Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• What does the Ec stand for, extra cheap? These models list for approx. $17,090 with 5 passenger seating. Where is the bench, in the middle or the rear? I know the auto 4 speed is an improvement over the old 3 speed but I'm still worried about reliability. Maybe when mated to the 2.4 engine it will last longer? With cash-back and free 7 yr/100k warranty this looks like a good deal. Any feed back from anyone who has purchased this model?
  • And NO, I do not think eC is as you asked. A nice, large, spacious vehicle with Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Automatic Transmission, AM/FM/Cassette Stereo all as standard equipment is quite a bargain in 2002.
    The bench seat is in the middle. 7 passenger seating is an additional cost...but with 7 passenger seating, Power Door Locks, and Rear Defroster and Wiper the MSRP is $17,955. This is far less expensive than any comparably sized vehicle.
  • I was just kidding about the "extra cheap". My friends think I'm crazy, thinking about purchasing a mini-van, AKA mommie mobile. I drove two as company service vehicles. Both were driven very hard with no TLC. The 1st was a 86 Caravan w/2.6, turned it in at 162,000 still running great except for timing chain noise. 2nd was a 93 Caravan C/V which came standard with tilt, cruise, capt. chairs, AC, AM/FM cassette,and interior light pkg. Also driven hard. The infamous 4 speed trans gave out at 111,000 miles, had it repaired and still ran great until it was totaled by Hurricane Floyd :( in '99. Been in a '98 Chevy Astro since and I HATE it. I don't need the space for a mini van but my past experiences with them are leaning me towards one.
  • ed12ed12 Posts: 100
    My dealer wants about $850 to extend the warranty on my new T&C minivan from the basic 3/36 to 60000 miles. This would cover every non maintenace item. I know it comes standard with a 100000 mile powerrain warranty, so is the extra warranty worth it? I must make a decision by tomorrow.
  • ed12ed12 Posts: 100
    I just picked up a 2002 T&C LX minivan. Is there any storage space available that is not immediately obvious. For example, I have a small air pump that will not quite fit into the underseat drawer. Any suggestions?

Ed
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    I put a plastic bin in the back, in front of the liftgate for all the little stuff that seems to collect. You won't need the air pump while you're driving so it will be just fine back there. When you fill that up with stuff there is still room for another bin but we haven't gotten to that point. I try to avoid carrying people in the rear bench for safety reasons so by folding down the rear seat I get a nice big shelf for stuff.
  • My husband and I are looking at a 2000 GC ES at a local dealership. We live in New Hampshire and the mileage is 48,664. The dealership is asking $16,550. We were also told that it would be a good idea to get an extended warranty on any used vehicle. I'd like to be able to find reasonable warranty quotes from a source other than the dealership. My questions are as follows:

1. Is this a good price?
    2. Can anyone recommend a good place to get warranty quotes?

Thanks
  • The 2000 GC I need advice for is an LE, not an ES. I incorrectly wrote ES in my last post.
  • I am shopping for a used van and have narrowed it down to the Chrylser T&C or the Dodge Grand Sport. The T&C is a 1999 50k miles and comes with a 4yr warranty. The Sport is 2000 17k miles and $2K more. Any suggestions on which is a better buy? Thanks!
  • 4aodge4aodge Posts: 288
    We have a trouble free 2000 Town & Country that we really like. We almost got a 2000 Grand Caravan Sport instead at the time of purchase. Based on the information you gave, I would probably go with the 2000 Sport over the Town & Country, simily because it has fewer miles and is a newer vehicle.

I am assuming the GC Sport in question has the upgraded interior, Infinity sound w/CD player, trip computer, dual zone A/C, power drivers seat, bucket seating, ect.

-Adam
  • I have a question hopefully someone here can answer. Is the 3.8L engine available as an option on the FWD GC Sport? Page 19 of the 2002 brochure lists a max towing capacity for FWD Sports and ES's w/ the 3.8 and the towing package, but I don't see the option in the charts and I can't configure it that way on the dodge website. I have had two dealers each tell me it was and was not an option on the Sport. I would like to get a GC or T&C with the 3.8 and towing package, but don't necessarily want everything that comes witht the ES trim (or T&C equivalent). Any clarification anyone can offer would be most appreciated.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The answer to your dilemma is simple, order the Dodge Grand Caravan eX which has the 3.8L engine as part of the package. This van has few options, however, it has a fairly complete content setup as is, and has a base price of $26,790.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hmmm, it seems that I spoke too soon. The "eX" model does not have the Trailer Towing package as an option. That leaves you with two alternatives.

1) Add an aftermarket package to the "eX".
    2) Upgrade to something like the T&C LXi with the "R" package. I just configured one with the 3.8L, Touring Suspension, 16" Aluminum Wheels, Traction Control, Trailer Tow Group and AM/FM stereo Radio with Cassette/CD Player for $31,885.

There is also a similar "Stripper" Dodge ES at a similar price point. Both vehicles, as a result, do not have many of the amenities of the normal LXi/ES vehicles, however, they do have the parts that count.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Shipo,

Your correct, I could move up to the LXi or ES, but I don't think I should have to. I am going to question the dealer about this. I don't understand why they would show this powertrain/towing package option in the brochure if it isn't available. I also think that DC may be missing a significant niche in the market if they don't offer an all muscle few frills version for around 25K. I could get an Odyssey LX with towing package for considerably less than $32k.
    When is $31,885 not $31,885? When you buy a new car these days.

There is a fair bet you can negotiate the price closer to $30,000, and that is before you apply the incentives, which by the way, are $2,500 if you buy or $2,700 if you lease. Now, that $31,885 is really more like $27,500.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Oddly enough, there is a way to get the GC Sport with a 3.8 Liter engine, with AWD.

I configured a GC Sport AWD with Power Drivers Seat, AM/FM Radio with Cassette and CD, Infinity Speaker System and the Trailer Tow Prep Group, which totals to $32,060. The GC Sport AWD has the same incentive package as the LXi if you buy, however, if you intend to lease, there is a $4,800 incentive, which could mean that you could get this vehicle for $25,200.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Know of any good mechanics in the Calif
    Bay Area (San Jose, and surrounding
    areas)? I have a '96 Chrysler T&C with
    71K miles on it, and it has sundry electrical problems

- control LEDs (a/c, rear wipers, defroster, etc.) flashing
    - horn, cruise control kaput
    - AIRBAG warning light on
    - etc.

Thanks.

- as
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    The flashing LEDs indicate an AC malfunction (likely gas leakage). You need that looked at by a good AC shop. Common failures include the condenser (parts=$350, labour=$600 or so). Or it may be as simple as a rest required due to replacing the battery.

The horn/cruise control/air bag light points to a clockspring assembly failure (parts=$125, labour=$100 or so). Remember, the air bag may not deploy in case of an accident, so you may want this repaired rather quickly.
  • I contacted my local dealer last night and confirmed that the only way to get the Sport with the 3.8 is with AWD, he admitted that the brochure is in error by showing the FWD Sport with 3.8 and towing package. Don't want or need AWD and no way I am paying more than $25k, so I guess I'll be looking for a used ES or at something else altogether. Anyone done much towing with a GC with 3.8? Any thoughts?
  • asastry, try DanNick's auto repair at Lawrence and Reed in Sunnyvale. Dan's shop was rated well in the SF Consumer's Checkbook.