Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited May 2010
    Actually the only one that is available right now is the CXL with the base engine. It's nicely equipped but is not even remotely a "performance model." This CXL is probably going to be the volume model, but I haven't seen a single review of it anywhere (though the Turbo, which won't be available till fall, is getting lots of press).
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 574
    edited May 2010
    USA Today auto writer James Healey gives the new Regal good marks:

USA Today Autos

:blush: Here's my comments:

The new Regal looks pretty good. I saw one at my local GM dealer and was impressed. I would wait for the turbo engine though. The base engine is barely adequate in what is supposed to be a sport sedan. The GS will be the real performance model though.

I hope GM can find some weight savings in future product offerings. 3600 pounds is a tad heavy for a car this size and hopefully the next generation will come in under 3500. GM is still on life support in my mind and is in no position close to an IPO and gov't payback this year. If a true economic recovery takes hold in the 2nd half of 2010 (a big if), GM should be able to pay back all the taxpayer bailout funds through an IPO within a year.

Then maybe they can put some of the ugliness behind them and move forward profitably. The next few quarters will be critical and the new Regal provides GM with a product to help the cause.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 418
    This new Regal is in an interesting niche. They mention it's geared to fight the TSX and Volvo S60 market in a few articles I've read.

I'm still trying to get a handle on what this car is though. Cross shopping it with the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata, the Buick is less powerful and heavier yet looks like it will cost more. Does it offer a more luxurious ride or better features?
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Posts: 419
    Why did GM marketing choose such a boring name for this new model? Invicta, Wildcat, Electra, Centurion, Skylark, LeSabre . . all would have been better than Regal. Ditto with LaCrosse, which they can't even use in Canada . .

You have to wonder . .
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Hmmm....not sure I agree with you there. I think "Regal" is fine. Dignified. Suggests luxury. Easy to pronounce and spell.

Invicta - sounds like a curse. Too close to "invective." Wildcat - not for Buick's demographic, and not for this particular car. Sounds like street-racer wanna-be. Centurion - Lots of Buick buyers might not want to be reminded of how close they are to the "century" mark. Although "Buick Century" - that sounds good to me.

Skylark - wasn't that one of the sportier and less expensive Buicks years ago? To me it sounds like a name that would fit better on a convertible. Sounds somewhat feminine. Not a problem for me, but might be an image thing for male buyers.

Le Sabre - fine in many ways, but didn't the previous Le Sabre have quality control problems?

"Regal" to me doesn't have any of the bad connotations of some of the others. I wouldn't be embarrassed to say I bought a Buick Regal. I can't imagine myself saying I bought a Buick Wildcat. Just doesn't sound right.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Have you seen in person or sat in a new Regal?

It is worlds ahead of anything Kia or Hyundai make including the new Sonata. It is more posh, more refined, has a better interior and probably a better ride although I cannot say that for sure because I have not yet driven the car. It also has a very rich feature set.

With the turbocharged engine it should be an excellent performer.

GM's dealer network is also superior to either Kia or Hyundai in both the U.S. and Canada and that is an important feature if you travel much in the wide, open spaces.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,203
    The last time I was at a Hertz counter there was an obviously foreign Asian man at the gold counter asking about getting an Optima. The Hertz guys told him the Camry was a nicer ride and that is why they didn't put their Optima's on the gold customer list. Don't know which he ended up taking.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    I have sat in both. The 2011 Sonata and 2011 Regal both have very good interior finishing (although I think the real improvements to the 2010 Sonata over the similar 2006 may have been cheapened in the 2011 restyle). I prefer the Regal styling, even though the Sonata is more "in yer face." I have no idea how you can infer that the ride of the Regal is better. Both have powerful turbo engines waiting in the wings. The Sonata is really a quality piece and has the advantage right now (these things change all the time) of a better exchange rate/profit margin. Saying the Regal, which I like very much, is worlds ahead of the Sonata (or the even better 2011 Optima) seems a bit of an overstatement.
    edited June 2010
    I didn't say the Regal had a better ride. I said it probably had a better ride. After all, it is a Buick, isn't it?

Don't try to twist what I said to suit your own opinion. It is my opinion that the Regal indeed is worlds ahead of the Sonata.
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    In MT midsize comparo test new Sonata was only 3rd or 4rd after Camry and Fusion mostly because of ride. My expectation is new Sonata like older one is Camry wannabe, i.e. Asian version of Buick. Now Regal won European COTY and Europeans do not take quality, ride and handling lightly. It is reasonable to expect that Regal will ride and handle better than Camry and Sonata. It is also more expensive than Sonata, I do not know why anyone compares it to Sonata. It will rather be competitor to VW Passat, like it is currently in Europe. And when Ford Mondeo arrives it will also compete with Regal, though I expect it to be cheapened for America somehow.
    edited June 2010
    It is my opinion that the Regal indeed is worlds ahead of the Sonata. I am well aware that this is your opinion. BTW, you may go right ahead and twist anything I say to suit your purposes. Free pass. Meanwhile, your opinion that the Regal is worlds ahead of the Sonata is still an overstatement, in my opinion. Both are really good cars. The Regal may be the better of the two. And IMHO it should be, given its higher price.
    "The Regal may be the better of the two. And IMHO it should be, given its higher price. "

Yeah this is what I'm getting at, what is it that commands the higher price? Here's an interesting video with Bob Lutz on the Regal:

http://archive.roadandtrack.com/video/index.html?bcpid=717440069&bclid=741861823- &bctid=68463522001

You'll note he mentions the car is not a good financial deal for them being produced in Germany right now against the high Euro, but they want to price it competitively. He's comparing it to the TSX and A4. That to me sounds like the extra money is in interior quality, ride quality, nameplate.

With this car I keep going back to that 300 ft/lb of torque and AWD with variable suspension settings. I'm guessing it's an A4 fighter. So I've got to compare it to the A4, G37, 328xi, TSX/TL.
    edited June 2010
    And given the pricing structure and exchange rate with the Euro (even though now it is a bit better than it was), it needs to be marketed against the A4 and TSX. In Europe, it competes more with the VW Passat and Ford Mondeo--both of which need to sell here for more than a typical Malibu or Fusion does (and explains why Ford does not import the Mondeo...although maybe they should...oh, wait, Mercury is toast). As it is, the Regal must be sold at very nearly the same price as the Lacrosse models. This could work for Buick. We shall see.

At the same time, the mpg on the base engine is nothing to write home about (19/30); the 305 hp Mustang manages to get better mileage. Almost all intermediate sedans do better than that with their base engines. I also think that people will sometimes compare the car to the 2011 Sonata and the 2011 Optima, especially when equipped with their 274 hp turbo engine which still gets 22/34 mpg.

I prefer the Buick styling to the Hyundai, but that is a matter of personal taste. The 2011 Optima is also one tastefully styled sedan, one that looks like more money than it is. Still, exclusivity has its appeal. The higher-priced Buick will likely sell in lower volumes than the new Optima. Can't wait for some in-depth reviews of the Regal against some of its competition.
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    Do people compare Audi A4, Acura TSX and VW Passat with Sonata and Optima and if yes - how these cars hold against Sonata and Optima?
    As far as I am concerned, the 2011 Buick Regal is better than any car from the competition, whether it be Acura, VW, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Hyundai or whatever.

If you don't agree, so be it. Tough titty, as they say! Buy the inferior alternative and be quiet!
    Sonata and Optima compete in the midsize sedan segment. A4, TSX and Passat are in the upscale segment. So no they do not directly compete, however, the lines begin to merge when you're talking about a top of the line midsizer with a V6/Turbo fully loaded. A fully loaded Sonata or Optima turbo you can start to compare to a base level A4 or such. At least in my opinion.

It's all about what you can get for the same or similar money.
    Buy the inferior alternative and be quiet!

Ha! You are funny! :P

The Regal is a darn good car. Still, other cars in the same price range, such as the VW CC, are not usually seen as inferior. To each his or her own. And I would never tell you to be quiet though. Like it would work even if I did. ;)
  • illoxyillilloxyill Posts: 1
    GM offers many V6 engines. You're clearly looking at the wrong cars. GM is one of the most progressive car makers around. If you can't find a GM car to fit you need, then you probably just don't like GM vehicles.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,006
    edited July 2010
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Posts: 52
    Ummm, I wouldn't be so categorical.

I was trying to look for a GM car before while shopping for a new car (in 2008). I wanted a small, fun car, with manual transmission. The only choices from GM were cobalt (no thanks) as well as Saturn (conveniently discontinued) and Pontiac G5 (conveniently killed). So there was nothing from GM for me at that point, and by the way nothing as of today. (I ended up with a Mazda3).

That said, Buick Regal might turn out to be a good car for my next upgrade, once there is a version with a clutch.
    I'm starting to see these on the road now. Anyone care to give their take on it? Even a test drive?

It's still on my list, reviews are very positive that I've seen (for the most part). I'm waiting on the turbo to be available though since I'm also waiting on the Hyundai and Kia turbo sedans to be available to test.
  • pedal1pedal1 Posts: 2
    My wife bought a gray one last week with the RL4 package. The car has a very solid feel and appears to be well-assembled. Seats are European firm--the way we like them. Power is adequate in the naturally-aspirated version. Braking is somewhat average and there is some body lean during cornering, but it's not severe by any means. Steering feel is quite good, as is visibility. There's plenty of room, both front and back, if that's an important consideration. Cabin noise is well-muted both on the highway and around town. The 18" rims are stylish and the car is well-proportioned. The only missing option we would have preferred is Homelink. Overall a really good value in the segment. The turbo is set to debut in November, according to the dealer.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    edited July 2010
    Is it true the regal has no USB port, as well as no remote start? even the malibu LT2's have these. plus no smart key like the sonata limited or upper line camry? am finding it hard to find a sedan that has, in this order: smart key, usb port, remote start. sonata limited has the first two, malibu has the last two, camry has the first but not sure about the last two. maybe i'm wrong tho.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    The Buick website doesn't mention the USB port. It seems a strange omission, especially on the models with the Harman Kardon system.
  • kplacerkplacer Posts: 94
    The Canadian Buick website states that it has "USB iPod®MP3 and mass storage device input jack – located in console" as standard.

No mention of remote start, which surprises me.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,205
    Why is remote start an important feature?
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 574
    Why is remote start an important feature?

In northern climates Remote Start is great and I won't be without it. My garage is unheated and unattached. I can open the garage door from my living room and hit the remote start on those cold winter mornings - my car is warmed up in 2-3 minutes and I head out the door.

In the southern part of the country it might not be a big deal unless you want to run the A/C for a couple minutes before getting in! :blush:
    To each his or her own. Modern cars start and go with no warm-up needed. Heated seats are almost instantaneous. Idling a car several minutes each morning is not something I would do, even having remote start. And I have to laugh when I see people walk toward their cars and remotely start them from half a block away. That just looks like, "see what I can do!" But really, it is all personal preference. If the car met my needs otherwise, I could not see rejecting it for this. Especially since any number of aftermarket shops can install a reliable remote start system for you if you want.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2010
    "That said, Buick Regal might turn out to be a good car for my next upgrade, once there is a version with a clutch"

I agree.

On a dif note, but one that fits with this thread still in terms of perceived quality. When I think of quality in ride, fit, finish, performance, coddle-ability etc etc for me it has to include the test of time. Do we trust a Sonata's dependability now finally as much as an Accord or Camry's? Camry has actually gone downhill with their chipping paint, which has been an issue on 09 and newer Corollas also. So is Toyota slipping? So with that said, do we equate GM's quality on a similar level with the Asian offerings? I have been following a thread on the 2010 Chev Equinox, and unless it has been infested with troll activity, there are all too similar quality and teething issues as they had with the disasterous previous Nox. Can GM really isolate one models ailments separately from another's? Really? I have always wondered that very thing.

I've been car (and truck even) searching lately. I want versatility (so maybe being able to tow a trailer will do) and quiet, dependable and relatively economical on fuel. (so that tends to rule out cars with a substantial penalty at the pumps if you have to feed any of those higher-end luxury nameplates with high test gas, and even most lesser nameplated turbo equipped cars).

I want to like this Regal. In the late 90's the Regal was nothing more than a quiet, floaty, expensive Cavalier. Today, however, it is a whole new ball game. Sharing only the name. But i wonder if it shares the 4 cylinder engine that is in the Nox? GM is building engines all over the world and they sure are not all equal. TheNox is a nightmare with everything from irregular stalling issues with no ECM codes to help troubleshoot, to excessive oil burning, and loud valvetrain issues combined with huge fuel mileage drops after servicing and other unexplained issues.
    Even the auto tranny algorithms have been problematic. And too many of the car's functions are controlled by software programs hooked up to "GM's" computers. All manufacturers are doing this more and more to keep you married to the selling dealer/brand. If the cars and cost of service is reasonable for duty served, then it isn't that bad a thing. But if that criteria is NOT met, then it can be a financial and mentally frustrating nightmare.

gimmestdtranny....anyday
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Remote start in a world of ever increasing "no-idling" laws, and the green movement, is the epitome of hypocrisy. IMO.

Last week I watched a rich, but highly ignorant/arrogant convertible Corvette owner waiting outside Walmart, with the engine running, A/C on full blast, but with the top down in 100 degree sun and heat.

There is just so much wrong with that scenario I don't know where to start with my rant. ppfffftttttt!