Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    I'm assuming that by "regular listing" you mean the first page of topics as there are three. Currently, the Town Hall sorts topics by topic number, ascending, by default. As the old topic was number 104, it naturally appeared at the start of the list. As new topics are added, number 3207 will migrate towards the first page but it will be a while. Unfortunately, that's the way it is. I've been lobbying to have the default sort order switched to most recent post, descending which would keep the most active and popular topics on the first page. That could be good or bad for some topics but would help new users find the most frequently referenced topics more easily. For now, you can either click on "Last Post" to sort by most recent post or "end of the list" to get to the higher topic numbers instead of using the Search tool.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • dranoeldranoel Posts: 79
    The CV and the GM are undoubtedly the best buys in the automotive market for maximum size at minimum price. The both do their appointed jobs admirably which fulfills the needs for at least 75% of automotive buyers. They really don't have any competition. That being said, they are bland, boring generic transportation devices, I find them as exciting as a refrigerator.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    Dranoel, I agree that the CV & GM are bland, but if you take a hard look at Toyotas, Hondas and General Motors, they are also bland. Chrysler has the cutting edge design, but mechanically are junk, just read the posts on this site.
  • btroybtroy Posts: 92
    I usually wear jeans or khakis. You could say they are bland and generic, but I think of them as classic and comfortable and they suit me just fine. Maybe a sequined jumpsuit excites you, but it doesn't affect me that way. I'll stick with what's comfortable on me.
    My previous car had a recommended maintenance interval for replacing the oxygen sensor. I noticed the CV's service schedule doesn't mention replacing it. Anybody have any information on whether and when it would be a good idea to change it? Same question for the fuel filter.
  • cebuanocebuano Posts: 24
    So you find the CV & GM as exciting as a refrigerator? Auto thieves feel the same way. That's why we CV/GM owners enjoy very low insurance rates as well as comfort and safety. Keep the alarm on your 99 Mercedes in good order :-)
  • dranoeldranoel Posts: 79
    I view cars like a bag of golf clubs. Each one has its purpose. You like CV & GM for your game. I have minivan to cover my generic, bland transportation game.
  • bthompbthomp Posts: 69
    Styling is subjective. To me most cars look the same. Like others with this group, I like cars that run and are functional. You can beat on these cars, and they don't cost you an arm & leg to fix. The CV/GM vs Mercedes "issue" doesn't exist. As for "bland" if I wanted to drop 40+k on a car, I'd go to http://www.kennybrown.com/pantherintro.html and open up my own can of whoopa--! Some buy the image to make up for the life they don't have, others just have the life, and the image doesn't matter:-) I have other priorites in life other than buying a car for my MANY moods.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    Well said.
  • dynamikedynamike Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 GM with 18,000 miles on it; for the last 6 months, after driving 50 to 100 highway miles --- once off the parkway --- each time I stop or go over any size bump --- or hit the brakes --- there is a crunching/creaking sound like a bad spring/shock, or something coming from the front end! Ford says they never heard of a thing --- and my personal mechanic thinks it is somewhere in the suspension. I'm going to "ditch" soon --- if the problem isn't solved soon! Any ideas? Thanks!
  • jerry78jerry78 Posts: 2
    I ordered a Crown Vic in January with the important options (traction control, perf. pkg.)and at a great price. I'm really looking forward to driving it to work on Rt. 128/95 near Boston where the traffic is fairly intense. Luckily I have the reverse commute scenario (outbound in the morning) and people drive pretty fast. A big solid car which looks like a possible unmarked police car is fine with me. My question is, how long does it take to actually get these cars? The sales guy keeps telling me it's on the way, and I'm sure it is. When should I expect it?
  • wnicholswnichols Posts: 42
    I got my 99 GM in eight weeks - you should get yours any time now. Congrats.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Driving east on I-20 thru louisiana, I saw at least half a dozen 18-wheelers loaded down with police package Crown Vics headed west. (Blacked out grille and no trim on front doors is how I know they were police cars.) It seems Ford is shipping these things pretty fast. Where exactly is the plant that makes them? (FWIW, there were a lot of truckloads of new Tauruses going north on I-85 out of atlanta too on that trip. I thought they made those things in Dearborne!)
  • kingfishguskingfishgus Posts: 112
    I noticed my 93 GM was hard to keep in a straight line after getting an alignment, especially on the Interstate. Thought it was me, but when I took it back and got another front end man, he said it was aligned incorrectly. Specs called for toe-in/out to be set at 0 degrees (I believe). Other technician had set it for 2 or 3 degrees, each side. We talked to other tech, and he said it is common to toe in cars at the upper limit, or a little more, because most people feel this makes their cars "handle" quicker. On my GM, it makes it hard to keep in a straight line. We reset to 0 degrees and it runs straight much better. If you are wandering around, make sure aligment tech sets it to specifications, not what he want's to set it at.
    The Crown Vics are built in St Thomas, Ontario, Canada, which is on Lake Ontario outside of Toronto. I'm not sure how they do it, but it is possible to ship by ocean-vessel, rail or truck from there. Kind of funny that this "domestic" car is built in a foreign country.
  • cebuanocebuano Posts: 24
    Jerry78,

I ran into the same situation. I ordered a deep wedgewood blue CV with dark denim cloth seats on Jan. 17. On the seventh week of hearing nothing I started bugging the fleet manager I was working with. When he didn't call me back in a couple of days as he promised, I called him again and got his answering machine leaving a message asking if any action had been taken in trying to track my car. He called back a few hours later with the bad news that my CV had not been built yet. This was nearly two full two months after the order! He said the St. Thomas, Ontario factory was currently overloaded with government orders - I guess FBI, CIA, cops, whatever. That may explain Rea98d's siting of all those trucks loaded with CV cop cars.

That really worried me because the $1500 rebate was to end 3/31 and I wasn't sure what it would be after that. I decided to call him back and do a dealer search with the options I wanted but I would be more flexible with the color. I ended up settling for Harvest Gold and now I'm thinking that color will not show dirt easily like the dark blue. So things turned out okay.

So maybe you should bug the saleman somemore to find out if they even started on your car yet. By the way, they are transported via rail out of St. Thomas.
  • bthompbthomp Posts: 69
    They probably ship the cars via car carrier through St Lawrence Seaway down to a central distribution point like Charleston or Georgia. From there they use truck car carriers to distribute them. I'm wondering how the total quantity of CV/GM's built stack up to the most popular car models. Ble Oval rumor has it that the CV/GM platform will not get the 5.4 because they are all being used for the SUV's.
  • bdavis8bdavis8 Posts: 12
    I would like to know if anyone out there can give me any feedback pros and cons on the 3:27 rear end v's the 3:55. I currently own a 1999 CVLX with every option, but due to a drivers door problem ford is replacing my car with a new 2000. I was told by my dealer that the 2000 would have the 3:27, but everything I have read indicates that it will have a 3:55. I am happy with the performance of the 3:27. Is the 3:55 performance worth the loss of gas mileage? Also what kind of mileage should I expect?
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    the tire size would be helpful. Maybe the 3.27 has a smaller diameter tire & wheel than the 3.55. Some Ford products usually have a 215 X ?, but the "Touring" option has the 225 X ? with a higher ratio. IMO, not much difference. Rather than fit a replacement driver's door on your 99, the factory is replacing the entire automobile? What other facts are we missing here? Pray tell.
  • cswcsw Posts: 1
    If you have a 99 with all options, you have a 3:55 rear axle ratio. It is standard in 99 with the performance package.