Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• Agreed on the room. I looked at "compact" hatchbacks, and the Elantra was the roomiest of the bunch. It's either a large compact or a small midsize.
  • jkobbjkobb Posts: 51
    One of the things that sold me on my Elantra (05 GLS ) was the degree of comfort it had . I actually think it has better comfort than the 2000 Altima that I traded in , which is a bigger car by the way . Once you get the seat height, tilt, and lumbar set just the way you like along with the smooth quiet ride it is very nice .There are several other things that sold me on the car which have been mentioned in other posts like price , rebates,style,power,warranty,etc., but I was most impressed with the comfort level . Which to me is more important than being a sreet racer . So I guess my question is even though I think the new 06 Civic is a very nice car also , how does it compare on comfort ? :confuse:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I found the '06 Civic LX's driver's seat to be OK, but I wished the front edge of the seat bottom could come up just a bit more. Some people (including some reviewers in magazines) have complained about the Civic's lumbar support being uncomfortable, but I didn't notice a problem there in my short test drive. Another complaint on the Civic for some drivers is that their right knee hits the parking brake lever. Again, that was not a problem for me but I am relatively short (5'10").

The thing I keep coming back to on the Elantra is just how well the car "fits" me. It's nothing flashy and the interior design is getting dated, but the driving position is great, the seats are firm and comfortable on long trips, the displays are clear, the switchgear is straightforward and silky, the ride is quiet and smooth for a small car. The Civic is a fine car also, but other than its better fuel economy (especially with the automatic) and "Good" IIHS side impact result, I still prefer the Elantra--and I much prefer its price! If the price were the same or close, I'd opt for the Civic due to its crash safety, fuel economy, and historically high resale value.
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    The thing I keep coming back to on the Elantra is just how well the car "fits" me. It's nothing flashy and the interior design is getting dated, but the driving position is great, the seats are firm and comfortable on long trips, the displays are clear, the switchgear is straightforward and silky, the ride is quiet and smooth for a small car.

Wow. I could have almost written that word for word, Backy. And thanks for convincing me to take a second look at the Elantra last fall. It turned out to be a great choice.
  • njdevil1njdevil1 Posts: 45
    we also totally agree with the both of you about the elantra. we always use the elantra on long and even short trips. our honda civic has become a recluse in the garage. we are considering getting rid of it if we like the 2007 elantra. we will see. we have the 4-door gt which is no longer. could you let us know why you like the 5-door.
    could you let us know why you like the 5-door.

Personally, I just like having either a wagon or hatchback in the family for hauling. I'm not about to buy a pickup truck, so the utility of a hatchback is the next best thing. I've already used my 5 door for hauling oversized items that would not have fit into a sedan, even one with fold-down rear seats.
  • schdyschdy Posts: 233
    I beg to differ with you. Read the newest quality ratings. Hyundai is in the top 5. Also I just sold a 2002 Sonata for $12000 that I paid $17000 4 1/2 yrs ago. Next I sold a 2002 Elantra 4dr for $7000 that I paid $9700 for almost 4 1/2 yrs ago. I don't think that that was too shaby. And my phone was ringing off the hook.
    thanks for your reply. we do not do very much hauling except when we moved from PA to North Carolina in November. You would be amased how much stuff we fit into our elantra with the rear seats down. we also think the 4-door has a quieter ride.
    And I forgot to add in my reply that I never had to use my warranty in the 4 plus yrs on either car!
    do you realize that you replying to a message that is 6 years old.
    That's funny! Thanks for the wakeup. I didn't know if I should crawl into the corner or just laugh it off. I learned to read the dates now. I thought when I click on new messages that I was reading recent news.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    ohhhh yeah
    It is easy to read the wrong ones, when you are used to them all being up to date. Hopefully the Edmund's crew will get all of these little bugs fixed where we can see the recent, and those since we last looked posts, sometime soon. They were hoping that it would be fixed this week, but....as you can see "the best laid plans of mice and men" sometimes comes back to bite us. ;) ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    It's ok that its old; it was still generally relevant!
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    When you are lauding the Hyundai you have to choose your targets and timing carefully ;)

Hey a new Hyundai might have advantages over a 6 year old competitor :P

Double Sixes,

MidCow
  • Ya know, I like your slant as I know this message is 6 months old. The bottom line is that Honda is a sell out as they are now with the UAW, which supports all this crap about paying unskilled workers astronomical amounts of money...oops to the future we go...sorry now we realize we've only hurt our employees and they have to take huge cuts. Honda is a sell out!!!! I traded my 95 Civic in for my 97 Accent. I liked my Accent much better as it offered more standards. I just purchased an 06 Elantra-loaded and got it for $5,000 less than I would have purchased a Civic for without as many options. Furthermore, Honda buys into the American auto philosophy...get a clue with the warranty!! Hyundai is a landslide over Honda anyday of the week. Let's face it, Honda has become very Americanized and it's product is showing.
    Now that the '07 Elantra has been unveiled, we can see if it is a more worth competitor for the Civic. Safety-wise, it has matched the Civic in equipment with ABS, side bags/curtains, and active front head restraints standard. In passenger room, the Elantra is far ahead of the Civic with 98 cubic feet plus a bigger trunk. Equipment-wise, the Civic offers nav and a 5-speed automatic while the Elantra offers heated leather seats. The Civic also has an edge in fuel economy and slightly in power (140 to 138) while the Elantra has more torque. Hyundai claims the Elantra is quieter inside than the Civic and has improved ride and handling over its predecessor.
    "Quiet" is probably the biggest reason I bought my 05 Elantra. Best in class, IMO.
    our 2005 elantra has alot more guiet ride than our 2005 civic. it also is alot more confortable on long trips. i do wish the elantra manual transmission was as smooth as the civic.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    I can't wait to test drive this car. It looks very appealing.

As I said a while ago, I'm looking for a second car in the July-August area. This car is on my list. The only worry I have at the moment is safety. The new Entourage scored a gold rating. I hope the Elantra does well. Crash safety is very important to me.
    You may have to stretch out your buying timeframe unless fall comes early where you live. ;)