Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    stretched? They need to widen them, not stretch them. The back seat and trunk of the Five Hundred/Montego is far longer lengthwise than the Panther cars...
  • Sales were down November to November, but GM sales are down 3.8% for the year. Hard to say why November sales changed so much - maybe fleet purchases in 2003 or something.

2004 YTD, the Grand Marquis still makes up 25% of the sales for the Lincoln-Mercury division, with little advertising.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    ...and probably at least 25 percent of Mercury profits. These vehicles were amortized years ago and are both very profitable for Ford Motor Company and a very good buy for the consumer who intends to own the vehicle for a very long time.

Depreciation is terrible, but repair costs are low. V8, body on frame, reasonably priced. There simply is NO competition.

I own a Five Hundred myself, and for lots of reasons. But there is MUCH to like about the Panther cars! Don't forget to add in the Town Car, which is mechanically very similar...
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I think this time next year there will be a refreshened Crown Vic and GM for 2006. They will most likely be getting the 3V 4.6 and the new 6-speed auto transmission. There have also been a few rumors about a larger engine. However, with higher horsepower ratings form the 3V motor, and with the 6-speed auto transmission, I don't think power will be coming up short.

The CV is not going anywhere for a while. If Ford decides to stop selling it to the general public (highly unlikely) then it will become a fleet only vehicle.
  • What would even be better than the 3V 4.6 would be the 3V 5.4 from the F150. Ford, with an eye toward fuel economy, could de-tune the engine to about 280hp, but maintain the +350 lb-ft of torque. The added twist would make everyone happy - especially the police.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    The reliable insiders at the other message boards I read say that plans for restyling the CV/GM have been cancelled. I wish that Ford would have utilized the DEW98 platform much more. I would think that costs would drop if the platform had been more fully leveraged.
  • The Detroit News reported very recently that FoMoCo does not like the fact that a very high percentage of its CV/GM buyers are 60+ years-old. And that it has made the decision NOT to increase fleet sales (which are being held at 15% now), but no explanation for that was given.

I haven't seen figures on how often various age groups replace a car, but it would seem to make sense that older drivers put on fewer miles per year and would keep them longer. FoMoCo probably wants to appeal to a younger age bracket that drives more and replaces more often. Why, then, you ask, don't ads for these models target a younger crowd? I dunno! My profession is psychology, not marketing!

A buddy, retired from FoMoCo, tells me that profit is still there for these models, because costs have been depreciated out and only cosmetic changes are being made.

The same Detroit News issue (I believe) carried a story that FoMoCo is thinking seriously of stopping sales of these models to law enforcement agencies. Those rear end collision fires and suits by some states have spooked company lawyers.

A large mix is at work here, not just one factor. I've got another 50,000 - 75,000 to put on mine before looking for a new one. If the CV/GM die, the Kia Amanti looks mighty tempting.

Maybe with the fattening US population trend, CV/GM models will again become necessary? ;]
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Fords' large cars continue to be a great value but car manufacturers, and FOMOCO is no exception,
    are forced to build what sells. Despite the sharp rise in gasoline prices people are still buying large SUV's.

At least two issues become evident here: The perception of fashion and superiority in being seen driving a trendy gas guzzling SUV and the issue of safety (partly true due to their sheer size). A fashion statement and a somewhat skewed sense of safety vis a vis high insurance bills and gas consumption.

Instead, CV/GM offer safety, comfort, power in one package at a reasonable price. In general, people go for instant gratification instead of sensible choices. Being seen driving an SUV, and a high end European sedan provides certain gratification to the ego that Ford's large sedans do not. To some, their cars are extensions of the self.

My two cents.
  • People aged 60+ have more wealth than any other age group, and the Ford Panther platform buyers are some of the most loyal in the market - many trade every 2-4 years, regardless of miles.

My opinion is Ford is run by those who do not understand the customer for this car. They seem to think that the demand for this car is dying off, not that people's tastes change as they age. I guess Nasser promoted self-concious yuppie-types into management that they are too blind to see they could continue their monopoly on this segment of the market by only spending some money to update the vehicle.

They also act like they are embarrassed by the car, as they are doing their best to kill it off. They have preferred to decontent it, and decided to put off needed updates (why does it still have a 4 speed auto, even the Explorer has a 5 speed auto) to it's interior. Also, a 2005 Grand Marquis looks very much alike a 1992 Grand Marquis.

If the car dies, it is not because the buyers have abandoned it, rather Ford has abandoned the customers that buy it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Hmmmmm, not sure the "costs" would drop on the DEW98 if volume went up enough to make them profitable ehaase. It's such a complex platform, which is why it's so darn good, you just have to get at least $45,000 minimum for the car to break even, which takes it out of Ford's and even Lincoln's price point at that size. Sell more, lose more money.....

They are using DEWlite for Mustang, if it makes you feel better though, and maybe that one, which is darn good, if not damn good may find its way into some other good RWD Fords soon at a cost that we can afford to pay.......
    Your point here is excellent, and it's the same paradigm ( a $10 word I like to dig up once in a while ) that Cadillac and Lincoln use to say they must reinvent themselves because their average customer is 62 years of age! Oh dear! They;re all dying off!

Well, yes, they will die. Someday. Meanwhile, they have money to spend, they like big Cadillacs and Lincolns, and they are YOUR customers, ya might wanna keep making a nice car for them, and update it for the ENDLESS supply of 62 year olds! There is a new crop of them EVERY YEAR. HELLO!!!!! It's like they're dying, and there will never be anymore of them!
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    what I said about driving in the snow with my Vic. My last snow experience was with the Goodyear RS-A's (?) that the Sheriff's Dept had on it. They still had a 1/4" of tread but they might as well have been bald. Today with my 2 month old Firestone Affinity LH30's I went through the 2"-3" slush/snow like nothin'. Even as well as my Focus did, which I was very impressed by. (Although it has Goodyear RS-A's [?].)
  • My retired Ford buddy tells me there are big battles in the design departments, with younger designers agitating for changes (they call it an 'update') in the CV/GM line. He says, also, that new/younger managerial level employees don't know what has been tried in the past (and didn't work), so FoMOCo is (in)famous for trying to reinvent wheels. (As he describes it, these new people are very knowledgeable, but their knowledge is a "mile wide and an inch deep.")

The Detroit News recently ran a piece saying to watch the upcoming auto shows for a new Lincoln design that is heavily influenced by a "European flavor." FoMoCo seems enamored by its Volvo designers' ideas. These 'news' pieces often are wrong, so we'll see.

Whatever happens to Lincoln will eventually rub off on the CV/GM line.
    Whatever happens to Lincoln......indeed......
    I'm certainly wondering what that may be!!
  • heart2heart2 Posts: 38
    Anyone have ideas what is causing problems with driver's window which goes up and down slowly(much more slowly than ever before). This is a '98 GM. I know the door will need to be disassembled...??difficult?
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    my '98 Vic just started doing that. I think mine is caused by the cold and would probably benefit from some sort of lube in the tracks...
  • iusecad,You are right on with the lube idea, I use a good quality Silicone Spray Lubricant twice per year in each window channel.It streaks the glass for a little while but it's no big deal. Never have a problem with my Chevy's power windows.Stuff is also good to use on all the rubber bits as it keeps them from sticking in cold temperatures.

Hope this helps, BD EYES
  • Crown Vics and Grand Marquis have had slower than normal power windows since the 92 redesign - my 94 is the same way. The simple answer is the motor just runs slower than what most other vehicles do.

If it is slower than before, than I would suggest lubing the tracks, but don't expect a miracle.
  • Does any one out there know any thing about the 2000 Grand Marquis LS? This one has 111,000 miles on it. The price is $6,559,looks new and is emmaculant inside and out. The dealer said it did not have traction control on it, but over the glove box it reads PrecisionTrac. Does any one know what this means? I am use to luxery cars and this one rode quite well. I was pleased with my test drive. I drove it in town and on the highway. Thanks for any input.
    If its just been casually maintainned, Panda, it should be good for another 40,000 miles easy. If it's been as well cared for as it looks, she may go for 500,000. Some of the limos do. These are an old design, but tough as neutronium which is why police love to mount curbs with them-they are almost indestructable. They get good mileage, ride great and are roomy. Should be good price too.