Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    I would much, much rather achieve 26 mpg in a car I dearly loved to drive (puts a smile on my face every time it lays me back against my seat at 80 mpg in southern Utah or West Texas) than achieve a minuscule 4 more mpg in a car that just ambles leisurely along.

That is not to say that a leisurely car is problematic, I simply prefer the raw power of the SS combined with very good gas mileage.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,744
    Well, you raise an interesting question. The Impala is built on GM's old W-body platform, as is my '09 Allure/Lacrosse. As an older platform, it lacks a lot of the hi-tech geegaws that newer designs receive. It is also less rigid but trades that off for lighter weight. It may not be quite as good in a crash, though I do not know that for a fact.

For what I would spend on a Regal GS or a 2011 Lacrosse CXS, I could have bought an Impala SS or, even better, the Lacrosse Super, with the V-8. Now, it would look old-fashioned inside and out, and the dash designs are old-style, and some of the materials were not as good. But it is roomier and probably a lot less expensive to fix should something go wrong.

Is it progress? From the point of view of looks and efficiency, probably so. But my '09 Allure, with the ancient 3800, put out 200hp and 230 lb-ft of torque. That's more power than the base Regal has. Even with the old 4-speed automatic, my car moves quite well. I have driven the base Regal, and it might be a bit quicker off the line than my car thanks to the 6-speed transmission, but the rest of the time it drives pretty much the same. I like the size and handling of the Regal compared to my car, but it isn't a huge leap forward. But it is new and stylish and has all the tech. I'm happy with my car and feel no urge to upgrade right now.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    edited November 2010
    Somebody driving a V8 powered Impala states they get 26mpg hwy. A car that's rated 16mpg city and 19mpg combined. Sure you can 26mpg if you drive 65mph on a level highway, but that's far more than that car will ever average.

And yes, I don't need a 300hp engine while our planet is down to it's last 38 years worth of petroleum. I do fine with cars I can average 26mpg in, thank you.
  • Priggly -

Let's keep the politics out of this discussion. You've swerved pretty far in the last couple of posts, and are starting to get shrill. And speaking for myself, I personally don't want to read rants about liberal lunatics, scientific conspiracies, and Al Gore's beach mansion, or claims that these people are ganging up and wrecking the world (and depriving everyone of cheap gas and a good time, just because).

There are other blogs for that sort of thing, filled with like-minded people. And talk radio.

Make sense? Let's talk about cars.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Give it a rest, priggly. You're obviously immune to any point of view beyond your own.
  • A $27k car is not a premium car in 2010. A loaded Camry, Accord or Malibu will cost you over $30k so how is a $27k Regal "premium" in terms of price. Sure, the interior and warranty is superior to those cars but at the end of the day it's still a midsize family sedan.
  • Impala SS was rated at 15/24 or 16/24 which is hardly the same as 19/30. If you think you need 303hp to get around every day there is no wonder you hate the Regal so much. GM's V8s with cylinder deactivation do well on EPA tests but real world mileage has never lived up to the EPA numbers according to magazine results. Average mileage for V8 powered cars with AFM has been in the mid to upper teens in magazine tests. The LS4 was a nice engine but the days of V8s in FWD cars is over.
  • 1. Regal Turbo starts at $30k, not $34k.

2. A base TSX has about the same level of equipment as the base Regal Turbo. The TSX has HIDs and memory standard which the Regal lacks. That's where the equipment advantages end.

3. C&D just tested the two cars and the TSX V6 got to 60 in 6 secs vs 7.3 for the Regal- a whopping 1.3 sec difference. Again, the gap wasnt surprising considering the 60hp advantage of the Acura. The TSX tested was over $3k more than the Regal and the Regal had better braking, a quieter ride and equal or superior skidpad grip. Regal has more cargo and rear seat room, larger wheels, adjustable suspension and better styling as well. They also said the regal handled better.

4. Plenty of BMWs have had "adequate acelleration" until recently. The last gen X5 came standard with a 260hp engine and a near 5000lb curb weight. This version was rarely ytested but 0-60 was likely in the mid to upper 7 sec range. The last gen 528 had only 230hp standard and with an auto likely needed mid 7s to hit 60. Same for last gen X3. The 328i with an auto is probably slightly faster than a Regal turbo. The manual car was capable of a mid 6 sec run to 60.
  • Your position is that any midsize car or crossover with a four cylinder is too slow. FINE. That is your opinion and there is no need for you to talk about the Regal or any similar vehicle any farther. The FACT of the matter is that the Regal is as fast as at least a dozen other cars and crossovers sold in the $25k-$30k price bracket. Its acceleration is adequate for a midsize sedan with a 2.4L engine. If you think its too slow that means you find this class in general to be underpowered. Thats cool, but you wouldnt be looking at the Regal or any similarly powered cars anyway so you might as well stop ranting. Again, if you think 303hp is the baseline for necessary hp than its obvious the Regal isnt your cup of tea. In fact, you wont even be satisfied by the GS so I dont see ANY regal that will be up to your standards.
  • Think about it this way:

The Regal has 28less hp and 58 less lb ft of torque than the Lacrosse and weighs slightly more and is about 1 sec slower to 60 while getting better mileage. The Lacrosse was rated at 17/25 and could get to 60 in about 8 secs. Sure, it was faster than the Regal, but not by a huge margin consdiering its power advantage. After Regal production comes to Canada I expect electric power steering to be added which should boost mileage by at least 1mpg.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    If your post(s) wasn't/weren't directly about the 2011 Regal, that explains their absence.

Please note that my statement above is not the opening shot in a debate about our policies; thus, emails justifying the removed conversation will not receive a response.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I would like to thank our hostess, kirstie_h, for getting us back on track.
  • 1. The regal currently only has one engine and will have three. That means there are THREE levels of performance that will ultimately available to owners. If you dont like the base model there will be 220hp and 255+hp version of the car available. Projected 0-60 for the GS is 6 secs which is almost as fast as the Impala SS. If that aint fast enough for you I don't know what to say.

2. The base regal starts at an affordable $27k. That is NOT a premium price and few "world class" luxury cars are available at that price. Even though you refuse to admit the obvious the fact of the matter is that the base Regal competes with the higher end four cylinder sedans in the segment and most of those cars have comparable hp and acceleration.

3. Your posts about CAFE and being forced to drive four cylinder cars were not relevant to the Regal discussion.

4. I tend to disregard most overly optimistic accounts of mileage from users. We know that magazines drive test cars in the same way so we can see how various cars stack up when they are tested. If you do 100% highway driving in ideal conditions the SS may average 25mpg but reality is most people don't do all or most of their driving like that. I can tell you the folks in my city driving Impala SS are probably seeing 12-13mpg at the most.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    I get your point, but at the same time I think you need to realize your Impala would not be getting 26 mpg highway were it not for mandated fleet averages. Automakers without threat of gas guzzler taxes would not have been likely to produce a 300 hp vehicle with such good mileage. And, yes, newer is not always better, but 2.4 liter 4s and 2 liter turbos do have more hp and mpg than 6s and even some V8s of 10 or more years ago, and do it with less emissions. Furthermore, though your Impala is a good vehicle, it makes do with cheap interior finishing. The Regal looks like real class by comparison.
    Actually, I prefer to think of the Impala's interior finishing as minimalist and not at all "cheap,"

It is very functional, everything works, the ergonomics are top-notch, the Bose audio is fabulous, the high-quality leather seats are very comfortable -even on long drives - the steering wheel size and location are perfectly suited to my size and body habitus, the heated seats have two levels and are highly effective (both seat and back) and the overall interior experience is highly salutary.

There is one more very desirable feature which I believe is unique to GM. While driving in Canada I can set the instruments including the speedometer to metric units (L/100 km) and while driving in the U.S. (which is most of the time) I can set the instruments to Imperial/English units (mpg). This is so very convenient and beats the heck out of the both systems appearing on the same dial, one smaller than and concentric with the other.

I have no complaints at all with my SS's interior or any other part of it for that matter.

I don't know for a fact but I hope the new Regal uses that same measurement conversion convention. Anyone know?
    Can't wait for the GS to get here!

It is the one car that might entice me out of my SS but I doubt it?

Anyone know is there is going to be an AWD configuration?
  • Anyone see Ellen give away a beautiful Regal on her show last week? Buick is trying hard to get the news out about this car.

This is the first Buick that looks good inside and out (I did like the Reatta, but the interior was typical blocky GM style with digital gauges and plastitrim..yuck!) and I can honestly say I would consider buying it if I had the money. This car easily trumps the TSX in style. Gas mileage needs to be improved though.

Does anyone else think a 2 door Regal would look quite elegant? Riviera perhaps?
  • My parents have an Impala LTZ so I know a lot about the car. I wouldnt call the interior cheap it all but its not on the same level as the Regal. The Regal has better materials (especially the armrests and stalks), LED backlighting, better steering and of course more features. The Impala hasnt really been changed in 5 years so naturally the regal seems more impressive. That said, the Impala is fine for family use and rides well and quietly.

Regal doesnt have the ability to display in english and metric on speedo because its from Europe. GMNA vehicles have the same feature the impala has but GM's imports do not. Regal does have aux digital speedo in the DIC that can be viewed in english or metric though.
  • GM hasnt confirmed FWD or AWD. Concept was AWD but Lutz indicated the real car may be FWD to keep weight and cost down. Keep in mind an AWD GS would be closing in on 4000lbs. The Opel Insignia VXR is around 4000lbs with the turbo V6 and AWD.