Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    That's what we're here for. Let's work on that, okay? :D

Some posts have been removed.
  • The car was 21 months old and a one owner accord. It had 28480 on the ODO when I bought it from an Acura dealer. I still have this car and still drive it although it now has rattles and sounds from 200plus miles of wear and tear. The dealers are TOO GREEDY and refuse to negotiate on the prices of these new autos and their service dept. do the routine of "I'm sorry Ms. Jones we can't replicate your complaint", when there is a problem. If I don't have confidence in their service personnel then I feel aleig nated and can't see laying down 20K$$ for a civic or acccord or any other Honda under those circumstances. Then when their work falls apart at 12500 miles and they refuse to fix their obvious lack of quality work it became a no brainer that I shouldn't buy another Honda. So I'm in the hunt for QUALITY from the get go-- not bring it back and we'll see IF we can fix it!!! I don't see ANY CONSISTANCY in any auto manufacture of building QUALITY like they use to!!! :) :D :cry: PS.. it had all the maintence it was suppose to have at the time and I had the papers so they could n't get away without doing the work , its just that their work didn't last long and then they refused to fix!!! :cry:
  • That is 200K miles and 12years and 6mo.of use!! :)
    we are done comparing the subject vehicles??
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    No, some of us would still like to keep to the topic.

For example, there was a comment a few days ago about the Civic being "safer" than the Elantra. I think it's premature to make that assertion, but the Elantra did get a "Good" score (best) on the IIHS frontal offset crash test, which is a good start on the safety front.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,805
    No, we are not.

The other day I decided to check out the two (Civic and Elantra) since there is a place where the dealerships are right next door to each other (OK there is a self storage place in between). The Civic looks nice inside but was a little to small for me. Seat was ok comfort wise but nothing to write home about.

The Elantra was just as nice inside, fit and finish comparable to the Civic, but it was much roomier. And even though I was mildly disappointed in the new Elantra from the sitting in the two cars I like the Elantra much better.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

to both of you! :)
  • I heard a story on the news about a woman who bought a car that was about 2 years old and looked brand new for her son. After she bought it, she later found out that car was in a wreck and the previous owner had it repaired to the point that it looked new. But the engine still had problems. Now the woman dreads about her son's safety every time he's out driving the car. Did you check the carfax report, if there was one back then? Did the previous owner wreck the car, then had it repaired? Maybe you can contact Michael Finney at ABC channel 7 news to get help resolving the problem like the woman did. Go to http://www.abc7news.com: Contact 7 On Your Side. They're the last people you seek for help when all else fails.
  • kwk1kwk1 Posts: 39
    Carfax is a joke.
    Last year I went to look at an '02 Civic LX.
    It was considerably cheaper than most of the other ones for sale. I noticed the paint was a different shade on the driver's side quarter panel. I question the guy about it, "Oh, I was in a fenderbender." After looking over the whole car, I take down the VIN# and then he tells me it was a write-off!! That's all fine and dandy.
    I get home and run a Carfax on it. Absolutely nothing shows up on it. Since then, I have no faith in Carfax.
    Carfax is a joke.

I wouldn't go that far. While a clean carfax report doesn't mean the car is perfect (carfax even says so on their website) if something does show up on the report you know that something is not right.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    After looking over the whole car, I take down the VIN# and then he tells me it was a write-off!! That's all fine and dandy.

What is a write-off in terms of a vehicle?

I would not expect a fender being replaced to show up on Carfax.
  • Your are right, Carfax doesn't tell the whole story!! Think of all the people who get their vehicles repaired at their own expense and then sell you their car. If there was no police report or insurance claim, it will NOT be on the carfax. I know from the experience with my late Fathers truck that this is the case since he wrecked it while living with me and he was not charged and he paid with his own money to get it repaired. The carfax hasn't shown this yet!! So DON'T BELIEVE that carfax is ALWAYS correct!!! ;) ;)
    If there was no police report or insurance claim, it will NOT be on the carfax.

Not always true, if the repair shop normally reports things to carfax then it will show up.

• My engine has been great from day one its the power steering that has been a pain in the ------!! The paint on todays cars are a joke, in less that 5 years its peeling, fading and otherwise deteriorated to the point it needs repainting. OF course unless you keep your car in a parked garage most all the time!! With 200K miles plus on it now no one really cares about bad paint and leaking PS units!! There was no evidence the car had ever been wrecked and it was a one owner. My grievance is with HONDA! Their shoddy work and then their refusal to fix their work has alienated me from expecting anything good from them. All the problems this CAR OF THE YEAR is having is further proof that HONDA has definitely gone way down in QUALITY and SERVICE!! ;)
  • Well I'll just have to get another carfax and see if anything has changed!! I don't expect it has! ;)
    Let's move on back to the subject. Thanks!
    I am not saying that it would be on there, just saying that it could be. There is a difference.

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Let's hear the good, the bad, or the ugly!
    I would like to keep this discussion open so I'll be removing posts without notice unless they are about a Civic or an Elantra. Thanks.
    moparbad,
    A write-off means the insurance company deemed the cost of repairs to be more than the vehicle is worth. Therefore, you are given market value for the car, and have first rights to buy it back from the insurance company. Otherwise, it goes up for auction to anybody. A lot of times, people buy these cars at the auctions, fix'em up, and sell them. They must still pass a safety inspection, but nonetheless, have had major damages.
    There would have to be more than a fender damaged for it to be a write-off.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Thanks kwk1

Totalled is what a write-off Civic or Elantra would be called in my experience.
    You're welcome.
    In Canada, we use the term write-off, maybe in the US, you use the word totalled. Could be a little confusing I guess.
    I love Mopars too, I have a '73 Dart Swinger 2-dr hardtopimage with 57K on it, all original.
  • Eldaino - just an afterthought, if the 06 Civic was so great, why replace it with a Rabbit so soon? And also to keep with the correct topic, did you go check the Elantra against both of those cars?

I'd be glad to hear your comparison of the 06 to the 07 Elantra.

Thanks!
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    Wow i'm suprised no one asked me about this before! Me and my wife just got married in sept ont the 30th and we wanted to kind of get rid of some major bills, carpayments mostly. She had a 03 mazda protege 5, (handled great, but had a nice set of transmission problems) and she had negative equity on it because she got it when she was younger and optioned it out and needed monthy payments that would be doable, even if they lasted forever (the reasoning behind this is another long story but i'll omit that portion.) We decided to trade in both of our cars and end up with one payment, less gas wasted (yes i know it gets worse milage, but the amount we spend on gas is still less than we did on both cars combined.),and its one less car to insure so our insurance went down too.

We knew no dealer would give us much room with the whole negative equity on her car, but the civics resale value, (even after only a year) helped out a bit to counteract that. We knew though, that we would have to aim for a car that didn't top 18k so that things could relatively stay doable and as far as a car payment and not financing for forever and a day. We wanted a fit, but it was impossible to find one and all the dealers were wanting us to put NON REFUNDABLE downpayments on them without even knowing what color it would be in. We then decided on a civic coupe, but the dealers we went to again were not willing to negotiate on anything. So we went to the vw dealer as an after though and there was our little 2-door rabbit, united grey, 6speed auto, alloy wheels 175000. Perfect. I afterwards realized that i was kinda glad that i stayed out of the civic; as excellent of a vehicle i think it is...its something a lot of people are driving. We've had our rabbit for 3 months and have seen 3 of them: one by my work (a 2 door) one the day we bought ours (another 2 door) and a four door a few weeks ago. We are very happy with the purchase, so i hoped that answered your question. (Man this was way off topic!)
  • Honda Civic owners... dealership experience?

vs

Hyundai Elantra owners... dealership experience?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Went with my father on his trade-in of an Accord on a 2007 Civic EX Sedan. He was given the keys to one in the color he wanted, around 5:00 PM, and told "as long as you are back by 7, which is when we close, take your time." We have an extended relationship with this dealer, as they have ALWAYS given us good service and sales support.

The sales manager actually conducted our deal, which he gave us blue-book value on the Accord (something I double-checked), and several hundred below invoice on the Civic.

The finance manager asked them if they were interested in the other accessories or warranty deals. Mom and dad said they wanted mudguards, but nothing else, and that was the end of the "add-ons" and "protection package" discussion.

They drove the car the first night, and signed papers the next, and drove away in their 2007 Civic EX (Atomic Blue!) happy as clams.
    That would really only be a useful comparison if it were limited to the specific dealerships in your area. There are "good" and "bad" dealerships of both makes, actually that's true of all makes. The maker doesn't control the attitudes of the dealerships.

A comparison of corporate experiences might be useful, but fortunately it's not very often that people find themselves having to go above the dealership. Still, there are some makes that, in my mind, offer very poor corporate support based on consistent reports I've read here over the years. Neither of these makes are included. :)
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    we bought both our civic and hyundai from the same dealership so it was the same for both- excellant. They built a separate dealership for honda-it is now next to the hyundai dealer but the service has not changed
    Well my dealership (Elantra owner) has been pretty good. Seven years later and my salesman is still there and he remembered me when I just cruised in their a few months ago just to look. Had to have warranty work done (Exhaust manifold cracked at 115K miles, the only issue I have had) and had no problems with the service. Just dropped it off and picked it up later that day, done no questions asked.

• slip7slip7 Posts: 7
    I had a 1989 civic that I bought new. Ran it for 9 years and put 225k miles on it. Pretty reliable car, but not without faults. It was not a comfortable car to drive. But dollars and economy were high on my list so I put up with the seat. It only cost me $7500. The Civic was one of the cars I considered on my recent purchase. I test drove both a manual and automatic Civic. I was in awe of the cool looking dash, but the seats were just like my 89. Hate them. No room in the car. No thanks! I test rode a value packaged Accord and liked it. I probably could have gotten one of those for around $18000. A paid a few thousand less for my Elantra. So far I love the Elantra. Hope I made the right decision.
This discussion has been closed.