Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• go a head trade it... I currently own a 1998 Crown Vic that is 95% the same as the 2001...and I've owned a 1997 Intrepid...they are totaly different...the C.V. is more confortable, faster, safer, and very reliable...compared to the intrepid..even though the C.V. is V8 and the Intrepid is V6, the mpg is almost the same...
    The C.V. and G.M. are basically the same the difference is only cosmetic. but The G.M. is about $1,000dlls more and has a higher resale value....
    Good Luck...
  • I have a '93 with the towing option that was rated for 5,000 lbs. In addition to the 3.27 rear axle, air suspension, HD shocks etc., it also had a heavier driveshaft and HD cooling (including transmission cooler) which the performance/handling package doesn't.

I don't understand why, but when Ford changed the rear suspension in '97 or '98, they dropped the towing option. I have to think there's something in the suspension or transmission that will no longer stand up to towing heavier loads than the current 2000 lb rating. It's a real shame as my '93 (with 174,000 miles and no drive train problems) would have been replaced by now if I could still get the tow option. It does a better job of towing my 3500 lb boat than an E150 van with a tow package and 351 V-8 did!!

Is there anyone else out there that would pay for a tow package option that would tow more than 2000 lbs with a vehicle that is as comfortable as the CV and GM? And that gets 22-25 mpg when not towing!!!
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    I think the tail lights on the 98 & up Grand Marquis's are much better looking than the Ford's, but that's my opinion. I know the only real differences are the radiator grille and taillights, but I think the Grand Marquis looks better than the Crown Vic. I see a Crown Victoria as a taxi/police car, while the Grand Marquis is a bit more of a luxury car. Yeah, I know it's just Ford marketing screwing with my head, but I just prefer the taillights on the Mercury. Monochrome just looks cheap. Take the new Jag X-Type. 95% of the pictures shown in marketing brochures, magazines, ect, show the car in a shade of red that shouldn't be applied to anything other than Kias and Neons, and the Jag has the "sports package" which means all the chrome is now body colored. The result is making what would otherwise be a good looking car look like a Korean import. It looks like a cheap Maaco paintjob when you "black out" all the chrome.

Okay, end of rant.
  • While the horizontal red panel that ties the 2 tail lights together is a nice touch, it would look much more finished/intregrated (sp?) if the chrome spears that go no-where were eliminated.

If an emblem were added to the CV tail lights (like the town car), it would look much better also. But Ford doesn't want the CV to look too good---somebody besides the police and taxi companies might buy one.
  • I've had a strange experience with 2000 GM today. After the car was closed headlights continue cycle on and of for an hour, until I had to restart a car and fiddle with headlights switch a little (it was initially in autolamp position, near the middle of delay selection). Lights went off, but keyless entry stop respond to a code from door keypad. But after another trip this was back to normal too. I wonder if anybody experienced something like this, and what needs to be done. My car is still on warranty, but I'm doubtful if dealer will be able to locate the problem as it not present now. In the same time, I do not want to pay for pricey solid-state modules after warranty is over.
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    strip and add lights to the reflectors on the trunk lid.

Like the previous T-Bird model...
    I have one of those T-Birds, and I'm going to say as cool as it looks, it's a bad idea. The LED lights in the trunk tend to get dim, usually only on one side, cannot be fixed, and are hideously expensive to replace. $1.95 at Wally World when a regular taillight goes out, over $200 when one of those led panels buys the farm.
  • Even though you suspect the problem will not be located, take it in and have it written up and looked at by your dealership's shop. Make sure the Repair Order is specific and comprehensive. Write/type the problem, dates, etc. Give a copy to the service advisor and keep a copy for your records. Courts have held that establishing a paper trail documents the problem(s) existed before your warranty expired, and you may have legal recourse if it dies after the paper warranty goes pfffftttt! It's a hassle, but potentially worth several hundred dollars down the road. Good luck = good records! Best wishes!
    I thought they were plain old bulbs...

My mom had a '93 T-Bird; I never checked, but I could've sworn they were bulbs. They worked fine for 3 years, whatever they were... :)
    Yup, they're LED's. And a pain in the cabeza de vaca as well when something goes wrong. Be glad your mom's works right.
  • Leave the red reflector between the rear tail lights---it doesn't have to be lighted. Just lose that g--awful looking piece of chrome sticking into the tail light that only a blue haired old women (with bad taste) could like.
    well, it is at her eye level...

my mom drives a '94 Ranger now (she likes 4wd)... we haven't had the Bird since it was traded on a '96 Taurus LX which was traded on a '99 F-350 crew cab... a proud Ford heritage. :)

I wish Ford would come out with an LTD II. A mini-Vic if you will. Or, take a Lincoln LS, slap a Ford badge on it, and let me have it for $22k out the door. They could even paint it British Racing Green. <^;
    I think Ford has a mid sized RWD car in the works for 2003 or 2004 or so. Last I heard they were considering reviving the Fairlane name for it. Sounds like an excellent idea to me, and I'd buy something called Fairlane long before I'd buy a Tortose, er, I mean Taurus.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Blue Oval News reports that Ford is considering replacing the Taurus with a RWD sedan, loosely based upon the upcoming Mustang, which itself will be based on the Lincoln LS platform. However, such a car probably would not debut before 2006. Ford may also put the Taurus on the next generation Volvo S80 or next generation Mazda 626 FWD platform.
  • I just finished looking over the Edmunds pricing and model structure for the 2002 CV/GMs and discovered that there's good news and bad news. First the good news: ABS and Traction Control are standard on all models. Now the bad news: The standard equipment list indicates that rear brakes are drums (I hope this is just a typo). If you want the P&H package, you can only get it on the most expensive models, the Crown Victoria LX Sport and the Grand Marquis LSE, both of which start at $27K and $29K, respectively. Somebody say it isn't so!!! It was my understanding that in years past, you could get the P&H package as an option on all trim levels, not just the higher level ones. I am highly disappointed by this. Does anybody else feel the same as I do on this issue?
    But I think Ford wants performance oriented buyers to go for the Marauder. If they jack up the minimum price for a Crown Victoria with the performance & handling package, it pushes it closer to Marauder territory, and it's not such a jump from a Grand Marquis GSE to a Marauder as it is from the base car. So, Ford is hoping more consumers who would have bought a P&H will go for the Marauder. FWIW, I also expect the Sport Appearance Package to disappear after the Marauder is introduced. Like I say, this is just my conjecture, but I think the SAP was put into production to give consumers anxiously awaiting the Marauder to nibble on, and maybe test the waters to see what kind of market there really is for a sportscar version of the Crown Victoria.
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    Why make P&H available to basic buyers who are not interested in much other than what it takes to roll out the dealer's door?
    I think there are people out there who would buy a car without power windows, seats, A/C, seat padding, hi-beam headlights, stereo, and ever other feature that isn't absolutely neccesary to run fast, and then drop in a 460 CID engine and 6-speed manual transmission. In other words, the only features they would pay more for are the ones that make the car go fast, and if you make them start paying for leather seats, voice activated cell phones, 1,000,000 watt stereos, in dash microwaves, Direct TV, and all the other nonsense, just to get a more powerful engine and 3.55 gears, they get ticked off. That, I think, is why some people want the P&H on a stripped down bare bones car. WIth the Marauder coming out, I doubt they're going to get that, as Ford will want to push as maany performance buyers as they can up to the most profitable (read expensive) model of the bunch.
  • Just purchased a 2001 CV. Had owned a '97 and was time to get a new one. I really wanted an LX with the comfort-plus and the handling package. However, I let a good deal slip away and ended up getting the handling package and the comfort package only. When I was looking at the car before I finalized the deal, I noticed in the trunk an adapter of sorts. When I asked the salesperson about it, he did not know, but thought it was for a CD player. I finalized the deal and went to pick up the car the next day, and I asked him again if he found out what the "jack" in the truck was for and he said it was for "computer hook up for service". I am not totally impressed with the salesperson, and wonder if he is right. Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to the brand of CD to get in terms of quality and ease of installation. Or any websites for information on installation or reviews of CD changers.