Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Forte 5-door

conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
I was over at my dealer getting my 48,000 km service done on my Rondo and picked up a copy of "Inside Kia" (Canadian issue) for October and saw this information:

[I]"Forte 5-door. A five-door hatchback model will join the Forte sedan and Koup, likely in 2010."[/I]

my dealer said they were expecting it before mid 2010, as he says he needs it to fill in the gap created by the demise of the Spectra 5.

Comments

• irritatrixirritatrix Member Posts: 40
    I can't get any local CA dealers to confirm the arrival of the hatchback. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I have a Sedona, which is a fantastic vehicle, but I want something smaller, and I can't live with a sedan. I've checked with 3 dealers who have all contacted KIA USA and not one can find out anything.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    I visited the Toronto Auto Show yesterday and enquired about the 5-door Forte. They said it was coming but could be another six months, however, they felt that photos of it could be available next month.
    The Forte 5-door will be added to the Forte family later this year and will feature a sporty European hatchback exterior & interior styling with 6-speed manual/automatic transmissions, while sharing the same engines with the Forte sedan. It will also have a full-flat folding rear seat to optimize utility. Forte 5-door will be suitable for drivers who want sporty European styling & utility
    Now's you chance to get in your two cents worth as Kia is asking for your comments and opinions and they will be passed onto the product manager. Check it out at:

http://kia-buzz.com/?p=4208
  • jacktheonejacktheone Member Posts: 4
    If you look at the Kia Netherland's web site at the Cee'd sport wagon could that be our new Forte 5 wagon?
    check it out (also photos of the new Optima/ Magentis)

http://kia-buzz.com/?p=4356
    - redesign lower bumper
    - push button start
    - 6 speed transmission with paddle shifters

from Michael Sprague VP of Marketing for KIA US.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KiaBUZZ#p/u/12/_4FsJe7pptI
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    This vehicle closely resembles the Kia Cee'd which is being produced in the Czech Republic for the European Market. There are some subtle, but obvious changes in the window design along with the Kia hallmark grille change. These cars seem to be very popular in Europe which favors hatchbacks over trunk sedans due to parking constraints.

'Whatcar.com in the UK, has some reviews on this vehicle, both owner and professional. Since the engines used overseas are considerably different than what is available here in the States, the reviews have different commentaries regarding driveability etc.

Hope this is of some value.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    From the pics, it appears that Kia has succeeded in created a very tasteful and sporty 5-door design. Much like Mazda did with the Mazda3 5-door, they've built a more versatile and attractive vehicle than the 4-door sedan on which it is based! I own a 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door and I can't imagine ever going back to a regular sedan (with a trunk). By adding the new 5-door, the Forte just earned a space on my short list of possibilities for my next new car....in another year or two!

Until I saw the pics, I was concerned that the execution of the 5-door design would end up more "wagon" than "hatchback". The Hyundai Elantra Touring is a bit too wagon-like for my taste and I feared the Forte might follow suit. Glad to see that it didn't...and maybe the next-gen Elantra Touring will take after the Forte 5-door....we can hope!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    just announced by Kia Motors worldwide:

The Forte (Cerato) 5-door hatchback will be entering production in late August and will feature Kia's new 6-speed automatic as well as 6-speed manual transmissions as standard. Optional features not found on the current Forte (Cerato) sedan include paddle shifters and LED rear combination lamps. The 2011 MY Forte (Cerato) sedan will also adopt all of these new standard and optional features.

LX - $16,695 - $19,295

EX - $19,195 - $21,295

SX - $22,495 - $26,195

now available in 6-spd manual or 6 spd auto. LX and EX come with 2.0L 156 hp engine, SX with the 2.4L 173 hp engine. Push button start and paddle shifter on SX model (auto only)

Delivery and destination have to be added of $1455 and $100 a/c tax (if applicable) and metallic colour charge of $150.
    first picture I've seen showing the hatch open.

• googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    No, netregenger , the Cee"d is made in Zelina, Slovakia. It used to be part of Chechoslovakia, but for quite a few years now is an independent country.
    Juist my 2 cents, to keep it straight.
    I visited Kia Canada's head office in Mississauga, Ontario yesterday and was able to view the pre-production model of the Forte 5 door which was on display in their showroom. Because it was pre-production it was locked so no inside shots.

• daratdarat Member Posts: 3
    Nice shots, Hey conwelpic do you know if the Five Door will have soft touch plastics like the new Hyundai i30 ,or the hard very easy to scratch plastics.
    edited September 2010
    As I said it was a pre-production model and you couldn't get inside so I have no idea. Not familiar with the Hyundai i30, I think that's a European model.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    This car is much better looking than the Hyundai Elantra Touring and offers the choice of two different engines. Any idea when these will actually hit US showrooms?
    this was on Kia Motors announcement of their September Sales on Oct 1st

The most aggressive new vehicle launch cycle in the auto industry will continue with the arrivals of the functional Forte 5-door later this month and the highly anticipated all-new 2011 Optima midsize sedan in November."

Production on the 5-door started in late August.
    Thanks. Looking forward to taking a good look at it.
    here's a closer view with the seats up.

Took the wife's Rondo in for a new battery today . Talked to the sales manager and he stated that the Five Door won't be here (Oklahoma City) till January or Febuary. Guess i'll wait and see...
    that's unsual as my local dealer here in Ontario,Canada is expected his first shipment in the next 2-3 weeks. So I guess your local dealer didn't place any orders when they started production in early August. Read on another forum that he has already seen an SX model at his dealership in Edmonton, Alberta.
    Take everything you hear from a dealer with a large grain of salt. I've been told several times by dealers that a new model wouldn't be in for months and ooualah, they mysteriously appeared in a few weeks. They don't like to see people wait for a future car when they have present cars to sell them.
    Come to think of it ,the dealer lot was full of Soul's and Rio hatchbacks..
    was able to view the SX model at my dealers today

Early I was not aware of how the rear cargo area seats function, so this is the correct set up as shown in this EX Canadian model.

the headrest from the rear back cushion have to be removed but they have storeage slots in the base cushion to hold them in place.

as you can see it gives you a nice flat cargo area with no wasted space.
    Kind of strange the way the seat back moves forward and the headrests face the rear? Would it be too much to ask how that is accomplished?

I agree, that is a nice flat storage area with nothing intruding. Would be nice to get the dimensions too.
    you pull the base cushion forward slightly then up and it hinges forward to the position you see behind the front seats; the headrests are removed off the back rest cushion and inserted into two rod slots for the two outer headrest, the centre one actually fits into two loops on the centre part of the base cushion; then drop the back rest cushion into the area where the base cushion was previously located. Does that make sense?

Sorry I didn't think to take measurements.
    Tks. Yeah, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out if the cushion that was raised up against the front seats was the seat bottom or back. Works very similar on my SUV. I have to take the headrests out and just throw on the floor of the backseat. This is a little more thoughtful way of providing for storage of the headrest while you have it configured for hauling something.
    okay here's the dimensions

Very nice. Tks much for the dimensions.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    I got the chance to test drive a Forte5 a couple of days ago. It was a 2.0L EX automatic with moonroof.

The 2.0L engine seemed more than up to the task for me. It was plenty eager to downshift when necessary. The brakes were a little touchy for my tastes, but it's nothing I couldn't get used to. It seemed sporty enough to get by, and the ride was comfortable.

The interior was nicely put together, although it might be a little bit on the boring side. It seemed to have more room and as much cargo space as my 1999 Camry despite the fact that the Forte5 is well over a foot shorter in length. I'd forgo the moonroof for myself because I thought it cut into head room.

Since pricing isn't on Kia's website yet. This particular model was $19,300 with destination. Take the sunroof off, and you're left with $18,550 for an EX automatic. That's about $900 more than the 2010 EX automatic sedan. I'd say it's worth it for the extra two gears on the transmission, and inclusion of 16" allow wheels
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited November 2010
    A reporter is interested in talking with a recent and first-time owner of a Kia. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than noon on November 10, 2010, and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Saw my first Forte5 at my local dealer. It was an SX, red, automatic. Checked out what I could, but didn't drive it. Weather was turning bad and I had other things to do. Cargo space with seats up was better than expected. Fit and finish looked good. Not equipped with sunroof. Six speed automatic should improve mileage and acceleration.

The sticker was 20K. Perhaps the EX will be priced somewhat more afforably. This car resembles the Cee'd which is popular in Europe. There should be a market for this size hatchback. Am still awaiting the new Optima which hopefully will be here shortly.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Styling wise I do like the Forte 5dr better, BUT is it smaller in ways that will hurt my use? Anyone have dimensions for the storage area seats up and seats down?
    And please can someone refresh me on the engine differences. Both list a 2.0 but the Kia is new model, right? Substantially better in mileage and power?
    Funny how the Kia's look sporty to me, while the Hyundai's looked tricked out with curves and bump outs. I also think the Forte interior was better on first impression. Had red on the lighted dials which I did not like... was this only on the SX model I drove? I have a Pontiac and the orange dials are hard on my old eyes at night!
    see post #37 for the picture I took with the dimensions with the rear seats down.

The 2.0L engine between the Touring and the Forte 5 is dramatically different. This is Canadian info but I suspect its the same in the US:
    Forte 5 - 156 hp and 144 lbs of torque
    Touring - 138 hp and 136 lbs of torque

Forte 5 - 6 spd manual or 6 spd auto
    Touring - 5 spd manual or 4 spd auto

Substantially better mileage with the Forte. These are imperial mpg:
    Forte 5 range - 34 mpg to 50 mpg
    Touring range - 32 mpg to 43 mpg

The Forte with the 2.4L gets similar mileage as the 2.0L in the Touring. The Touring does not offer an optional engine. The Touring is using old technology for their mechanics which is why it has a lower base price. The Touring will have the edge in overall cargo capacity due to its style.
    edited December 2010
    The US ratings for the Forte 5-door are 26/36 mpg. You can build one on the US kia website now.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    The 2011 Elantra Touring is really based on the European i30, and is quite different from the 2011 Elantra sedan, a newer design. The Touring is still using the older 138-hp 2.0-L cast-iron block engine, with 5-speed manuals and 4-speed automatics. The sedans are using the new and more efficient 148-hp 1.8-L all-aluminum engines with 6-speed manuals and automatics. The Elantra's 1.8-L engine is even more efficient than the Forte's 2.0-L, developing 82.2-hp/L vs. 78-hp/L. As of this morning, the 2011 Elantra sedan was shown on Hyundai's Web site, but all supporting information was still pointing to the 2010 model. Until Hyundai migrates the Touring onto the Elantra platform, the Forte 5-door is a better buy, with more power and better fuel efficiency. But the sedans are a different story, as the Elantra's rated at 29/40 mpg, regardless of trim level and transmission type; the best the Forte can achieve is 26/36 mpg, and only with an automatic.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I'm very anxious to see how well the 2.0 performs in the 5-door with the new 6-speed auto. It has killer EPA ratings, but the two additional gears should really give the engine a lot more flexibility compared to the 4-speed auto it was saddled to previously!

The rear sub-floor organize layout looks very cool...is that a standard feature on all 5-doors?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I don't disagree with any of your analysis, but the Forte Eco does get 27/37 according to the EPA. I think that package is only available on the EX with Automatic.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Am I seeing double or is the Forte 5door an absolute dead ringer for a Subaru Impreza Hatchback. Only difference is the glitzy chrome around the taillights on the Subaru. Wait a minute maybe there is a rear side window difference?
    I don't think the 1.8L is more efficient than the 2.0L. Here's why:

1) The 2.0L is more powerful (8hp and 13 lb. ft.)
    2) The Forte's CoD is higher.
    3) The Forte is marginally heavier.
    4) The smart alternator from the Kia Forte Eco is standard on the Elantra.

I really think they just downsized the 2.0L to be able to reach that magical 40mpg barrier.

HP per liter is a bad comparison. HP per lb. of engine weight would be a better performance indicator. A good example would be the 5.0L V8 from Ford and the 6.2L V8 from Chevy. Both make similar numbers so you'd think you'd be able to automatically say that the 5.0L is more impressive, but both engines weigh the same. I still give the win to Ford for other reasons though.
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    I love Hyundai (about to sell my 2001 Elantra GT 5-speed with almost 250,000 miles on it), but if you check out real world gas mileage on the 2011 Elantra sedan with the new 1.8 liter engine, 40 mpg can only be achieved driving 55 on a relatively flat highway. Those that drove 65+ mph were only able to get 34-35 mpg, which is about the same as the 2011 Forte 2.0 liter engine.

Just an FYI. :)