Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Touring Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• misterbillmisterbill Posts: 60
    edited May 2010
    Improved from what? Last year's model or your misguided perception likely based on 10+ year old information from when Hyundai's were crappy?
  • crowheartcrowheart Posts: 36
    I am not sure your answer is quite warranted mrbill.
    If you don't have anything constructive to add to my post, why do you reply with a rude sarcastic answer? Why bother, thanks anyway and have a good day....
  • misterbillmisterbill Posts: 60
    Give me a break. You didn't ask "how is the quality", you asked "has the reliability and overall quality really improved". It certainly sounded to me like you needed to be convinced that Hyundai's are not unreliable, crappy cars, which I know was already outdated information when I bought my Elantra GT in 2001.

If you don't like my reply, then explain why I was wrong in interpreting your question. And explain what you're looking for them to have improved from.
    edited May 2010
    Unfortunately this thread has morphed into something distant from my original post. I hope someone else can shed some light on the Hyundai Elantra Touring for me. Thanks....
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    The reliability of Hyundai's have improved greatly from their early years and overall quality as well and while trade in value may still be lower than other makes overall their product stands up well against their competitors. My experience with that model is based on the automatic, found it to be sluggish and didn't care to see that the 2010 has 15" tires instead of the 16" tires which may account for the harsher ride some have complained about. Overall the vehicle does have a lot to offer so I wouldn't worry about the build quality, best advice would be to take it on a test drive and then see for yourself if it will meet your needs.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    edited May 2010
    2010 ET GLS with PP #2 and Bluetooth: actually, the harsher ride comes with the larger tire, not smaller. The 15 inch ride with steel wheels is better than the 17 inch with alloy. Moreover, please ensure that the dealer takes the tire pressure down to 32 when you test drive it. They ship the car at 60 psi to keep flat spots from developing on the tires during transit.
    I hope Consumer Reports is correct on the reliability score. The car is the i-30 afterall, and has won awards all over the world. Also, make sure you are talking about Preferred Package #2, not #1. Another gaff from dealers who can't tell that when you are asking for a Preferred Package, it is the one THAT COMES WITH SOMETHING EXTRA!! Don't make that same mistake. If you want radio buttons on the wheel, fog lights, roof rails, upgraded cloth, lighted vanity mirrors, etc.....make sure you are getting PP #2.
    I think the car is an excellent car; again, I only hope CR is correct in their ratings. They love it, and so far, so do I.
    Thanks for the help! So you are saying the ride is harsh? I will take it for a test drive soon. I do occasionally drive dirt/gravel roads, that is why I am concerned about the ride. I think if the quality stays consistent Hyundai's resale value will eventually improve. I can live with sluggish as long as I can merge onto the Highway safely and keep up with traffic as I need to. I really like the 10/100,000 mile warranty. In reality all cars should not have major mechanical failures prior to that time period if they are made reasonably well. I had 0 problems with my Subaru's prior to 12 years and well over 100,000 miles...
    Your reply has been very helpful. Thank you....
    One more thing, what does Preferred Package # 1 come with? LOL
    he, he, he......NOTHING. It simply indicates that you DON'T want any extras added on. In fact, it doesn't even appear in the HET brochure. Imagine my suprise when my dealer tells me that he has "found my car", only to drive up with it and it not have fog lights, roof rails, radio buttons on steering wheel...................
    And all he could say was, " you asked for the Preferred Package!!"
    Now why would anyone ask for something that is standard with the car. What an idiot. I guess one could make the argument that saying preferred package indicated that I wanted a stripped down ET!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Yes, I always go out of my way to say what I want on my car by ordering something that costs $0 in your cost sheet. Get a clue dealers!!!!!!!!!!!
    Possibly he thought he could rip you off and charge you more for the stripped down GLS. I had a dealer today quoting higher prices for the HET GLS with the PP that was hail damaged (we had a major hail storm last month). The salesman acted like they were giving me a discount for the dimpled roof. The damn car was more expensive then the quote I just got on an undamaged one with the same options from a different dealer. Buyer Beware....
    that's one thing that makes it tough to buy a Hyundai. Hyundai does not allow buyers to order the car the way they want. You have to go out and find your car. In my case, I only wanted an GLS, White with Black interior, with PP#2 and Bluetooth. I flat out would not accept anything else. We found one 5 hours away and my buying service found a dealer willing to trade with that dealer AND drive the 10 hours to deliver my car to me. I now have exaclty what I wanted.
    edited May 2010
    I just received an OTD quote for the above car. The quote was 17,262.77. I find this almost impossible to believe. I have received 3 other OTD quotes for the same car and they are as follows,
    18,409.65 OTD
    17,825.37 OTD
    17,555.00 OTD for a hail damaged car(hail storm here last month-other cars are clean).
    Does the 17,262.77 quote seem to good to be true? I am afraid that when we sit down to negotiate they will be pulling all kinds of tricks out of their hat.
    I live in the Chicago Metro area, any insight on this matter would be helpful.

Thanks again....
    edited May 2010
    I payed $18,200 out the door for my ET GLS Auto with PP#2, Bluetooth, a cargo liner (tray) and floor mats. I don't think it was a great price, but it was what my buying service pre-negotiated. I later was offered a ET SE for the exact same price out the door. The dealer was desperate to move some cars. I agree; I don't know how some dealers are giving away their end of year holdback and then some. Your prices may not include freight, tax, tags, title, and paper processing fee. Make sure it does before venturing into the dealership.
    We bought the 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS with the popular package today.
    I thought we got a great price of 17,449.78 OTD. I am very happy about the deal and the car. I love the room and the safety features.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    To answer several questions above, I have owned an '02 GLS, '05 GT, and now a'10 HET SE with the 5spd. The first two were great cars, virtually trouble free. The ride of the '05 GT (with the oversize Tiburon GT rear stabilizer added. :) ) was an awsome little car. I would never call an Elantra "fast" but they can certainly be nimble and entertaining.

The SE with the larger wheels and low profile tires does ride a bit stiff. But the handling is amazing for "a little station wagon". One complaint I do have is the Kumho radials. Handle? You betcha. Road noise? oh yeah. those suckers are noisy.

Having owned both, the auto is adequate for acceleration, but not great. The 5spd ratios are great, and also gives a numerically higher final drive ratio. Much zippier. The shifter is first rate. Only issue here is that going into 1st above 10mph is stiff. That is also something you are not likely to do very often as the 2.0L pulls strong in 2nd from 10-15mph. Here again, not "fast", but pretty darn quick.

The "Black Pearl" is in the shop tonight and will be checked over in the morning by my local dealers "Platinum" technician. I have known the guy for years and he does know Hyundai. The issue is no throttle between idle and 2200rpm. When I dropped it off this evening the service manager wanted me to ride with a tech and "see if we can duplicate the problem". I told him no ride was needed, just trot out one of the techies and I will show him. The guy was skeptical until I started the car, motioned for him to have a seat in the drivers seat, and bring the engine up to 1500rpm. Try as he might, couldn't do it. Either 700rpm, or 2200rpm. Nothing in between. The guy tried a few things to check it out, then admitted he had never seen one do that. No check engine light, runs great, just no throttle coming off idle. First guess is a defective TPS, but they won't know until in the morning when they can put it on the computer and monitor what the computer is doing.

In the meantime, they brought around a brand new Elantra Sedan, handed me the keys, and said they would give me a call tomorrow. I'll let you know what they find.

BTW, the throttle on the loaner works perfect.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Well, the factory rep joined with the guys at the dealer, and after spending some time with Pearl, a couple of other 5spds, and several automatics, the factory guy is turning it over to the engineering guys. None of the auto's have the dead spot in the throttle, but all of the manuals do. The computer sees the TPS changing, and everything seems to be working, but the computer is ignoring the first 15% or so of the throttle movement. It appears to be a bug in the software, and the service manager is going to work with the factory rep and see if a fix can be worked into the code. So, sum of all is that it isn't broken, but it isn't right, either.
  • markmark69markmark69 Posts: 6
    edited June 2010
    Just purchased a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE w/automatic, mats, tray liner and iPod cable
    OTD: $18.1k
    Sales price was around $17.1k
    This is in central Va.
    I used a buying service zag dot com so the price was pre-negotiated. I just walked in and signed the papers (already had financing in place).
    This is probably the easiest buying experienced I have had.
    edited June 2010
    That is a sweet deal! Does the SE have the sunroof? I got the auto GLS with popular pkg OTD for 17.4 For a bit more you got the wheels and the sunroof. I beleive our taxes are a bit higher than yours. 8% here....
  • markmark69markmark69 Posts: 6
    edited June 2010
    Yes it has the sunroof, roof rails, 17in wheels, heated seats, etc. There were no packages available.

I've been very pleased with the car so far. The cargo capacity is surprising for the size of the car.