Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon LX with a few issues. I've been trying to read through some of the threads to see if anyone was able to resolve their problems with the power locks making that annoying noise, but didn't see anything recent. Does anyone know of a quick fix to get the power locks to stop making that "screeech" noise every time they lock/unlock? The doors lock automatically when I get up to 15 mph, so I always have to warn any passengers that the sound is coming, otherwise it startles them! And of course, when I set the alarm, the doors lock and this loud screech occurs...it used to be only the passenger door (and I thought it was because my husband was messing with the speaker that blew out) but now the back doors are doing it too. Sometimes, while driving or when the car is just parked outside, the locks will just start this long, loud screech that goes on for about 30 seconds or more. I have no idea why! Does anyone know of a good way to get this fixed without spending tons of money and without disconnecting the locks?? I just spent over $1500 in repairs because the timing belt was stripped and broke all kinds of stuff on the head gasket so I was hoping to get this issue resolved cheaply. Any help would be greatly appreciated with this problem... :confuse:
  • I and my father have been trying to figure out the troubles with our '02 neon. When we try and start it, it seems that no command is sent to the starter. We have replaced the ignition switch and checked all fuses. We think we have checked everything except the fuseable links. If anyone can help it would be great. :confuse:
  • Do you have any power at all? Lights, radio, horn? Check your plugs and wires. A diagnostics test might have to be done by your local garage.
  • We have lights, radio, horn. We have taken the starter off and tested it. We have hooked a computer tester to it and everything came back passed. When we turn the key, everything comes on like normal, but when we turn it to start, nothing happens. It's like nothing is sending the signal to the starter to try and turn over. The ignition switch is brand new.
  • Back in the day when cars had distributors that would be the problem. If a distributor was slightly turned or cracked there would be no spark. So I am wondering if your coil pack is any good? That's where the wires are connected to on top of your engine. If it's junk I've seen them on ebay for cheap money.
  • texas4texas4 Posts: 11
    any comments or thoughts on what tires would be best for 2005 Neon..... factory size is P185 / 60R / 15 , but these seem a little hard to find..... were looking at P195/60R/15 , will these work ok ??
    any recommendations as specific brands / styles ??
    TIA for any comments
  • When you put the key in the ignition, can you turn the key?
  • Yes, but we did find out a few days of trial and error that it was the ecu. We replaced it earlier this month, and now we think it has gone out again. :mad:
  • Hello, I have a 2001 Plymouth Neon and on Friday night my right turn signal and brake light went out. The following day my left turn signal and brake light also went out. When I went to change the bulb I noticed that nothing was wrong with either one but went ahead and changed them anyway and neither worked. I then checked my fuses and once again none were broken or blown out but I changed them anyways and still no turn signals or brake lights. The dealership says it may be the Multi-Function switch. Does anyone know where this is located on my car or if that is an accurate estimate? Has anyone else had this sort of problem or does anyone know of any information that could be of use to me? I appreciate any feedback anyone has. Thank you in advance!! Matthew
  • Hey, I have a 2001 Dodge Neon R/T and I noticed my front driver floor board is wet. I haven't checked the other floor boards yet but I think the driver rear is too because of a stain on a paper that was laying back there. Anyone have any ideas of where the water may be coming from. Has anyone heard of this happening on any other 2001 Neons.
    Thnx, I appreciate any feedback! Jason
  • I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM W/ MY 2000 NEON. I HAD THE ENGINE COMPUTER CHANGED BECAUSE THE 1 THAT WAS IN THERE WAS A CALIFORNIA MODEL(I RECENTLY PURCHASED THE CAR) & IT TRIGGERED THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FOR A PART THAT ONLY EXISTED ON THE CAL. VERSION. NEEDLESS TO SAY I ENDED UP BUYING THE CORRECT COMPUTER FOR THE CAR . THE FIRST ONE FRIED IN LESS THAN 200 MILES ,BUT IT WAS WITH ASSORTED LIGHTS,NO SPEEDO, CHECK ENGINE ,&NO ODOMETER,BUT THE CAR RAN FINE .THIS WAS PROMPTLY CHANGED BY THE DEALER AT NO CHARGE.NOW AT ROUGHLY 5000 MILES AFTER INSTALL I HAVE HESITATION , STALLING AND NOW NO START.YOU TURN THE KEY AND NOTHING HAPPENS.THE DASH AND GAUGES ACTIVATE BUT THAT'S IT.THE WORST PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THE ONLY CODE THAT COMES UP IS THAT THE BATTERY WAS DISCONNECTED IN THE LAST 50 STARTS.NOW THE CODE DOESN'T COME AT ALL AND A SCAN TOOL CAN'T EVEN GET A RESPONSE FROM FROM THE VEHICLE.THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NEVER DID COME ON. ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE OUT THERE ????????
  • IS YOUR SPARE TIRE WHEEL WELL DRY?I HAD A FLOOD IN MY WHEEL WELL EVERY TIME IT RAINED.THE PARTS GUY AT DODGE TOLD ME A COMMON PROBLEM IS THE GASKET AROUND THE REAR LIGHTS.PULL THE BACK LIGHTS AND COAT CONTACT POINTS WITH RTV AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO.THIS WORKED GREAT FOR ME.NO LEAKS AT ALL !!
  • :sick: hi i just bought my 95 neon back in june 06 it was running great great till recently its been drinking oil like crazy the light dont never come on when u drive it on the passenger side near the wheel u hear a real bad :sick: squealing noise which get worse when it rains the wheel wont turn at all its like it locks up then the low beam lights went out we only have high i changed them and it got worse they both went out then and sence then the car had been missing real bad and not picking up its power it acts like its going to die i mean its bad also i tried to put a cd player in and nothing works i changed fuses and all still nothing what could be wrong here with all this? im thinking wires for the cd player and the rest maybe plugs,censor,alternator,battery, i dont know what your solution/
  • i am to having the same problem, you turn the key to start the car and its like the starter is not getting the anything, everything is working but the stater. it has comes and goes it has happen 4 time in the past year so any help on this would be great....
  • We have a 2000 Neon that we bought for our son to drive. With the recent rains the passenger floor board is wet. Saw your post sounds familiar to our problem. By any chance did you figure out what the problem is? We have had it in the shop and it is not the heater core, the shop said they thought the windshield was leaking so we had that looked at and we were told it is fine. We dont know which way to turn now. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • hi,
    Have a 97 dodge neon with factory alarm and remote start. how would I disable the alarm so I don't need to use the remote control device anymore? thanks. btw, it has no toggle switch under the dash.
  • After driving through a flooded street in my 2000 Dodge Neon, my car would not stay running - it would start, and then die. I replaced the battery, same problem. Replaced the alternator, ran for 10 minutes or so, then died. Any thoughts? I need to get to work on Monday!
  • Plugs and Wires for starters. How old are your wires?
  • tomstartomstar Posts: 5
    I have a similar problem with my grandaughters neon except the right rear wheel locks. In searching the forums, someone said there is a problem with the self adjusters for the rear brakes. The person said nothing about a fix except that when it happens, remove the wheel and tap on the drum with a hammer, releasing the brakes.

Of course that is not a fix.

Any luck with your problem?
  • hey there i have been haveing the same promblem with my 2000 neon and i also have a system in my car but when i took it to the shop they told me that i needed to have a part of my computer system in the engine replaced so i would have that looked at
  • enzone33enzone33 Posts: 1
    HOw is the dash removed? Are there any crucial steps in this process? My car is doing the same thing. Can a repair shop fix it or would they just order a new instrument panel?
  • zer0o7zer0o7 Posts: 1
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a diagram or pics of all a/c hoses on a 1999 Dodge Neon? I recharged the a/c yesterday and today I think one of the hoses failed. Big cloud of a/c coolant came from under the hood with a hissing sound. Where ever the hose failed ( if it was the hose ) was under alot of pressure, pretty sure it wasnt the compressor but I cant find where or which hose or part failed. Can anyone help me? I have the Haynes automotive book for it but it only shows how to recharge the a/c and change the compressor.
  • justus3justus3 Posts: 21
    My Neon is an '03 5 speed. It has just over 71,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem with it until now. A few days ago I filled up at the Exxon station, and noticed right after that the engine seemed to be running a little rough. It is steadily getting worse, and I noticed when I am starting out in 1st it sputters and seems like it wants to quit running til I give it a little gas and once on the road it runs fine. I also noticed some strange noise coming from the engine compartment toward the front of the car that sounds like a hissing sound. It's not a constant hissing though. It starts and stops almost in a way like it's trying to suck for something that is not there. There is also a strong odor of gas coming into the car intermittently, usually when it is running rough and I push the gas pedal in to get it to run more smoothly. I put in a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner but so far it's not getting any better. The engine light has not came on since this began. Any input as to what could be the problem would be helpful. :confuse:
  • lt211lt211 Posts: 1
    I'm attempting to replace the water pump on a 97 2.0 dohc. I can't get the lower pulley off the engine to remove the timing belt cover. Any suggestions? my gear puller isn't doing the trick. Additionally, I'll need some info on adjusting the alternator belt, I ended up just cutting it off, I couldn't get to the adjusting bolt.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Calling it a lemon would be a fantastic compliment to it!

I'd be embellishing for the good if I called it only a :lemon: :sick:
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    I have been given an estimate to replace the struts on my 97 Plymouth Neon (744.21) which includes an alignment and am looking for any feedback as to whether the price is reasonable or not.
  • The question is, is that for all four struts? The struts in the front or the struts in the rear? That price for all four is a fair price. I had the rears done on my 99 Dodge Neon and that went for $550 including the mounts.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    Yes, that is for all 4 struts.
  • Then I say go for it. Your car will have better handling.
  • Hey my names Greg proud owner of a 1997 plymouth neon 5 speed what you need to do is go to wal*mart and buy an a/c recharger it comes in a can leave the car off while you do this regaurdless if it tells you to keep it running or not make sure you have someone with you while you do this when it says its charged stay under the hood and have someone turn the car on and turn the a/c on and try to figure out the hose it is leaking from when you find it out take it to the dealer and have them get you that hose or if you are a "do it yourself" kind of guy take the hose off yourself and bring it to your local parts store and hae them ring you up a new one also look underneath the car there are a few hoses under the car if you didnt already know about them hope this helps out atleast a little bit