Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    Check your oil for quantity and viscosity. Colder temperatures require a thinner oil for startup periods.

Invest in an engine block heater and plug it in overnight.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    CR reports the best rating for this year in reliability. Also, I wouldn't buy a GM if it weren't an ultimate edition. I bought mine w/o even knowing that it was an ultimate edition, until I started looking at the other GM's which were like garbage to me. I definately wouldn't buy this car w/o heated seats, steering wheel controls, wood grain everywhere, leather, digital readout, trip computer, auto-dimming mirror, heated side mirrors, handling package, aluminum wheels, which are all included in the Ultimate edition, essentially top line. The new 06-current has fake looking wood grain, where the model before looked more real, they're starting to get cheap on us, did I say starting I meant getting cheaper.
  • turbo301turbo301 Posts: 73
    I also think that the 2004 model year for CVs and GMs is the best: it is the second year of the revised frame/suspension setup, so the bugs will have been mostly worked out, and plus the 2005 and up do have some cheap touches, the hideous rubberized area around the ignition and the shifter being principal among them.

The wood on the 2006+ GMs is awful, you're right! The lack of a voltmeter is also gross, especially if you live with harsh Canadian winters that really tax your electrical system. I've relied on that gauge to adjust my load a number of times! And for those of us who still have tapes (laugh if you will), the replacement of the tape deck with a useless trip computer is hardly welcome.

As for needing things like heated seats, leather and woodgrain, well, you can keep those features. Guess what, without leather you don't NEED heated seats ;) ! I actually thought you were being sarcastic when you listed the numerous features that one can easily live without LOL!

The thing that really kills me is the fact that a new GM costs almost $46k Canadian! You can get top-notch, hi-powered iron for that kind of money. I love Panthers, but at that price there is simply no market for them.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    don't count on FoMoCo to give us this replacement, V-8 RWD full-size sedan. Go check out the new 2009 Chevrolet Impala that is going to become RWD with the option of 4 engines form V-6 to V-8 big block. They have pictures of it out already, the concept that is. If your looking to replace you CV or GM within the next few years I recommend to check it out.
  • browneybrowney Posts: 104
    After many years of desiring a new american made land yacht, I am now the proud owner of GM. :)
    The predecessor to this vehicle was a 2001 Hyundai Elantra that I bought new and drove for the last 6 years. (the whole time longing for the 63 Impala or 60 Belvadere of my youth.) ;)

So after being enticed by the $7k rebate, I took the plunge and bought what my co-workers are calling a boat. :D

I've only had it for a week and so far I am glad I bought it.
    I considered buying a Chrysler 300 or an Impala but both were more expensive and the seats weren't as comfortable to me.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    Will the 2009 Impala be near in size to the CV/GM???...the current model seems about the size of a Taurus...V8 engines may be nice, but I would like something with a little room, and the Taurus (Impala) does not have much room..........
    You should have received more than 7k rebate for purchasing a new 1998 GM with few little improvements in the last 10 years. :mad:
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Posts: 105
    I would go for a "500".Considering the size of the Grand Marquis,the back seat is inhabitable for an adult.There is no rear leg room.Front leg room is fair,it has a big trunk,that is all.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Posts: 572
    Grand Marquis is twice the vehicle of a Five Hundred/Montego. On paper the Five Hundred sounds better, but it has no pedigree, no track record, and is a lightweight design compared to the Grand Marquis.

Trust me, after 10 years the Five Hundred will be recycled into soup cans, while the Grand Marquis will still be chugging along.

A Grand Marquis is the perfect car to buy and keep as a backup car once it hits 8-10 years old.
    I would have liked to get more than a 7k rebate but I am no longer in the mood to haggle. (I'm getting old and tired) ;)
    I drove it off the lot for $19,780 and I figure that I still paid $500 more than I could have haggled down to.
    My best friend said that only people with gray hair drive these cars. Luckily I have some gray in my sideburns so I can qualify. :P
    (I have have to cut him some slack since he hasn't even reached the big 50 yet. Kids these days!) :D
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Posts: 105
    I have no doubt the Gran Marquis is a very durable vehicle.Probably surpassing the 500.My problem with the GM is it is not a very comfortable car taking into consideration its large size.There are better choices.
    What other choices are you referring to?
    Do any of them cost less than $20k? :confuse:

I bought the GM because it was the most comfortable of those I looked at.

I've had a couple of spine surgeries and now I can't tolerate stiff cushioned seats. I need something like my Lazy-boy recliner in my living room. :D
  • turbo301turbo301 Posts: 73
    browney, no worries: tell your friend that I bought my nearly-new Crown Vic when I was 24 (I'm 27 now). I've always loved Panthers, so even though I could have had just about any car, my choice was never in doubt :).

When I was car shopping, I drove two Five Hundreds, a FWD and a 4WD model, and I was not impressed: the trunk is big and the rear seat room is huge, but a.) it feels like a truck, b.) it had no power, and c.) the pedals gave my foot cramps within 5 minutes of driving. There's just no room up front with that monster console, and the non-adjustable pedals were too close to the driver.
  • cyberwizcyberwiz Posts: 7
    I've been unable to find anything similar to what I'm experiencing in some quick searches through the group. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who's experienced anything like this so here goes. I'm driving a 2000 GM with 108,000kms on it.

I came out of my office for lunch the other day to find my battery completely dead. I got a bit of clicking from the starter and that's all. After a jumpstart the car started and ran just fine. At the end of the day, 4-5 hours later, the battery is dead again. A boost was all that was required to get it going. I figured the 45 minute drive home should resolve my issues but I stopped in at the parts store to have a look at replacing my battery. The guy in the store didn't seem too knowledgeable but he wheeled out a Bear electrical tester and told me that my battery and alternator were both fine and printed out a report of his findings for me. The next morning the battery was dead again.

I dismissed his findings and bought a new battery that day on my lunch break. The guy at the place I bought the battery from used a different tester and told me that I was only getting 500 Cold Cranking Amps from my 750CCA battery so I figured I had resolved it and when I left the office I had no problems at all. This morning my battery was dead again. When I got to work, I lifted off the battery and measured the current draw on the battery at around 8 Amps with the car shut off. I left the battery disconnected until I could take a look at it on my lunch break but when I came back and reconnected the battery the 8A draw was no longer present. I ran the car with A/C for about 20 minutes and when I shut off the car and disconnected the battery again, the 8A draw was back.

With the 8A draw back, I proceeded to remove each fuse on the car one at a time to see if I could diagnose where the problem was. The 8A draw stayed in place throughout the whole process.

My presumption now is that I'm facing a problem with either an alternator or a starter. I thought it would make sense to pose the question here and see if anyone else has any ideas. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone might be able to offer.
  • joe110joe110 Posts: 19
    I owned a 1985 Grand Marquis. Bought it in 94. Best A/C I ever experienced. I sold it in 2000 and bought it back after seeing it on the side of the road in 2003. I resold it again for a new CV and hated to see it go. Great riding car, power and looks. I had to drive a 500 last year because my CV was in for routine maint. I liked the stereo system but hated the ride and the feeling of being in a front wheel drive car. I am now driving my dads 85 CV he sold me. The A/C doesnt work anymore but the motor is smooth and the interior is still good. I hardly put any money into it. It just runs.118000 miles.
    In your process of removing fuses, did you remove all of the fuses in both fuse boxes?
  • cyberwizcyberwiz Posts: 7
    Funny you should ask. It was my understanding that I had gone through each fuse, one by one. First in the fuse block under the hood followed by the block under the dash.

I broke down and took it into the garage this morning and they just called claiming that the keyless entry doorpad is what was causing the problem. They said that when they pulled that fuse the problem cleared. Either they're lying or I missed a fuse somehow. They're also telling me that the keyless entry shares a circuit with the fuel pump and I should allow them to apply a TSB that calls for installing an RFI filter on the fuel pump to address whining in the AM radio. The tech is thinking that RFI filter might help. Having spent years installing electronic systems at radio stations I've seen few current draw problems that were resolved by RFI filters, especially at 12VDC. I've asked them to disable the doorpad if possible and leave it alone. I'm not aware of the keyless system sharing circuitry with the fuel pump. While $280 they quoted to replace the doorpad isn't terrible, I can buy a doorpad pretty cheaply and do it myself if that's what it needs. I'm still not certain that they've found the problem.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Posts: 62
    Has anyone else had issues with the A/C compressor completely kicking off when at a stop or in park? We all know you get better A/C when going 70 mph, but a buddy of mine has a 2007 Crown Vic. All is well except for the A/C. If you are in park and have it on, you literally have fan-only. Even low-speed driving around town doesn't seem to fully engage the compressor.

If he's driving at regular highway speeds, you get a good cooling effect. Still not great, but good. The dealership claims everything is within specs, which sounds like double-talk for "it ain't right but it's gonna work just like it is right now so get used to it".

Is the A/C on that car known for running below par? He moved into a CV from a Buick Rendezvous that, if nothing else, had A/C that reminded you of the North Pole when he turned it on.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    I have a 2000 police interceptor and it's missing. The plugs and wires were replaced last winter, could this be a distributor cap? Any other ideas? It has 111,300 miles on it.
    The cap is usually replaced when needed. I'd bet on the need for cleaning the Mass Air Sensor or replacing it.