Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• Try greasing the hood latch. It may be rubbing there.
  • I read two other posts about this problem, but saw no answers. After a long ride on previous day, but when car is cold, my 2000 CV with 54,000 miles (and handling pkg) keeps stalling out. Must hold gas pedal down about 1" to keep it running. It has done this about 10 times now. Took it to dealer and they couldn't find anything, blamed it on key which was mis-coded. But problem came back. Anyone have any ideas???
  • I just ordered a new CV LX with handling pkg, dual exhaust, Comfort Plus group, with digital dash, ATC air, leather seats and steering wheel, prem. radio, ABS and traction control. I should get the unit around April 1. What can I expect?
  • Kinley,

Sorry for the late reply, but I've had computer problems. The dealer is Carman Ford in Wilmington, Delaware. Call 302-323-2300. The salesman is Barry. It's a '99LX with cloth, no handling package.
  • When the pedal is at idle, the throttle body is totally closed and another valve, the idle air control valve,is opened by the computer to control the idle airflow. Perhaps it is sticking closed.

My 92 Grand Marquis had one sticking open(lots of carbon on the shaft) and with my foot off the gas it went 60 mph! What fun!

Try tapping on the idle air control valve and see if it idles okay. It's on top of the engine on the LH side just behind the plastic cover on top of the engine. Just a thought...
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Try STP Fuel injector cleaner (no affiliation) or a comperable product. Sounds like you may not be getting enough fuel
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    my '90 Vic did the same thing! well, mine would only hold 35mph, but its still hard on the ol' brakes...
  • thanks for the tips, will try both of them
  • ltd86ltd86 Posts: 1
    My 85 Crown Vic wagon won't start. It trys to start, but it won't. I can't tell what engine the car has. I'm assuming it has the 5.8, because when I pulled one of the plugs to replace it, the plug was for the 351. But the car's vin says it is supposed to have the 302. I've checked the plug wires, the coil, and I replaced the ignition module on the distributor. But when I bought the ignition module, I bought it one for a 302. Is it possible that the ignition module is my problem? If somebody could help me with this, it would be appreciated.
    Your car has the 302, I'm pretty sure. I think 1978 was the last year for the 351 in the Crown Vic. Anyway, the fact that more than one engine takes the same spark plugs is no surprise to me. You'd be surprised at the amount of parts sharing that goes on in Ford cars. (I found interior lights in my 1995 T-Bird that are identical to the ones in my 1978 Grand Marquis).
    BTW, how did you know the plug was for a 351?
    As far as no start, an engine needs 3 things to run, Fuel, Spark, and Compression.
    Spark: Are the plugs good? What kind of shape are the cap & rotor in?
    Fuel: Is it water/other contaminants in the gas? Is your car carburated or fuel injected? Is it getting fuel to the carb/injectors? Are your injectors clogged? Is your fuel pump working? When was the fuel filter last replaced?
    Compression: Have a mechanic run a compression check. Did the car burn any oil? (Oil on spark plugs, bluish-white smoke from the exhaust) Did it get less than 10 MPG highway? Was the engine loosing power as it got older?
  • swong1swong1 Posts: 14
    LTD86! Real easy to troubleshoot provided it's a non fuel injected car. Like the earlier post mentioned you need basically fuel, spark, and finally compression. Take one of the spark plug boot's off and insert a straightened paperclip into the boot making contact with the terminal inside the boot. Bring the exposed paperclip close to the block while someone cranks the engine over. If you see spark then proceed to have someone goose the accelerator pedal a few times (make sure the engine is off when you do this step). Look down the carb as someone stomps on the accelerator pedal. If you see fuel dripping down the car you know at least you have fuel (this rules out a clogged fuel filter!). If you don't have fuel nor smell it troubleshoot the fuel line, fuel filter, possibly fuel pump. If you have fuel injection there is not way you can troubleshoot except with both a fuel pressure gauge hooked to the schrader valve and a noid lite to the harness. Fuel injected engines though extremely reliable preclude basic troubleshooting unless you have additional tools the typical homeowner doesn't have. Once you have reached your frustration level bring the car into a good shop but be prepared to pay $40.00 per hour!
  • I'm going to be leasing a new car later this year after my current lease expires, and I'm debating between a Volvo S40 and a larger car with fewer safety features, such as a Crown Victoria. I've always wanted to buy a Volvo because of their devotion to safety, but until the S40 came to the U.S., I haven't been able to afford one.

My main concern with the S40, at least in terms of safety, is the overall size of the car. It weighs only 2,800 pounds compared to a Crown Vic which weighs 4,000 pounds. The CV only has dual front airbags for safety while the S40 has side airbags, head airbags, and whiplash protection seats.

However, what seems to make the CV so safe is its enormous size. I wonder in a head-on collision between a CV and an S40, which driver would be more severely injured?

Other than the size issue, I like the S40 much better. It has FWD (better in the snow), much better gas mileage, better handling, easier to park and maneuver, more comfortable seats, more attractive styling. It's just that most safety experts say that bigger is always better. If a 4,000 pound object collides with a 2,800 pound object, the 4,000 pound object will likely come away with less damage...so they say anyway.

I know that the S40 got very good ratings from the government agencies that test car safety in Europe, but does anyone know when or if NHTSA (here in the U.S.) is going to crash test an S40?

Like I said, everything except the overall size of the S40 is telling me to buy it over the Crown Vic. Thanks a lot for any advice you guys might have.
    Well, if both cars are going 40 mph, and (I'll round down the weight of the Volvo to make the math easier. It makes it sound worse for the Volvo than it reallly would be), the Crown Victoria was 4,000#, and the Volvo 2000#, the Crown Victpria would decelerate from 40 mph to 20 mph at impact, while the Volvo would go from 40 to -20 (backwards at 20 mph). It would be the equivalent of the Ford hitting a brick wall at 20 mph, and the Volvo doint the same at 60 mph. *However*, in the real world, since the volvo weighs more than half what the Ford does, and since the front ends of both cars would absorb a lot of the force, both number will be much lower, but the Volvo will still get the worst end of the deal. Seat belts and dual front airbags are the only safety features to cushin the driver in either car. The rest of the stuff the Volvo has over the Ford will only help in side (all the other airbags) or rear (anti-whiplash seats) impacts. The panels conclusion, In frontal impacts the Ford has the advantage, while in side and rear impacts, Volvo is the winner. I guess some investigation is in order to find out which kind of accident is more common, before we can tell which car is safer, but no one will accuse either car of being a deathtrap.
  • To JET55 and YUNSE193 - I have had 3 CV's, a 94, 96 and 99. EVERYONE one of them developed what can only be described as a "creaking" noise when making a turn or going over road bumps. Most annoying! All were company cars and turned in at 75K-85K miles, except the 99 which I bought because I left the company and with 55K miles on it the 99 was a good deal for $10K from the lease company. I needed a car so... Anyway, I went nuts going back and forth to dealers and whoever, and NOBODY admits or has an answer for the problem! Since 94 no less! I am shopping for a new car now, one thing for sure, no more CV's.
    This is a common problem in Thunderbirds of that vintage as well. The ruber bushings in your upper control arms are shot. (If you're not technical minded, it's the u-shaped piece of metal behind the tire that runs from the body to the brake assembly). Should be about $20 in parts.
  • Well, first of all, both cars have a good reputation for safety. The extra airbags and whiplash protection in the volvo make up for its lack of size. That being said, however, another thing that needs to be thought about is relative insurance costs. The one BIG advantage a CV has over virtually every other car on the road is how cheap it is to repair, both mechanically and in bodywork. Because the Crown Vic is body on frame, most of the difficulties of repairing bodywork typical for today's cars doesn't apply to the CV(or the Grand Marquis, or Lincoln Town Car) Another big plus for the CV is that while size and weightwise it is in the same class as an SUV, it has the high-speed handling characteristics of a sedan, and not an SUV, meaning that to roll a Crown Vic, you really need to work at it. As far as handling vs. a Volvo goes, give a CV a decent pair of shocks, and you might be surprised at how well it does handle. The '98 up CVs handle surprisingly well given their size.
  • Thanks for your input. I sort of thought the CV was safer than the S40. I even had someone in the S40 forum tell me the same thing. If I could afford a larger Volvo like the S60, it might be better (the S60 is about 3,400 pounds).

Oh, and ditto on the repair costs. The CV has been around for decades so I know that in terms of maintenance and repair, it is very economical.
    Also, if I go with a CV, I plan to get the performance and handling package, or at least put on a pair of Bilstein shocks. I've never driven anything larger than a Honda Accord, so it will be a big adjustment going to a CV. I'm planning to rent one for a weekend in a few more months just to make sure I'm okay with the size and handling.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice.
  • Even with the HPP, get the bilsteins, and the HPP version is a much faster car than the one you'll rent.
  • Yes, I believe there's an increase in horsepower in the 2001 CV's. I won't be buying one until late summer/early fall which is a shame, because my local dealer has a fully loaded LX marked all the way down to $23K from $28K (although it's a 2000 model).

Oh well, I'm sure they'll have great deals on 2001 CV's at the end of this year. Plus, isn't the CV going to be redesigned starting with the 2002 model? That's what I've been hearing anyway. It will be interesting to see what changes they make... maybe side air bags? new exterior design?

Thanks again for the input.
  • in getting a new crown vic, do not forget about the mercury marauder coming out next year! or if that is too much performance for y'all, which is not a bad thing by the way :-), there's also the sport CV version coming out sometime shortly. i'd opt for the merc myself just because it'll be an impala ss, bmw, mercedes, lexus, etc. eating machine! and for about 28k at that!

peace out, homies