Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• Hello,

My wife and I are in the market for a mini van now that we have a little one and we were looking into the T&C. She is one of those US only people which I am not as I drive a Lexus ES300 and had a Camry before that. Although it sounds like the Honda Odyssey would be a great choice - we are looking for leather seats which the Honda does not have. We like the power doors and lift gate as well as everything else although we wish they had a magic third row like the Honda. All in all we are were thinking of buying at the end of the model year to see if we could save some money as the 02's come out. With all of this talk about the noise and vibrations it seems that my full confidence in this purchase is now suspect. We of course will test drive the T&C and compare the FWD to the AWD but since we live in the snowy north we would usually opt for AWD. What should I look for in the test drive to make sure I can live with the purchase after. Otherwise we may wait for the 2002 model to see if the problem is fixed.
  • kkshinkkshin Posts: 13
    I have posted many messages regarding to low frequency noises and vibration on this site, because I figured this is very important to those who have infants. When I got my 2001 T&C, my baby was crying every time when he was riding in the new vehicle. Thus far, I had to spend additional $200 on earplugs for my baby's hearing protection due to the problem. Moreover, this problem is very annoying to adults and think about what this can do to an infant?. At this point, I realized the problem is not acceptable for what I have paid for ($38K in US Dollars). I initialized the reporting of this problem to the dealership and Chrysler's customer support, but their response to this is "we don't care..." I would like to caution those who are in market for minivan especially for those who are thinking about 2001 T&C AWD. Please look for this problem as you are test-driving the vehicle. The details of this problem are described in my previous posted messages along with other people's posted messages as well.
    Good luck!
  • Ok... I posted last week looking for help in my decision on buying a TC AWD vs. a DC ES, etc... I received numerous responses from people who loved their TC LTd's AWD and FWD's... I was getting ready to buy... just like "Jackfactor" in 483's post...

However, now people who loved their TC LTD's are saying that they would never buy a Chrysler product again, the noise requires earplugs for infants, etc... I personally am really confused.

I have test driven the DC's and the TC AWD's several times now. I did hear the low noise at 2100 rpm's.. but mainly felt the little vibration on the gas pedal. In no way did I think that this noise/vibration would hinder me from buying this car. I cannot imagine that if this noise is indeed the SAME noise that the rest of you are hearing that it would cause a child to have earplugs, etc... I didn't even notice the sound/vibration the first two times I test drove these vans... I only went back after reading this board and decided to see if there really was something to all these posts about the noise at 2100 rpm's.

I do agree that there is definitely something that Chrysler needs to do to fix the little vibrations.. however unless the noise/vibration becomes worse over time (ie. louder, etc..) I cannot begin to conceive of it causing as much stress and discomfort as has been listed on this board. Maybe some vans have a louder or stronger vibration than others??? It is possible... the 4 vans I've driven have all sounded the same and not one of them would deter me from buying this van... I test drove in real conditions.. ie.. my mom and 2 kids in the van with me one of the times. With kids talking, crying, etc... and the radio going... how could you hear that noise???? I think as many others have said.. that these cars are SO sound proof that we hear more noises that would have otherwise blended into our "usual road noise".

So.. what is deterring me?? The safety ratings.. I'm waiting until they come out. I have a 1year old and a 4 year old and in all good conscience cannot buy a car/van without knowing how it tested on the safety side! I am getting ready to test drive a Honda Odyssey that does have some of the upgrades I would require to make me sway that direction... leather seats, TV/DVD, upgraded stereo.. (all the REALLY important stuff!) :o) (joke.. ha!)

At this point.. I'm on hold.. waiting to see how the Odyssey test drive goes... and to see where the TC's and DC's end up with the safety ratings. I'm still not totally convinced that the Suburban isn't the way to go... have to check the safety ratings on that one next! When will the TC's and DC's be rated?? ANYONE know?????

Like "Jackfactor" I may also wait until 2002 and see what changes the Odyssey makes.. maybe adding an electric rear hatch.. better options, etc... JAckfactor.. you can get the leather, TV/DVD's, etc... after market... It puts the price in my area.. (WA State) at around 33-34K...

Good luck to all of you with the "noise" problems... I hope it does get resolved... I just can't see the seriousness of it in the models I've driven. I'm not saying it isn't a problem.. just haven't had any experiences such as any of you...
  • Ok, So I left this topic and went to the T&C vs. Odyssey topic and saw this article that says that since Chrysler is losing so much share to Honda that they are coming out with a new version called an EX in March of this year just after releasing the 2001 redesign. Does that make sense? I hope all of you that purchased 2001's won't be mad when you read this if it is true. I am definitely waiting to find out more about this. This will be great if it is true.

http://www.auto.com/industry/dcx27_20010127.htm

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Go with the Honda, you can get aftermarket leather for between $1300-1600 if you look. Classic Softtrim has some real nice leather and all of your seats are leather, not just the part you sit on. Also most vans 3rd seats are vinyl where the classic is also ALL LEATHER. Same goes for the frt. doors and sliders. Check out the Classic site at www.classicsofttrim.com
  • Hi there...

Yes.. there is a new EX model of the T&C coming out in March. My relative is a Chrysler dealer and here is all the info. he's given me...

The new EX will be made to compete with the Honda Odyssey as far as the price range. The EX will go for around 27-28K. It comes standard with features such as the automatic doors & lift gate, removeable console, 16" touring tires, traction control, 3.5 V6, 215 hP, 4 wheel disk brakes, side airbags (Option) and 5 color options... There are NO other options you can add... such as leather, heated seats, etc.. etc...

This is basically a similar model to the LX.. however you get some of the Options as standard on the EX. The drawback to me is the lack of leather seating, upgraded sound system, etc... I won't buy the EX. I am still going to wait for the Crash testing on the T& C's to see if the LXI or Ltd. are still options for me.

The T& C ltd. and LXI's definitely have the options and the comfort that so many of us desire. This is why so many of us have avoided the Odyssey. dmathews is correct about the Ody having the aftermarket leather options.. as I said in my post 485. The Ody I drove first was the standard one and I was not impressed with comfort or options available. I will see if my views change after driving the ODy with the nice leather seating and that great TV/DVD option! (My 4year old will love that on long road trips.. which we take often!).

Obviously you can't avoid the safety ratings either. I don't think I'll choose the Ody yet until I can compare the actual crash testing of the TC's.. Honda does have the name behind it vs. Chrysler and all the issues that follow with it. I'm really starting to think that the wait until 2002 won't be such a bad idea. Maybe Honda will add that auto liftgate and other options to make it a great package for all of us... ON the other hand (devil's advocate here) maybe Chrysler will offer a TC with a magic seat (doubtful) and leave out the seemingly ( to some) annoying vibrations in it's AWD's... And.. lower the price to boot! HA!

I'm in the same boat as you... just sitting back and waiting!

Maria
  • pgs_28pgs_28 Posts: 34
    This if very, very frustrating. Every vehicle I have driven has this problem in various degrees. My T & C LTD Fwd has it but less than other Chrysler vehicles I have driven. The question now becomes what is a consumer to do. The great thing about this forum is that it has the potential to reach a large number of readers. I am willing to try anything and would welcome anyone's suggestions as to what we might be able to do.

I paid big bucks for this van and this is totally unacceptable!!!!!!!!! I know this may seem like a little thing to some people but trust me it will irritate the hell out of you. I love my T&C but this problem has to be resolved.

PEOPLE>>> DO NOT BUY A 2001 MINIVAN FROM CHRYSLER!!!! THIS PROBLEM IS SERIOUS AND YOU SHOULD NOT ACT UNTIL IT HAS BEEN RESOLVED!!!!

If anyone has any info please email me at pgs_28@hotmail.com. Thanks. BTW... I"m from Toronto Canada.
  • geoduckgeoduck Posts: 52
    The EX is a good idea for folks who desire a low-to-mid line vehicle with some high-tech door controls and a few other things as well for a reasonable price. The key for consumers is to know thy requirements and the subsequent market offerings.

We were strictly looking for both AWD and high-end amenities, so a spiffed-up LXi fit the bill just fine. If AWD is a must-have requirement, then one's minivan choices are pretty lean-Chrysler says that only 5% of their minivan sales are AWD. Having that marketplace limitation was a relief. And we got a great vehicle to boot.
  • scannerscanner Posts: 295
    Is it coming from the Trolls or is it coming from the Honda salesmen?
  • kkshinkkshin Posts: 13
    I agree with pgs_28.
    To all, please be advised on the low noises and vibrations problem.

DO NOT PURCHASE CHRYSLER'S MINIVAN TILL THEY HAVE RESOLVED THIS PROBLEM.

FYI:Dodge Grand Caravan AWD is built in same factory as Chrysler's Minivan. These vehicles also have low frequency noises and vibration problem.
  • egrandegrand Posts: 14
    Gee I wonder if pgs_28 and kkshin are the same troll Duh
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    Yeah, I was just starting to wonder about that too. Also, notice pgs_28 would repost his message whenever somebody is interested in buying a T&C. No offend pgs_28 but if you really can't stand that noise problem, why don't you sell your car now?

I hope the following comment won't offend anybody, this is just my observation and my experience. pgs_28 and kkshin, are you two Asian? The reason I said that is many Asian people have a thing against American cars and they love Japanese cars.
    To Egrand

You are obviously on the wrong board. Go and play with the kids at Toys R Us and someday when you grow up and can talk intelligently about purchasing a 36K automobile then come back. In the meantime, keep your comments to yourself.

Thank you on behalf of those who use this forum responsibly.
    Asian? Ha...not that there is anything wrong with that. I am Irish and think that this issue is important to perspective Chrysler owners. So far Chrysler has done nothing to alleviate the concerns of those who have found this problem. I repeat the message only as a means of keeping the problem in the eyes of viewers in hopes someone, someday might have a solution to this problem. Think of it as a public service.
    Seems I've hit a raw nerve somewhere. You really don't own a Town & Country do you. Bought an Odyssey and regret it? (just a joke O.K.) I do belong on this board. My 2001 T&C Limited is my third Chrysler Minivan. Previous were 1988 Dodge caravan and 1994 Town & Country. I have had the car for one month now and can say this is truly the best auto I have owned. I have four kids and fine the blending of size comfort and luxury to be wonderful FOR ME. I am not saying the Chrysler vans are perfect for everyone. I am sorry you regret your purchase. Keep smiling.
  • Thanks babyangels. I went to the Chrysler site and they had the EX under Build Your Own. You are right although I think you can get the 3.8L not that that is a major concern. The leather and fact that you cant get it in steel blue are a concern as well as the other accessories. At this point I am waiting to see if the rumors of massive discounting will come true. We are in no hurry as my wife has a 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer that we will be selling before we buy the mini van. It will also be interesting to see if this noise issue is real and if it will be fixed for 2002 or in the later year production if there is any with all of the layoffs. I am sure that the noise level is less than our truck.
    It appears that my top choice would be the LXI AWD or the Limited in Steel blue with the Navy leather - and potentially the mopar entertainment-video center. Did anyone get the video and is it good? It is VCR not dvd -Ii wonder if they will be making a dvd one.
  • "I cannot imagine that if this noise is indeed the SAME noise that the rest of you are hearing that it would cause a child to have earplugs, etc..."

I think that someone is heading towards a lawsuit or perhaps just engaging in a bit of hyperbole.
  • geoduckgeoduck Posts: 52
    My question to those folks who have serious problems with their new T&Cs: have you gone through the formal problem resolution process that Chrysler offers? If so, how far along the journey are you?

Does Canada have some kind of lemon law protections pgs_28? How about Alabama, Kkshin?
  • grplavloff... Are you responding to me or to pgs_28 in regards to your comment?

I honestly hope you don't think I was the one over-exaggerating or going for the lawsuit???? I was only responding to pgs_28 comments about how terribly noisy his/her TC Ltd.. is... "damaging to her infant/child", etc...

I just don't see the noise as a serious issue. As I stated earlier.. it may be worse in some models than in others... but I just don't hear it or feel it as a serious issue. I have a hard time believing that the noise I'm hearing could possibly be the SAME noise that pgs_28 and kkshin are hearing.

Geoduck... I'm glad to hear you STILL Like your TC... you leave me hope.. At this point I'm ruling out the Odyssey until they offer a split bench in the back. I WILL need the capability to have a 3rd seat in the back row... and would like the convenience of the split bench and being able to take out 1/2 of the 3rd row for more storage. I have a friend who bought the SIenna for the same reason... ruling out the Odyssey for the full bench only option.

Please keep me posted on your TC LTd... it is still the best option I see.. however would really like those crash ratings! :o)

Maria
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    You may be very interested to know that tonight'sDateline NBC programme will be covering the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's 5 mph bumper crash tests on a variety of vehicles, including the Chrysler minivans. Just so you know, the full 40mph IIHS offset crash tests are usually conducted about a month after these bumper crash tests. So, you may not have to wait for long!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Hey... ask and you shall receive, eh? Thanks so much for the heads up... I didn't know about tonights Dateline episode... I'll definitely be watching!

I'm really crossing my fingers that the Chrysler/Dodge minivans test well... I just can't seem to find any other vehicle that has all the options, feel, and overall package that I'm looking for!

Thanks again!
    Maria
  • I think I misspoke regarding the 3.5 V.6.. sorry! You are correct.. the EX comes with the 3.8V6 as standard... The 3.5 V6 is supposed to come out sometime soon... but not as of yet.

In regards to what you're looking for.. sounds like we're in the same boat too.. I also like the Steel Blue best... but am opting for the taupe leather (hides all the crumbs from my kids food best). I would really like the LTD version, however I'm finding I really like the convertibility of the 3rd split bench in the LXI's... I wish that CHrysler would offer the LTD with a split bench! When I asked the CHrysler dealer about this.. he said, " Chrysler didn't figure than anyone who could afford this minivan (the ltd.. ) would care about a 3rd row split bench!" Genius, eh?!! Geeze!!!

I was able to test drive a Dodge GC EX, AWD.. completely maxed out as well as a TC LTD, AWD, and a TC LXI FWD all on the same day.. I was given free reign by the salesman and able to park them all side by side and just walk back and forth comparing them... I ruled out the DC just because of my overall feel of the look. I like the exterior trim, etc.. of the TC better. I also figured that since the DC I drove was 37K and the TC LXI and LTD's were 37 and 38K respectively... why get the DC? Resale seems to be better on the TC's... My relative Chrysler dealer in Oregon also told me the same thing...

The video systems I've seen were in a DC EX... I was not impressed with the picture myself... I was told by a different dealer in WA that another option is to save some bucks and move the convertible console from btwn the driver/passenger to btwn the 2nd row seats.. then get one of the cheap tv/vcr combo's at Costco and put it btwn the driver/passenger seat and plug her in! Has anyone done this? You'd get a 13" tv screen vs. the 6" too! I would only do this for long trips... You can still use the wireless headphones too!

I'll be curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this idea!

Good luck!

PS.. IN regards to the bit of name-calling/nastiness on the board today... come on people.. this is a place to post INFORMATION... share and keep it nice. I personally am tired of reading the same posts from some regarding "not buying a Chrysler", etc... I don't know how to tell who is a dealer for Honda vs. Chrysler, etc.. I just appreciate feedback from TC/DC owners helping me to make an informed decision for my family (since my husband wants nothing to do with this decision!) :o)
    Maria, I too considered the option of putting a TV/VCR combo between the seats. The screen size was much better and the cost much less than the Mopar fold down 6.5" screen. I changed my mind when I read on some site, about the concerns of a 13" TV flying around in a car in case of an accident and the damage that this projectile could cause. I had never considered that.I went with the Mopar system which the kids and I are very happy with. Another plus is that the sound is wired through the cars speakers. Elliot
  • Elliot,

Wow!! I cannot believe that I didn't even consider that! With all my concerns about safety, etc... I'm really embarrassed I even brought it up now! Yikes!

Ok... You've totally convinced me not to go that route now! Thank you! See.. that's what I love about this board.. people sharing info and helping people! :o)

On a good note.. I have heard that Mopar and others are offering larger fold down screens these days... don't know how much more they are... but would possibly consider. Someone had posted about this on one of these boards... I think the clarity is supposed to be better on the 6"... but the person that posted about his larger screen flip down said that the larger screen was much easier to view and the quality was fine for his needs... Just a thought!

Thanks again!
    Maria
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    You're welcome! That's what my co-host and I are here for :-) As a Chrysler AWD minivan driver myself, I'll be watching for interest-sake, even though I already know the results of the 5mph bumper tests. ;-) I won't spoil it for you though. The 40mph offset crash tests in about a month or so should be interesting though, and they'll certainly be what you've been looking for.

I can tell you right now that it will be improved over the previous generation Chrysler vans (model year 1996 to 2000), but perhaps not quite to Toyota Sienna levels. Chrysler revealed at a dealers conference a little while back that it had mis-judged the (very positive) effect that good crash test results would have on sales (ex. the Windstar, Sienna, or Odyssey) and that it expected the '01 vans to do better, but not best in all of the areas.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    Y'all will have to fill "the co-host" in on the Dateline report in since I don't have a TV (guess I can find their web site):-).

btw, I hitched a ride down from the ski hill today (I don't have a car either, lol!) in a '94 Dodge Caravan. Owner had to replace the tranny at 5k, and is now at 125k on the vehicle, had no further problems, and loves it.

Steve_
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    That noise won't be nothing after you back into a pole at 5mph and cause $4000+ damage to your van. Now that will be a noise.
    Now that's a useful post for this board! Must make your decision to buy the Odyssey feel like the right one......yet the doubts & regrets still won't go away, will they
  • dmathews... What is up with that comment? Did you already catch the episode of Dateline tonight that our host mentioned?? Is there something other than the usual.. " I hate Dodge/Chrysler" theme here you're trying to get across... Unlike you... some of us just want to share information and make a knowledgeable and unbiased decision about our future car/van. In this day and age... with the ridiculous prices we have to pay for these vans... you can bet your (well.. you know..) that I'm not going to make my decision based on some guys constant digs towards one particular company. I have a completely open mind about what car/suv, etc.. I'll choose to put my priceless family in. My decision will be based on all the facts... safety ratings, prices, comfort, options, reliability, and consumer feedback (to some degree).

Are you a Honda salesman???? It seems pretty strange to me that you are on all these boards.. Chrysler/Dodge, Odyssey vs. the TC, CHevy Venture, etc... posting all your dislikes towards every manufacturer except Honda... Hmm...

I'm happy for you if you actually do have an Odyssey and really like it.. that's just grand... However, in case you didn't catch the title of this board.... as a reminder.. it's "The 2001 Next Generation DC/TC".. not the "Buy an Odyssey cause AMerican Cars Suck!" board.

Please do us all a favor and stick to the topic at hand.. the TC and DC... ( Maybe I'll have egg in my face if you are actually referring to the testing that is being reported on Dateline tonight... but I'll have to wait a few more hours to see!)

Happy Trails to all!! :o) (My I've had a busy day on here today!)
    Maria
  • OK... well... guess I know what dmathews was referring to now... the 4000.00 total repair cost for all of the 4 bumper tests on the DC..

HOWEVER... does this rear bumper 2000.00 portion have something to do with the electronic lift gate?? Just curious...

I will STILL wait to see the actual crash ratings... because as many car manufacturers noted in their responses to the bumper tests... the interior passenger safety is their primary concern... not bumper design and overall repair costs of those bumpers. I share the same feeling. I would however like a cheaper bill on the repairs... Still... my family's safety is still the primary concern... as always!

I cheated and went to msnbc's website to read the summary article on the crash testing... just couldn't wait!! :o) (Also being a mom of two with no breaks/sleep.. need my rest... I'll be asleep when it airs at 10pm! :o)

I'm sure you're getting your kicks dmathews... but please remember why we are on THIS particular board...

I sign off with a slight bit of egg on my face... HEE HEE!
    Maria