Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    you can now build a Turbo on the website. That wasnt the case a few weeks ago. You might want to pose the question on their facebook site.
  • elvissselvisss Posts: 14
    i am in the market for a new car and i really like the regal i saw today, but i think the 12 models are right around the corner, maybe next month?

so do you guys think it is possible that the price will drop when 2012 models come out?

Should i wait a little bit (maybe only a month) to pull the trigger?

thanks in advance for your advice.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    As the purchasing power of the dollar is reduced the price will almost certainly rise as time goes by unless GM attempts to offset this by decontenting the car or using cheapened parts from Red China, which I hope it does not.
    hmm, i think you are talking long-term, and my questions is more about short term, 1 or 2 month... and my concern is where the price will go when newer models come out.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 418
    Maybe you're thinking of the turbo variant of the 2011 Regal? Or possibly the GS version? I dont think the 2012's would be coming out in 2010, no. At least not that I've seen. Turbo is due out soon I think. No idea if that would make other models drop in price.

They are due to switch production of the Regal from Europe to Oshawa Canada. I think that's supposed to make it cheaper for them to produce so that might make a difference in sales. Last I read that was due to happen Q1 of 2011.
    2012s will be out in spring 2011 after model switches to Canadian production. The 2012s are about 6 months away IMHO. You have quite a ways to go. remember, the 2011 turbos arent even on dealer lots yet.
    GM will save money on production but I doubt prices will change, the cost reduction will lead to profits for GM. In fact, the most expensive regal (GS) wont show up until after production switches to Canada.

Based on the limited Lacrosse incentives that have been offered I wouldnt expect much for the Regal anytime soon.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    I notice that the lowest-level CXL Turbo includes the Comfort and Convenience package that's optional on the CXL non-turbo--including the power passenger seat and the rear parking assist. So the premium for the turbo engine itself is only $1655. Considering the 50% increase in peak torque, the turbo seems like a no-brainer.
    I agree, turbo seems to be the way to go with this car. Most reviews mention the added horsepower and torque are welcome additions too.

This car is still on my top 3 test drive list. I read good things about it, hope the prices are reasonable.
    Turbo premium is very close to what Hyundai is charging and what a V6 costs on the Malibu or Fusion. It's about what I expected. The good thing is you can get the Turbo equipped exactly as you want, there is no need to be saddled with features you don't need.
    will turbo ones be made in German or US?

somehow i feel like a German-made Car has better value.
    The only equipment I'd want is the Comfort & Convenience package, which is standard on the Turbo and optional on the base CXL. I'd also be interested in a manual transmission, but it's not a deal-breaker. The Buick website says the manual will be "late availability"--and my guess is that they'll only build them fully loaded.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Actually, I would say the German-made car has lower value as the cost of production is higher and the quality of assembly is no better than Canada, maybe not as good.

I test drove a couple of 2010 VW Tiguans (made in Germany) not long ago and the wind noise was horrendous.

The wind noise in the Canadian-built RAV4 and the Equinox are non-existent.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Posts: 51
    I'm looking to replace a 2002 Altima and I wanted to give an American car a chance before I jumped on a Hyundai or Acura and I hate to admit I love the car. The car feels well built, the seats are very comfortable and I have lower back problems but the seat felt solid against my lower back and I liked that. The engine sounds good, the ride is quiet, just like a Camry, and the interior was nicely done. I was not able to push the car, too many cop cars around. The only problem I had was the center console with so many confusing buttons. I guess I will have to sit with a salesman and go over those buttons. even the person that accompanied me on the test drive was struggling to figure out what's what. Having said that, I still love the car. I drove a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and this car had a better feel and much quieter. The Sonata has a lot of road noise which is not my cup of tea. The Sonata was sleeker looking. I'm waiting on the Turbo to test drive then I will make my decision. The last GM car I drove was an 80 Chevy Camaro and a 96 Chrysler Concorde which was a very bad car, broke down every other month. I swore I'd never buy another American Car, However, I believe I will take a chance on the Regal. Hope I'm not disappointed. I never understood how the American car manufacturers Never got the NHV(Noise, Harshness, Vibration) message that people want quiet cars. They finally delivered with the Regal. It does not sound like a tractor.
    Turbo will be made in Germany for 2011 MY. No Regals will be made in the US, only Canada starting next year.
    No offense, but cars built in 1980 or in 1996 arent a good measure of modern American cars. Your last GM car was 30 years ago and its safe to say today's GM models have nothing in common with your old car. I would say American cars largely achieved parity in quietness by the late 90s- well as least GM. Chrysler was a little bit late to the refinemnt game. Today's American cars likely have less road noise on average than modern Hondas.

The Regal isnt really an "American car" anyway, its a European car being sold under the Buick name in the US. The regal is no more refined or quiet than the Malibu or CTS or Camaro or even Cruze. I had an Aura before this and it was actually quieter on the highway thanks to laminated side glass- which the Regal and the vaunted imports still lack. In the Saturn 80mph sounded like 60. I had a rental Altima for several days last year and the road and wind noise was much worse than my Saturn. If there is one thing GM takes seriously, its noise suppression- its one reason why their vehicles are heavier than their Japanese counterparts.

Center stack buttons are very easy to use and with steering wheel controls you dont need to touch most of them. It takes all of 15min to understand them.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Posts: 51
    I agree with everything U said but I still believe the center stack is daunting when U get in the car for the first time. The test drive person and I couldn't find the fan blower for the A/C. I will figure the buttons when I buy the car. I looked at the 2011 Sonata and it's center stack is pretty simple and straight forward but I still prefer the Regal.
  • I agree. A love the exterior of the new Regal. It's a sharp car and "right-sized" for today's market but the center stack is a low point for me. Maybe it's because it's all black, but it looks "busy" and unappealing to my eyes.
    It sounds like you are turned off by the # of buttons as opposed to the ergonomics. It has slightly more buttons than the average GM car (although not in comparison to CTS or Lacrosse) but its easy to use. ON a daily basis you are adjusting audio functions and HVAC functions- both are easy to master. The main reason it has more buttons is because the it has menu control buttons (config, back) on the center stack to control settings for the audio system and personalization features. GM cars with the blacktie radio had multiuse buttons under the display that changed function depending on what was in the radio display at the time. The Regal and other models with the new LCD readout has dedicated buttons and that lead to a higher button count.
    I test drove a regal rl1 yesterday and really feel the engine is underpowered, especially when going up hill, even in local street i could feel the car changing gear, sigh
    This dealer offered 24000 OTD for a base model if i buy tomorrow, the price is good.

but i am really concerned about the engine performance, should i bite it?
    He his cutting $3k from the sticker price? That sounds very aggressive. I was able to get less than $1000 of MSRP on my car in late July.

The car isnt slow compared to any other four cylinder sedan or crossover on the road. C&D got 0-60 in 8.7 secs which is faster than an Accord EX automatic. The only four cylinder car in this price range that is notably faster is the CC because it has a turbo 2L with considerably more torque. Even the much celebated Sonata is capable of only 7.8-8 secs to 60- hardly a major advantage that would noticed by the average driver. The Regal is slow compared to a V6 powered car, not compared to other midsize sedans with comparable power.

The crossover segment is booming and almost every I4 powered crossover on the market is slower than the Regal and yet people manage to drive them every day without an issue. Everything from the Mazda6 to the Accord to the CR-V is no faster than the Regal.
    edited October 2010
    yes, the dealer is willing to give me a blue color one for that price.

the only thing holding me now is should i wait for the turbo version which is going to coming out in Dec. I really hope the turbo one will give performance a much boost.
    It's a great price on a car that you admit you're not thrilled with. Buy the car you really want, if you can wait for the turbo.
    I would wait for the turbo. All the reviews I have read say the turbo is much more refined and enjoyable to drive.
  • If price is a major factor, go for the CXL at $24K. That's a good deal. The turbo will cost you $30K minimum. Not worth that much extra $$ to me.
    well MT is the only magazine that has posted any performanc results for the turbo- 7.5 secs which is an improvement, but not a huge one. The turbo needs premium fuel as well and gets slightly worse fuel economy. The extra passing power would be nice but I dont do a lot of highway driving so the 2.4 works fine. Its much slower than my old car but the reality is its as fast as at least 40% of the cars on the road today- let's not forget most Accords and Camrys are four cylinders.
    Yeah, I would think supplies of the turbo are going to be tight for months so a deal would seem unlikely. They are supposed to hit dealers in November but it could be months before an adequate supply is built up.
    The turbo is faster but I would leave it at that. Both engines are refined and handling is impressive on the base car. You can get better handling (or at least more control) if you get the turbo with the IDC package and 19" wheels.
    edited October 2010
    Horsepower for the CXL turbo is comparable to the '06-09 Fusion 3.0 V6, so considering the Buick's greater curb weight I would expect 0-60 in the mid to high 7s. The big advantage of the turbo Buick is in torque, which would show up more in 30-50 mph passing times, and in "real-world driving."

The GS, at a probable 260 hp, is another ball game entirely.