyundai may never catch up, but then again neither will Ford or VW or DaimlerChrysler. The latest generation of Hyundai has matched the previous generation of Hondas, which is not a bad thing.

The Honda also has the Hyundai beat in the resale issue. As Hyundai's quality has improved, so has its resale. It may never catch up with Honda or Toyota, but its finally reached "industry average". But lets talk economics here, a car is a depreciating asset, no matter what the brand. The fact that some people are talking about the Honda as some sort of investment is ludicrous. If your planning to replace your car every two years or so, it makes sense. However after five years or so the resale value of a car makes little difference.

So let's compare the two cars on their facts alone:
    Engine: Advantage Hyundai (140 hp vs. 127 hp)
    Wheels: Advantage Hyundai (15" vs. 14")
    Gas Mileage: Advantage Honda (32/37 mpg vs 24/33 mpg)
    Emissions: Advantage Honda (ULEV vs LEV)
    Ergonomics: Advantage Honda (By general opinion)
    Passenger space: Advantage Hyundai (94 cu. ft vs. 88.1 cu. ft)
    Cargo space: Advantage Honda (12.9 cu. ft vs. 11 cu. ft)
    Resale value: Advantage Honda (historically)
    Warranty: Advantage Hyundai (5 yr vs 3 yr bumper to bumper)
    Standard Features: Advantage Hyundai (Power group, A/C standard on single model offered)
    Safety Features: Toss up, ABS standard on Civic EX, not available on other models. Hyundai has standard side airbags in U.S.. In Canada (where I live), the Elantra doesn't have side airbags and ABS is not available at all (!).
    Style: Depends on your personal preference.

So there you have it. Based on my needs, I've decided on the Elantra as my next car. However, I won't ridicule those who chose a civic. My advice to the Honda people is to stop flogging the dead horse (or should I say Pony) of Hyundai's reputation, and for the Hyundai people to recognize the Honda has a very well deserved reputation for its superior engineering. After all, the Civics fit and finish is considered superior to many luxry cars, let alone the Hyundai.
  • Now THAT comparison is a well thought out comparison, covering the bases and also giving advantages to each where due.

Another point.. Hyundai front passengers and drivers fare reasonably well in crash tests (likely due to the front AND side airbags as standard equipment, but fare worse than average for rear seatc passengers.

This is acceptable to me because I very rarely carry passengers. To someone who maight carpool frequently, or carry children about, they might want to consider a car that fares better in crash tests.

Final note: I'm not certain if the latest Elantra model was tested or last years' model.

Mark-
  • svenjsvenj Posts: 19
    You are a voice of reason in the wilderness. :-)

I just bought a Civic, but looked very carefully at the Elantras before I did. For me the gas mileage and side impact crash ratings decided me in favor or the Honda. In most other aspects I liked the Elantra better.

If the Hyundais built today hold up as well as the Hondas and Toyotas built today 5 years from now; Hyundai will be the moving target that everyone else will have to chase.
    The Civics that are sold in the U.S., are built in the U.S. Trust me, they nice cars, and built well, but nearly as well as the Mexican made VW's even. Where is it written that the Civic has such a high build quality? Not any better than a Protege or Sentra or Kia or Daewoo, that I can tell. My 96 Integra and 97 Civic Coupe both developed rattles within one year of purchase.....

I think that Hondas are great, but perhaps just not built to handle the "abuse" that I heap on my cars. They are reliable - just not too "durable"...
  • About the Hyundai crash test. Only the 2000 Elantra has been tested. It did well everywhere except for the rear side impact, where it only got 1 star.

The 2001 Hyundai is scheduled for front impact testing in January of 2001, and side impact in March of 2001. You can chech the test results of the Hyundai (and any other car as far back as 1990) at http://www.nhtsa.org

For those who wish to know, the 2001 Honda Civic has been tested. It recieved 5/5 stars for front impact tests, and 4/5 stars for the side impact. Interestingly the extremely popular Sunfire/Cavalier has fared far worse than any other car in this class. 3/5 stars front driver's impact, 1/5 stars side driver's impact. Even the bargain basement Kia Sephia has a better crash score.
  • Well, the results spurred me into looking at the Civic. Guess what? It's been investigated a whopping 60 times since its introduction in 1974. The most common investigation? Seat belt failure and brake failure. It should be noted that 40 of the 60 investigations were for the pre 1983 models (remember at that time Japaneese cars were considered poor quality?). However, only a few thousand Civics were sold each year at that time compared to the 200,000 or so Excels Hyundai sold in its first year. Ironically, Hyundai was doomed by its own success. If the Excel hadn't taken off the way it did, Hyundai probably wouldn't have its reputation today.

P.S. The last time the Civic was investigated was in 1993, for steering wheel lock-up.
  • Sorry to bore you all, but here's one last statistic I found on the NHTSA site. The 2000 Hyundai Elantra has recieved 30 safety complaints. The 2000 Civic recieved 31 safety complaints.
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    Thank you for providing all the data!! It surely gives another measure when comparing these cars.
This discussion has been closed.