Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Ayup, you paid over twice the amount I did.

-Beanboy
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    How did I pay over twice the amount you did for a new car? I told you I paid something like $13,000 for my Protege. There's no way you got a brand new Neon for something like $6000 unless it was in an accident or something beforehand. Get over it.
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    reduce your daily intake of caffeine and don't spend so much time in the forums, =). The Neon I nabbed was used, a '95 model in fact.

-Beanboy
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    As long as we are into this whole, "I had this happen to me so XXXX brand is all junk" it would seen strange that vocus has had problems with "his" dodge dealer when he has never owned a Dodge hinself. Personally I am really leary of your whole I swapped cars for 3 weeks story, the whole thing seems like such a nice little package to enable you to post negative comments about the neon. Next I supposed your "friend" will come on line and start posting about what a perfect car your Mazada is.

All I ever get driving my neon of 2.5 years is many smiles, there are many other cars I'd rather have out there but none cost under $15000 let alone the $11000 my loaded Neon cost. Yeh it was in the shop twice in the first year and a half for minor problems. The 2 different dealers were both amazing and neither was where I actually bought the neon in the first place. The most recient trip (a year ago) was because it idled rough one time upon start up and almost stalled causing the check engine light to come on. I took it in and got an updated program put in the computer and the changed the plugs and wire for free as 1 cylinder had higher resistance readings even though it was in spec, I also had them replace the front brake pads are they had a very minor squeel at light break pressure. It didn't really affect anything (my mom's 99 VW is way worse) but hey, free pads. I plan on watching the headgasket closely until warrenty expires and if it does I know Dodge will fix it out of warrenty for $100. Sorry but I never here about the other makes giving this kind of care, if anything they are worse because they will do anything to protect the image they are above such problems. Look at Honda Oddyssey transmission problems, Toyota v-6 head gasket problems and a mysterious 'sludge' buildup in the oil, Honda accords crap distributers that cost as much as neon headgaskets regularly every 60000 miles. Sorry I don't know much about mazada, I have never rellay cared enuf to look. I guess they must be perfect.

Point is all cars have there share of problems, no one car let alone an entire make of cars are seriously more reliable then the next. So for me it comes down to bang for the buck and Dodge always leads this catagory in everything they sell from the lowly Neon to the mighty Viper.
    Sooooo my neon has cost me $60 in maintenance (4 oil changes) that took 5 hours total time of my life (this includes the two trips to the dealer for previous post repairs) I have had my Neon since Jan 98 and think it has 24000 miles now (too lazy to go look right now). I am currently trying to burn these goodyears off before next spring so I can show the wife how much we need new tires. And hey why unmount the snows on the factory alloys we can just get new set of wheels, she wont even notice they are 16" suddenly!
    We actually did swap cars for 3 weeks. We live in the same house, so it wasn't difficult. If you don't believe that story, I know there is no way you believe this one either.

He decided he wants to get rid of the Neon after a little over 6 months and 12,500 miles. He has been driving the Protege and wants to keep it. So, I am going to sell him my car and I am going for a 2000 or 2001 Protege ES, loaded. It will probably cost more than the Neon, but it will be worth it. Also, the "crappy" dealer I went to is called Bob Banning Dodge/Pontiac in Landover, Md. If you don't believe me, pull up their website by searching. Their customer service sucks butt there. My Mazda CS experiences haven't been perfect either, but at least they call me when the car's finished. Also, they readily would offer a loaner car if my car had to stay in the shop overnight. This place wouldn't and told me flat out they would "put the car back together the best they could" and I could bring it back the next day for the remaining work. I was appaled that they would think that, let alone say it to a customer.

Just because 10 peoples' Neons have been good to them and reliable doesn't mean everyone's will. My friend just got a bad one I guess. So we are fixing the problem by dumping the junk and becoming a two-Protege household. Problem solved.
    I have never owned a Dodge, Jeep, or Chrysler because I know better. My cousin had a 1998 Wrangler in which the rotors went at 9300 miles. Since the car was 1 month and 3 days over 1 year, Chrysler wasn't going to replace them. After my attorney sent them a nice little letter, they came and got the car from home and replaced the rotors, and washed and waxed the vehicle, all free of charge.

It just seems that almost everyone I know has trouble with DC products, and this reaffirms it.

I will say my friend's ex-wife has a 1996 Neon sedan that she never had problems with. That's why be bought the 2000, based on the experiences with the 1996 model. So I guess that means there are good ones and bad ones, like any manufacturer.
    Just seems DC has more bad ones than good ones.
  • roadrnnrroadrnnr Posts: 1
    I have owned alot of Chrysler products over the years and a couple of Tacoma's.

I have a 90 Shadow ES Turbo that has been driven everyday since new with no major problems. Still runs like new.

I had no qualms about my daughter getting a new 2000 Neon. She got an automatic and I drove it also and it seems adaquite for a 19 year olds first new car.

The choice was between that and a Civic but they are overpriced I think and the look is so stale after all these years. The New Neon is IMHO the best looking of the entry level cars.

I take care of my vehicles and do most maintenance myself and I am sure her new Neon will give her many miles of pleasure.

I buy Dodges cause I know Better!
  • ed12ed12 Posts: 100
    Folks:

I just spent some time with my son in California. He has a 95 Neon with the 5 speed. I drove that baby for quite a while. I was very, very impressed. It is like new on the inside. Drives beatifully, rock solid on the highway.

Very impressed by the seats. Much better than the seats in a 2000 Acura TL I drove recently. Also, nice gearbox.

My only complaint was the level of engine noise.

The only major problems he has had is a broken clutch cable and the infamous head gasket. Luckily, he had an extended warranty.

Ed
    I still don't understand why if you have never owned a dodge what were you doing at the service shop? I agree they might not give such excellent service on your Mazada.

Lsauka- if you didn't pay $16500 then it really didn't deperciate $6500 did it? What did you pay? then you ratio that to the retail value, not the trade in (wholesale) value to find a resale percentage. I bet it's really no more then $2000 which is what you'd expect from a 1 year old Honda as well.
    My friend has a Neon. The Dodge service shop is right up the street from where I work, so I thought I would be a nice friend and take his car in to the shop for him. He took mine for its oil change, alignment, and tire rotation the week before, so I thought I'd return the favor.

I did wayyyy better service at the Mazda dealer than at the Dodge dealership though. It was just this particular one, because when (over a year ago) I took my cousin's Jeep Wrangler in for brakes, they were very nice to me. There is no other word for the repair shop at Bob Banning motors than ghetto-rific.
  • gigsgigs Posts: 11
    Vocus you truly hate dodge. Is it because deep down inside you know that your deep down you realize that your uncreative Mazda brand (every type of vehicle looks the same but in a different size (protege, 626, mpv) is inferior to our dodge products? ;-) I'm just messin' wit ya but its funny you talk about how your Mazda gives out rentals. My rental branch is right beside a Mazda dealership and they never, ever give out rentals. Meanwhile many of my branches stock up on american built vehicles cause they are the dealerships that will pay for rentals. Chrysler dealerships get reimbursed from chrysler for rentals as long as your vehicle takes, I think, at least 8 hours. I know this cause we are a choice rental company for both the Mazda and chrysler dealerships in my town. Well when ever we do get the odd deal from Mazda cst pays, as with many japanesse makes.
    The boys and girls at both midas and chrysler in my town are both nice to deal with.

I like both cars, I've also heard alot of people say they hate there protege's as well as people who hate there neons. One car a lot of people like is the echo. It ends up surprising them how much room and how peppy it is. to bad it gets tossed around in the wind.

You want to pick on some really crapy cars lets pick on sunfires and cavaliers cause in my mind there is no other cars worse in this class then them. They handle like crap, are so unconfomortable and are louder then hell.

top 5 cars in this class
    1 focus or protege
    2. focus or protege can't decide
    3. neon
    4. sentra
    5. civic or elantra

The reason I got a neon the protege was a few thousand more expensive in Canada (that means a lot) and the focus's looks and interior soured on me a bit
    Before my Protege, I had a Cavalier. Someone I went to school with had one too, both of them were 1996 base coupes with automatic. Mine was white, and his is tanish. His engine blew at 100,500 miles, just far enough so Chevy wouldn't cover it to be replaced. Mine was traded in because it spent more time in the shop than on the road. A shame, because they were cheap and have nice power.

Bob Banning told me if my car wasn't done at 6pm when they close, they would put it back together the best they could and return it to me. Then I would have to bring it back the next day. That is awful! I asked for a loaner or rental, and they said they didn't have one. They did, thank GOD, have the car ready at 6 when they closed.
  • mobaymobay Posts: 45
    HI,

Is is just me? I could have sworn that we've been through this before.

Anthing else to discuss?

As for Bob Banning, I would suggest sending his company an email, with this link and tell them to see all the post with his name mentioned.They'll either sue, or give your friend better service.

Send it to Chrysler customer support, and your friend may just get kissed by them north of the knees and south of the belly button.They will also string up Bob Banning's dealership by their gonads.

We've been here before,where do we go next?

BTW had my first oil change today. Put in 0-30W Synthetic. I swear the engine is idling slightly higher and feels ..,more.., how can I say..,less restricted.

Has anyone had the same experience?
    Does anyone else's 2000 Neon vibrate when idling in reverse? No matter if the engine is cold or hot, AC on or off, the engine vibrates bad enough to make the steering wheel tremble. Is this normal? My dealer told me ALL 4-cylinder cars do this. Maybe in the 70s or 80s, but not in 2000!
  • vocus: to answer your question about vibration, NO. It seems your dealer has a B.S. in "BS" =^]. Get a new dealer and get a new car.
  • My neon runs better too with full synthetic in it, I use Pennzoil's synthetic. I use Mobil 1 too but Pennzoil was on sale. What filter do you use? I use Purolator Pureone . Just drove 600 miles roundtrip, my neon drove efficiently and VERY QUIET at cruising speed, I almost fell asleep at 70mph! Saw a ton of new neons back home in Pennsylvania, a friggin ton of em. MOPAR MANIA!!!!!!!
    PS: I RECANT ON THAT WIND NOISE ISSUE, THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE 60 SERIES LOWER PROFILE TIRES BUT ONLY OCCASIONALLY,WIND NOISE ISNT BAD THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME EITHER. ENGINE: JUST PERFECT! SEE YA IN THE FUNNY PAPERS.....
  • edswordsedswords Posts: 47
    I just purchased the detatchable luggage rack from Dodge for 200 dollars. It fits great and is easy to install (took me about 10 minutes). It also has a lock for security. If you need a luggage rack for any reason, I recommend the factory one.
  • Check this Out! Go to neonsport.com/srt_2d_nitro.gif

YYEEEAAAAHHHH BABY!!! =^] 208 HP AFTERBURNIN NEON.
  • I am purchasing a 2000 Neon this weekend...and I want the SE...I think that is what it is called...with all the options..I also want a 5-speed-especially after reading the comments. I was wondering how much should I pay...because I get ripped off by everyone I encounter.