Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Our 1996 Caravan still has the original drum brakes, now at about 86,000 miles! Did do one set of front brakes and new rotors about 15K ago. I really wonder if they have much of a problem.

As far as your belt making noise, it could be you just need a new serpentine belt and possibly a new idler tensioner pulley. I replaced the belt once, did it myself total cost less than $25. The idler tensioner pulley also replaced once, again did it myself, another $20 or so.

AC can be expensive and I did have to have that done, but what is an E-coil? Never heard of it.

Did have a couple of transmission leaks, and depending on what they are, $300 could be a fair price for a dealer to do this work.

All in all, could be your dealer has a boat payment due. All your problems are not necessarily life threatening. Drive it out of there, and I would shop around and get a second or third opinion.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    Sorry to hear about your problems. As the other poster said you should not need rear brakes at only 38K. You probably won't get any help from Chrysler to repair your AC evaporator core. They will say it's a 5 year old vehicle, (irregardless of the low miles) we're sorry but no help from us. DC Customer Care Phone # is
    800-992-1997
  • zentoadzentoad Posts: 1
    I am wondering where to post this question...
    I bought a used 92 grand voyager, and later a used pop-up trailer. I must admit that I did not do my homework regarding towing capacity. I would like to know how to confirm if my voyager has a towing package installed. While replacing the radiator, I noticed that it does have a seperate tranny oil cooler. What else should I look for to confirm if a towing package was installed?

Thanks, Tony

PS trailer weight is specified at @ 1435 lbs, with electric brakes...
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Those expenses are high but routine maintenance on a Volvo, Honda, Toyota, or almost any other foreign brand vehicle would cost more than that by 38,000 miles. :cry:
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    With the new 2005 Dodge/Chrysler minivans coming out with Stow-n-Go seats and Chrysler changing the under carriage of these new vans, how are the owners liking them and what are you using them for? Any major problems?
  • mastiff1mastiff1 Posts: 2
    Ive had my 05 for 5 weeks now and i floving it. i use mine for work and pleasure, and the ability to fold those seats down without a hassel is great. I haul heavy stuff and the seats are holding up very well. Mine came with the tow package, so the leveling suspension comes in handy when picikng up deliveries when the trucking company wont deliver. my only complaints are as follows:
    1) nasty over spray under the hood, hope it dosent peal off.
    2) loose carpeting in the stow and gow 3rd row. if it wears out, hopefully the warrenty will cover it. (anyone else have this problem??).

Other than that, build quality seems very fine, all the seems line up and every thing works, with 1700 miles and going.
    1) nasty over spray under the hood, hope it dosent peal off.
    2) loose carpeting in the stow and gow 3rd row. if it wears out, hopefully the warrenty will cover it. (anyone else have this problem??).

Not me. I sure would bring it to your dealer's attention though.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Yeah, no kiddin.' My neighbor just spent $1400 on brakes and rear shocks for their 2003 Sienna.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • wkn55wkn55 Posts: 1
    I had AutoZone do their FREE diagnostic test on my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan because my engine light came on and they said i needed an EGR valve. What is the purpose of the EGR valve and how long can i drive without something seriously breaking down on me? Is it safe to trust that that is all I need or should i get the dealer to do another diagnostics (and charge $$$$) just to tell me i need a lot of other thing fixed. The car has $126,000+ miles and is running good otherwise.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and the valve controls the amount recirculated to lower emissions. It is about $35-55 for the part, and about 1 hours' worth of labor (say $65-95).

Assuming that this was only code pulled by AutoZone, it should not be too expensive to fix. You could drive this thing for some time like this, but it is a fix that should not be delayed too much.

You don't need a dealer to do this. If you are savvy, you can do this on your own (be sure to work on a cold engine to avoid burns) or take it to a major chain like PepBoys or any other good independent workshop to get a satisfactory repair.
  • vandamvandam Posts: 2
    Picked up a '96 Grand Caravan, 3.3l with about 150000k on it this past week. My hope is to get about 50000k out of it without major bills. First week in... I'm getting a SES light, code 12, code 32 and code 55.
    Anyone know what a code 12 and code 32 are. I think code 55 just tells you it's finished reporting?
    Anyone know 'bout these.

vanDam
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Code 12 is Battery disconnect (means battery must have been replaced or disconnected)
    Code 32 is EGR (exhaust gas recirculating) failure. Check EGR valve for proper operation or replace it.
  • vandamvandam Posts: 2
    thanks for the info,
    just new to this board, seems like a great resource,

I'll check into the egr valve, hopefully that clears it up.
  • carglowcarglow Posts: 91
    Anyone own an 05 Dodge van with the 4 cylinder? Is the power adequate?

I don't plan to ever do any towing with the van.
    Depends if you are going to clime any mountains. Also the service requirements to the four cylinder is higher than with the six.
    Nope won't be climbing many mountains in Louisiana.

By "service requirements" I guess you mean the intervals you have to change spark plugs and coolant, etc ...?
    Just the spark plugs, (every 30K) which are very easy to replace on the 4 cylinder, and also the timing belt at 105,000 miles, other than that service is about the same.
    Well that killed the deal ... no timing belts for me.
    If you go to the six, it has a timing chain.
    At least the 2.4 4 cyl engine is non-interference, so if the timing belt were to break, you would not destroy the engine. Granted you possibly would be stranded somewhere. The 3.3 six is a very reliable engine, but the rear 3 plugs can be hard to replace.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    True, the back three plugs on the 3.3 V-6 are a pain, however they are 100K platinum plugs, and I intend to go the full 100K before changing them. At 82K now and running fine. I will either then pay someone else to change em, or I will sell it and buy a new one, leaving the plugs to the next owner!

I would go with the 3.3 V-6 to get reasonable performance. Even the short wheel base dodge minivan is a bit too much for the 4 cylinder engine for most people's preferences.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Let's keep a welcoming atmosphere here for everyone, including new posters.

Since this discussion is for talking about the features/attributes of these vans, the recent posts concerning problems have been moved to the Dodge / Chrysler minivan problems discussion.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

In 2002, there were Voyager eC and Caravan eC; Grand Caravan eL and eX and the Town & Country eL and eX.
    How many years were these different models in production and why did DaimlerChrysler discontinue them?
    Was it the same reason the Plymouth Voyager line; Dodge Caravan Sport, Grand Caravan Sport, Grand Caravan LE, Grand Caravan ES; and Chrysler Voyager and Town & Country LXi names were sent to the graveyard? :confuse:
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Posts concerning problems with these the Caravan and Voyager have been moved to the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan problems discussion. Please look for the responses to your posts there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Can you get the 3.3 V6 in a shortwheel base?

Looks like you have to get the Grand Caravan (long wheelbase to get the 3.3).
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    The 3.3 V6 is available in the se plus, sxt, and sxt plus, short wheelbase.
    Edmunds pricing doesn't show an SE plus option.
    I think the GC SE Plus has been out of production since DC started putting Stow /N Go into the regular GC SE.
    The GC SE Plus was a rip off from the beginning :sick: as it had the smaller 3.3L V6 and when power sliding doors, the overhead console, and triple zone temp was added, the GC SE Plus cost more than the GC SXT that had all of these items plus the larger 3.8L V6, cast wheels, and other nice items standard. ;)
    The 3.3L V6 is standard in the Caravan SXT and SWB Town & Country. The Caravan SE (SWB) was the only 2005 DC minivan that had the 2.4L - 4 cylinder engine. :cry:
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hey gang, I just finished a road trip in our 1998 GC Sport 3.8. Said trip featured a single day sprint from southern New Hampshire to the western suburbs of Chicago, eight days of local driving, a second single day sprint from the Chicago area to Westchester county New York (complete with over four hours of insane weather in central Pennsylvania on 5-July), a day of driving around the NYC area, and then a final short hop from "The Gyland" back to southern New Hampshire.

In all the trip consumed 35 hours 7 minutes of engine time, 2,223.5 miles and 102.25 gallons of gasoline, which yields an average speed of 63.31 miles per hour and fuel economy of just shy of 22 mpg, which is pretty good considering that the van was fairly heavily loaded, with the A/C running most of the time and the Cruise Control set at a constant 75 mph. My best tank was between Glen Ellyn, IL and just shy of the Pennsylvania state line on I-80, 399.2 miles on 17.34 gallons of gas (I could easily have gone north of 400 but there were some very angry looking clouds in front of me and I decided to fill it while I could still stay dry). I know that those of you who have the more fuel efficient four bangers and the 3.0 and 3.3 liter sixes are able to routinely see over 400 miles per tank, but for this vintage of the 3.8 I think that I did pretty good. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo