Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• giangian Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2001 Chrysler Voyager Van. It has 33000 miles on it. 3,000 of which I put on in the last 2 months. I love it. What type of oil and grade does anyone recommend for this van?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Well, if it uses the same as my 96 Caravan, you can use SAE 5-W-30 grade year round. I change my oil and filter myself and since it is so inexpensive to do myself, I change every 3000 miles as it is cheap insurance. Check your owners manual, it will tell you what grade.

It really doesn't matter much which brand, they all have to meet minimum industry established standards, I believe the rating is SJ now, or have they gotten to another level?

I tend to buy whatever name brand is on sale, Shell Mobil, Quakes State, whatever. With the mail in rebates that always seem to be available from the large chain auto parts stores included, I rarely spend more than 69 cents a quart.

You can buy oil filters typically for no more than $4-$5 per filter.

I don't bother with synthetic oils, I would rather change the oil oftener with inexpensive conventional oil so that I get all contamination out every oil change, rather than try to stretch my oil changes because of the expensive cost of synthetic oils.

You can buy oil change containers that make it easy to catch and take the used oil to your local recycling location. That and a few wrenches, ramps, and and oil filter wrench is all you need.

If you don't want to do it yourself you could probably easily go 5,000 miles between changes but I would still stick with non synthetic oil. Synyhetics are just too expensive for the marginal benefits, in my opinion.
  • giangian Posts: 2
    Thanks, so much badgerfan for your quick response. It confirmed some things, Have a great day!!!
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    >>>I don't bother with synthetic oils, I would rather change the oil oftener with inexpensive conventional oil so that I get all contamination out every oil change, rather than try to stretch my oil changes because of the expensive cost of synthetic oils.<<<

Badger,

Of course, because there are many who believe in synthetic motor oil like a religion, you're going to be considered a heretic. However, as a synthetic oil user myself I think you are unequivocally correct.

There is a point at which it is not cost effective nor the best for the engine to use synthetic motor oil for long durations. There are a number of factors to be considered, it is not a black-and-white issue as some would like to believe.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • My wife drives a 93 Grand Caravan that been a great van, other than a needed transmission replacement. The van just broke 100,000 miles (she drive less than 10,000 miles per year) and is going strong. I hate to replace the van if while it's been so trouble free.
    Anyway, the door open chime recently stayed on even with all doors properly closed and I can't seem to figure how to get it to shut off. Can I remove a fuse or just cut the wire? With the van as old as it is, I hate to bring it to the dealer for this service. What's the best way to fix this??
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    It is likely one of the door switches gone bad. If the design is similar to my 1996 Caravan, I had one of these switches on my driver side door go bad. It is literally a 5 minute job to remove one screw, take the switch off, pull off the wire connector and put it on the new switch and screw it back into place on the door frame.

All of the above applies to the 1996 generation, but assuming they carried over the door switch, it may be the same procedure.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,194
    Quiet in here; guess everyone's Caravan is running great.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I have a 2002 Chrysler T&C LX (that would in earlier days wear the Plymouth Grand Voyager SE). Wonderful minivan except for the uncomfortable driver's seat that has insufficient lower back support for me.
         I would prefer a 2005 Odyssey EX but $28,510 is about twice what I paid a few months ago for my T&C that had less than 27,000 one-owner miles.
         Edmunds Town Hall information gave me the courage to buy another Chrysler product after my 1970 Dodge van was the worst vehicle I ever owned.
  • smmhcsmmhc Posts: 10
    Have a dead 94 base model caravan. Dead due to transmission. Had an aftermarket tranny put in at 125K which only lasted to 140K. Other than that I have had to replace 2 batteries, have had one brake job, 2 sets of shocks/struts, and 2 sets of tires. Overall I believe the swb with a few added options (tilt/cruise, 3.0 engine, sunscreen glass, a/c, pwr locks/mirrors, rack) had better reliablility that the lwb loaded with goodies that seem to give many problems. Have just bought an 04 swb again with a few options. Hopefully this one will last as long and with as few problems as the 94. Thanks
    I drove a base 4 banger '89 Voyager for ten years. I had 3 head gaskets (all under warranty) and too many o2 sensors go out. Otherwise it was pretty good.

Was your replacement tranny covered by a warranty? 15,000 miles on it is pretty bad.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

And the '93 Taurus purchased after the '86 Caravan was sold had transmission failure at 135,000 miles. Taurus transmission failure rates exceed that of any other vehicle.
         Only complaint with 4 cyl '86 Caravan was lack of power. An '01 Camry replaced the '93 Taurus.
    DaimlerChrysler has a nasty habit of dropping models and entire lines. (Remember DeSoto, Imperial, and Plymouth?)

The model names within a brand change so often a person needs a computer to be able to list all the models dropped.
    hmmm, Daimler isn't even an option in the category list at the top of the page or on the New Cars pages. That could bite us one of these days, I suppose, but no one is searching for Mercedes-Benz either by hunting for DaimlerChrysler first.

Trying to keep up with all the current models, much less the retired names, is a real handful, and that's just in North America.

Steve, Host

Clarification: My post was to ridicule Chrysler for now calling the former Plymouth Voyager a Chrysler Town & Country.

I am disgusted with DaimlerChrysler and Chrysler for dropping entire lines of vehicles and for changing the names on vehicles currently in production.

When they dropped Plymouth and placed the name Chrysler on former Plymouth vehicles they effectively downgraded the Chrysler label.

In the olden days, a Chrysler was a luxury car like Cadillac or Lincoln and a Plymouth was an entry level like Ford or Chevrolet. A Chrysler Town & Country used to considered a luxury minivan.

Does anyone now think of Chrysler as a luxury vehicle? Calling the former Plymouth Voyager a Chrysler T&C has many people thinking a Town & Country is no more luxurious than a Kia Sedona.
    Ah, well, that just falls under marketing to me. Maybe there's a North American Mercedes minivan in DC's future?

Steve, Host

(former owner of a Plymouth Voyager)

• Have you ever heard of LaSalle (GM) Oldsmobile or Edsel (Ford) ?
    YES...but Edsel never had the number of customers that Plymouth had.

Just as stupid for GM to drop Oldsmobile as for Chrysler to drop Plymouth. GM's decision was more heinous because GM created Saturn and then dropped Oldsmobile. LaSalle was before my time.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    My 2003 Chrysler Voyager LX is still as smooth and quiet as they day I bought it (knock wood). I have absolutely no complaints with the van and am making no plans to replace it. It's my third DC van after a 1993 Dodge Caravan SE and a 2001 Chrysler Voyager (base model). Very pleased. BTW, hansiena, FWIW, I have only been in a couple of Sedonas, but I would say my Voyager LX with Quad Captain's Chairs is more luxurious than a Sedona. And I'm not bashing the Sedona--I bought a new Sephia in 1995 and drove it for 6.5 trouble free years, so I'm not anti-Kia when I say that about the Sedona.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    We have a 2001 GC ES with about 55,000 miles on it. Anytime we hit even a modest bump, there is a very noticeable clunk coming from the front end.

I went under there today and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I also tried jacking on the tires to see if there is any looseness and didn't find anything.

Any ideas?
  • I think we had the same problem. We have a 2001 GC EX with close to 55K. In Nov. we had the same problem. When going over bumps I could feel in the brake and accelerator paddle a slight vibration and heard the clunk. I checked all of the steering equipment too for any loose bolts or worn parts and found nothing. Took it in for the oil change and transmission flush and they replaced a part of the front suspension, I forgot the technical name but will post after looking at receipt. The ride is very smooth now, even over bumpy roads and very quite too.
    A Voyager is a nice vehicle but never had the "luxury" (or snob?) appeal of Town & Country just as Plymouth was never perceived to be an upscale sedan like Chrysler was for decades before the K cars were introduced.

When I looked at the 2002 Kia Sedona EX it appeared on the surface as luxurious and about the size of the 2002 Chrysler Voyager. However, a closer comparison showed that the Sedona EX lacked many of the nice features of the Chrysler Voyager.

I am very pleased with my 2002 Chrysler T&C LX but realize it is the re-incarnation of what was known for years as the Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. A 2000 Chrysler T&C LX was a MUCH nicer minivan than the 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE that sold as a Plymouth in late 1999 and was re-labeled the Chrysler Grand Voyager SE in January 2000.

None of the NEW 2005 Chrysler SWB T&C (that I have looked at)have a tachometer although the tachometer is standard on the Caravan SXT and not available on the Caravan SE.
    I agree with what you are saying. IMO, Chrysler's decision to: first, do away with the Plymouth name; and, then, second, to drop the Plymouth model names and turn them into versions of "Chrysler" versions was a bad decision all the way around. The "Town and Country" name was meant to separate them as being "nicer" than others of similar appearance. Now, with the old Voyager now called a Town and Country, I feel it is another step backward for the brand. I'm not saying that the vans are not good--I would not have bought 2 in the last 4 years if I thought that--I'm just saying that it takes the luster off the higher end vans when they have the same name as the low end vans.
    My local Dodge dealer is advertising a 2005 Caravan SXT with air, V6 and CD for $14,900. How can that be? A base model, maybe; but, don't SXT versions sticker around $22k? I wonder if it's a demo?
  • Did you read the fine print? Dealer loyalty, armed svcs., realtor among many "discounts"

You won't have to pay sticker, but probably about halfway between $15k and $22k
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Did you ever get a chance to check out the service receipt? My wife is taking the van on a trip to see family and I was hoping to fix whatever it is before she goes.
  • Aw man. I forgot to check the receipt. Thanks for reminding me. I will check it tonight and get back to you. (Got side tracked with Christmas)
    I'm sure it's some deal like that. They say "Price after all rebates." I'm sure that means with college grad, active duty military, senior citizen, whatever Chrysler Financial offers. They also have a Grand Caravan SXT with the 3.8 V6 and rear entertainment for $22,500 "after all rebates." I'm sure very few customers will qualify for all rebates.
    2005 Caravan SXT MSRP is $ 22,287 (including $665 Destination).

But, it is a very nicely equipped minivan with the 3.3L V6, 2nd row bucket seats, Dual-Zone temperature (driver and front passenger separate controls), cast wheels, and Speed Control.

The $1400 Option Group includes the complete overhead console with compass/outside temp and trip computer, 8 way power driver seat, 50/50 split folding rear seat, roof rack, and illuminated visor vanity mirrors for MSRP $23,685.

The Caravan SXT is a much nicer vehicle than the Chrysler SWB clone...and it is impossible to get exactly the same optional equipment on the 2.

The GC SXT is a less expensive clone of the Chrysler T&C Touring while the GC SE Plus is a clone of the T&C LX .

SXT in Caravan or Grand Caravan is THE BEST BUY in minivans although the Ody EX with a $3100 discount is a close 2nd to the GC SXT with a $1500 discount. A GC SE Plus with 8 way power seat and Equipment Group II costs almost as much as the GC SXT but lacks power sliding doors both sides, cast wheels, the 3.8L V6, and more nice features. No one would buy either a GC SE Plus or a T&C LX if they closely compared pricing on all DC models.
    My acquaintance bought a well equipped new 1999 GC SE in 1999 and got $4900 discount and rebates when the advertisement read "$6,000 Discount all Grand Caravans".

He did not get the recent college graduate or small business rebates that added up $1100 of the total $6,000 in the ad.

DaimlerChrysler advertising is very misleading.
  • It has nothing to do with DC being misleading. In my Sunday paper there are "screamer" ads from dealerships that insult your intelligence, and other ads from dealers selling the same product, that are realistic with their prices and availability. (no bait and switch) Unfortunately, DC (and other makes) have no control on how their dealers sell and service the vehicles they manufacture, other than the useless 5-Star designation in Chrysler's case.