Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Ford Crown
Vic/Merc Grand Marquis
topic. Those of you joining
us from that topic are welcome to continue your
discussion. If you're new to this topic, you may
want to follow the above link for additional
archived posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• mikem23mikem23 Posts: 2
    As some of you may recall in Intrique II, I bought a new '99 GLS in Artic White. I have been considering buying a bra for it (if Olds makes one) What do you think? Does anyone have one, and if so how does it look. Also, what is the price for one. Also, am I the only one that doesn't like the very small "Oldsmobile" font on the trunk? The '2000 font is much larger and nicer. I am going to order it for mine.
  • mikem23mikem23 Posts: 2
    As some of you may recall in Intrique II, I bought a new '99 GLS in Artic White. I have been considering buying a bra for it (if Olds makes one) What do you think? Does anyone have one, and if so how does it look. Also, what is the price for one. Also, am I the only one that doesn't like the very small "Oldsmobile" font on the trunk? The '2000 font is much larger and nicer. I am going to order it for mine.
  • johnbonojohnbono Posts: 80
    I checked all the Grand Marquis' in the parking lot today...couldn't find a single oldsmobile badge anywhere.
  • tbear503tbear503 Posts: 70
    The first CV that I remember was a 1954 tudor (Ford's spelling) with a chrome band (hence the word "Crown") over the roof at the "B" pillar with the front half of the roof being a fixed-in-place sunroof!

The Marquis name is from the mid-late 60's, with "Grand" moniker, as I remember, appearing about in the mid 70's or later in response to the "Grand" Bonneville from Pontiac.

Dad owned both a 54 Ford Crestline & a 72 Marquis Brougham....Prior to the Marquis the top Merc was the Park Lane.
  • cmdrkencmdrken Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 1997 CV Interceptor. It has 103000 miles on it and has had all the work done to it. it is a Texas county car and seems like it is mint. I'm going to pay about 6000 for it. Does this sound reasonable? Also does anyone know the hp and torque numbers for the interceptor 4.6L? Anyone who has any info to post I would greatly appreciate it.
  • I might be wrong on this, but I think I remember hearing that both the CV and GM would receive makeovers beginning with the 2002 models (which would be available late in 2001). That's about the time that I'll be buying mine (CV), so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I'd be willing to bet that some of the regulars in this forum could shed some more light on this rumor.
  • jws5jws5 Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY MAJOR CHANGES PLANEED IN THE DESIGN OF THE CROWN VIC/GRAND MARQUIS FOR 2001
  • cobra27cobra27 Posts: 1
    Have a 88 302 that began leaking oil from intake manifold area--found out a small filter under the PVC valve was plugged up.Changed it & all o-k..Anyone step into this one too ???
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    I am going to purchase soon, either a Buick LeSabre or Grand Marquis. I guess everybody here would recommend the Grand Marquis. Please give me reasons why I should purchase the Grand Marquis?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    both cars are nice and well built.

the interior quality in the Grand Marquis is a little better. And even if some say the 3800 is a good motor, I know from owning one in my Tbird that the 4.6 v8 Ford is bulletproof. Now I know why law enforcement professionals rave about the CV.

Otherwise it just boils your preference of v6/fwd vs. v8/rwd.

Either way, they are solid cars for decent price.
  • One other thing... If you life in an area with a temperate climate or in a snow area, ordering drivetrain traction control for the Grand Marquis is a must since it's RWD. Trust me... I've driven my '95 Fleetwood in weather my own father wouldn't even drive in, and the traction control works wonders by keeping the car stable during bad road conditions. (Unless, of course, I go in snow above my bumper... Then I'm as stuck as anybody else. Also, don't make the mistake of thinking the traction control is a license to do something stupid like drive faster than you normally would in poor driving conditions.)

If you are planning on doing a little spirited driving in the Grand Marquis should you purchase one, you might also want to consider the ride and handling package. It won't turn it into a Ferrari, but it does firm the ride up a bit (especially around corners) without sacrificing smoothness.

IMHO, even though the Grand Marquis is a better value, I like the styling of the '00 Crown Victoria better...
  • Don't worry about the old man complex. I'm 37 and will be buying a CV or MGM next year. There are some other people who post here who are the same age as both of us, too. The thing I like about the CV/MGM is the price, ride comfort, and safety rating. Buying a CV/MGM doesn't mean you're an old man. It just means you recognize value in a car when you see it. Enjoy your new Grand Marquis.
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    it has the touring package, ABS, Air suspension, leather interior. Or buy the Buick and get a free lifetime subscription to AARP's MODERN MATURITY.
  • Don't worry about the "old man complex." I'm only 20, and I drive a behemoth geezermobile '95 Fleetwood. ;-)

Seriously, though... You shouldn't worry about what others think. As Steve said, you're recognizing exceptional value when you see it. If you're like me, you're also looking for practicality... And the Grand Marquis certainly has it due to its ample interior room and cargo space.

Oh, and pay no attention to kinley... He thinks that Lincoln Town Cars should perform like Ferraris... (No offense, kinley. *Smirks*)

He does make a couple valid points, though. I'd insist upon ABS, traction control, and the ride and handling package for the benefit of the rear air suspension. Those improvements will make the GM all the more enjoyable.

One last thing... The Buick rode harder because it's FWD, as opposed to the RWD drivetrain of the Mercury. Let's face it... RWD cars will always ride better than their FWD counterparts. :-)
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    How much will the touring package take away from the GM's soft ride. I do not want to add harshness to the ride.
  • It shouldn't detract too much from the Grand Marquis ride. In fact, the difference should be barely perceptible. The official Mercury website says the package contains the following:

3.55:1 rear axle ratio (aids in transmission downshifting)

Larger diameter rear stabilizer bar (aids in vehicle stability during agressive cornering or emergency maneuvers)

Goodyear BSW “handling” tires (nothing really special, here, and good if you choose to do without whitewall tires)

Uniquely tuned rear air suspension (must make the ride a little firmer, but still be able to soak up bumps with no fuss)

16” lacy-spoke aluminum wheels

Dual exhaust (ups engine output to 215 h.p. which wouldn't hurt)

So in other words, this package will make the Grand Marquis more stable in quick maneuvers, but the ride should not be harsh. In fact, it should still be as soft as you experienced it when you test drove that other GM. If in doubt, just ask the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln dealer to test drive one with the ride and handling package, and see for yourself if you would rather do without it.

At the very least, though, order it with the rear air suspension... It not only keeps the tail from dragging, but accounts for the smooth ride without the car pitching and rolling all over the place.

I wish they married Ford's superb rear air suspension to my Cadillac. You'd then have the ultimate luxo barge. :-)
  • I'm a volunteer voc-ed teacher at an inner-city children's home. Because the home is in a very dangerous neighborhood, I'd like to get a car that looks a lot like a cop car. (Pics of our shop work are at:
    http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/j/jjyuill/www/Personal/agape.htm)

Any advice on purchasing such a CV would be most appreciated. Additional info:

1. The state auction for cop-cars is nearby. They have '96 CV's with 95k miles. Those with 75k miles have a minimum bid of $8,200. Would it be better to get a non-police CV that looks like a police CV? I can spend $7k to $11k.

2. How many miles can you get out of a CV, before it's more economical to replace it? Once over 100k miles, are the maintenance costs high?

3. We need to haul kids between the home and our shop. How many kids fit in a CV?

4. We need to haul plywood using a small trailer. Is the CV ok with trailers?

Again, any advice most appreciated!

Jim
    jimyuill@pobox.com
  • gchernya1gchernya1 Posts: 43
    You sure will be better off with privetly owned car, just make sure, miles on odometer correct and car don't have any maigor hidden problems.
  • seanyseany Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a safe car. I checked out the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis and both get 5 stars frontal and 4 stars side impact.

I want a car with side air bags. The government doesn't check for head injuries in their tests, so the 4 star side impact results apply only to pelvic and thoracic injuries. The test dummies head could fly off, and the Crown Vic would still get 4 stars for side impact.

I thought I had the answer when I looked at the Lincoln Town Car. It is supposedly built on the same chassis as the Crown Vic. The government gives the Town Car 4 stars frontal and 4 stars side impact. How can that be?

I would think the Town Car would get the same 5 star rating for the frontal test, and at least improve on the side impact test due to the side air bags.
  • btroybtroy Posts: 92
    Sean, I noticed that, too. These cars and the Towncar all share the same "platform", but I guess that doesn't mean the Towncar has the same frame or crush dynamics. It primarily means they have the same engine and transmission and probably a hundred other components. Or maybe it's just the difference in weight that changes the equation.

If you want a car with side head air bags, excellent crash test results and for it also to be affordable-- good luck. I've looked, too and I can't come up with a good choice without jumping up another $10k+ in price over the CV. Personally, I'm hoping that the next Crown Vic redesign will bring all that together. Meanwhile, the only thing that even comes close is a Ford Taurus. Or you could wear a helmet :)

On the other hand, for the price of a Towncar, maybe you are in price range of a Volvo. You might want to check out the S70 or S80.