Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• jjtjjjtj Posts: 103
    I have a 2003 GC Sport 3.3L. Recently, I have noticed the fuel pump making a noisy whistling sound, much louder than the hum that I'm used to. The van has about 75K on it, I changed the fuel filter around 40K or so. I'm wondering if the pump is about to go out. The van seems to be running OK, no skipping as I've experienced on other vehicles where the pump is going bad. I'm considering taking the pro-active measure of changing the pump before it dies completely, if this is what's going on. My wife drives our 1-yr old triplets and 3 yr old daughter in this vehicle, and I don't know how she'd ever manage if the van broke down on her. If I wait till the tank is fairly empty, I don't think it would be a huge deal to change. Any opinions or experience? Thanks..Jason
  • engr2go1engr2go1 Posts: 10
    I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has 211,000 miles on it and the fuel pump went bad. I thought it would be a good idea to remove, clean and inspect the fuel tank while replacing the pump. The only problem I am having is removing the two hoses that attach to the top of the tank (not the ones that connect to the pump). Can anyone help me? There is no clamp. Only a hose pushed onto a plastic elbow that appears to be molded with the tank. Is this hose glued on? Do I need to asdd heat? Joe
  • I have the same car as you and the same problem. I was wondering if you have found out how to fix your problem. And could you please tell me how you fixed your car?
  • Hi.

i took my car to chrysler for it 82000 service, they reset the consol, cost £25.
    they said that the blend doors behind it for the heater are noisey, and if it happens again the heater matrix will need replacing, £1500,00p.
    not what i wanted to hear either, hope this helps.

gary.
  • We recently bought this minivan second-hand here in Spain, and unfortunately the owner´s manual is in French.
    Does anyone know where we could download one online? I´ll pay for it if necessary.
    Thanks in advance,
    Charlie (Eliz.) in southern Spain
  • coderedcodered Posts: 43
    i have a 01 3.3 gcv....have put new ps pump on it 4 weeks ago....did not help anything .fluid is coming out of top of reservior...feels like air is in the line when heats up.. paid some to put a longer hose "was told they were to short"..tell me my grand is not the only one to do this.. any help would be great thanks billy
  • Thanks, Chris- I'll give it a try...I was hoping I might find one I could download, mostly to save time.
    Cheers,
    Charlie
  • I would imagine it's too old for a downloadable file. If you tell me what you need, I can scan and send it to you. Mine is pretty thick to send the whole thing.
  • If you could send me the page(s) on the central locking system and the air conditioner controls, that would be great.
    ´Really appreciate your offer,and thanks in advance,
    E.
  • I've got it scanned, send me your email address and I will try to send it. The 19 pages are pretty large file size, so it will take about 5 emails to get it to you.
  • Thanks so much...I really appreciate the trouble.
    My email is chazepping@yahoo.com

Cheers,
    E.

P.S. If your ever make it to southern Spain, come see us - we´re in a little village a 1/2 hour from the Costa del Sol, where we have a little boat in one the marinas.
  • I have a 2002 voyager minivan the fuel pump fuse keeps blowing out,when replaced it works for about 24 hrs and blows out again.
    I checked the pump relay in fuse box and seems to be fine also replaced the 20 amp fuse with a 25 amp fuse for testing and it went out, also used lucas fuel inyector cleaner two times and problem continues.

any ideas what may be the problem?

thanks
  • We have been very pleased with our 2005 Grand Caravan SXT and have 80,000 km ( about 50,000 miles?) and the auto door locking which is supposed to occur at 17 mph no longer functions, so we have to remember to do this ourselves. Is this a small problem which will cost a LOT to fix? Our dealer is probably OK, though they are always flogging extra services not mentioned in the service book when we go in faithfully at the recommended intervals.
    DougW W
  • Check the owners manual and reprogram the doors to lock at 17 mph.
  • I replaced the heater core last year and today the heat stopped. I have hot water in the heater hose, but no heat. Do I have a bad core or is it the control module? How can I determine what is wrong?
  • i have a 2002 dodge caravan that had a factory cassette radio in it. My friend had a 2001 caravan that had a factory dvd system in it plus a cd / cassatte radio in it. I bought it off him and and installed it in my van. I had to get the stereo shop to convert the radio plug in my van to fit the cd radio i got. I ran all the wiring harness the same way and my radio works but i cant get the dvd system to power up does anyone know why? Or if any one has an instruction manual for that system cause im not sure why its not working or if im missing something.
  • sjasja Posts: 11
    About 6 months ago, the wife had a flat right rear tire on our 99 GCV. So, doing the husbandly duty, I got the jack out and went to lower the spare from the undercarriage. No luck. Beat it from all different angles, no luck. Tried to pry it down from the winch, no luck. The cable was slack so I knew it was supposed to come down as it had before when it was used. Nothing worked.I unbolted the entire winch assembly, with the tire still attached. Finally, after struggling with it for another half hour, the winch assembly let the tire go. Needless to say, the whole thing ended up in the trash. The cable and mechanisms were all twisted from trying to get the tire down. The local Dodge dealer wants $150.00 for a new assembly. I've tried the local junk yards with no luck. Does anyone know where to get one of these things, cheap? Oh, and it has to work.

In addition, I'm also looking for the right front passenger window upper seal assembly. Another pricey part from Dodge.

Thanks in advance to anyone with info.
  • Your best bet might be to try the web periodically. There were a couple listed today but I couldn't figure out how to get to the seller. Good luck!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I don't understand how getting a spare tire hanger can be such a problem. Every local bone yard I've been to over the last several months has had at least a half of a dozen Gen 3 vans, and every one of them has a spare tire hanger under it.

Are they telling you they won't sell you one or that they don't have any in stock to sell you?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    As many of you know we have two DGCs, a 1998 Sport 3.8 and a 2003 ES 3.8. Back in 2005 I mounted a set of the (then) new Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires (215/65 R16) on both of our vans. Here we are some 28 months later and the 1998 has already racked up some 65,000 miles on that set of rubber, and while the TripleTreds still had some tread left on them, we've already had well over 50" of snow this winter, and their grip (the set on the 1998 that is) in the snow was a tad nervous, especially as we live in an area with lots of hilly and winding roads.

Faced with the prospect of yet another 100+ inch snow winter, I decided that after 65,000 miles I'd gotten my money out of them and it was time for a new set. Initially my "short list" for new tires was simple, 1) another set of TripleTreds, or 2) a set of Yokohama AVID TRZ tires that have gotten a number of good reviews over the years and are very reasonably priced. A week or so before I pulled the trigger on the tires I came across reviews from several individuals that had put the very new Cooper CS4 Touring tires on their Chrysler minivans, and had nothing but good things to say about their new shoes.

I did a little research and found that a set of four could be had for virtually the same price as the Yokohamas, however, the Yokos are getting a little long in the tooth as they have been on the market for several years now while Cooper is using some very new technology to build the CS4s (apparently the same technology as Michelin is using on their new Primacy MXV4 model). Given the relatively modest cost of these tires and their almost ridiculous tread wear warranty of 80,000 miles (yeesh, our 1998 already has well over 150,000 miles on it), I figured they'd be worth a gamble.

Even thought I have less than a thousand miles on the new Coopers, the miles I have driven have ranged from dry 50 degree road surfaces to cold and wet, ice covered and snow covered up to about six inches. Compared to the TripleTreds that the CS4s replaced, the comparison categories that I can think of stack up as follows:
    Dry grip: Tie
    Wet grip: Tie
    Snow grip: CS4 (by a wide margin)
    Road noise: CS4 (the TripleTreds weren't all that noisy, the CS4s are just quieter)
    Braking: Tie
    Cushy ride: CS4 (I like a firmer ride and prefer the TripleTreds in this category)
    Lateral grip: TripleTred (by a narrow margin)
    Steering response: TripleTred (a subtle but noticeable difference)
    Smoothness when cold: CS4 (the TripleTreds would flat-spot a bit when it was below 10 degrees and would take a few miles to smooth out)

All in all, these are fairly comparable tires, and given that the CS4s can be had for about $100 less per set (out the door) than the TripleTreds, I think Cooper has done a commendable job on these tires. I predict that they will become very popular with the minivan crowd.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Hi,
    i know its 6 months gone since last post.

i still had the problem until november, the car went altogether, i had no power at all.
    i put a volt meter on the battery, it read 12v, when i turned the ignition it went down to 3v,
    there was now low power clicking, just dead.
    the transit van i have has got excactly the same battery, so i thought i would try the crysler bettery on that.
    i disconnected the neg,
    but when i tried to disconnect the live it was stuck fast, i took the bolt out and gently opened the gripper with a large blade driver, it opened with a crack, inside the gripper and the battery terminal was dry corrosion, i cleaned both till nice and shiny with wire wall, put a bit of copper grease on both live and neg.

i have not had the problem since, car seams to runn better too, i suppose its not over working the alternator.

regards.

gary.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686
    Shipo -

Thank you for the post! I had TripleTreds on my '96 Outback and found them to be the best performing all-season tires I had tried. I gave up some fuel economy with them, but no regrets having purchased them. I will certainly keep the Coopers in mind if/when I need to replace the tires on the '98 GC.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Interesting, you gave up fuel mileage with the TripleTreds? Wow, I wonder if you have a problem with one or more of your tires.

Last summer I managed to milk a record number of miles out of a single tank from our 1998 3.8 liter DGC Sport (500+ miles on one tank, 28.2 mpg between a point fifteen miles southwest of Port Huron, MI and the NY-Thruway rest area outside of Albany, NY), and that was with the TripleTreds on the van. Other than that trip, I cannot say that any of the three different types of tires on that van have affected the fuel economy to any measurable degree (or the Bridgestone EL42 vs. the TripleTreds on our 2003 DGC ES for th at matter).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Fuel economy on that car dropped 5-10% after installation of the tires. The drop was more pronounced in the summer than the winter, but there was no uneven wear of the tires or anything abnormal about the operation of the car to indicate another cause. Regrettably, I lost the car only 25,000 miles after putting on the tires, but the drop was consistent over that time frame (13 months).

Who knows though. The car had 195,000 miles on it when the tires were installed, so anything is possible. They were still fabulous tires! ;)
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Ahhh, I see the disconnect. Our 1998 only had 145,000 miles on it when it did the 500 mile tank. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hahaha! Only 145,000 huh? Sheesh, that's just a baby. :P
    Yup, just barely broke in. ;-)
  • max46max46 Posts: 1
    I just installed an OEM regulator and motor for a 99 caravan.
    the installation was clumsy, but its in and pretty clean looking.
    Question. The motor is really slow in the up direction. Down travel is really fast.
    Makes sense, but the motor is getting really hot.
    I could wrap up the job, but I know the motor will fail if I leave it like this. Its a friends car and she has already put out $200 for each of the two front windows already.
    It seems like the motor doesn't have the *alls to lift the window.
    Any advice is welcome.