Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• dsoiamdsoiam Posts: 32
    I wouldn't get those. I can't remember, do you have a caravan or T&C? I guess '01 T&C from your message. If so, you should already have front splash guards. Also, I'm sure that I saw '01 T&C guards on the web somewhere when I was searching. I'll see if I can remember where (I did a search for "mopar parts" on yahoo.com).

What I discovered from my search, and since have purchased and installed, is that the rear molded splash guards listed for the 01 Grand Caravan fit the '01 T&C very nicely. Only problem is that they only seem to come in black.
  • carleton1carleton1 Posts: 560
    Anyone have a web link to the latest information on the 2002 Voyager, Caravan, Grand Caravan and Town & Country? Thanks. Carl
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    Yes, I have the T&C Ltd. According to Dodge's website, Part#82206552 would fit both front and rear of a 2001 (is this the one you bought?). As you mentioned, our vans already have a front splash guards. I just curious where is the Part# 82206551 coming from and why it is not listed on Dodge's offical websit but in other wholesalers' websites.
  • orahovatsorahovats Posts: 7
    Hi guys,
    I have been following the posts but have not posted myself for some time.
    I have a 2001 ES AWD Dodge at 18000miles now.
    It is in service again today for
    1.Engine computer light came on. Codes said-torque converter is faulty. Needs replacement. However significant back order for torque converters. Service has said O.K. to drive until replaced.May take a week or more until the new part is available
    2.Had my rotors of my front wheels already turned once-I think slightly unusual as early as 18000 miles to get them warped-I am a highway driver mostly. /My old Caravan 98 had the same problem at 55000miles/Service suggested that new materials are being used in the 2001 minivans...
    3.D/W Daimler Chrysler's customer service fuel leak issue from recent crash test results-was officially told that there is no problem identified. The redesign for 2002 consists of strengthening the front body structure not the fuel and gas tanks.
    Also was told that there is no recall underway for my specific van that was produced in Aug/Sept2000
    The cooling fans continue to be felt-still no solution...
    Droning sound at 2100 rpms still there but not so prominent in the heat.
    Doubt if I should continue using Chrysler products despite very good service from my dealer so far.
  • 4aodge4aodge Posts: 288
    Orahovats, it sounds like your 01 DGC ES is suffering from the typical, annoying first model-year production problems. I have a friend who bought a 96 DGC LE in 1995 when the 3rd generation DC minivans were first being introduced, and he has had numerous problems with his van. Including a battery that exploded right after the ignition was turned on and a transmission that has been rebuilt about 2 times. They now have over 200,000 miles on the van and still take it up to Lake Tahoe despite the problems they've had with it. Anyway, if you really like your vehicle I would recommend dealing with the current problems and wait it out. Who knows? Maybe after all of your current troubles with the van are fixed it will run like a charm and will remain trouble-free for some time. You never know with these cars, especially the ones built during the first model-year after a major redesign.

-Adam (16/M/CA)
    Proud Owner of a 2000 Town & Country LX
    Currently @ 25k miles; No Problems
  • dsoiamdsoiam Posts: 32
    Here's a place that I found on the web and phoned. They had it in stock but I did not order from them (I ended up getting from the dealer that I purchased the van from).

http://chryslerpartsnet.com/tollfree.html

There was also another place that I spoke with in Texas but I can't find their info.

Most of the places that I found were just regular dealerships that sell for less over the internet. The two places that I called had the molded guards, but I kind of had to talk them through finding them (by continuing to tell them that I knew they were out there cause I had the picture catalogue). Then, when I went to my dealer to get them, I did notice that they were not listed with the flat guards for the T&C, they were listed somewhere else in the book (1 or 2 pages back if I recall).

I didn't look back to see, but if that part number that you don't see anywhere is the part number that I gave for mine, they certainly fit. I would take pictures to show you but I don't have any film right now.

My only warning with them, if it matters to you, is not to put them on a light colored van. Mine is steel blue -- dark enough so that the front ones look close in color to the black ones in the back. If a van is white/gold or some other light color, it will really be noticable that the back guards are a bit out of place (cause the front guards would be light and the rear guards would be black).

Some people may not even care because they do what they're supposed to -- they help keep dirt off the lower rear of the van. But, until D-C comes out with the body colored ones (and who knows when/if that will be?) they do fit and work well enough for what they do. This color issue may not matter to others.

That part number that I gave was straight off of the box that the guards came in.

• tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    Thank you Dsoiam, that was one of the sites that I went and they don't carry the molded splash guards listed on the web however the same company listed the two part numbers I mentioned on its other website http://dodgepartsnet.com. My LTD is Patriot Blue so the splash guards would blend in nicely.
  • jondotjondot Posts: 63
    I've been a DGC driver - '88 and '96 models. Will I be sorry if I drop down to shorter version after so long in the big one? I am thinking about the '02 models when they arrive this fall.
  • bettygbettyg Posts: 9
    I, too, had the LWB vans for the past 10 years. Our last one was a 96 T&CLX. We traded it in for a 2001 dodgesport which we ordered fully equipped. We are very happy with this van...the ride is not as smooth as the LWB but it handles much better and parks a lot easier. We are now empty nesters and retired, so did not need the extra room. We tumble the split seats forward and leave them in that position...it gives plenty of room for luggage or groceries. I wish DC would offer leather and a few other options but otherwise we are very satisfied.
  • odd1odd1 Posts: 227
    Just remember that shorter wheel bases in vans, trucks, and suvs have a higher chance of roll over in an accident regardless of who the manufacturer is due to the higher center of gravity of these vehicles.
  • odd1odd1 Posts: 227
    Thanks for the correction.
  • shaker58shaker58 Posts: 120
    dealer wants 150 for ft pads anybody know a cheaper place plus labor
  • orahovatsorahovats Posts: 7
    Well this weekend the transmission of my new 2001 ES AWD/ with autostick and 18000 miles /Dodge broke down. Initially it locked into 3rd after hearing a loud clunk. We pulled over luckily in a gas station while we could still move. Once we stopped no other movement was possible. We were towed.
    The service department went out of their way on a Saturday afternoon to help.
    Today they told me the whole transmission needs to be replaced.
    Sad weekend...
  • 4aodge4aodge Posts: 288
    that really is unfortunate that your trany keeps acting up in your new gc es awd. i would be willing to bet that if you called or wrote chrysler about your problems, they would be more than willing to help. especially with their new leadership and "quality commitment" that is now being put into action. also, your van isnt even out of warranty yet.

if i were you, i would ask for a new van. plain and simple. while this many seem impossible and unrealistic, who knows!? chrysler could do anything, including replacing your obviously defective minivan.

hope this helps. good luck in the future!

-adam (16/m/ca)
    00 town and country lx
  • scleggsclegg Posts: 1
    My 2001 Chrysler Voyager mini van is only 5 months old and has already had the transmission replaced. It still seems to be bad, making slipping sounds, slow to take off and has occasional sounds like something hitting the underside. It has had the rear wiper motor and air bag clock spring replaced. There has also been a recall of a door latch completed on it. The service folks have been making and honest effort at fixing the problems, but I no longer trust the van. I feel I have purchased a LEMON and would like it replaced.
  • palmerpalmer Posts: 33
    I am new to this forum. My apologies if my question is answered in previous posts. I am looking to buy a 2001 LXi with 2U (includes leather) and 29U (includes 3.8L engine) packages. For those that have bought this model, wanted to see what are the prices you paid or if anyone knows if there are good internet sites to buy these vehicles at the best prices.
  • cgaydoscgaydos Posts: 116
    Suggest you read the past 6 or so months of history in the T&C news group first, then post your question there.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Palmer, the Chrysler Town & Country discussion topic can be found by clicking here.

Happy posting!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,312
    "On balance, Phil felt the Dodge compared favorably to the Honda Odyssey in most categories except the cost."

The Long-Term Road Test has been updated in the past couple of days. The link is in the Additional Resources box on the left navigation bar.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Buy the GC EX for about the same price as the Ody EX...and get more Horsepower and Torque in a bigger engine. Compare the options and notice all the extra, nice comfort and convenience items.
    However, since many of Edmund's editors are overwelmed by the "Magic Seat" of the Odyssey, many of them do not notice the VERY nice comfort of the separately controlled air temperature for the driver and front passenger. They also do not notice the very nice complete overhead console with Compass and Outside Temperature. (I think DC should have the Trip Computer feature optional on EVERY DC minivan...it is on our 99 GC SE).
    I will be driving my sister's 2001 Ody EX today to take their houseguests to the airport. I will then drive it on the Interstate where speed limit is 75 MPH to see how it is at highway speed.
    (I asked for and got permission to do the road test).
    The 2001 DC minivan seats in the lowest price level are much improved over the 96-00 years and are now as comfortable as the better trim level seats were in those years and now also as comfortable as the Odyssey and Sienna seats.
    If DC will put the complete overhead console option in all DC minivans, we might get a 2002 DC and sell our outstanding 99 GC SE to our oldest daughter and her husband. After owning a 1988 Voyager LE, my sister would love to once more have a DC minivan.
    Sigh. Why is it reviewers insist on judging vehicle cost by MSRP? I pointed out in the T&C forum a month or so ago that the carsdirect.com quote for a T&C Ltd was LESS than the carsdirect.com quote for an Odyssey EX/Nav, even though the MSRP for the T&C was $7500 more.

The GC in your long term test is, in street-price terms, comparable to the Odyssey EX. At least it is so in S. Cal, where Edmunds bought it.
    Not only that, you'd think the editors here would be using the True Market Value for the numbers.

Here's another link for you : Send a Letter to the Editors.

Steve
    Host

I DID sent a letter to the editors on this topic in mid-June. Didn't get published. I put a copy of the letter on the T&C board (or might have been one of the other van boards, but without cross-board searching capability I can't easily tell).

Thanks anyway for the suggestion. Maybe you can ask why the letter didn't get published.
    Oh yeah, I sorta remember that. I think you're too nice - I guess you're gonna have to get sarcastic or abusive in your letter to get someone's attention. Don't tell 'em I sent you. :-)

Steve
    Host

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    I think they use MSRP because that is the only way that they can make a fair comparison that applies across the entire country. Since there are different incentives or prices in different markets, it's quite difficult to give a below MSRP figure other. Other auto magazines also use MSRP as a comparison, even Consumer Reports.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I understand your point. MSRP is the only "objective" price. Not only do prices vary regionally, but even at the same dealership the price can vary by thousands on the identical car depending on how well the customer negotiates.

Nevertheless, I believe reviewers should be aware of typical selling prices and include that information when making comments regarding cost. Accuracy counts.
    Isn't TMV supposed to be the price people are paying for a vehicle?
    My sister and brother in law recently bought a NEW Taffeta White Odyssey EX for $26,660 (MSRP $26,840 less $180). On the date they bought it, Edmunds had a TMV $28,120 for a NEW 2001 Odyssey EX in our zip code.
    Although Edmunds is providing us with a great service in the Town Hall, it appears that Edmund's TMV is not reliable and very misleading.
    Surprisingly it was a plain SE with only one option: Rear Defroster $195. MSRP of this 2002 Caravan SE is $19,155 + $195 Rear Def + $640 Destination = $19,990.
    2002 Caravan SE MSRP of $19,155 is $5 LESS than the 2001 Caravan SE.
    I would not want a 2.4L 4 cyl in a minivan but there are many who want a 7 passenger minivan with air conditioning, automatic, PS, PB, etc. and have a limited budget. DaimlerChrysler has not forgotten these less affluent people.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Posts: 128
    I read in the Boston Globe on Saturday that the 2002 Odyssey will come standard with 240 hp and a 5 speed automatic transmission among other improvements. Supposedly, the 2002's are will be available this month, but September sounds more reasonable. In addition, Honda has a new plant on line that will eventually produce an additional 120,000 Odyssey's per year.

Having said that, I would expect that rebates are going to increase for competing models. If you're thinking of buying a Chrysler minivan and you don't need one right now, I'd wait til late Fall. You may get a good deal.

Carlton1, I agree about the base SE models. I think it is great that Chrysler makes a basic version. $25k - $30k for a minivan is alot of money for many folks. Considering that the base SE if often discounted, you might be able to get one for $16k, about the price for a decent compact car.