Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I tried it with the power steering thing too. It's like a whining noise when I turn it sometimes at low speeds or stopped. BUT AGAIN, they said it's normal. This from a dealership that left my damn car sit from 9am-5pm and then called me and told me they couldn't get to it and would NOT pay for a rental. And that I could either come and get it and return the next day (without complimentary transportation to work) or leave it overnight and pay out of my pocket for a rental car. What customer service!
  • It´s not a whining noise,it´s like a !clunk!,they said it´s because the steering has to much play between the rack and pinion,some dealers are trying to reduce that play giving the steering less tolerance,but as I spoke yesterday with my service mgr. he said to me a new power steering it´s on it´s way,and customers complaining about the noise will have it.
    But what happened with ALL the TSB,are they done?
  • azenoneazenone Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,
    I bought my first car, a used 95 Highline Sedan In March, and I have a couple of questions for anyone who may be able to help me. First thing I would like to know is do all Neons seem to have really bad squeaking brakes? Also Can I take my Neon to a Dailmer/Chrysler dealer to have the head gasket repaiered, or do I have to take it to the dealer I bought it from? And finally and this is the strangest thing, has anyone ever heard of the Neon having a trunk that leaks? Whenever it rains the spare tire compartment fills(not completely) with water. It even got into the back seat floorboards the last time!! i had standing water in my car! The dealership where i bought it said that there was nothing he could do about it! A friend of mine suggested that it may have been in an accident from the previous owner, but i checked carfax.com and it had a clean title. Should it be the dealers responsibility to fix this or am i stuck with it? Any help on any of these problems is appreciated!
    The seals around the outside of the trunk are broken or messed up (rubber). It needs to be replaced, and yes the dealer IS responsible for fixing it!
  • azenoneazenone Posts: 2
    I also noticed, that water seems to run down the gray foam cushion on the inside of the trunk where the tail lights are mounted, does that mean anything?
  • ochoaochoa Posts: 9
    I don't know guys but aim from Mexico and i have a 2000 neon. Is a hit every one have a neon or wants to get one.
    in Mexico it have allot of short streets and a car that can get so much response to the turns like neon do it i think.
    the stylish of the car are remarkable and the stereo sound very god i don't think that the noise are bad i think like in the racing cars every one wants some experience to.and not to think that you drive a limacine.
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    It's probably not leaking around the trunk seal but around the tailight gaskets. I believe there is a TSB on this, check www.neons.org on their TSB page. Anyone can fix the headgasket, DC may pay all but $100 of the cost if you call the customer service number and tell thenm the story, (again look on www.neons.org to come up with the best story). I would go to the best DC service center around weather you bought the car there or somewhere else. The squealing brakes is a TSB also but I believe they will only pay to replace pads if you are with in the orginal factory warrenty (not the case on a 95), you could fix them yourself (or any brake shop could) during your next brake job with $1 worth of anti sqeal applied correctly. My mom's 99 VW is way worse with squealing brakes even before Dodge fixed mine at 15000 miles. It really didn't bother me but I figured what the hell, free pads. The head gasket must actually need to be replaced, contrary to popular belief not all head gaskets on the 95-99's fail, many are still giong strong on the originals with well over 100K. Many times a leaking valve cover gasket or PVC valve can be mistaken for a head gasket leak. Unlike the head gasket that failed on my 90 Beretta with Quad 4 motor that seized the motor, bending a connecting rod and 4 valves, requiring a $4500 new (not rebuilt) motor, the neon headgasket leak is not catastrophic and maninly results in an oil leak down the side of the motor. Anyone that thinks DC's customer service is bad should try Bremerton WA's chevy dealer, they tried to get me to trade that chevy in for $2000 telling me it was out of warrenty. I went home and checked the records and it had a 3 year 50000 mile warrenty, they said 3/30000. Then 2 days later I got a notice direct from chevy saying they haedgaskets were a common problem and they extended the warrenty to 75K and no $100 deductable. Needless to say I took it 20miles to the next dealer and 1.5 months later (no loaner of course) it was finally done. That Chevy GTZ cost $3000 more in 1990 then my neon did in 98 and the neon funner to drive. Good luck on your neon, Is it a sport model? if so you really have the equal of a 99 RT model, after 95 the sport model was more of a trim line then a performance line, just something to be aware of.
  • Hi I am 22 year old in college college. I am about to purchase a 1997 Plymount Neon highline. It is automatic and after reading everyone's comments, I am so skeptical. This whole head gasket problem, I don't understand at all. Can someone please explain to me in lay man terms?(I don't know anything about cars). Also is there anyway I can fix the problem before it arises e.g ask my dealer if the head gasket has been replaced before or have him check and put the better model in it. I know there are some problem-free ones being manufactured. Which ones are they and how can you tell them apart?. Also when I test drove the car, the engine was making a little noise. It did not sound smooth as other cars, is this normal with neons or should I be worried from now?. I am not going to be driving the car much. I just need something to get me to and from work and school. no major travelling or anything. but on the other hand, my job is very important and I need a reliable car to drive around especially if I am paying all that money for it. I don't want a car that would spend 10months out of 12 in the auto shop. I went to carfax and checked the vin# on the car. the history was good. just one owner and no major problems reported. I was also wondering, although my dealer said the car has been inspected, should I take it to the auto shop and have them re-inspect it to my satifaction? I know there are a lot of questions but I would appreciate it if someone can please help. thanks a lot.
  • Yes re-inspect the car bumper to bumper!
  • ancuancu Posts: 2
    I have the same ckicking noise on my 2000 Neon. Did you solve your problem? Was it wheel covers or break pads? Did copperhead1 ever explain why he thought it was break pads?
  • mark194mark194 Posts: 15
    This whole gasket thing has been blown out of proportion. What happens is a little oil leak occurs by a head bolt at the rear of the engine on the drivers side. At most you will notice a small puddle of oil on the ground after driving it. If it isn't fixed the engine will not self destruct. If it does start leaking just take it to a respected DC dealer and it should be fixed for next to nothing. My daughter owned a 97 highliner and traded it in for a 2000 ES Neon with all the whisles and bells. She still liked her 97. Good luck
  • Hi,could you expain me your problem? maybe I can help you.
    Thank you.
    I test drove a 2001 Plymouth Neon LX on Saturday. The engine and wind noise have been greatly reduced, and they added a 3rd shoulder belt for the middle-rear occupant. But, no 4-speed automatic yet. They did, however, add side air bags.

Also, got into my friend's sister's 2000 Neon too. And it does NOT vibrate like his 2000 Neon ES does. So I guess it's back to the dealer again.
    You know you want it vocus. Come on, join me on the dark side, we will rule the univerise together. Hey wait a minute, there isn't a such thing as 2001 Plymouth, is there? I thought they were done, if plymouth is still secretely making cars, put me down for a Cuda and a roadrunner.
    Yes, they are still making cars. I know for a fact 2001 is the last year for Plymouth to make the Neon. I don't know about the rest of the line, but the 2001 Neon is out now.

Anyway, we got a recall on the PCV valve yesterday in the mail. I don't know exactly what it said. Something to the affect that in cold weather, the valve will freeze or something. I do know the effect would be the gas pedal sticking a little. I have that now, so maybe that's what the problem is. And I just took the damn car to the dealer about 1.5 weeks ago and they said they couldn't fix it then. Thing is, I got the recall yesterday and it went to my old address first. So they probably sent it out right about 1.5 weeks ago. If so, I am going to get the BBB involved because they basically refused to fix my car.
  • A 4-speed is on it´s way,try another dealer about the vibration,tell them about the TSB!
    Plymouth(Neon),will still be available for one more year.
    I have seen 3 2001 Neons already (1 Dodge, 2 Plymouth) and none have had a 4-speed. Maybe it will be a running change or something. I hope so. Anyway, I am going to take the car to a different dealer next week and have them fix all the TSBs and recalls, plus anything else they find. It just sucks that Dodge won't give a loaner if the car is in the shop overnight. I thought that was a standard-fare thing among all car companies.
    I don't believe it is any company's policy of giving out loaner cars. My dodge dealer here gives them if you bought the car there, the Mazda dealer here does the same. Again only if you purchased the car from them. So you could give your above arguement about any make of car not just Dodge. The funniest thing I saw was when my stepdad bought a new chevy and got minor bodywork done at the dealer 1 month later and got his old trade in as a loaner (75 caddy eldorado). There is no company policies on loaner cars, it is left up to the dealer and I believe no dealer is going to bend over backwards for you if you bought it somewhere else.
  • Just make sure they fix ALL the TSB and RECALLS!
    About the 4-speed it´s coming,when that I don´t know for sure,but it will be available for 2001.
    BTW most 2000 neons have a electronic lock-up´torque converter,it really feels different from a normal 3-speed tranny.
    If your dealer doesn´t give you a loaner,try Chrysler give them a call,let them know the problems you still have,AND REQUEST! a service rep. to meet you at the dealer.
    When you will meet him insist on the POOR SERVICE,the inconveniences you had,and ASK HIM FOR A LOANER,for sure he will give you one try it!.

Good luck!
  • ancuancu Posts: 2
    I had a grinding/clicking sound that I hear
    with the windows open. Its repetitive and
    increases in frequency with speed.

The sound is gone when the hub caps are removed!!
    I can't figure out why the hub caps cause that
    noise since they were on quite tight....