Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• Good news first. I went to my local dealership, Tuttle Click Buick / GMC and was told that they ordered the first batch of Turbos 2 weeks ago. They ordered 6 and they will arrive in their lot in 4 weeks. I left my information with them and they'll call me for a test drive when they get it in. If that works out, I'll post my test drive impressions here. Cheers!!

I know there wouldn't be much discounts which say I emphasized that pricing might be an issue at this point in time. Let's move away from the pricing right now since we really don't know how much a loaded Turbo would really sell for. The dealership I went to didn't how much is going to cost them either so they couldn't give me any kind of numbers.

The TSX V6 has push start. Tech Packaged TLs have push start too. The TL with 18" I got quoted includes the tech package and it does come with power lumbar via 10 way driver's power seats. The Acuras come with more features that "I want" so you can say I'm biased when it comes to features.
  • I didnt know the TSX had push button start on the V6. But the V6 starts at $35k without nav so I'm not sure if that features is enough to make a $35k TSX better than a $35k Regal turbo. complete pricing for the turbo has been released so they should have a rough idea of what the turbo will cost. Seems like they were holding back for some reason. You know loaded MSRP is $35k so I would think you can beat that by at least $1000.

I was underestimating the incentives on the TL, I guess they are really making an effort to move product. I believe the styling is a major factor there. Other than push button start and memory I'm not aware of any significant features on the Acuras in spite of their premium prices. I know for a fact the Lacrosse CXS(which matches up better with TL in size and price) offers more equipment than the TL. If I was in the market to spend $35k I might actually get the Lacrosse CXS over the Regal turbo. The main reason I got the regal is because for $30k its better equipped than the Lacrosse and I would want the 3.6L V6 if I got the Lacrosse which means spending at least $34k.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Posts: 76
    edited September 2010
    ...always pays more. When the lot is full of them they'll deal. This car was sold in the US last year as a Saturn Aura, so there is room to drop price if they need to.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Not the same vehicle. The Aura was the previous generation.
  • this car was supposed to be the next Saturn Aura, its new to the US market. Its the second car on the Epsilon 2 platform in the US after the Lacrosse. Malibu will be the third.
  • All this about Epsilon has intrigued me to I looked at wikipedia.
    Some good info, but still confused, especially why they would modify it and still call it Epsilon.
    First was Epsilon, then extended Epsilon. Supposedly the extended was used under some 08 Malibu which had two wheelbase longer one under the wagon which matches WB for current. It would take more digging to find out for sure which Epsilon.
    And more confusing is that it says the Regal is on an Epsilon 2. So what exactly is it?
    It hints that the Malibu might move to an Epsilon 2 and in the works is a super Epsilon for large vehicles. The Lucerne going away to become a new Park Ave eventually and it and the Impala will have the Super E. But that is so far down the road they hint the Impala will be on an intermediary platform, Maybe the Epsilon 2.

Confused!
  • Overbrook, what do you think about the steering weight on your Regal? When I test drove the Regal I was more focus on the quietness and engine power. I completely forgot how the steering felt. I went to test drive the VW CC again and the steering was just too light, Toyota Camry light. If the ICDS can really add some weight to the steering the Regal is going to move up on my list. Thanks.
  • The first US car on epsilon I was the 2004 Malibu. It had the short wheelbase and the Maxx had the long wheelbase. The Aura, G6 and 2008 Malibu were all EP1 cars on the long wheelbase. In Europe, the Vectra was always on the short wheelbase. The Insignia was the first car on EP2 and this time the Malibu will share the short wheelbase with its European counterpart. The Lacrosse is on the long wheelbase version of EP2 and most presume the Impala will share this wheelbase when it shows up in 2012.

The Regal is the Insignia which means its on EP2 platform. If any Buick larger than the Lacrosse shows up it will be a RWD car, not an epsilon car.
  • The regal's steering is definitely heavier than any Camry or comparable Japanese car. I drove a CC briefly but I didnt pay close attention to the steering. The regal's steering requires at least as much effort as the CC, maybe more. I don't believe the ICDS regulates steering, its a damping control system that allows you to firm up the ride.

Compared to the CC the regal's advantages are better equipment in the base model, 5 seat capacity, 18" wheels standard, larger trunk and onstar. My friends have a CC luxury and its a very sharp car BUT for nearly $28k you dont get features such as XM, auto climate control, 18" wheels, USB connection, etc. All of that is standard on the Regal for $27k.
  • Is Epsilon a new division of GM that is responsible for body design? Much like you used to see a placard on many GM cars that said, "Body by Fisher".

The article did not say if the Super Epsilon was for RWD, FWD, or AWD.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,744
    No, Epsilon is GMs way of using Greek letters to signify platforms. They used to have A-bodies, B-bodies, C-bodies, G-bodies, etc. For a while they went to numerical designations. Now they are using the Greek alphabet -- Epsilon, Sigma, Lambda, etc.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• whenever a platform is used all cars on that platform are going to be FWD/AWD or RWD/AWD. The larger epsilon is definitely a FWD platform.

GM actually stopped using the Greek names officially but everyone in the industry still uses them because its easier than saying "Global midsize car architecture" or whatever they say officially.

Thus far no versio of epsilon with a wheelbase longer than that of the Lacrosse has been confirmed. The Cadillac XTS concept had the same wheelbase as the Lacrosse.
  • ttbttb Posts: 40
    Are the new Regal and the new Sonata comparable?
    They both have a base 4 and a turbo 4.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    That question should start a real argument! The answer is yes and no. The Regal is looking to compete with the Acura TSX, the Audi 4, and the like. As such, it is a step above the Sonata class. However, it depends upon what you want. The Sonata offers more or less everything these others offer, but at a lower price point. You won't get the cache of an Audi or Acura with a Hyundai, but you can get heated/cooled seats, keyless go, and lots of other features that used to only be available on better cars. Drive them both and see what you think.
  • overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    In terms of specs they are comparable but the Regal definitely feels like a more expensive car inside. The Sonata actually has featues you cant get on Regal like push button start but the ambiance inside is more Camry than Regal or CC. It also comes down to exclusivity, the new Sonata is quickly becoming ubiquitous while the Regal is far more exclusive. People who are shopping for the most car for their dollar arent going to get the Regal over the Hyundai. I for one am not a huge fan of the Sonata's styling and I don't like that the SE model with the 18" rims and sports suspension cannot be combined with many of the features of the limited model. Its ridiculous that you cant get dual zone climate control on the SE model.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I am not sure people looking at an A4, Acura TSX are going to go look at a GM Regal. lol. Nor, Sonata to a an A4 or TSX.

But, with all that said, you do get a lot with the Regal, a lot of features, but does it really drive like German? :)
  • overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    In europe the car competes with Passat, A4, etc. Its more German than any TSX will ever be. I'm sorry but I don't really consider Acura to be more prestigious than Buick. I know many disagree but Acuras are basically Hondas with more features, nothing more. The TSX is an entry level car for an affordable luxury marque- its not a Mercedes or Jaguar.

If you want a well damped ride, miminal body lean and nice steering weight than the regal is definitely German in nature.

Last month 1776 Regals were sold vs about 2300 TSXs. Considering the TSX has been around since 2004 I would say thats a pretty good showing - especially since the turbo isnt even on sale yet.
    edited October 2010
    But now the very pretty Kia Optima, with more equipment than all the CCs, etc. is soon coming on line. Things will be shook up. Which is good. It will make the better cars even better. Competition is good. Pushing from down below is good. It is all good.
    Umm...the TSX itself has been around longer than 2004. The new iteration has only been around two model years now.

But actually, it is the newest thing that usually sells the best (for a time limited period--until it is renewed again...or screwed up). The Regal would probably be outselling the TSX if it were more available than it is. If dealers had more, they could afford to deal a bit. As it stands now, they go for close to list, no lower.
  • TSX and regal compete directly in Europe with each other and with Passat and Mondeo.TSX is European Honda Accord, it is not considered as a luxury car in Europe (as well as Regal). I do not think they really compete with Audi A4. In 90s A4 was competing in this class but since then VW successfully changed image for Audi. Some time ago I saw comparo test between all European "midsize" cars on German TV. Passat, A4 and Mondeo took first three places and Opel Vectra (Aura) and Accord (TSX) were last in the test with French in middle.