Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe

Comments

• You don't have to forget the use of 2nd row vents; this is a real feature that works well... when you do this little operation. I have a 07 Santa Fe and when the first winter with this SUV arrived, I had the same problem. But, i tried this and since then, it works very well. 1) when the heat is beggining to exit from the front vents, close the 2 front vents beside the doors (for me, it's enough but you can close also the 2 front vents each side of the radio); in less than 1 minute, the heat is going to exit from the 2nd row vents. It looks like all the heat comming from the front is ''pushing'' the cold air inside the ducts to the 2nd row vents. When the warm air exits from the 2nd row vents, you can now open the front vents and the heat is now coming out from all the vents.
  • thanks. yes, i think that would work.

but without such a workaround, i dont get heat in rear vents even after 15 minutes and 20miles.
    my dealer is checking on it.

will keep you posted
  • viper14viper14 Posts: 24
    Based on message traffic from Santa Fe owners on transmission problems one should think twice on a new 2011 that has the same drive train as the 2010.
  • rmingrming Posts: 9
    Does anyone have a link to any information on possible changes for the 2012 Santa Fe? I want to replace my 03 Camry with an SUV. I have narrowed down to the Santa Fe and the Sorento. On 2011 models, Santa Fe is the winner, but it is lacking a few small features that the Sorento has. I like the interior styling on the Santa Fe much better. One big knock on the Sorento is the red interior lights. I had a rental Optima and I could hardly stand the red lights at night. However the Sorento has push button start and turn signal indicators built into the side mirrors. These are not deal breakers, but it would be nice to have on the Santa Fe if just waiting a few more months on the 2012's adds these features.

I am not in a hurry to buy and it will probably be sometime in the fall at the earliest. Also, I would consider the Sorento more favorably if the 2012 ditches the red lights in favor of green or blue. Since the Santa Fe had a pretty major restyle in 2010, I would not expect a major restyle for 2012, but I could be wrong. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    One other thing that was missing on the Santa Fe was reverse sensors. It had a back up camera, but it is very difficult to judge distances with it. I bought a Sorento EX V6 and it had both. I personally liked the Sorento inside and out over the Santa Fe. The red lights are bad on a bright sunny day when you have sun glasses on. Can't see any of them. Just as bad as the green lights on my 2009 Fusion. I have a feeling the Sorento and Santa Fe will be pretty much alike interior wise in 2012. They are now being built on the same assembly line that Kia built. I have no idea why these companies chose these colors. Didn't anybody test them before hand?
  • rmingrming Posts: 9
    You are right. I forgot about the back up sensors. I would like that feature too. I had a pretty long list of stuff I wanted at the best price possible so I figured I would have to compromise on a few things.

I agree with your assesment. With these two vehicles already being so similar and now on the same assembly line, I was hoping that the extra Sorento goodies might find their way to the Santa Fe in 2012. Will wait and see.
  • chucko6chucko6 Posts: 81
    Are the 2010-11 Sorrento owners complaining as much about the transmission problems as we Sante Fe owners are ???
    If so, there should be a huge cloud of suspecion over the purchase of either one.
  • jerry158jerry158 Posts: 5
    Kia is building and shipping the 2012 Sorentos now (see my post under 2011 Sorento for the changes) but has not updated their website to mention the 2012.

Would think the 2012 Santa Fe would be shortly behind.
    There is in fact a recall on the 4 cylinder Sorento. Fortunately I own a V6. I'm sure any problems in future builds will have been addressed now that they have discovered a problem.
  • chucko6chucko6 Posts: 81
    Unfortunately, the transmission problems are showing up in the 6 cylinder
    AWD. Don't be so certain that problems in " future builds " have been addressed since Hyundai is not even fessing up to the Transmission issues.
    Try this link for the details of some very good additions to the 2012 Sorento. Maybe Santa Fe will be the same. http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/whatsnew2012.php
    Here's more from the Kia forum website:

Changes of note:
    - LX I4 Trim - I4 GDI is added to AWD's and as an option on FWDs as part of convenience package. Adds 16hp and +3mpg. Also adds protection to cloth seats.

- LX V6 Trim - Lowered price as 3rd row is now optional.

- EX Trims - Adds UVO with back up camera, voice control, hard drive in dash, text message vocalization, etc. Newly designed wheel hubs (5 spoke vs 10), protection to cloth seats, LED interior illumination. New packages allow for power pax seat, memory seat and mirror, power folding mirrors.

- SX - adds stainless steel rear bumper protector, back up warning sensor, heated (now 3 settings) and ventilated drivers seat, memory seat/mirror, power folding mirrors, wood trimmed/heated steering wheel, cloth covered pillars, power pax seat and Black Dove offered as interior on all colors.

Packages:

PK1 - Leather, heated seats, auto dim mirror with homelink, folding mirrors, memory seat/mirror, power pax seat, navigation, infiniti sound, 3rd row. Available on EX 2.4

PK2 - Leather, heated seats, auto dim mirror with homelink, power pax seat, infiniti sound, pana roof. Available on EX 3.5l

PK3 - pana roof (SX Only)

LPK - Auto dim mirror, folding mirrors, memory seat/mirror, navigation, ventilated seats

Prices (I am only interested in 3 AWD models so thats all I priced)
    73442 EX 2.4 GDI with PK1 - MSRP 31450 INV 29600
    74442 EX 3.5 with LPK and PK2 - MSRP 34980 INV 32830
    74482 SX with pana roof - MSRP 36350 INV 34060
  • mdawggmdawgg Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where and/or how I can download the owner's manual for a 2011 Santa Fe?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,370

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• The 2012 Kia's are grounded and the 2012 Sante Fe's are not because of 2 reasons... They are protecting potential transmission issues in their first build cycle by adding a more enhanced chip. TRANSMISSION ISSUES are a rumour like the pedals in a Toyota. Its a simple computer Chip problem. Also, 2012 not grounded yet because late 2010 Hyundai was contemplating going back to a 7 passenger sante fe
    The 2012 Kia's are grounded and the 2012 Sante Fe's are not because of 2 reasons... They are protecting potential transmission issues in their first build cycle by adding a more enhanced chip. TRANSMISSION ISSUES are a rumour like the pedals in a Toyota. Its a simple computer Chip problem. Also, 2012 not grounded yet because late 2010 Hyundai was contemplating going back to a 7 passenger sante fe

What do you mean by "Grounded" hyundaisales?
  • mikea11414mikea11414 Posts: 33
    I was wondering the same thing...what does grounded mean?....BTW, I have a 2011 SF with 4,000 miles on it and so far , so good with the tranny.
  • chazpazchazpaz Posts: 6
    If you followed the Sante Fe Transmission Thread, you would see that the issues with the 2010-2011 are beyond the rumor stage. After several computer updates and even tranny replacements, many of us are still experiencing the rough shifts and mechanical SLAMS
  • higgledyhiggledy Posts: 28
    Does the Santa Fe share the same chassis and drivetrain with the Kia Sorrento?
    I believe they are shared. Starting for the 2012 models the Santa Fe is being built on the same line at Kia's new state of the art plant in Georgia (or one of those states down south).
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    My 2011 Santa Fe was built in the Georgia Plant. Bought it in January. So far, so good.
  • 1)
    Rear air vents throw cold air after complete engine warm up and 20 minutes of city/highway driving

2)
    Residue leaks down the doors from the outside mirrors and windows

3)
    Acceleration is spiky. One has to be very, very gentle with the gas pedal while accelerating.

4)
    Paint gets very easily damaged from minor incidents

5)
    28mpg @ 55mph
    19mpg @ 75mph (single drive, no load, straight highway driving, mild warm temps, right tire pressure, blah blah)

SUV jumps to 6th gear at 45mph (rides OK) and so it covers from 45+ mph on same gear.
    There is a clear need to solve this mpg problem. Perhaps, need 7th gear.

6)
    Suspension is very bouncy and SUV rocks/rolls on slow turns on mild bumps

7)
    Front and rear water wiper jets hardly spray/cover the windshield (ya, there is enough water)

8)
    Front passenger seat does not fold forward or fully backwards

9)
    rear seats cannot be pushed forward / backwards

10)
    Average MPH indicator was developed by a kid and was never tested.
    It shows 25mph for me after resetting it and driving 500miles on straight highway

11)
    MPG indicator is "average MPG" indicator. No real-time mpg indication available

12)
    RPM indicator fluctuates a bit sometimes for no apparent reason

13)
    Price of this SUV is less but close to Honda and Toyota. Makes more sense to go with Honda/Toyota.

Hope this helps folks.
  • What , No Tranny issues ???
    Consider yourself fortunate.
  • Are the interior measurements for things like floor mats the same in the 2012 Santa Fe as they are in the 2011? I ask because most suppliers don't have 2012 stuff....
    It's about time if it is. I bought a 2011 Sorento over the Santa Fe because I felt it was much sharper looking. I figured that Hyundai was going to redesign the Santa Fe at least by the 2012 model year. It will be a hot seller I believe.