Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• maximamaxima Posts: 19
    oh well every car have problems..... I don't really care I had bad experience wtih DC and this is going to be my first honda.. maybe it will be last honda
    I have been in my uncle's dodge grand caravan sport 1999 like 20 times and I know its a good van and it had no problem... but having the third row seat is like a must and we can get odyssey for $800 over invoice...
    my dad drives the van he needs my help everytime taking the back seat off like twice a week its really annoying both of us hate it
  • CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT THE AUTO STICK FEATURE ON THE DC VAN TRANSMISSIONS. I CAN'T FIND A WHOLE LOT OF INFO. ON IT. IS IT USEFUL? OR A POTENTIAL PROBLEM? I AM WAITING TO HEAR FROM A DEALERSHIP ON HOW SOON I CAN ORDER A 2001. THEY APPARENTLY STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED THE ORDERING CODES.
  • scannerscanner Posts: 295
    The 2001 I saw at my local autoshow had a ceiling mounted LCD entertainment installed in it. Does anyone know if this is going to be a factory installed option or will it be a after market Mopar accessory?
  • indydriverindydriver Posts: 620
    I don't have AutoStick in my vans, but I also own a '99 300M with 43,000+ miles. In the M, the AS is a very useful feature and while on the surface, it doesn't sound that useful in a van, I can think of a couple. I routinely use AS to downshift as I'm slowing, particularly from high speeds. I like to protect the brakes from hard use at high speeds because disks are pretty easy to warp. I could also see AS being useful in mountain driving (both up and downhill) where you wanted to hold it in gear to maintain certain RPM or again, use engine braking rather than brakes.
  • rbacsafrarbacsafra Posts: 85
    indydriver,

you would rather ruin your transmission first before your brakes? i believe brakes are cheaper than a new transmission. Downshifting from high speeds wreaks havoc on your tranny. i would never do such a thing.
  • cesarpcesarp Posts: 47
    As Indydriver pointed out, in "manual" mode the driver has a little more control of the transmission, such as holding at certain gear when mountain driving or selecting when to shift. However, the controller monitors all activity of the transmission and will overide any driver setting if it senses any damage being done. But the biggest advantage of the Autostick is the ability to use second or third gear from a dead stop (nice feature for snow). I've an Autostick on my 97 Eagle Vision TSi and it has been virtually trouble free in three years and 48000 miles. In bumper-to-bumper traffic, I routinely leave select manual mode and leave it in second gear.
    Looks like trim levels drop from 5 for year 2000 (Base, SE, Sport, LE, ES) to 3 for year 2001 (SE, Sport, ES).

The 2001 SE seems to be the new entry lever model replacing the older Base model. The new 2001 SE appears to only be available in the short wheelbase length with 150HP 3.0L and 180HP 3.3L engine options.

The 2001 Sport appears to absorb the options of the previous SE + Sport, and is available in both short and extended lengths. The 215HP 3.8L engine and AWD are available for the extended length Sport models.

The top of the line extended length only 2001 ES seems to replace the previous LE & ES models, and is available fully loaded with every option imaginable under the sun except the 3.5L 230 HP engine. I bet Dodge will offer the 230 HP 3.5L in a Caravan R/T model at a later date; got to leave something for future production. ;-)

Something interesting I noticed on the options list was the mention of side airbags for the "REAR" occupants. Anyone know if this is true?

Now all we need is for Edmund's to provide pricing information for the new 2001 options so we can see how things stack up.

http://www.4adodge.com/caravan2001/specs/specs_optional.html
  • indydriverindydriver Posts: 620
    I won't ruin either. Have you never driven a manual transmission in a car or motorcycle? It is routine practice to downshift to slow via engine braking or to match revs and powerband for a corner. This is what sporting driving is all about!

Do you have a DC vehicle with AutoStick? I do and I'm here to tell you its most useful when DEcelerating. Acceleration is faster, more efficient and smoother leaving it in auto mode and just putting your foot to the floor.
    my friend's acura 3.2 TL does sound pretty cool when he does downshift that way via sportshift mode. He does have a 00 with the 5spd auto. Even if the computer did sense any abnormalities in rev and shifts, you are still putting strain on the tranny reguardless. I wouldn't totally rely on the computer because DC transmissions like in our 96 GC LE with 140,000 miles used to lock into limp home mode 2nd gear for no reason after we had the tranny replaced. It has not acted up since after we got the computer replaced. I'm not trying to argue anything. I have had 5spd manuals and of course it sounds cool when you downshift to slow down....but then again, your tranny works way harder! =)
    ....by the way......soon it will be time to retire our 96 GC LE w/140,000 miles. We did buy it back in Aug of 95...maybe after 5 years, its time to replace it with a 01 GC ES perhaps candy apple red or silver with the 17" chrome rims?
  • StrategoStratego Posts: 29
    According to a DC press release:
    http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/news/top/2000/t00629_e.htm
    you are referring to the Mopar Rear Seat Video® entertainment system option. From the sounds of it, I think it is installed by the dealership. Was the vehicle you saw at the autoshow an Inferno Red GC ES? The one at my show was roped off, but I don't remember seeing the video console. The PT Cruiser SHOULD have been roped off, as one of them wasn't nearly enough. I never saw fewer than 30 people at a time gawking at the car.

More info on the new AV system, which can also be retrofitted to 98-00 minivans, can be found at:
    http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/news/n091499.htm
  • pilotpatpilotpat Posts: 18
    OK, I'm not an engineer, but I play one on TV. The appropriate time to use the engine for braking is as stated above - during extended downhills in the mountains. Riding your brakes as you do that will cause excessive heat buildup - leading to fading and/or warped rotors. This, in turn, could lead to bent metal. Brake fade is much more pronounced, by the way, in drum brakes vs. disc brakes.

Downshifting prior to every stop light in the suburbs, however, will cause undue stress on the tranny - and as stated before, brake linings are cheaper than transmission overhauls.
    Indydriver,

Can I assume by your name that you are from the home of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? If so, then enough said. Enjoy your autostick!

BTW, is Eli Lilly still experimenting on the homeless? ;-)
  • HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO PLACE AN ORDER FOR THE 2001 CARAVANS YET? I HAVE ONE DEALER IN IDAHO THAT CLAIMS THAT THEY CAN, WHILE MY LOCAL DEALERS IN OREGON AND WASHINGTON SAY NOT YET? WHO TO BELIEVE........ THE DEALER IN IDAHO(D. SMITH MOTORS) WANTS $500 UP FRONT TO PLACE THE ORDER. I'M NOT REALLY SURE THAT THEY ARE ABLE TO PLACE THE ORDER LIKE THEY CLAIM; THEY JUST MAY WANT MY COMMITTMENT. THERE WOULD BE NO WAY OF KNOWING IF THEY DID PLACE THE ORDER. ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES?
  • gcintendergcintender Posts: 36
    Today (July 17th) IS the first day for orders for the 2001 Grand Caravan only. The Windsor, ON plant where they're assembled starts 2001 production next Monday. The Caravan plant in St. Louis won't start up again til the end of September, for some reason. I was just at a dealer today and got the order code sheets for the FWD and AWD GC.

If you order now, your dealer can send it in along with his initial allocation for stock. He may want the deposit, but it doesn't mean you have to give it to him. If you seem serious enough and then don't end up taking the car, he can just add it to his own allocation. Keep in mind that you'll have to do all this without benefit of price information, since the Preliminary Prices haven't been released yet.
  • grathgrath Posts: 13
    Thanks gcintender.Did you hear any word on when the 3.5 Limiteds will be manufactured?
    Best info right now has it being available in the T & C Limited only in January 2001.
  • dwgdwg Posts: 43
    I think I know the answer to this question based on your previous post, but I'll ask anyway. When are the Town & Countries scheduled to begin production? I assume that the Windsor and St. Louis plants build all of the Chrysler minivans.

I ask because my wife's lease on her '97 T&C runs out in early September. We were planning on leasing a 2001 in the fall when the new models are typically introduced. We might have to change those plans if the wait will be much longer than that (unless I can extend the lease on a month-to-month basis).

dwg
    Depends on which model you're going after - the Limited will be delayed production (possibly into September); the LX & LXi go into production next week, along with all the Grand Caravan variations.

You're correct about the plants - Windsor and St. Louis split the vans, with St. Louis handling the short wheelbase models.
  • dwgdwg Posts: 43
    Thanks for the info.

dwg
  • HAS ANYONE SEEN PRICE CODES FOR THE 2001 CARAVAN? MY LOCAL DEALER SAYS THAT HE WILL SELL ME ONE FOR $3OO OVER DEALER INVOICE. WHAT I WANT IS A 2001 GRAND CARAVAN ES W/ THE 3.8L AUTOSTICK, INFERNO RED TINTED PEARL COAT, POWER LIFTGATE, SECURITY SYSTEM, AND TOW PACKAGE. HE QUOTED ME $30,000 EVEN FOR THIS. I WASN'T AT THE DEALERSHIP WHEN HE MADE THE QUOTE, SO I DIDN'T SEE HIS CODES TO KNOW WHETHER THIS IS $300 OVER INVOICE.
  • kpost2kpost2 Posts: 3
    Anyone have any info on the timing of the 2001 T&C LMT with all-wheel drive. I called 5 different dealers in my area and got answers ranging from end of september to mid-october to november. My old car is on its last legs and I hate to put more money into it while I wait... Any info would be appreciated.

Kelly
  • I just happened to stop into a Chrysler dealer today to inquire about the T & C, and interrupted the sales manager as he was making out his first orders for these vans. He genuinely seemed to know not much, but I inferred that the timing depends on how you intend to buy - order or from dealer stock. If you are ordering now (and by now, I mean the next day or two), there's some possibility you can have the car shortly after Labor Day. Waiting for dealer stock will take longer, and the end of September seems about right.

The model you buy has some bearing on this as well, since I believe the AWDs will trail the others by several weeks. Initial production concentrates on models that will form the bulk of a dealer's sales, and since the AWD had a production run of about 5% of the total in 2000, they naturally have a lower priority.

As far as price goes, the delaers are just making educated guesses at this point. In the example above (very good choices, by he way!) $300 over invoice seems about right (that's what I intend to shoot for myself), but I suspect the $30,000 figure may be $200.00 to $300.00 too high.

Good luck to all the DC prospects, and I hope I've been of some help!
  • In case you haven't seen it, check out dodge's site for the movie presentation of the new caravan and specs.

Too bad the 3.4 ltr is not available. Does anyone have an idea when it might be?
  • grathgrath Posts: 13
    We know the Limited for 2001 will be available with the more powerful 3.5L from the 300M.Does anyone know when that option will be put into production?
  • Just saw in the 2001 Caravan website that the 2001 Dodge Caravan will offer three different types of engine. The 3.0L, 3.3L, and 3.8L V6 engine are all magnum engines that gives extra power and performance.

There will be only three trim levels available in the 2001 Dodge Caravan. SE, Sport, and ES are the only three trim levels starting in under $20,000 through under $35,000.

All of these are final answer on the info about the 2001 Dodge Caravan.
  • ...I think Walter has misread something on the site - the 3.0L has been dropped for 2001. The three available engines are the 2.4L Four (on the SWB only), the 3.3L, and the 3.8L V-6s. There's still hope for the 3.5L in the Grand Caravan, but it'll be at least mid-model year at the earliest til it's available.

And that's my final answer!
  • maximamaxima Posts: 19
    if they keep giving out rebates will they still make money?