Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• Another feature that no one has mentioned is that if you remove the third row seat headrests you can fold and tilt the 3rd row split seats up against the second row seats without removing them. Use only the 1 and 2 latches and not latch 3.The headrests fit under the folded 3rd seats. I have used this when the large screen TV I was picking up needed a mite more room to be transported with the right side up.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    That is cool! Do you know if that works with the short vans as well as the Grand vans?
  • If you can get the short wheelbase van with 50/50 3rd seats, it will work. I'm not sure if the 60/40 or full bench will do this.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    On the way home last night, my wife commented about how great it was that we could remove half the bench for storage and that it is much better than the solid bench we had before. I've never tried removing the headrests and storing it forward--like on a PT Cruiser. I'll look into it. Would be handy when you end up buying more than you expected to on a Target run or something!

Also, I'm sure you knew what I meant above, but I wrote the words "in" and "out" backward in reference to the usage of the seat in either position. Obviously.
    I found a '04 Caravan SXT with the split rear seat and took it for a drive today. The good news is that the rear seat really is easy to fold and get in and out of the van, as noted earlier. The bad news is that the seat back does not recline. There wouldn't be enough head room for it to recline much, anyway. And it is not a place I'd want to sit in the middle for any length of time. But the outboard positions were fine.

The real bad news for me is that there is only one '04 Caravan SXT with the split rear seat and ABS in my region. The dealer is willing to order it, but did not offer me the kind of deal I would need to cancel the order on my Prius. They offered $19,500, which is a good discount but only about $1000 less than the Prius I have on order, which will save me about $600 a year in fuel.

I also checked out the new '05 T&C with Stow and Go seating--I'll post that in the '05 Caravan discussion. Bottom line is, I think the stowable seats are very clever, but not worth a $5000 premium over the '04 vans IMO--which is what the difference is right now between a '04 and '05 Grand Caravan SXT.
    Also remember that the stow and go seats are LWB only. Just get what will work best for your situation and you'll do just fine. Good luck!
    Yes that's right. If I want a short van with stowable seats, looks like the only option is the MPV.
    Have any of you 2001 to 2003 Voyager owners (of course, I may be the only one here) seen the front end of the 2005 Town & Country? Except for headlights with a slightly different shape, it looks EXACTLY like the front of of our van! We had the winged logo on the top edge of the grill and T&C vans had a "fancier" winged logo in the center of the grill. The new vans have the same grill as my van now. I love it, current T&C owners will probably hate it.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Not only the grille and lights are changed, but the whole front bumper cover is different. The lower grille is different and it has no separate licence plate holder as that is now integrated into the cover.From the rear, the exhaust pipe exits from the drivers side instead of the passenger side. The spare is stored under the front passenger seat under the van to make room for the stow and go folding seats.
    I did not notice that. That changes everything--except that the nose still looks like the front end of a 2001-2003 Voyager. Yeah, the little chrome looking strip is different and the flat spot to hold a plate is different and the fog lights are different; but, from a glance while driving down the road, they will look a lot like each other.
  • kinikini Posts: 2
    My 2001 Dodge Caravan (AWD) has an electrical problem. I have had it in to the Dodge dealer for this problem 3 times. The first time they said that it passed the electrical test and that they couldn't fix it unless I could duplicate the problem for them. The second time they found a TSB that told them that the computer needed to be re-programed. The third time they replaced the body control module. It is still doing it. The dash lights go on and off by themselves, the chime goes off even when the lights are off and the keys are out of the ignition, the tail lights and the parking lights flash sometimes too. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my van? The dealer is at a loss and just want to experiment at my expense.
    Thank you.
    Wow, I used to have a 2001 Chrysler Voyager (the Caravan twin) and the dash lights did some weird things a couple of times--but never like what you describe. Good luck getting it fixed!
  • kinikini Posts: 2
    Thank you UGA91. I took it to the Dodge dealer yesterday and they are replacing the headlight switch. We shall see or should I say not see flashing lights!
  • After owning this Caravan for 3.5 months and having it break down 3 times. We said good by to it. Last Wed. night I had my daughter and her friend in the car. We were on the highway and had to stop for a stop sign. I pulled onto the next highway, got it up to 50 Km and clicked resume on the cruise. Well the thing would not get over 80 Km. I had the gas peddle right down. It then lurched and went into the next gear. I told my husband about this and we decided to take it in for servicing. He found the transmission to be shifting long and rough. At the service dept. We were told the van was in limp mode. They wanted us to leave it for a few days so we said ok. They also said they could not give us a rental( even though we had the extended warrenty that covers a rental) because Chrysler was cracking down on them. We left there and later decided that enough was enough. We told them, you have it, keep it. Yes it will affect our credit but we could not see putting up with this. I did alot of research into Canadian law and found that if Chrysler kept taking the van in for service but was unable to find a problem and fix it, they were doing what is expected and we had no other recourse. Remember, this was our second Caravan in 10 months that was extremely problem prone. Trading the first one on the second one had put our payments quite high.
    I am glad no one else on this board is having these problems. I am back to driving a 10 year old vehicle that I feel safer driving since I know it is not going to leave me stranded. I bought auto club membership and I have a cell phone.
    Good luck to everyone with your Caravan.
    We left there and later decided that enough was enough. We told them, you have it, keep it. Yes it will affect our credit but we could not see putting up with this."

You are just abondoning it? That will put a HUGE hit on your credit.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Why ruin your credit on this issue? Abandoning it is not the proper option here. It is under warranty. Have them keep it and drive it until they experience the problem, then get them to fix it.

Then after it is fixed, if you decide you no longer want it, trade it in for what you want. Yes, you will take a depreciation hit, but better this than ruining your credit rating.

No lemon laws in Canada, eh?
  • What do you guys think is the most popular color? I am thinking of getting one, but I mostly see that green color, what color do you guys think look the best?
    Especially on the short-wheelbase van.
    My last one was the dark green. White is definitely cooler here in Georgia in the summer.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    The only negative to white is the addition of business names on many white minivans. Inferno Red appears on all Dodge advertising which gives it a little overkill.
  • I just received an 05 Caravan fleet vehicle. I was not able to add the center removable console as an option prior to receiving the van. According to the Dodge website, the console will cost me $205. Does anyone know if the console is the same on previous year models? I was going to check local scrapyards to see if I can pick one up. An ebay search was unsuccessful.

Is the factory console worth $205? There are some aftermarkets out there by Wolf for around $100, but I don't know how good they are or how well they will match the interior. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  • jtheronjtheron Posts: 24
    I have seen several on ebay in the past. We bought another one new from our dealer for our 2004 T&C for around $115, price was not much different than used ones on ebay. If your adding it to the van you will need the mounting brackets and wiring which will cost more maybe thats the $205. Good Luck
    But how many Inferno Red Pearl vans do you actually see on the road? I don't see that many. But then I like red. White is psychologically cool but a little boring IMO unless it's a pearlescent. I read an article the other day from the color designer at GM that noted brighter colors are making a comeback, with the upturn in the economy and all. That means reds, oranges, even yellows! The ever-popular silver may drop a bit, at least according to this guy.
  • Thanks hayneldan & jtheron. Looks like I'm stuck with around $200 unless I can find one on ebay. The price through dodge is $125, and $123.50 through moparsupercenter.com. Once I add in the wiring kit and mounting bracket I'm right around $200. Not sure if I want to spend that on a company vehicle that I won't be keeping.
    spend my money on an upgrade for a company vehicle
  • That's kind of what I'm thinking too. On the other hand, I will have if for three years and the extra cup holders for my kid's drinks, cell phone holder, and extra locked storage space would be nice. I just wish I could find one for around $50 instead of $200!
    Check out Pep Boys or some other auto parts stores. WalMart might be a source too if all you are looking for is an extra cupholder or two and storage.
    Do a google.com search for minivan consoles. Plenty there at your price range and transferrable to the next minivan.
  • Thanks for the color suggestions, I currently have a 2003 Mazda6 red, but am looking at a Minivan for I have acquired a lot in kids (marriage) in a short period of time. Thanks everyone....