Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• elvissselvisss Posts: 14
    This dealer offered 24000 OTD for a base model if i buy tomorrow, the price is good.

but i am really concerned about the engine performance, should i bite it?
  • overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    He his cutting $3k from the sticker price? That sounds very aggressive. I was able to get less than $1000 of MSRP on my car in late July.

The car isnt slow compared to any other four cylinder sedan or crossover on the road. C&D got 0-60 in 8.7 secs which is faster than an Accord EX automatic. The only four cylinder car in this price range that is notably faster is the CC because it has a turbo 2L with considerably more torque. Even the much celebated Sonata is capable of only 7.8-8 secs to 60- hardly a major advantage that would noticed by the average driver. The Regal is slow compared to a V6 powered car, not compared to other midsize sedans with comparable power.

The crossover segment is booming and almost every I4 powered crossover on the market is slower than the Regal and yet people manage to drive them every day without an issue. Everything from the Mazda6 to the Accord to the CR-V is no faster than the Regal.
    edited October 2010
    yes, the dealer is willing to give me a blue color one for that price.

the only thing holding me now is should i wait for the turbo version which is going to coming out in Dec. I really hope the turbo one will give performance a much boost.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    It's a great price on a car that you admit you're not thrilled with. Buy the car you really want, if you can wait for the turbo.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 417
    I would wait for the turbo. All the reviews I have read say the turbo is much more refined and enjoyable to drive.
  • If price is a major factor, go for the CXL at $24K. That's a good deal. The turbo will cost you $30K minimum. Not worth that much extra $$ to me.
    well MT is the only magazine that has posted any performanc results for the turbo- 7.5 secs which is an improvement, but not a huge one. The turbo needs premium fuel as well and gets slightly worse fuel economy. The extra passing power would be nice but I dont do a lot of highway driving so the 2.4 works fine. Its much slower than my old car but the reality is its as fast as at least 40% of the cars on the road today- let's not forget most Accords and Camrys are four cylinders.
    Yeah, I would think supplies of the turbo are going to be tight for months so a deal would seem unlikely. They are supposed to hit dealers in November but it could be months before an adequate supply is built up.
    The turbo is faster but I would leave it at that. Both engines are refined and handling is impressive on the base car. You can get better handling (or at least more control) if you get the turbo with the IDC package and 19" wheels.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited October 2010
    Horsepower for the CXL turbo is comparable to the '06-09 Fusion 3.0 V6, so considering the Buick's greater curb weight I would expect 0-60 in the mid to high 7s. The big advantage of the turbo Buick is in torque, which would show up more in 30-50 mph passing times, and in "real-world driving."

The GS, at a probable 260 hp, is another ball game entirely.
    Faster yes but I've read overall refinement as well. I'm trying to find the articles now:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2010-09-09-test-drive-buick-r- egal_N.htm

"Impatient? Wait only a couple of months until the 2-liter, turbocharged model hits showrooms. We got an hour in a very preproduction version, and it was as good as the non-turbo was bad."

"In our minds, there's no point to the non-turbo, 2.4-liter car. In Buick's mind, the non-turbo's $2,500 lower starting price, $26,995, will make all the difference in sales, so that one's here to stay."

http://www.autosavant.com/2010/06/02/first-drive-2011-buick-regal-turbo/

"When I started the Turbo I felt as though I had found a paragon of four cylinder refinement. The Turbo’s drivetrain was quieter, less frenetic, and it shifted more smoothly than did the base car’s with the 2.4 liter direct injection four cylinder. The Regal Turbo is not only more refined than the 2.4 liter Regal, but far quieter and placid than GM’s former applications of the related 2.0 liter turbo direct injection fours found in the likes of the Cobalt SS Turbo."
  • Faster yes but I've read overall refinement as well.

I interpret your last paragraph differently. The main point the author is making refers to GM's former turbo's : "...but far quieter and placid than GM’s former applications of the related 2.0 liter turbo direct injection fours...".

The DI 2.4L in the Regal is plenty quiet and refined.
    Have not driven the turbo obviously but I can tell you the 2.4L is plenty refined. I doubt there are any mechanical differences between the engines related to NVH- they are from the same architecture afterall. The 2.4L is as refined as any competing four cylinder in my book.
    I think its funny when auto journalists dismiss price differences in cars they drive for free. The USA today reviewer says the base car is pointless because it only costs $2500 less than the turbo. He ignores the facts that a) the turbo isnt even available yet b)$2500 means something to people who are actually paying for the car and c) the base car runs on regular and gets slightly better mileage.
    Just read it- I don't think highly of Healey's reviews in general, but this was one of his worst. His impressions of the car contradicted almost everything stated in other reviews. If he has that much trouble figuring out the basic controls perhaps HE has the problem and not the car. Other reviews raved about the refinement of the car and the transmission performance. As an owner I can verify the tranny is very smooth and always does the right thing. That was one of the most inaccurate and biased Regal reviews I've seen so far- in fact its the only negative review I've seen on the car.
    Mostly concerned about this sentence:

"The Turbo’s drivetrain was quieter, less frenetic, and it shifted more smoothly than did the base car’s with the 2.4 liter direct injection four cylinder."

I've learned to take reviewers words with a grain of sand. I'm not saying they are right or wrong, just something to consider when you're asking "Should I get the base or wait for the turbo." IMO if you have a choice, wait for the turbo. Test drive them both and make a decision.
  • I gotcha. Depending on your driving style and environment, the turbo may well be the best choice. If you have a need for speed, drive in higher elevations or regularly have heavier loads, then definitely wait for the turbo.

For my driving style, and at the lower elevations I drive in, the base DI 2.4L will be fine. I'm hoping to find a gently used CXL next year for $20K. If not, I may well end up in a Malibu or Cruze.
  • Just got my December issue of Car and Driver and in it is a comparison test between the Regal CXL Turbo, Acura TSX V6, and the VW CC 2.0T R-Line. The Regal placed last and the CC placed first. In the article, they praised the Regal's looks inside and out, the solid structure, and the light steering.

Their complaints mostly centered on the engine and the hefty weight. Here is one quote : "This Buick's 3772 pound mass explains most of the lethargy. But, jeez, how could the Regal's engine be thirstier then the Acura's monster V6?"
    And another quote: "Equally disappointing, there's a grittiness here that, combined with the turbo's part throttle hissy whistle, aurally wends its way too freely into the cockpit. It isn't that the engine is loud - it isn't. Rather, it's a murmuring metal-on-metal hubbub that registers the moment the starter is engaged. At any speed, this engine announces way too proudly that it's a four banger."

They also mentioned that the car simply doesn't engage the driver handling wise like a BMW 3 series or Audi A3. And they complained you sink into the seats too much.

Their verdict was: "All the right stuff is there; it just needs some finessing." They also suggested Buick needs to look no further then VW's turbo if they want to perfect it.

In other words, it was another very good try, but GM still hasn't got the formula quite right.

Here are the performance figures:

0-60mph: 7.5 seconds compared to 6.0 for the TSX and 6.4 for the CC
    5-60mph: 8.3 sec compared to 6.2 for the TSX and 7.2 for the CC
    top gear passing power from 30-50 mph:
    4.4 sec compared to 3.1 for the TSX and 2.7 for the CC
    top gear passing power 50-70mph:
    5.1 sec compared to 4.1 for the TSX and 4.4 for the CC
    top speed was governor limited to a test topping 150 mph
    braking from 70 mph was the shortest at 172 feet
    the engine was the loudest at idle but the quiestest at full throttle
    average gas mileage over 900 miles was 27 mpg, not bad at all, but the VW pulled 29 mpg.

Base price for the CXL Turbo is listed at $29495 and their car totaled $35185. The VW CC totaled $32200.
  • Since the Sonata 2.0T was mentioned many times in here as a possible competitor to the Regal Turbo, those cross shopping these 2 cars should look at the same magazine I just mentioned. They did a short take on the Sonata SE 2.0T. They praised the "no waiting throttle response, turbo torque, impeccable road manners, and great value". Their test example was very green (only 367 miles) so performance figures should improve some, but it still did very well. 0-60 in 6.2 sec, 5-60 in 6.7 sec, top speed 153 mph, braking from 70 in 180 ft, and average fuel economy of 24 mpg (note: short take tests don't involve much more then performance testing so this number should be much higher under more normal circumstances). Base price was $24865 and as tested it was $27465.

It should be noted that the Sonata's impressive horsepower is achieved on regular 87 octane gas. Quite impressive for a turbo motor!
    i pulled the trigger and bought a CXL two days ago, the price was just too good to pass, $23,200.

Blue exterior, cashmere interior.

For turbo, i might need to pay 3k more, which i really could not justify.