Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• jglackinjglackin Posts: 164
    "I suspect that if you ask for the after rebate price at a Chrysler dealer, they'll figure out a way to get you the price whether you qualify for the rebates or not."

Steve, I am surprised and disappointed that a Host would post such a view. You should realize that rebates are disclosed to the consumer and to the manufacturer. Proof of qualification for rebates has to be included in the deal (i.e. a copy of degree for college grad program) – for audit purposes. Negotiation on price is one thing – suggesting illegalities to your readers is entirely another. Please consider deleting your post. Thanks.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,879
    Not all rebates are disclosed to the consumer. We know about consumer rebates and often know about dealer cash. There's more going on between the manufacturer and the dealer that we don't know about (incentives for moving certain models, or for meeting a sales quota, bonus Caribbean cruises, etc.).

If the dealer sells a van to my neighbor after rebates for $20k, why should I buy the same van for $22k? I don't care if I'm not eligible for the listed rebates or incentives and I don't expect the dealer to try any shenanigans with the manufacturer, but I do care that I'm buying a car that's going to be worth less because the incentives have lowered the market value (now and in the future).

I don't think I suggested lying about being qualified for a specific incentive - there's nothing illegal about asking for the same price that the next person got. I just think there's room on the table for the dealer to give me the same deal as he gave the neighbor, even though I may not qualify for the posted incentives.

If the deal doesn't make financial sense for the dealer, they'll let me walk down the road to the next showroom.

Gotta add a link <g>:

Wall Street Journal

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

no Steve, you suggested that the dealership would lie for you if you walked out "once or twice".
    Well, I suppose you could read it that way. Not my intent though. I'm always harping on focusing on your out the door price and equated the after rebate price my neighbor got as being my out the door target.

Maybe Terry will stop in with the dealer's viewpoint and tell me I'm out to lunch. At which point Bobst can do his "tell them your number" spiel.

For info on other incentives that don't get a lot of press, check out the Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments discussion.

Steve, Host

I'm sure very few customers will qualify for all rebates

Yes but people don't like paying more for the same item than the next person.

Even if you don't qualify for the offered rebates, my feeling is that you should still be able to negotiate a price that approaches the price another person may get with the rebates.

To me, if the dealer/manufacturer is offering a van for $4,000 under MSRP after rebates, then that's what the van is worth.

Sales, meanwhile, must be ok:

" The Chrysler side of DaimlerChrysler ... is expected to continue its string of seven straight months of stronger results, some analysts said"

Reuters

Steve, Host

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Good summary. I would be very upset if I had purchased a new vehicle for $23,999 and then my neighbor got an identically equiped vehicle for $19,999.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have been the worst offenders for having rebates to move vehicles. The consumer has benefitted greatly by Edmunds publishing the information on wholesale, retail, rebates, and incentives to dealers on new vehicles.
    we have a retailer here whose slogan is 'an educated consumer is our best customer'. Nobody wants to feel like they got robbed, but some people will always make a purchase w/o research. I'll bet that none of the readers here will pay more than their proverbial neighbor for the identical car. It will likely be the other way around - and, as long as the neighbor felt like they got a good deal they don't have much to complain about. The onus is always on the consumer to be educated/prepared.
  • It was the 1) Front link, sway bar; 2) Link-sway eliminator; 3) Bushing-sway eliminator and 4) Cushion, front sway bar that needed to be replaced. Cost $173.12 in parts. Our mileage was 52K. Hope this helps.
  • paulnpauln Posts: 1
    In 2001 we bought a new Grand Caravan ES with with all the bells and whistles. What we've found out is that the quality of the bells and whistles is pretty poor. So far with only 68K miles we've had to replace a power window motor for $250 and a whole power seat assembly. for $465. Note the power seat assembly is all one part with 3 motors and all the operating hardware. Our power seat motors were fine, but something was jammed causing the seat to only move 2 notches. The dealer says they can only replace the whole thing.

When I communicated with Dodge they sent a kiss off letter. Both things occurred just after warranty. I kept the seat assembly to find out what really went wrong and to remind me to avoid Chrysler products in the future.

Buyer beware.
    Excellent post. That is why I have avoided power windows, power seats, NAV, etc. as long as I could.

Same with high tech OHC engines.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Thanks. It goes in tomorrow so we'll see what the mechanic says. They are very competent and most of all, honest, so if they say something needs to be replaced, I believe them.
  • I know what you mean. We bought our 2001 GC EX in Sep. 2003. In a few days after purchase, both front power windows regulators went. It only cost us $100 since we purchased the MaxiumCare Warranty. I can't really comment on this to much since we are not the original owners, but I will be able to in five or so years from now. All other bells and whistles still work. As far as your power seat is concerned, make sure to not put anything under the seat in the future, since this can cause a problem. We have a 98 Pontiac Sunfire with no power anything. (My wife is the primary driver) The front passengers seat could no longer be moved forward or backwards. After looking underneath the seat, I found a bunch of stuff my Wife had placed there that interfered with the cable/spring mechanism that allowed you to adjust the seat forward and backwards. I fixed it, but only after three different tries. I prefer to have power and manual. But I know that with certain things, you can't have both power and manual for that item if it brakes.
    Ours wound up being the sway bar links and the sway bar bushings. The mechanic said that he is seeing a lot of these on the 1996+ Caravans. Since ours spends the summers in rural Maine on what could barely be called roads in most areas of the country, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that these parts wore out. The total for parts and labor was $198.

He also showed me where the front rotors were starting to spall and flake off. He said that as a general rule, the Chrysler rotors aren't even worth trying to turn and that for no more than they cost(get what you pay for?), you just replace them.
  • I'm glad you got your van fixed. You bring up a good point about what kind of roads you drive on. We live in Chicago and for the most part the roads are decent. But Chicago has it's share of pot holes and rough roads from the different weather conditions all year around.
  • jtheronjtheron Posts: 24
    When we bought our 2004 T&C van we received about $12,000 off of a $36,000 MSRP van. We saw all kinds of incentives or discounts or bonuses advertised for loyalty and conquest and farm bureau and military and college grad and mail certificate and national and TDM (whatever that is)and trade-in allowance and such, but the dealer didn't ask us what rebates applied and didn't seem to care which ones we may have qualified for or not.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I just noticed the other day ( I've had it almost two weeks now) that the face on the AM/FM radio, CD/cassett, not only tells you the station it's on, but also the song being played and the person singing it.

I have a 2004 Honda Civic and had a 2001 Dodge P/U and they never did that. Is this something new they just came out with, or is it that I just have a better radio in this van?
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    Its called RDS. It's been around for a few years now. My 2003 Chrysler has it. It only shows up on stations that transmit such information. I used to live in metro Atlanta and almost all radio stations there broadcast the name of the station along with the name of the artist and title of the song. I moved down to Columbus, GA (100 mi southwest of Atlanta on the AL state line) last Spring and none of the stations here do it. It is a neat feature.
    It is a neat feature. I usually listen to talk radio on AM as the speakers were not all that great on the truck and Civic for music. But the six speakers on the mini van are very nice, so I have been listening to music much more. Wonder what it would sound like with the eight speakers instead of the six I have now?

I have noticed radios don't sound half as nice as they use to, since they took the speakers out of the dash and put them all in the doors, on the two and four speaker systems. I think they sound much better in the dash and on the rear deck then in the doors.
    My '03 has 2 speakers on the dash--have they been removed for 2005?
  • when do the 2006 get released
    I am completely satisfied with the sound quality of the standard 6 speaker sound system in my 2002 T&C LX.

Compared to my son's 2001 Ody EX sound system, my T&C LX sound system sounds like a concert hall.
    It does sound nice. I went out to look at the wife's Honda Civic. The two back speakers are on the rear deck where they should be. The front ones are in the doors. None on the dash where I like them.
    Does anyone know just how the over head computer should work as far as telling you what the van is getting in MPG?

Drivng strickly freeway to my daughter's house, about 25 miles away. On the way there, the computer said the van was getting up to 31.1 MPG. It got up to that in about 5 miles or less.

I reset it on the way back and it finally got up to 24.1 by the time I was leaving the freeway. Now the road is pretty flat so it wasn't like I was doing more climbing one way and not the other.

I doubt very much if I was getting 31 MPG, but I also wonder why it took almost 25 miles to show I was getting 24.1 It climbed very slowly. I used the cruise control both times at 60 MPH.

Is there something I should have done, the owner's manual does not explain it too well.
    There's nothing that you did or didn't do correctly. The reading is what it is. You could have been going with the wind during the first set of readings and against on the way back. The 6 mpg difference between the two could easily have been explained by the wind.

You can also double check by advancing to the instantaneous readout(I believe it is labeled "eco")..
    I'm taking my 2003 Voyager LX (with the 3.3l V6) in for service and to get the power steering fluid line checked for a recall. They say the hose can leak and cause an engine fire. Has anyone heard of this happening? It seems to me that when the CR-Vs were catching fire after their first oil change, it made the news. When the Sienna engines were catching fire, it made the news. I have not heard about the DC vans catching fire. It must be more of a precaution than a reaction. Has anyone else had theirs checked out?
    "Twenty-three fires have been reported in recent months in the minivans, mostly in Canada, but none have led to injuries or accidents." Apparently the hose doesn't like cold weather.

Chrysler recalls minivans, pickups (Autonet)

Steve, Host

I guess I was out of the news loop when this was going on. Maybe cold weather has something to do with it. It does not get real cold here in Georgia.
    There were actually 2 power steering hose recalls. One for upper hose and another for lower hose.

I just ignored the recall until it was time for an oil and oil filter change and had them all done at the same time.
    I wonder if they replaced them both, or just one? I'll need to follow up.