Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• ...a few missing posts. They were removed for being off topic and/or confrontational.

KarenS
    Vans host

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• temmtemm Posts: 2
    I ordered a 01 T/C last week. When I was looking over the invoice I noticed a $500.00
    advertising charge. Does anyone know if the dealer is really out $500.00?

I ordered this van on 10/10. Dealership called this morning and said it was going down
    the line. Arrival date should be the end of this month. Hope this is true.

The dealership offered $10,5 for my 96 T/C I bought in May 96 for $26,5. Including
    interest, that works out to about $330.00 a month. Only thing I had to replace on this van
    was tires and brakes which is normal for any vehicle with 80,000 miles. Of coarse the
    transmission was replaced but under warranty. I am well satisfied.
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    I could find a nice low mile 1997 Town and Country LXI for $12,000!

To give you 3 references (gee, I wonder how the dealer came up with numbers to give themselves a potential $10,000 profit?)

On a 1997 T&C LXI with standard features and 45K miles:

Edmunds $14,200 trade in and $17075 retail
    Kelly Blue Buok: 16,330 trade, $21,300 retail
    NADA (june 2000, sorry not current) $16400 wholesale, $18000 trade in, and $20500 retail.

There are not many more major pricing publications out there and I really find it hard to believe 3 major ones put the trade in on this van $11500 at best.

In a serarch of www.autotrader.com turned up 499 97 T&C's the least expensive LXI had 100000 miles on it and was priced at $11,000, the least expensive under 50K miles was $15,000, the mean price of all 97 T&C's all models was $17,985. Granted this is what dealers are asking and they do need to make some profit but even it they were willing to take $2000 off the mean price and still poket $2000 profit, they would still be able to pay $14000 on a trade. FYI there were 55 priced over $10,000 more then what you received as a trade in hence the possibility of a $10,000 profit.
  • carleton1carleton1 Posts: 560
    As in January 1999 the trade-in for my 1991 Astro CL in mint condition with 61,601 miles was between $2,000 and $2500 BELOW the trade in stated in NADA and Edmunds. Maybe there is also a secretive "price-fixing" between the used car managers of all dealerships in the area where aminh96 lives as it appears to be here.
  • carleton1carleton1 Posts: 560
    #432 of 433: interesting article on 2001 DC vans (binkybarnes) Thu 19 Oct '00 (04:52 PM)

http://www.money.com/money/depts/autos/onwheels/index.html
  • Does anybody know if the 2001 town and country LXi is as quiet as the 2001 Limited. Are there different levels of sound insulation put in the various models within the town and country van line-up. Am also considering the dodge grand caravan ES. Can I assume the ES is as quiet as the town and country? Also do the dodge grand caravan and town and country ride as well as each other. Is one a more softer ride than the other?
  • Per the brochure, the limited has added insulation & is quieter than the LXI, we drove 2 identical LXIs, heard a droning noise in both, could not detect if it was the tires, wheels, or the transmission, it was between 45 & 50 mph in one & between 60 & 70 mph in the other, we are waiting to test the limited which is not avaiable in our area as yet.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    that droning was probably coming from the exhaust...
  • elle5elle5 Posts: 1
    After months of getting used to the fact that my great '91 Toyota Previa AWD van was nearing it's end of service to my family, I quit agonizing! After eliminating Toyota's Sienna (too small) and Honda's Odyssey (not impressed)I started to read about the redesigned T&C. Today I took my husband,9yr twins and little sister to test drive a 2001 LXi AWD T&C. We all loved the quiet ride, the excellent handling, the stereo,the classy interior, tons of space and the power doors and lift gate. I now realize that I didn't want to give up driving an AWD minivan (especially now that winters in the north east are predicted to be colder and wetter: more snow because of no la nina or el nino). After stopping strangers who own T&C's, asking soccer moms who drive them,etc. no one has had any problems with the old design. I know if I start digging I will unearth some past reliability issues....but I think I will go with my gut feeling on this one. As one reviewer stated when beginning his piece on the new 2001 Chrysler T&C: WOW!
  • mechanmechan Posts: 7
    I believe the reason that DC increased the powertrain warranty in Canada to 5 yrs/100k km is to remain competitive with Honda and their Odyssey Canadian powertrain warranty which is also 5 yrs/100k km.
    so, why do both dc and honda have longer powertrain warranties in canada than they do in the good ole' usa?
  • alingaling Posts: 598
    Hmm, that's interesting. My '94 Grand Voyager LE AWD has a 7 year powertrain warranty. It will be 7 years old as of December 23rd, 2000, so I guess I better make sure that everything is in order! I had the rear diffy changed under that warranty about a year ago because there was a very slow leak. I only have 90020 kms though, so I'm not worried about the mileage limit.

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    Checking the Honda USA website last night, the US Odyssey comes with only a 3/36k mile powertrain warranty, thus the likely reason why DC hasn't had to offer the 5/60k mile warranty on Caravans in the US.

As an another example of differences between Canadian and US warranties, with the VW Passat sold in Canada, the ptrain warranty coverage is 5/50k miles and is worse than Passats sold in the US which have a 10/100k mile ptrain warranty.
  • enetheneth Posts: 285
    It may explain part of it, but some of the competition (Toyota's Sienna) does offer an extended powertrain warranty of 5/60 in the U.S.

Interesting about VW in Canada - I wonder if the basic warranty is any better (in the U.S., I was surprised to find that they cover bumper-to-bumper for only 2 years/24,000 miles).
    I agree if you bring the Sienna (short wheelbase) into the comparison, but DC's marketing strategy may only recognize the need to match what its toughest extended wheelbase competitor (the Odyssey in this case) is offering.

In Canada, VW offers bumper-to-bumper coverage on the Passat of 2 yrs/40000 km (I'm not sure about the rest of the VW lineup).
    to anyone interested:

i just got an email from a chrysler service tech friend of mine. he said that the 3.5l engine will only be available on the town and country this coming spring. along with that engine comes some changes to the tranny, especially better torque management. he went on to say that the "differential" part of the transaxle was upgraded significantly around a year ago. since the mid 90s the biggest problems with the 41te have shifted toward the differential part of the transaxle and its spider gears/pins rather than the tranny itself. seems that abuse such as spinning your tires excessively while stuck in snow or mud has caused these parts to overheat seize or even break through the transaxle casing. anyway, the upgrades should certainly help stave off this problem. also, just in case you are a chrysler transmission troll, this differential weakness is resident with the 41te only. the 42le in the lh cars has an entirely different differential that is quite robust.
    Of course, since this is a Caravan topic, it is applicable - the Caravan uses only the 41TE.

The $64,000 question is why DaimlerChrysler waited so long to fix yet another in what seems like an interminable series of problems with this transmission - it amounts to an admission that everything built up to a year (or so) ago remains problematic. Scroll up a few topics, and you'll see someone complaining about a failure in a 1999 Town and Country - a failure that sounds very simliar to what we experienced in 1993 (i.e., wham-bam-shudder-lock into low gear, with metal all over the inside of the transaxle).

Maybe they have finally fixed the problems - what is really irritating is that they've known all along that these units have multiple failure modes, and that they've taken almost a dozen years to hopefully make things right.

It also casts a lot of doubt on those who claim that it's just a problem with the wrong fluid being used (particularly for those of us who experienced the problems, despite proper care with only OEM parts and fluid being used for maintenance).

Then again, maybe the Daimler part is FINALLY bringing the Chrysler part into the modern age, reliability wise.
    making the differential more robust in the 41te may be overdue. but i know that the differentials in many transverse applications are not nearly as strong as those in say a logitudinal or rear drive layout. and remember that abuse has been the main killer. my dad has a 96 t&c that has about 70k miles on it and has been just fine. an electronics technician at my office has a 92 grand caravan that needed a new tranny at 130k (seals and snap ring went out) otherwise has been great and has nearly 200k miles on it presently. now keep in mind these two examples take good care of their vehicles and probably would never burn up their transaxle if stuck in say, mud. however, alot of people don't pay any attention to things like this, or even maintenance schedules. so, to each his own...
    Many of these units have not been abused in the least, and yet have failed. Our first one went at 18,000 miles - no abuse at all.

However, if it is the differential that is a weak link, it could explain why the units are so much worse in minivans than they are in cars (and in turn, why they're worse in larger cars like the Dynasty and New Yorker, etc. than in smaller ones like the Stratus and Cirrus).

It will be interesting to see if the unit finally ends up being replaced, as 5-speed automatics become mainstream. However, I wonder how much better Daimler will be with transaxle design - since they sell essentially no front-wheel drive cars of their own.
    it is a fact that mercedes 5 speed automatics will be produced for the next generation lh cars in late 2003. however, those cars are supposed to go to rwd at that time. it will be interesting to hear the first post from someone having to replace this tranny, especially as i'm sure it will be much more expensive than replacing a chryco tranny.