Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• StrategoStratego Posts: 29
    Imagine how great the '01 Sport will be! :)
  • indydriverindydriver Posts: 620
    Can't do that anymore. I got tired of waiting, bit on the big rebate, now I gotta reinforce that decision!
  • grathgrath Posts: 13
    I understand 2001 t&c's will arrive in showrooms in august but cannot get a straight answer on when the 3.5 will arrive.Does anyone have any info on this?
    Just thought I'd share the trim packages for those of you that might not already know:

For MY '01 Caravans:

ALL CARAVAN TRIM LEVELS:

STANDARD
    - Next Generation driver and front-passenger airbags
    - Front air dam
    - "Dodge" badge on front doors
    - Brake-park interlock: Cannot shift out of Park unless brake pedal is depressed
    - Front and rear 5 mph bumpers
    - Cargo net: Located between front bucket seats
    - Driver and passenger side rear sliding doors
    - Carpets, passenger and cargo area
    - 20-gallon fuel tank with tethered cap
    - Front and rear seatback grocery bag hooks
    - Exterior lighting: Halogen headlamps
    - Interior lighting: Cargo compartment, dual liftgate flood lamps
    - Front and rear power outlets, 12-volt
    - Easy Out Roller Seats
    - Rear floor silencer
    - Power rack-and-pinion steering
    - Under front passenger seat, lockable storage drawer
    - Normal duty suspension
    - Spare tire, compact
    - User-Ready Child Seat Tether Anchors: Top, located at each back seat position to minimize child seat movement
    - Windshield wipers: Variable intermittent front, intermittent rear

OPTIONAL
    - Supplemental side airbags for front and rear occupants
    - Engine block heater
    - Heavy-duty engine cooler
    - Roof rack
    - Security alarm and Sentry Key Engine Immoblizer
    - Smoker's Group: Front and rear ash receivers and cigar lighter

CARAVAN SE FWD - C PACKAGE

STANDARD
    - 150 hp 2.4L I-4 with 3-speed automatic
    - Manual single-zone air conditioning
    - 140-amp alternator
    - Front and intermediate passenger assist handles
    - 600-amp battery
    - Power front disc/rear drum brakes
    - Tinted glass
    - Intermediate bench with rear three-passenger bench
    - AM/FM stereo radio with cassette player and 4 speakers
    - 215/70R15 BSW All-Season tires
    - 15" steel wheels with Kinetic wheel cover

OPTIONAL
    - 180 hp 3.3L FFV V6 with 4-speed automatic and 500 amp battery
    - 4 wheel ABS
    - Climate Group II: Sunscreen glass
    - Electric rear window defroster and windshield wiper de-icer
    - Deluxe Convenience Group: Speed control and tilt steering column
    - Power door locks
    - Front and rear floor mats
    - Power Convenience Group: Highline door trim panels, foldaway power heated mirrors, power windows and power door locks
    - Remote keyless entry system
    - Intermediate bench with two child seats and rear three-passenger bench
    - AM/FM stereo radio with CD player and 6 speakers
    - Load levelling and height control
    - Full size spare tire

CARAVAN SPORT FWD - F PACKAGE

STANDARD
    Same as Caravan SE FWD, plus:
    - 180 hp 3.3L FFV V6 with 4-speed automatic
    - 500-amp battery
    - 4 wheel ABS
    - Electric rear window defroster and windshield wiper deicer
    - Speed control
    - Tilt steering column
    - Power door locks
    - Front and rear floor mats
    - Tachometer
    - Dual folding power, heated mirrors
    - Rear fascia scuff pad
    - Intermediate deluxe bench with rear deluxe three-passenger bench
    - Deluxe cloth seat trim
    - AM/FM stereo radio with cassette player and 6 speakers
    - 15" steel wheels with Crossfire wheel cover

OPTIONAL OR WITH H OR K ORDER PACKAGES
    Same as Caravan SE FWD options, plus:
    - Dual zone temperature control with particulate air filter
    - Fog lamps and 160 amp alternator
    - Overhead console
    - Passenger side power sliding door
    - Light Group: Ignition time delay, glove box and overhead ash tray/cup holder lamps
    - Headlamp off time delay
    - Dual illuminated cover visor vanity mirrors
    - Intermediate deluxe bench with two child seats and rear deluxe three-passenger bench seat
    - Intermediate Quad Command roller bucket seats and rear deluxe three-passenger bench seat
    - Intermediate Quad Command roller bucket seats with one child seat and rear deluxe three-passenger bench seat
    - Intermediate Quad Command roller bucket seats with one child seat and rear deluxe 50/50 split three-passenger bench seat
    - Power eight way driver's seat
    - AM/FM stereo radio with CD player and 6 speakers
    - AM/FM stereo radio with cassette player, CD player and 6 speakers
    - AM/FM stereo radio with cassette player, CD player and Infinity Acoustic 10 speaker system
    - AM/FM cassette player with 4-disc, in-dash CD changer and Infinity Acoustic 10 speaker system
    - Sport Touring Group: 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS, bodyside molding, woodgrain instrument panel bezel, fog lamps, 160-amp alternator, leather wrapped steering wheel, touring suspension, 215/65R16 LBL All Season Touring tires and 16" Europa aluminum wheels

GRAND CARAVAN SPORT FWD - F PACKAGE

STANDARD
    Same as Caravan Sport FWD

OPTIONAL OR WITH H OR K ORDER PACKAGES
    Same as Caravan Sport FWD options, plus:
    - Climate Group III - Sunscreen glass, manual tri zone temperature control, rear air conditioning and particulate air filter
    - Center removable console with power outlet
    - Power liftgate (requires Remote Keyless Entry and power passenger sliding door)
    - Trailer Tow Group - 160 amp alternator, 600 amp battery, 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS, heavy-duty engine cooling, load levelling and height control suspension, full size spare tire and trailer tow wiring harness

GRAND CARAVAN ES FWD - P PACKAGE

STANDARD
    Same as Grand Caravan Sport FWD, plus:
    - Tri zone automatic temperature control with particulate air filter
    - 160 amp alternator
    - Front and intermediate passenger assist handles
    - Sunscreen glass
    - Power four wheel disc brakes
    - Overhead console with trip computer
    - Driver side power sliding door
    - Passenger side power sliding door
    - Fog lamps
    - HomeLink® Universal Transceiver: Programmable, 3 function, with remote controls for garage door opener, interior/exterior home lighting and security devices
    - Intermediate Quad Command roller bucket seats and rear 50/50 split bench seats
    - Power eight-way driver's seat
    - Premium cloth seat trim
    - AM/FM cassette player with 4-disc, in-dash CD changer and Infinity Acoustic 10 speaker system
    - 215/65R16 LBL All-Season Touring tires
    - 16" Europa aluminum wheels

OPTIONAL OR WITH S ORDER PACKAGE
    Same as Grand Caravan Sport FWD options, plus:
    - 215 hp 3.8L V6 with 4 speed automatic and 600 amp battery
    - 215 hp 3.8L V6 with 4 speed AutoStick and 600 amp battery
    - Center removable console with power outlet
    - Power liftgate (requires Remote Keyless Entry and power passenger sliding door)
    - Automatic day/night mirror
    - Front heated seats (requires leather seat trim)
    - Leather seat trim
    - Steering wheel mounted audio controls
    - Touring suspension
    - 215/60R17 BSW All-Season Touring tires
    - Low speed traction control
    - 17" Chrome Titan chrome aluminum wheels

GRAND CARAVAN SPORT AWD - H PACKAGE

STANDARD
    Same as Grand Caravan Sport FWD H Package, plus:
    - 215 hp 3.8L V6 with 4 speed automatic
    - Tri zone temperature control with particulate air filter
    - Power four wheel disc brakes
    - Fog lamps
    - Sport Touring Group: 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS, bodyside molding, woodgrain instrument panel bezel, fog lamps, 160-amp alternator, leather wrapped steering wheel, touring suspension, 215/65R16 LBL All Season Touring tires and 16" Europa aluminum wheels

OPTIONAL
    Same as Grand Caravan Sport FWD H Package options

GRAND CARAVAN ES AWD - P PACKAGE

STANDARD
    Same as Grand Caravan ES FWD P Package, plus:
    - 600 amp battery

OPTIONAL OR WITH S ORDER PACKAGE
    Same as Grand Caravan ES FWD P Package, minus:
    - Touring suspension
    - Low speed traction control
    - 17" Chrome Titan chrome aluminum wheels
  • maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    Doesnt sound that different than 2000. I bit on the 2000 - rebates and invoice price too hard to resist. At these prices I can probably replace my transmission twice for what I saved over other minivans. Lots of luxury in this T&C
  • cesarpcesarp Posts: 47
    That is probably because the dual temperature zone is being replaced with triple temperature zone for the 2001 models. Also, as you pointed out, torque of 3.3L is respectfull at 210 Ft. Lbs. and an optional 3.8L rated at 215 HP with 245 Ft. Lbs. Now for the ultimate power, 3.5L rated at 230 HP and 255 Ft. Lbs. which might be available on the LE model (I'm only guessing). Like a lot of people, I was kind of waiting to see the 2001 model before making a purchase. But when DC had the 0.9% financing and a terrific sale on a 2000 Town & Country Limited AWD it was hard to pass up! Got wait another 12+ years before it is time to consider in replacing the 2000 model, oh well.
  • grathgrath Posts: 13
    Thanks for the trim info.Do you know when the 3.5 motor will be available?
    carleton1 - I found the information at the Dodge site (www.4adodge.com/caravan/frameset_caravan.html), and I myself was wondering if this is the full line-up or if this is just preliminary specs. I;m going for the latter, as Dodge has always had a full line up, with the Base, SE, Sport, GC Base, GC SE, GC Sport, GC LE, GC ES, GC Sport AWD, GC LE AWD and GC ES AWD. That's 11 different combinations of trim levels, wheelbases and drive formats. I only saw 6 combos for '01 at the site, which is too much of a reduction for DC to follow through with. And with those 6 combinations comes only 14 order packages. The SE variants were always the DC best sellers, so it just doesn't make sense that they cut back availability this much, AND continue to not offer the 3.8L V6 for the SE's and Sport's (in the US, lucky Canadians). DC has always offered the more powerful motors in respective classes, so it doesn't make sense not to offer the 3.8L to SE buyers. Obviously DC wants customers to upgrade and buy an LE or ES if they want more power, but customers will buy another make (eg. Ford or Honda) that offers more power for the money. Maybe the engine availability in the US corresponds to US-only CAFE standards and restrictions which DC is having problems meeting?

However, I am glad to hear that DC will offer 4 wheel disc brakes on Trailer Tow-prepped, performance and premium FWD models in addition to AWD. I have a '98 T&C LXi AWD and the lease is up next August. AWD is nice, but where I live, I only benefit from it when it rains. So for me, it's not worth the extra money, even with the 4 wheel discs and multi-leaf rear suspension. My van just happened to be the last '98 T&C available in the province. I would have got a '99 T&C Limited, but there was no special lease rate available.

cesarp - According to DC, there are 4 different HVAC setups:

- Manual
    - Dual zone (driver/front passenger) with NEW particulate air filter
    - Tri zone (driver/front passenger/rear) with particulate air filter
    NEW - Automatic tri zone (driver/front passenger/rear) with particulate air filter

And again, these specs may be only preliminary and not finalized, so I would expect changes.

grath - At this time, the 230 hp, 250 lb-ft torque 3.5L V6 is limited to mid-'01 production T&C Limited's until engine production can be increased. Or maybe the 3.5L is limited to T&C Ltds. UNTIL mid-'01 production, I'm not positive. The 3.5L V6 must also be shared with the Prowler, 300M, LHS and Intrepid R/T, in which it is the only available engine.

For those of you interested in purchasing an '01 model, the Windsor minivan plant will begin production of the all-new Chrysler Grand Voyager and Grand Caravan on July 24th. The high end Chrysler Town & Country and the budget priced Chrysler Voyager and Dodge Caravan won't start rolling off the line until October 2nd.

And one '02 minivan change has already been announced, and that is the availability of a power moonroof.
    is expanding dramatically in '01 with the demise of Plymouth. DC HAS TO rationalize the number of offerings so they are not just allowing everything at both Dodge and Chrysler dealers. The Chrysler offerings will expand to come down-market to help fill the Plymouth void and Dodge variants will be reduced and more specialized to create market differentiation. Dodge has always been the performance division so you will see some emphasis there, probably in the form of an R/T minivan in late '01 or '02. The Dodge dealers screamed bloody murder about the 3.5 going only to Chrysler brands and got the Intrepid R/T.
  • maximamaxima Posts: 19
    honda should use the CL type S engine on the odyssey soon and nissan might use the pathfinder's engine on the upcoming minivan
  • maximamaxima Posts: 19
    oh well every car have problems..... I don't really care I had bad experience wtih DC and this is going to be my first honda.. maybe it will be last honda
    I have been in my uncle's dodge grand caravan sport 1999 like 20 times and I know its a good van and it had no problem... but having the third row seat is like a must and we can get odyssey for $800 over invoice...
    my dad drives the van he needs my help everytime taking the back seat off like twice a week its really annoying both of us hate it
  • CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT THE AUTO STICK FEATURE ON THE DC VAN TRANSMISSIONS. I CAN'T FIND A WHOLE LOT OF INFO. ON IT. IS IT USEFUL? OR A POTENTIAL PROBLEM? I AM WAITING TO HEAR FROM A DEALERSHIP ON HOW SOON I CAN ORDER A 2001. THEY APPARENTLY STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED THE ORDERING CODES.
  • scannerscanner Posts: 295
    The 2001 I saw at my local autoshow had a ceiling mounted LCD entertainment installed in it. Does anyone know if this is going to be a factory installed option or will it be a after market Mopar accessory?
    I don't have AutoStick in my vans, but I also own a '99 300M with 43,000+ miles. In the M, the AS is a very useful feature and while on the surface, it doesn't sound that useful in a van, I can think of a couple. I routinely use AS to downshift as I'm slowing, particularly from high speeds. I like to protect the brakes from hard use at high speeds because disks are pretty easy to warp. I could also see AS being useful in mountain driving (both up and downhill) where you wanted to hold it in gear to maintain certain RPM or again, use engine braking rather than brakes.
  • rbacsafrarbacsafra Posts: 85
    indydriver,

you would rather ruin your transmission first before your brakes? i believe brakes are cheaper than a new transmission. Downshifting from high speeds wreaks havoc on your tranny. i would never do such a thing.
  • cesarpcesarp Posts: 47
    As Indydriver pointed out, in "manual" mode the driver has a little more control of the transmission, such as holding at certain gear when mountain driving or selecting when to shift. However, the controller monitors all activity of the transmission and will overide any driver setting if it senses any damage being done. But the biggest advantage of the Autostick is the ability to use second or third gear from a dead stop (nice feature for snow). I've an Autostick on my 97 Eagle Vision TSi and it has been virtually trouble free in three years and 48000 miles. In bumper-to-bumper traffic, I routinely leave select manual mode and leave it in second gear.
  • scannerscanner Posts: 295
    Looks like trim levels drop from 5 for year 2000 (Base, SE, Sport, LE, ES) to 3 for year 2001 (SE, Sport, ES).

The 2001 SE seems to be the new entry lever model replacing the older Base model. The new 2001 SE appears to only be available in the short wheelbase length with 150HP 3.0L and 180HP 3.3L engine options.

The 2001 Sport appears to absorb the options of the previous SE + Sport, and is available in both short and extended lengths. The 215HP 3.8L engine and AWD are available for the extended length Sport models.

The top of the line extended length only 2001 ES seems to replace the previous LE & ES models, and is available fully loaded with every option imaginable under the sun except the 3.5L 230 HP engine. I bet Dodge will offer the 230 HP 3.5L in a Caravan R/T model at a later date; got to leave something for future production. ;-)

Something interesting I noticed on the options list was the mention of side airbags for the "REAR" occupants. Anyone know if this is true?

Now all we need is for Edmund's to provide pricing information for the new 2001 options so we can see how things stack up.

http://www.4adodge.com/caravan2001/specs/specs_optional.html
    I won't ruin either. Have you never driven a manual transmission in a car or motorcycle? It is routine practice to downshift to slow via engine braking or to match revs and powerband for a corner. This is what sporting driving is all about!

Do you have a DC vehicle with AutoStick? I do and I'm here to tell you its most useful when DEcelerating. Acceleration is faster, more efficient and smoother leaving it in auto mode and just putting your foot to the floor.