Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Look at the car and if the back door letters are "SE" and not "ES", then it's an SE. And, the SE is the lowest trim level of Neon anyway. Who cares if it's an ES and has more equipment in it.
  • buoyantbuoyant Posts: 128
    I like the phrasing of Lee's first statement. Almost sounds like he got approached by a street vendor peddling used late-model Neons.

"Hey you, come here. Want to buy a Neon?"

Out of curiosity, Lee, was the selling party a dealer? If not, you might want to steer clear of that particular car. If you bought it, that would make you the 3rd owner of a 1 year old car - kind of a frightening proposition.

Rental cars may have low miles, but they haven't been babied. Every time I feel myself getting tempted by one of those newspaper ads featuring 2001 Neons starting at $8995, I recall how I drove my last company car and quickly flip the page.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    It seems like everyone always "dogs" their company and rental cars. I wonder why?
  • I just got a brand new black 2001 neon for graduation. I think its a great car. I have already put 5,000 miles on it in 4 months and I have had no problems with it. It is so much fun to drive. I feel it is a great car for any 18 year old, however I do not think it would be a good choice for anyone with a family.

Also, If you really want to check out the vin number go to carfax.com they will tell you what kind of car it is, the trim level, who has owned it and if it has had any major repairs or accedents
  • Just an update for anyone who may be considering the purchase of a used Neon. I'm about to get my second oil change, which puts the car at about 72,000 miles and it simply purrs. I love it. I had a problem with an on again/off again engine code 32 (EGR System), but that seems to be quite common and not at all serious (according to folks on neons.org who sometimes block it off entirely), and it seems to have gone away (for good?) by simply using premium gasoline. Don't ask me why, but it's been off for 3,000 miles now. Also, I still don't know if it has the old or new head gasket, but it isn't giving me any trouble and I'm not worried about it. Anyway, if people are considering a used Neon and worried by some of the horror stories around, I'm at least one happy pre-owned Neon owner.

By the way--what's up with this whole "pre-owned" instead of "used" car thing? Wouldn't a pre-owned car be "new" car? I mean, you don't watch previews of a movie after it's already left the theaters, right? Pre-game warmups after the final buzzer? I know it's supposed to be short for "previously," but it seems to be improper use of a prefix for smarmy sales people who are afraid to call it what it is--a used car. It just bothers me. I'll shut up now.
    It's good to hear that you are enjoying your post-original owner vehicle.
  • I'm at 21 months and 25K miles with no problems. I think I may have lost it to my wife though. I'm sure I'll get it back in four to six years when we get another new car. At least that's how the cycle usually goes.
    Was your Neon a 2000 or 2001?

Just curious...
  • Purchased in February of that year.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    aka trunk handles. Mainly I frequent the Protege forum but am in full agreement about trunk handles. I had no choice since it came w/the ES pkg. I thought seriously about the body shop route but w/the cost of bodywork, repaint etc. to remove it I figured it wasn't worth the cost. If NOT getting it was optional I'd have gladly paid not to have it! There's only one other guy in "my" forum who feels as I do.
    Hey vocus. I trust you're enjoying your new ride.
    Beyond the first post regarding your decision I think all the rest should have been to you via e-mail. JMO.
  • My 01 has worked well with the kids -- I looked at the Focus ZX3 and as soon as my 6 year old daughter had to squeeze behind the front seat I knew that was not the car for us. I have hauled my eldest son who is 15 and his friends around and have never had anyone say "where's your mom's van J?"

As far as spoilers go, I like the way mine looks. I know it is completely useless, but you can't take a $12,800 car too seriously.

I did consider a Protege, my sister had bought one earlier in the summer and I really like the way the car looks. I just recently drove her's when I "volunteered" to take it and get the oil changed for her -- the seats are way to firm. We looked at the Mazda minivan and that is one of the main reasons we went with the Ford -- my wife liked the zoom-zoom of the Mazda but hated the seats.
  • I went to register the Neon on one of the auto parts websites and it asked if the engine code was a Y or a C. I have both in my VIN. Which digit indicated the engine. I thought there was only one in 2000. Maybe one is federal and the other California, I don't know. Anyone with a service manual that can check for me?
  • It is called a pre-owned vehicle and not used because the pre is short for previously.

Yes, I know my answer is a serious answer to a not so serious post.
  • dayedaye Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying this 1999 Plymouth Neon. There's a lot of reasons
    not to buy a Neon, but with all the constraints, this is the car I am
    seriously considering.

Anyway, nothing wrong was found in the $40 Goodyear buyer's check. The
    guy at the garage mentioned that the dealer has detailed the engine, so
    they wouldn't be able to tell whether there had been anything wrong (ie
    gasget) in the past. He said the tire pressure was 'funny', because they
    are 'perfectly' right. The dealer must be an extremly careful man. The
    car runs good in 3 speed automatics trans (very smooth). However, when I
    accelorate it really hard (which means push the padel to the end for a good 5
    seconds from 60mph) on the highway, my wife (driving another car behind)
    noticed a light 'gray' smoke came out of the exhaustion pipe. At more
    than 60mph, the smoke was gone in a second, can did not came out again.
    After a half hour drive, the pipe is dry and there's no residuals.

Could this be a 'sign' of problem? If so, what kind of problem could it be?
    Please help, thanks.
    It's normal to see gray exhaust when a car hasn't yet warmed up or it is cold outside. In fact, up here in MN, your car can be running all day in the winter (completely warmed up) and you'll still see gray exhaust if you punch it or travel at high speeds down the freeway.

Be concerned if you see bluish exhaust (burning oil) or lots of whitish/light grey exhaust on a warmed up car on a mild or warm day (blown head gasket).

That said, the prev generation Neon has had its fair share of head gasket problems, but I believe it usually resulted in actual engine oil leakage rather than coolant mixing in with the oil. Then again, I could be wrong.
  • I am thinking of buying a used Neon... I saw one good post from a used Neon owner... Consumer reports appear to be poor... are there any other good feelings about used Neons out there?
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    2003.5 Neon SRT (Launch scheduled for three models on Dec 10)
    This definitely adds excitement to our Neon line up. The SRT will feature a 2.4L turbo engine with 225HP with a manual transmission and a top speed of 150mph. We plan on building 5,000 units per year. The SRT build definitely adds process and build complexity, as 193 unique parts will be required. The SRT will come in four exterior colors of Red, Solar Yellow, Black and Bright Silver. It will also feature 17" tires and race style pedal pads.
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    Injectors might be dirty too.
  • hjr2hjr2 Posts: 105
    one lady said engine mts needed replaced,electrical shocks, computer needed replaced...etc....

Now you know why i get mad when people bash Hyundai. ALl makes have some cars that have problems! Nuff said.
  • Here is a link with everything you would want to know on the car.

Looks promising, but it is a very competitive market segment.

http://www.allpar.com/neon/neon-srt-4.html