Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• bruticusbruticus Posts: 229
    Howdy. Over this past weekend (terrible weather here in the northeast) my left-hand lowbeam quit working (I know it was working Friday night, but Sunday when I pulled into my parking spot at home I noticed it wasn't shining) Highbeam works though.

What's the replacement procedure for this? Is it just a bulb or the entire unit? How do I go about making certain the new light, once installed, is aimed correctly?

I should be able to get to the car-parts store this week, but not Monday as the whole state's likely to be shut down (16-22 inches of snow expected, so it'll be a DVD day!)

Thanks

DjB
  • Hello!

My aunt has a 97 neon and within the past two months the car has randomly not started. They'll tow it in, tinker with it, send it back and ultimatley it will do the same thing all over again.

The last time it was in the shop they replaced the computer. Today the car didn't start again... until my aunt put the auto. tranny in neutral. Then it started.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this sound like the transmission safety switch? I recommended to her next time it won't start wiggle the shifter. If it still doesn't start try neutral again. If it does it must be the safety switch.

Any other ideas on what it could be? Thanks.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    It's just the bulb. You should be able to get it from any auto parts store for a fairly reasonable price.
    Anyone have problems with the auto tranny in their Neon? In the past week, I know 2 people whose transmissions have blown. One has a 1996 Neon, and the other a 2000 model, both the 3-speed auto.
  • See also my post #1052 for a full description of my problem.

I just got the car back from the shop, and they inform me that the "Direct Clutch Lip Seal" was the culprit, and would cost about 900-1100 for him to rebuild. The vehicle currently runs ok, it just takes awhile to shift into third when cold. After driving a few miles, all additional shifts seem to be just fine.

My question is this:
    The Edmunds Private Party value on this 95 Highline w/97K, dark green, under rough condition (bad tranny) is $1571. Same car under Average condition is $1805. Same car under Clean condition is $2151 (not attainable due to a few kisses and some rust on the hood).

Can anybody tell me why I should fix this vehicle and keep driving it?

I'm still considering my options, but as this is my wife's car and we have a 2yr old, I'm beginning to think about buying a 2 year old sedan (probably a size larger than the neon), then I'll drive the neon in its current condition until it either gives out completely, or until I can sell it for at least $600(1805 average condition - 1100 estimate tranny repairs - 100 other repairs = 605).

Currently I drive a 93 Dodge Grand Voyager with 152K. So while I'm driving the neon for a few months or so, I can extend the life of the Voyager a bit more before it needs replaced too.
  • Have you considered having a Jasper installed? Or, possibly, a Mopar remanufactured? You may do well to shop around and just have a reman installed.
    Actually, the co-worker who blew her tranny (the one with the 96 w/74K) said this is her second tranny. The first was a rebuilt one, and it just blew.
  • I have a 1996 dodge neon 90,000mi I'm having a problem with the speedometer. When it's rainy or humid or when i hit a large bump my speedometer gets stuck...and stops working. My mechanic said there's not much that he can do about it? Any suggestions?

Also when driving at speeds of 65mph on highways...my neon seems to fish tail. Is this normal the tires are fairly new and in good condition.

third, when driving in recent snow it seems like my front right brake would lock up...I took it in but they couldn't find anything.

um..I've been having problems with my neon stalling...for example driving down a road going 40-45mph steady pressure on the gas I try to pass someone on the left. The car goes forward...and then I feel like the tranny or something is slipping and bang! the car shuts off....has happened on the highway also. any suggestions?
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    Fishtailing is caused by alignment issue. You need to get 4 wheel alignment service.
    What you mean by "the car shuts off", power goes off or you feel that way? If power goes off literally, take it to qualified dealer asap. If you feel car is starving for power then get your fuel filter changed.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Posts: 256
    Just had a look at a neighbors neon with nothing coming out of altenator. No voltage and current clamp meter shows nil as well.

Wire from bat. to alt. has good resistance. Car was dripping wet from melting slush so i quit until i could do some more research. Besides, too cold to be on a creeper today.

Since the alternator looks like it was the first thing put into the car(buried pretty deep), I was wondering if it came out from the side after the pass. tire and plastic shield was removed. Anyone ever taken one out?

Also, I called one after market shop for a price check and was told '95 was to new for a rebuilt. Yeh right.

Does anyone know where the regulator is? My old '91 Die-nasty had its built into the ECM. Is this the case with the neon?

Is there any ongoing problems with this cars alternator that has already been discussed? Or has any body else had a similar issue?

Appreciate any ones input or expertise on this neon.

Thanks

moonshadow
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Posts: 256
    Well this board is pretty dead. Very strange, cause i see neons every where i turn.

For those that do tune in , i got the alternator out through the side like i suspected. Removed the tire and inner plastic wheel well cover after pulling out the electicals from underneath the car.

Lower 4 inch pivot bolt was seized in the pivot bracket due to being so low to the ground and elements. Snapped at the half way point and had to beat out the rest with a long punch.
  • I have a 2000 Neon ES with the 2.0 liter engine with ~33,000 miles that sometimes attempts to stall when it is started when the engine is cold. Oil has been changed every 3,000 miles. If I give it a little gas, I get a big plume of oil filled smoke from the exhaust. After that it runs fine. Any ideas about what may be going on? Ive got only 3,000 miles left on the warranty. Thanks
    I would definitely take the car in before the warranty expires, especially if it's putting out oil in the exhaust. Might be a head gasket problem. Also, you might leave the car overnight so it can be freshly started there at the dealer and they can see what you're talking about.
  • Thanks for your help!! Ive got an appointment already (because the trunk is leaking). Ill let them know of the oil in the exhaust problem and see if they can find anything. It doesnt do it every time (even after waiting a night), so Im hoping I dont get the dreaded "cannot duplicate customer concern at this time" response.
  • Any owners of the 2003 Neon or the Dodge SX2.0 in Canada? My wife and I have included it on our potential picks lists. I am concerned about potential quality issues and would like to hear any feedback from owners.
  • Basically what I see in this discussion is true by experience and or witnessing it myself, or from other neon patrons. I'm not too sure of the 03 but 02 and below have some of the same problems border round. The "suspected fish tail" you hear so much about is true. In actuality my car doesn't fish tail, It's more of a sidewind! The suspension is what causes this. In good days you will sidewind especially if you hit a nice patch of uneven or worn road and you will see exactly what I mean. My friend thinks is completely hilarious when I straddle the white line on the inside of an off ramp by the time we reach the end of it we "sidewinded" to the entire other lane. Month 2 and on was not great either. The steering staring to go, the muffler is showing extreme signs of wear and acceleration is extremely delayed and exaggerated to where if you seen my car you would assume it was a stick by the way it bows before shifting. This car is nice after all the after market goodies are applied making it a cheap car at the moment. I denied this fact after driving it brand new cause the engine break-in was more important than showing off it's power or lack of. I will give it credit for it's incredible tire spinning takeoffs at ease on dry or wet surfaces. On wet surfaces you will unintentionally spinoff from the traffic light, which is why I urge those neon patrons who experience this as well to perform tire rotations slightly ahead of the pre determined schedule in the mannual. I like to add is if you have 2 or more "Moderate" size passengers in the vehicle with you on the highway, acceleration is not going to hapen and you can watch the needle fall every 2 minutes at a steady pace(FUEL)so if you carpool with a neon you might as well get a SUV that burns 15 miles to the gallon cause you may not spend $40 at the pump each time but You will make alot more trips in the long run. The car facts were prabably determined with the driver alone in the car. In conclusion more people in a neon leads to an extreme drag in acceleration and shifting.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Posts: 164
    Has anyone here driven both the SXT and the R/T? Any thoughts on the difference in ride and handling? According to my research, the R/T offers only 6 more lbs/torque, although with 132 vs. 150 h.p., the horsepower improvement is more noteworthy. Also, I'm wondering how compliant the ride is in the R/T...is it harsh and fatiguing, or just firm? It's not easy finding an R/T for a test drive, so advice would be helpful.
  • 71charger71charger Posts: 116
    I've got over three years on my 2000. I couldn't be happier. Handling is excellent. I used to drive a four person carpool in it and never had trouble getting 30mpg or better. The only thing wrong with it is it needs a new windshield as I finally got hit by one too many rocks.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Posts: 552
    I can't tell you about the 2003 but I have a 2002 R/T. I couldn't find one on the lot, I had to special order. I got a white one with no sunroof. I have most all of the other options including leather and side airbags. The suspension is a little firmer but does not beat you to death on long trips. Leather is nice, not many ordered with that option. My dealer said it was only his second ordered that way. I paid about $15K after discounts and rebates. Window price was almost 19, my price also included a wrap around extended warranty that made the 7 year 100,000 mile power train warranty a "Maximum Care" warranty. This way if I do have any problems (ZERO so far) all it will cost me is a $100 dollar deductable for the next 7 years/100,000 miles. Getting on to your comparison I have driven an SXT and I find it to be sloppy handling compared to my R/T although the 5 speed version seemed to be almost as quick as my R/T. The R/T also include 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes which I felt were necessary. Hope this helps!
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Posts: 164
    Thanks for the input. Sounds like the R/T has been a great car for you. I owned a 2000 Neon and loved it, but sold it to move overseas. With the leather package, 150 hp engine, new engine mounts, side airbags, etc., I think the 2003 R/T is a great car for the money (esp. with the discounts you mentioned). By the way, I think Mopar offers a DVD-based sat nav system, too, so the way I see it, this car can be made into a near-luxury sports sedan for under $20,000.