Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• schdyschdy Posts: 233
    That's funny! Thanks for the wakeup. I didn't know if I should crawl into the corner or just laugh it off. I learned to read the dates now. I thought when I click on new messages that I was reading recent news.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    ohhhh yeah
    It is easy to read the wrong ones, when you are used to them all being up to date. Hopefully the Edmund's crew will get all of these little bugs fixed where we can see the recent, and those since we last looked posts, sometime soon. They were hoping that it would be fixed this week, but....as you can see "the best laid plans of mice and men" sometimes comes back to bite us. ;) ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    It's ok that its old; it was still generally relevant!
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    When you are lauding the Hyundai you have to choose your targets and timing carefully ;)

Hey a new Hyundai might have advantages over a 6 year old competitor :P

Double Sixes,

MidCow
  • Ya know, I like your slant as I know this message is 6 months old. The bottom line is that Honda is a sell out as they are now with the UAW, which supports all this crap about paying unskilled workers astronomical amounts of money...oops to the future we go...sorry now we realize we've only hurt our employees and they have to take huge cuts. Honda is a sell out!!!! I traded my 95 Civic in for my 97 Accent. I liked my Accent much better as it offered more standards. I just purchased an 06 Elantra-loaded and got it for $5,000 less than I would have purchased a Civic for without as many options. Furthermore, Honda buys into the American auto philosophy...get a clue with the warranty!! Hyundai is a landslide over Honda anyday of the week. Let's face it, Honda has become very Americanized and it's product is showing.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,695
    Now that the '07 Elantra has been unveiled, we can see if it is a more worth competitor for the Civic. Safety-wise, it has matched the Civic in equipment with ABS, side bags/curtains, and active front head restraints standard. In passenger room, the Elantra is far ahead of the Civic with 98 cubic feet plus a bigger trunk. Equipment-wise, the Civic offers nav and a 5-speed automatic while the Elantra offers heated leather seats. The Civic also has an edge in fuel economy and slightly in power (140 to 138) while the Elantra has more torque. Hyundai claims the Elantra is quieter inside than the Civic and has improved ride and handling over its predecessor.
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    "Quiet" is probably the biggest reason I bought my 05 Elantra. Best in class, IMO.
  • njdevil1njdevil1 Posts: 45
    our 2005 elantra has alot more guiet ride than our 2005 civic. it also is alot more confortable on long trips. i do wish the elantra manual transmission was as smooth as the civic.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    I can't wait to test drive this car. It looks very appealing.

As I said a while ago, I'm looking for a second car in the July-August area. This car is on my list. The only worry I have at the moment is safety. The new Entourage scored a gold rating. I hope the Elantra does well. Crash safety is very important to me.
    You may have to stretch out your buying timeframe unless fall comes early where you live. ;)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Just quick scanning this forum as my son may be interested in an Elantra. A few pages back there was a give & take on trade in value of Elantra vs Civic.

Trade in value is probably the original scam in the car dealing game. If you're satisfied with wholesale on your trade you'll get a lower price on the new car. If you want top $ for your trade you'll pay a higher price for the new car. The net price comes out the same.

But then there's the old trick of trading in one brand for a different brand. The new brand salesman knows you want to change brands so he'll trash the brand you are trading in and low ball you. Likewise, trade within the same brand and the dealer will make it look like your trade is worth more to reinforce your decision to buy that brand again due to it's high resale value.

When my 05 Sonata was 9 months old I saw the dealer I bought from had the exactly same equipped car, even same color, with 18K miles on his lot for $1K less than I paid for mine new. Dealers often make more $ on used car sales than they do on new.
    I would think you'd be pleased about that. Not much respect for the IQS?
    w00t = yahoo! or whippee!

The link, by the way, has changed; they moved it from the jdpower.com server to the jdpa server. The new link is now

http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006082
    Oh ok. I thought with the "pblt" emoticon you weren't too happy about it.
    No, it just looked like a more gleeful expression than the grin or smile.
  • bevandjimbevandjim Posts: 1
    My husband and I are looking for a new 4 dr sedan. We have narrowed it down to a Honda Civic LX or a Hyundai Elantra, both 2006. My husband bought me a new Tiburon in 2000 and I love it. I have read a lot of posts on here and am a little reluctant about the Civic for the difference in the price. Anyone else have a Hyundai Elantra or any advice? We got a quote on the Civic of $17,700. not inc. tax, title, etc. There is currently a $1000. rebate on the Elantra plus $500. customer loyalty since we own one Hyundai. We don't purchase cars often and don't do a lot of driving. Only looked at the Honda because of gas mileage and resale value.
    I think the 2006 Civic is a very nice car. I own a '04 Elantra GT 5-door (fully loaded including AT) and owned a '01 GLS for 5-1/2 years before sellling it recently to my sister (she loves it). At the time I bought my Elantras, I thought they were very competitive with the Civic, and it was no contest for the GT because Honda doesn't offer a Civic hatch and I wanted a hatch at that time. So if you really would like a hatch, it makes your decision much easier.

The 2006 Civic is much improved over the 2001-05 Civic. I think it is a superior car in most respects to the current Elantra. The Civic shines in fuel economy (although I am happy with what I have received on my two Elantras), safety (IIHS "Gold" rating), powertrain (smooth engine and transmissions), and refinement. I think the Elantra has perhaps the most comfortable driving position in its class (thanks to the 8-way seat), a very smooth and comfortable ride for the class (esp. with the GLS and Limited sedans), very good quality (the 2006 Civic has had some teething pains, the Elantra is an old and tested design), and of course is an excellent value.

What it boils down to I think is if the advantages of the Civic are enough to justify its price premium over the Elantra, assuming you like driving both cars. Also, be very tough negotiating on the Elantra. It's an old, outgoing model (all-new Elantra due shortly) so there's no reason to pay over invoice before rebates.
  • jlemoinejlemoine Posts: 25
    For overall value and quality you can't beat the Elantra. Right now looking at competitive models the Civic will run you arounf 18K , the Elantra around 14K. Big Difference. The better warranty goes to the Elantra, I know I've heard it all "The Civic will never break!!! Tell that to anyone with a big repair bill when they still have years of payments left and no warranty!!! I own a 2002 elanta GLS and with 60K on it not even a rattle. Handling is fine for me but I'd guess the Civic would have superior handling at high speeds if that is you thing. Bottom line is both cars are fun to drive and both are a quality product. Question is does owning a Civic justify a 4K premium, not in my book and especially with all the first design year issues that are popping up.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    Personally I don't like the looks of the new Civic, and I wanted a hatchback, so those were two strikes against the Civic right there.

And while the Civic gets great reviews, the fact is that the Elantra is still a fine car. And, I drive a lot, so I like the longer warranty, and the 5 years of roadside service that's included (although Honda may have something similar. triple who?).

If you feel you can wait a couple of months, the 2007 Elantras should be out soon, and at that point you can have the fun decision of choosing between a 2007 Elantra, a Civic or, likely, a 2006 Elantra for a really reduced price.

You likely won't go wrong with any of those choices. Sorry to be of no help in the decision making process here... :P
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    we own both a 05 civic ex-se and a 05 elantra GT 4-door with manual transmission. The elantra is a better riding car with more standard equipment at a lower price. I do not know about the 06 civic but I like the looks of my 05 civic better.We do not get that much more mpg on the civic. we average 25,000-30,000 miles a year.The civic does shift better.
  • cjgtcjgt Posts: 28
    I have to say the more I drive my Elantra GT the more impressed I am with it. That's saying alot when you consider my GT is almost 5 yrs old, has over 100,000 miles on it and has been in an accident with a Dodge 1500 pickup at 40 mph. One tough little car. I rode in my friend's 06 Civic and it's pretty nice but I can't see spending more money for it over the Elantra if you are looking for the best bang for the buck. The current Elantra is a little long in the tooth now but still competitive. I think that alone is a testament to how good the car is. :D
  • i've been driving my GF's civic lx lately, and i'm thoroughly disappointed with MPG. we avg. so far around 24.6mpg(50/50) the best was 28mpg(30/70), and the worst was 22.5mpg just my last pump. she bought the civic mainly because of the looks and MPG, but 22.5 is very disappointing.

here is my brief review of civic(1200miles so far)

1. i'm not too satisfied with fit and finish. it's honda and i expected better from them. a panel below the steering wheel is misaligned, windshield wiper makes noise, and the back seat window seal(rubber thingy) sticks out a little. also rear pumper on the right sticks out more than the left side. i would say 7.5 in build quality.

2. vibration, and A/C noise too often too loud.
    3. radio-sound quality is not as good, and AM is very very bad. our focus zx3 had much better radio quality.
    4. noise when i drive backward. sounds annoying and very loud.
    5. tan cloth. although it looks very good, i'm little worried that it would be very hard to take care of it. both driver and passenger side is getting dirtier, and stain is very hard to remove. we should've bought the grey interior. we were forced to put an aftermarket car seat over them.

6. i don't like the location of the parking break. my right thigh is leaned against it often, and it's very uncomfortable.

7. i hate openinig the trunk manually. wish i had the keyless trunk open button like all other cars.

8. the last 2 fuel bars are acting very weird. the orange indicator comes on when you are down to 2 bars. few miles later suddenly the both bars disappears for awhile. 10-20 miles later 1 bar comes on, but it kinda freaks me out because i ran out of guess alot with my old firebird(guage didn't work properly)

well, it's a nice little car with good looks but there are many room for an improvement. just my 2 cents.
  • jlemoinejlemoine Posts: 25
    I'm buying another Hyundia Elantra!!! Own a 2002 Elantra and test drove the Civic. The new Civic is a nice car had as much pick up as my 2002 Elantra and was just as much fun to drive. It came down to giving the Honda dealer 5 more grand or taking the wife on a nice vacation and buying another Elantra. I keep my cars forever so resale value means little to me. I still can't see all the fuss over the Civic I honestly don't see any better quality in the Honda's than the Hyundia's so my choice was easy. I really believe that if Honda believed all the hype as much as some consumers they could offer a equal warranty. They won't because it would cost them money because even Hondas have problems. I really like to see some statisics percentage wise as to how many Civics vs Elantras are still on the road with 100K miles or more, I'd bet percentage wise their in the same ballpark. Hey! it's your money!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Regarding Honda and longer warranties, here's a comment made by a Honda official in response to Ford offering a longer warranty:

Some automakers worry that long warranties send the wrong message. "We see it as a sign of weakness," Honda Executive Vice President Dick Colliver says.

Honda and longer warranties

Maybe just a little arrogant? :confuse:
    Not so much arrogance as typical marketing B.S. If you don't have something the competition does, you try to make it sound like your competitor's advantage is a disadvantage.

I suppose Honda thinks that the longer warranties offered by many of the luxury makes are a sign of weakness, too. ;)
    In addition... did Honda think it was a sign of weakness when they increased their powertrain warranty to 5/60k not that long ago? Then it was probably a testament to the great quality of their products. :)
    i'm not too satisfied with fit and finish.

vibration, and A/C noise too often too loud

When I was shopping last year, I went to a Honda dealer expecting great things, and I was rather disappointed in the fit and finish and the road noise in the car. I really wanted a hatch with an AT which was not offered in the Civic, but even if it would have been available, there's no way I would have bought one.

In pictures, the new Civic looks downright awful to me. But when I see them on the road, I find myself doing a double take and saying "ooooooh!" quietly to myself. They look much better in person.

But if the fit and finish and road noise is still not too hot, I don't think it's worth the money.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Love my Civic and admit I did like the Sonata that I rented for a week. But found the Elentra just awful in so many ways. The seats were like rocks, similar to my '03 Sentra. The gadgetry just didn't have the preciseness(?) that all Hondas have, that certain feel that the big 3 Japanese companies have with their switch gear & ergonomics. The mileage of the Elentra is closer to that of the Sonata, which wasn't acceptable. Lastly, there's still that Korean stigma that can't be denied. Seems like the Korean cars are still behind their Japanese counterparts...like the last generation of their cars.
    Was impressed with the Sonata, but wouldn't want to buy one. The quality just isn't there. I'd rather pay a bit more for the quality and precision of the Japanese brands. But that's just my personal opinion, not trying to offend here.

The Sandman :) :)
This discussion has been closed.