Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• b4scottyb4scotty Posts: 2
    Some things I've noticed since driving my new 2000 ES for that last 3 days...

DISLIKES:
    1. I don't like how, when you are about 10 yards away from the side of the car, you can see the naked metal stripping underneath the car - it looks unfinished.
    2. I don't like how the passanger side windshield wiper doesn't seem to go all the way down. It's distracting.
    3. The trunk interior seems REALLY cheap.
    4. I don't like how you have to put a lot of force into pushing the turn signal up or down.

1. The color of the lights glowing inside the car at night - very cool... turquoise and blood red.
    2. Windshield wipers are very fast.
    3. very comfortable armrests for 5-speed shifting.
    4. even though the 4-disc cd changer is down too far, it's cool that all your actions occur right on the stereo interface.
    5. the overall looks of the car is unique.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE SIMILAR LIKES/DISLIKES?
  • stephie2stephie2 Posts: 2
    I purchased a 1997 Dodge Neon with 5000 miles on it.After i have it for 2 wks. i had to be put in the shop 4 times for rewplacement of oxygen sensors.It would go through them in 15 min.!! Also, it has an electrical prob. that no dealership in town can find,but it is showing up on the computers(it shocks the piss out of you when you get out of the car and when you put on the brake the left turn signal comes on)Also mine had the same prob. with the leak in the trunk. and finally it blew a head gasket at 25,000 mile and then it blew again a week later. i have had this car foe a very aggervating long 22 months and it has been in the shop 17 times!!
  • theliztheliz Posts: 26
    It sounds like you have a lemon for sure. There are "full disclosure" laws--the previous owner was legally obligated to inform you of any existing problems. BTW, the 2000 Neons are not the same as previous Neons.
  • edswordsedswords Posts: 47
    Is this board for owners of the prior model (95-99) to lodge complaints, or is it for the 2000 Neon?

I owned a 95 Doge Neon and drove it 95,000 miles. The only time it went back to the dealer was to replace the exhaust donut. The car ran so good that I traded up for the 2000 Neon. I have put 9,500 trouble free miles on my new Neon. I got a base Neon with a 5 speed and AC. My dealer added cruise control for 250 dollars.

Dislikes:
    - The lack of 15 alum wheels option for base model
    - The stock Goodyear tires suck
    - My base model lacks remote trunk release
    - Rear end styling (the brake lights dont look right!)
    - No 4 speed automatic transmission

- The excelleration with the 5 speed is excellent
    - The interior dash layout has 2 cup holders, a shelf for my sunglasses, and lots of storage
    - Lots of room. The car seems as big inside as the much higher priced Ford contour.
    - The base am/fm cassette sounds pretty good.
    - The car looks great from the front and side.
    - The 1% financing is awesome. I have already paid down a substantial amount of the principle in 8 months.

So far so good.
  • Hey I got a question about the now famous Head Gasket issue. MY old 95 neon had the head replaced at 45,000 miles but the only way i knew i needed a new one is when the dude at the shop lifted the car and saw that it was leaking.
    My 98 R/T has 33,000 miles on it and i just want to be sure i dont need a new head. Is there a way i can tell by driving or listening that i need a new head gasket? Or do i just have to take it in and let someone look at it???
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    This is stolen from www.neons.org under the huge FAQ section.

"The Neon has a reputation for headgasket failure, and it has affected many Neon owners. Since the blocks are identical, both the SOHC and the DOHC are susceptible. Chrysler revised the original gasket twice to address this issue, and finally released an all-new part. The new MLS (multi-layered steel) gasket supersedes the old part under the same p/n. The new gasket went into production SOHCs in September of 1998 (part of the '99 m/y), with the DOHC following shortly after that, probably before November of '98. TSB 09-05-98, which describes the revised part, was issued on November 06, 1998. This means that the new piece was available at parts counters around that time. (Thanks to Greg Smith for this additional information.)
    Nearly all failures occur in the driver's side rear of the engine block, where an oil passage crosses between head and block within 1/4" of the outside edge. The most common symptom is an oil leak at the block joint in the vicinity of the brake fluid reservoir. Other, less common symptoms of headgasket failure include: water in the oil (indicated by foam on the dipstick or drain pan), oil in the coolant overflow reservoir, and burning of coolant (continual steam or light grey soot in exhaust pipe). However, most Neon headgasket failures do not cause mixing of oil and coolant.

Two items should be kept in mind on this subject. First, with more than a million Neons on the road, even a large number of failures is a small percentage of the unaffected cars. Second, this problem is common among most cars with aluminum heads, not just Neons. This kind of head design saves weight, and is typical on modern cars. However, aluminum heads are sensitive to overheating and may crack or warp, which leads to gasket failure.

Headgasket failure is enough of a problem, however, that Chrysler has made special provisions for headgasket repairs beyond the normal warranty period. While dealers probably won't volunteer to fix a car that has exceeded its warranty, many Neon owners have found that a call to the Customer One phone number may help. Depending on the age of the car, Chrysler may pay a portion of the replacement cost; in many instances, repairs have been made just as if warranty coverage existed. Also, owners who have paid out-of-pocket to have the headgasket replaced may be reimbursed under this extension. In many cases, full coverage of headgasket failure has been extended to five years or 100,000 miles."
  • stephie2stephie2 Posts: 2
    I purchased my neon form a Dodge/Chrysler dealership.They knew of a few problems w/ the car but didn't tell me about.I have written to Chrysler about all the probs.I have had w/ my car,they are supposed to be investigating it,but it has been about 2 months.I told them all I wanted is for them to take their lemon back and give me every $$ I put into this lemon toward the purchase of another dodge/chrysler product.That they need to stand behind their product.But Chrysler needs get their butt in gear cause my warranty ends the end of this month!!I also have to put it back in the shop again because the steering wheel is popping when you go to stop. Any suggestions on getting Chrysler to back up their product?
  • theliztheliz Posts: 26
    Maybe you should talk to a lawyer? I really hope you get DC to do the right thing without too much of a fight. Good luck and don't give up. Let us know how it goes.
  • gigsgigs Posts: 11
    I'm a first time buyer from Ontario Canada. I recently went to Toronto because I saw a good deal 18 288 purchase price for a loaded 2000 Neon LX. I wanted the 0% financing for 48 mths or .8% for 60. When I said this they added like $1500 to the price. What I want to know is should I be able to tell them to screw off with that extra charge and let me finance it for the cash purchase price or is that not an option? I also wanted to know what the invoice plrice of an automatic LX loaded with everything sunroof etc. is with and without the abs option. Maybe some of you Canadian purchasers can let me know what kind of price you got on your 2k lx neons or at least what kind of price I should be able to get one at right now. I heard 3% over inoice is ok but can I still do better and still get the good financing with the price? Thanks really need the help. ps Edwords your not by chance Ed who goes to Ryerson are you?
  • armus13armus13 Posts: 1
    Need help, cuz the mechanics are stymied.

Here's my story. Got a 95 sport sedan, last yr the a/c blew out. 13 months later (of course, 12 mos warranty on parts!) it went again! Had it replaced again. Since the replacement, the engine is running rough when just 'cruising', say on the freeway. It accelerates fine. The feeling is like a drive belt letting go and grabbing, or like an alignment problem (which I already know it's not). At the shop, they scope it, can't find anything, they drive it, same thing - they just don't know my car like I do! :)

Quite a while ago, somebody posted a similar problem, somebody else posted a possible solution, and for the life of me I can't find those two posts! If those folks are around, or if anybody has any ideas please help! Thx!

BTW:
    1) The shocks are real. Never had that problem in any other car. Maybe the power locks shorting? My locks don't 'snap' like they used to and the front psgr side is out of order altogether!

2) No head gasket problem (yet!), and 160K km. :)

3) Love the car, if I can get this shaking thing fixed I'll keep it for another 160K!
    ok I just started working for a car rental company and the shocks happen with ANY DAMN TYPE OF CAR. It largely depends on your shoes (I think) I wear dress shoes dress paints etc. Any time I get out of any make and model of car I get shocked about 75 percent of the time probably. We actually have a 98 neon and its the one car I actually don't really recall getting shocked on. weird but true
  • dc_ownerdc_owner Posts: 1
    In response to you question, The purchase price most likely had the $1500 rebate on it. So if you wanted the 0% financing instead they would have to add the rebate back on. Basically you have to choose between the rebate or the special financing.

3% over invoice is a good deal but again unlike our American counterparts, we Canadians don't have access to Canadian invoice pricing, so we would have to believe the dealer when he/she says its 3% over invoice. I'm here in Calgary and Varsity Chrysler has a website up that will sell you a Chrysler Neon for 2% over invoice and you can still get either the rebate or the financing rate. The site is www.chrysler4less.com . They can quote you a price within the hour, and will sell to anyone across Canada.

hopes this helps
    I'm glad somebody finally responded to my plea for help. ;-) I really appreciate it dc and I'll definately check that out
  • tbsrtbsr Posts: 2
    I live in remote Alaska and am having a 2000 Neon flown into my town (3 miles of road, all gravel!) Could anyone recommend a place to order seat covers that fit the 2000 model? I also need a car cover to protect from dust. Can't afford any custom covers, just something basic to help protect vehicle.
    Well I just finished shopping for my first car (finally). Most of the cars I tried were econ cars and I just felt like giving all my opinions. First I didn't bother trying a focus cause its new to the market and I'm not a real big on its styling. The zx3 was growing on me looks wise but a two door hatchback sucks for friends getting in and out.

Didn't bother checking any volkswagens two much money not enough car.

And kia and daewoo nuff said.

The Elantra -Cons- Incredibly noisy. everybody seems to cut up the Neon in this category but the elantra was way worse. The seatbelt chime is annoying as hell and the top model in canada ve I think has barely anything accept power win and doors and cruise yikes. The materials in it also felt pretty cheap and the cruise control on a lever instead of on the steering wheel was cheap looking and a pain to use.
    -Pros- Engine has good power 140 hp and the exterior styling is very sharp. side note (If a tibiron had been cheaper it would be a sweet car.)

Sentra- cons- small interior and trunk. On the xe I tested I could feel every bump. It may handle well but your butt is going to be in pain after a long trip. Stereo wasn't that great either. Exterior styling decent but bland compared to the competition.
    pros- well engineered fairly quiet engine, interior was nice and usefull handling uh guess that's it.

Protege- cons- more expensive then a neon, interior even in the top model felt cheap and seemed bare and overall pretty ugly. Not as ruff as the sentra but the bumps could definitely be felt. I believe the cruise control like the elantra was badly placed. (protege owners is it on a lever? I can't remember for sure)
    Pros- Decent engine, it has a 4 speed auto, Nice exterior simple yet sleek and eye catching, something that will still look decent after a few years. Handles very well, good visibility, fairly comfy to ride.

Finally what I chose Neon
    Cons- trunk a bit too high hard to see out the back of the car. Lower it a bit at least? please? thus blind spots. 3 speed auto sucked when trying to accelerate but the engine was not yet broken which really didn't help either. Only power windows in the front and roll down
    windows in the back? a bit of wind noise but that's why we listen to music when we drive right? a little bit of body roll but still handles great.
    Pros- stereo with 4 disc player inside the car. by far the best factory stereo out of all these cars great bass, 6 speakers and for me that's important. handles great. still pretty peppy despite the 3 speed. cool colours I want silver or salsa red. Features are plentiful and fairly inexpensive to add compared to competition. alloy 15inch rims look sweeeeet!!! The interior feels the most luxurious and roomy out of the bunch. Best suspension finally an econ car that didn't let me feel every bump. Most of all this car looks sweet. Best looking of the econ's in my opinion.

Well I know this was long but hopefully it helps someone with there decision making.

Peace
  • 71charger71charger Posts: 116
    I just did the 3000 mile oil change on my 2000
    myself. I work shift work and it's too much
    bother to try and work in a trip to the dealer
    so I skipped the free oil change. On the filter
    I took off were the words "FACTORY INSTALLED".
    So if anyone is putting off that first oil change
    for too long and something does go wrong there's
    a smoking gun hanging on your engine to give DC
    room to weasel out of paying. I have a co-worker
    who is at 9000 miles on her Camry and hasn't yet
    changed the oil. I keep telling her, but she says
    she'll get to it someday.
  • DDpianomanDDpianoman Posts: 2
    Nice car, very comfortable, and I would reccommend it to anyone looking for an econ car in this price range...I have been doing a lot of driving with it and had it on several long trips already.I bought it in october 99 (there wasn't many out yet then and it really turned heads, especially with the Salsa Red I bought) The fit and finish on the car is really excellent and a body guy I met one day at lunchtime (after I waxed it) told me he thought it may be one of the best factory paint jobs he had ever seen!...So far the only thing I had go wrong on it has been a really noisey power steering pump (which they drained the fluid and replaced, letting some air out and fixed the problem)a fog light has burnt out, and my trunk lid latch has become loose, allowing a loud rattle over bumps and rough roads..I will take it in the fix those problems shortly. Just thought I'd post a review from a happy owner..
    Just got a got my new silver neon. Looks sweet. What I wanted to know is how I should break it in? Mines the three speed auto (i know yuk. If you guys have any tips let me know.
  • shadetree1shadetree1 Posts: 1
    bought new '97 Neon in August 1997. Love it! One thing I have noticed over the years, some plastic trim at the door seems to have warped a bit from the Texas heat. Otherwise runs like a champ and fits my family of four.
    Like others, I shopped for a six weeks looking at comparable cars at all American manufacturers. Mine's a SOHC, 4dr highline. Nice car.
  • b4scottyb4scotty Posts: 2
    I've got a 2000 neon, and am considering having a sunroof installed... i know the dealership contracts it out. Does anyone have any suggestions, or dos/dont's, or any opinions on this issue? ...thanks