Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• sergeissergeis Posts: 133
    I have Mercury GM '95 with ~70K on it (mostly city). This is what I had to do since I bought it:
    Replace tape player (bad contact), under warranty
    Front brakes (2 yrs. ago, too much wear)
    All tires (this year)
    Plus oil and other regular stuff.
  • slinger31slinger31 Posts: 9
    If you are thinking of buying a 2001 GM or CV you had better get a good mechanic to check for Engine Imbalance. I just received my Check today from Ford on a buy back for just this problem. Trust me, I tried every GM, CV and Town Car at 3 different dealer locations and every car had the same problem. This did not exist prior to 2001. All 4.6 engines before 2001 are great. Again, think twice when looking at these vehicles.
  • suredsured Posts: 4
    I just bought a used 1994 Grand Marquis with 40,000 miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, I am experiencing the dreaded "transmission shudder" ! My question is.......should I try changing all the fluid and replacing it with Mercon V or should I take advantage of the powertrain warranty that came with my purchase ? If the fluid change works, I see no sense in changing the entire unit and maybe cause myself more problems. Any advice ??????????
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Do both. If you've got a warranty, it should cover getting the fluid replaced, and I'm sure the Ford guy would much rather do that than replace the transmission. If the Ford guy is worth his salt, he'll know about the problem, and that replacing fluid cures it. If not, if you're feeling gutsy, give him the heads up and hope he knows what he's doing, otherwise, find somebody that knows that transmission that will honor the warranty.
  • yonsei93yonsei93 Posts: 22
    Hey y'all,

I was driving on the Highway today at around 60mph. I accelerated trying to go a little faster but the car hesitates a little. Should I be concerned when a 4cyl 89 toyota whizzes by??
  • heydave_heydave_ Posts: 10
    I've been patiently waiting for someone with a new CV with the SAP to report what they think. Any of you out there? or, isn't the car actually out in the public's hands yet? or did I miss some posts?

Thanks!!
  • heydave_heydave_ Posts: 10
    Have all CV/GM fans fallen off the planet?? No new posts since 5/17 ??????????
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    But I do know they were making Crown Vics for a couple of years back in the 1950's. I think it was actually a trim package on the Sunliner or Fairlane or something, but they gave it a new name for marketing purposes. Got the "Crown" part from the Chrome strip going over the top of the car.
  • 4bing4bing Posts: 1
    My mother-in-law just bought a 95 CV, 28,000 actual miles, mint condition. She lives in Antioch, IL (far northeast corner of IL, on Wisc. border). Can anyone recommend a good dealer or mechanic for routine servicing? Just as important, is there anyone she should avoid.
  • 92touring92touring Posts: 1
    I'm craving a set of Bilstein shocks for my '92 Vic Touring Sedan. Most Bilstein shock sources
    foot note the REAR shock specs with "not for self leveling suspension" or "not with air
    suspension". However, other sources don't make an issue of it. I called Bilstein USA but can't get
    a straight up answer. Also talked with two shops that sell Bilsteins and claim to have installed
    them on "air bagger Vics" but can't say how good/bad they worked out. Has anybody tried this
    combo...any down side?
  • carzfancarzfan Posts: 2
    Had a 95 Crown Vic with performance/handling package. Liked it a lot. Good ride, reasonable handling. Traded it in at only 46k miles for a new 2001 Marquis. During the test drive I noticed a clunk somewhere down in or below the driver's seat but did not think much of it. After having the car for a week I realized that the clunk happened when I made a right turn and accelerated at the same time: often but not always. Took it to dealer and they were clueless. Biggest problem, and biggest mistake I made was thinking this car would be just like my comparably equipped CV. It's not. The GM rides hard!! - and it has cushy Goodyear LS tires too. My wife has back problems and the hard ride was the deciding factor in trading it in at 3200 miles. Also- it did not help to hear about the plastic intake manifold and how Ford was Not taking care of the problem. Next time I will test drive more carefully and look under the hood more thoroughly, and not assume that the car is the same. So we bought an Avalon. Good-bye clunk... whatever you are.
  • swong2swong2 Posts: 2
    Published: 25 May 2001
    By: Robert Lane
    Updated:
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. " - Martin Luther King Jr.

Ford Motor Company will extend the recall (01M02) on 4.6L V8 equipped vehicles with plastic intake manifolds. Some of the composite intake manifolds used on 4.6L SOHC engines may develop fatigue cracks at the coolant crossover duct. This condition could result in engine coolant leakage which, if not serviced, may cause engine overheating. Complete loss of coolant may result in engine damage or engine failure.

The updated recall now includes:
    • Certain 1996 through 2001 Model Year Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
    • Certain 1998 through 2001 Model Year Crown Victoria with Taxi
    • Certain 1998 through 2001 Lincoln Town Car Limousine and Livery Prep Package
    • Certain 1996-2001 Crown Victoria Taxis, Police cars and Lincoln Town Car Limousine and Livery cars.

• Certain 1996 through 1997 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1996 Model Year through January 28, 1997.
    • Certain 1998 through 2001 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.
    • Certain 1998 through 2001 Crown Victoria Taxi Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.
    • Certain 1998 through 2001 Lincoln Town Car Limousine Prep Package and Livery Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the Wixom Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.

If an intake manifold coolant leak is detected, the dealer will replace the intake manifold. Owners of the affected cars are being notified that additional coverage for this specific condition is being provided. The coverage will be for 7 years from the warranty start date of the vehicle (no mileage limitation). This additional coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

Read it and weep! To make the firestone tire debacle worse Ford comes out with another TSB fessing up to what we already know about their plastic resin intakes. This is not very comforting knowing the intake can "go south" rendering your vehicle undriveable in the middle of BFE. Enough of this can any third party come out with a metal intake?...I'd be willing to pay with my own money to get this fixed for once and for all.
  • dayton2dayton2 Posts: 5
    I'm still asking if anyone has a 2001 grand marquis with steering wheel vibration?? Every little bump in the road is felt in the steering wheel. Ford/Mercury says its the larger tires? Doesn't anyone else notice this? It feels like your riding on a basketball, bounce, bounce, bounce. Never had this problem with the previous 15 inch tires.
  • dwight53dwight53 Posts: 19
    Dealer is offering invoice with $2000 rebate and $500 loyalty discount.
  • carzfancarzfan Posts: 2
    That is part of what I was saying about the hard, jittery ride in the 2001 GM with the perf and handling package. Not only was the ride bumpy but yes, you could feel every little bump through the steering wheel too. Tried lower tire pressure and that did not help much, certainly not enough.
  • samuelgsamuelg Posts: 36
    Folks,

For all my belly aching about my 2001 GM with the offset seats & erongomic shortcomings, I have not experienced the steering wheel vibration problem. Mechanically, the car seems to handle (P&H package is a must) rather well for such a large boat. I have to admit that the gas mileage is horrible with the P&H. I get around 15 city, 21 highway. I could be driving an SUV with this kind of MPG.

I did successfully reengineer the drive seat to be in-line with the steering wheel. The misalignment at drove me crazy. But the fix is not for the faint-hearted. I also rebuilt the cushioning in the seat to make it softer. If you look at the older seat design (1993) vs the 2001, you can easily see why the newer seat is firmer/harder/hurts my toosh! In the newer models, 1/2 of the seat is spring, the rest is sheetmetal. The older seats are all spring suspension. Most people don't notice this, but my boney-butt hurt too much. I admit this is a unique problem I have. I loved the Avalon when I checked it out last year, but the seats were way too hard. Now with all my seat reengineering experience, I may give it another try.

I have been fairly miserable for the 7 months I've owned this car. I too was very unhappy with it from day 3 of ownership. I'm giving it 1-2 more months to see if my latest seat redesign is comfy. You can't tell I did anything b looking at it- all the changes have been under the inner foam. The upholstry is identical to factory. I'f I'm not happy by the end of June, I will sell this car and face the financial hit. Unfortunately, my family, as passengers, loves this car. Figures....

SamG
  • 427435427435 Posts: 86
    The Wall Street Journal reported tonight that SUV sales are down and resale values have also dropped sharply!! Maybe Ford has the next "hot" vehicle---a comfortable, safe car with a full frame and rear drive that easily gets 20+ MPG. The biggest impediment to that happening is the lack of attention to detail that the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis engineers have and product planners that can only think "geriatric" when they think of these cars.

Compared to my '93 Grand Marquis that has given me 168,000 miles of good service, lots of space and comfort, 22-24 MPG on the highway and a tow rating of 5000 lbs., the new Grand Marquis and Crown Vic's ride like a "basketball"; have plastic intake manifolds that not only fail but took Ford a long time to "confess to"; have strange vibrations Ford can't fix, and the cars aren't built strong enough to tow more than 2000 lbs!! Let's see now---what do you think is going to happen to sales?

Somebody at Ford that has a little passion and vision needs to take over this line of cars.
  • mrfmrf Posts: 20
    Just some comments on the passing scene:

General comments regarding the CV/GM : You guys forgot to add BORING to your list of gripes. My 2000 GM is both generally boring to drive (although you gotta love anything with a V8) and extraordinarily boring in its reliablity so far (25k). As an FYI: previous car was an Accord. Its reliablity was.... 'sporatically annoying'. However, the Honda dealer I dealt with was first-class, the Lincoln/Mercury/Jaguar dealer I dealt with is populated by morons..

Gas Mileage: Yes, I typically average 22-23 mpg with a 100 mile daily round-trip commute (mostly highway). Most folks I know with mid to full-sized SUV's are lucky to get mid-teens on long highway trips.

The ride: My opinion is that the handling/performance package needs better shock calibration, as rebound control is pretty lousy over bumps.... and yes, these cars are not the mush-mobiles of the '70's, but personally, I think the ride is not at all 'harsh' compared to the 'big sellers': Accord, Camry, et al.... or better yet...an SUV...

The manifold: My take is this: if it blows around 100k or whatever, and not much else breaks, then no problem, fix it, and I got another 100k to go...even though I'll probably only keep the car to 125 or 150k. But, if it blows at say 50k....well, it gets fixed, I trade-in on something else...simple as that. (I know this is not an option for everybody).