Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I driven another car with that engine. The Lincoln MKZ.
    It had "enough" power, but did not sound super slick and refined like a Japanese Toyota/Lexus V6 or even a Nissan or Honda V6 that all sound smooth and luxurious even when revved hard.
    I'm sure the lower priced Taurus will be likely seem even worse due to less sound insulation than a Lincoln.
    A nice engine doesn't have to hide behind loads of sound insulation to mask crass engine noises.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    Ford just passed Toyota in initial quality ratings, what do you think, Ford on the right track?
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    that 3.5L V6 made engine of the year.
    I still think Toyota has the best cars on the road, but the gap is closing as Toyota quality goes down the American quality goes up. Toyota's quality started to go down because they're growing way too fast.
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    How it compares to Duratec 3.0L soundwise?
    "I still think Toyota has the best cars on the road"

It depends what do you want from cars. Camry is certainly not the best car e.g. It is rather mediocre. It is not even good highway cruiser. The only thing good about it is sound isolation (and may be quiet engine). I personally do noy care for quiet engine, still prefer hearing engine and feeling the road.
  • geffengeffen Posts: 278
    I noticed some dealerships are selling used 07 Taurus SE's and SEL's, Were these only available as fleet cars? I like the styling of the 4th generation, Just wanted to get some thoughts on the 07's i'm thinking of purchasing one used, the dealership says they are certified used, I've seen pictures of the 08 models and they are the same as the Five Hundred model, to me they have a boxy look to them.
    The 2006 and 2007s are so decontented now that you would be better off trying to find a cheaper and better equipped 2005 with 24V engine and extended warranty.
    I agree. I drove rental Taurus last year - it was decontented and plastic used inside was horrible.
    Actually I can only find the 24V Duratec engines in the 2004's Ford didn't make the 2005's with the Duratec's.
    I did find a loaded 07 Taurus SEL used yesterday, this model had leather interior, sunroof, woodgrain, seems the extras that the SE model doesn't have, they had it priced at $14k with $20,000 miles looks like it was a former rental unfortunately.
    Even with leather seats and moonroof, the 2007s are so decontented that they lack basic features such as the tinted band at the top of the windshield.
    Doesn't even the SEL have black plastic interior door release handles now? I think they also removed the cabin air filter the previous years had.
    You would be better off buying an ex-rental directly from Hertz or Budget if yo must buy one at all. They keep the best ones to sell themselves and the rest get auctioned off and resold at car dealerships.
    They also got rid of the optional 24 valve engine even though it had more power and didn't use any more fuel. They should have just made it standard and dropped the Vulcan instead.
    What are the black plastic interior door release handles? Well some of these ex rentals are Ford Certified which I can only get by purchasing from a Ford dealership, I think i would rather take my chances and buy directly from a Ford dealer instead of a Hertz or Budget lot.
    The release lever you use to open the doors from the inside used to be shiny chrome and are now cheaper-looking black plastic. I doubt if this change saved $5 per car, but makes it look much cheaper.

Hertz has their own program with money back guarantee, fixed prices and reasonably priced extended warranties that have better coverage than the the "Certified" program coverage you get from Ford. The Hertz fixed price plus extended warranty is still cheaper than the Ford Certified car with the standard Certified program coverage. All of the Hertz cars will have some of the original Ford factory warranty coverage remaining. Almost all have under 30K miles and a few might have under 20K miles.
    Budget probably has similar program.
    You will pay a price premium for the dealer certified car that the rental company dumped because it didn't meet some minimum standard of cars they wanted to sell on their own.
    Would the Hertz extended warranty be honored at a Ford Dealership if repairs would need to be completed?
    I'm debating on buying an ex rental i've heard horror stories about how some rental companies do not complete oil changes on time and other maint.
    Yes, the Hertz warranty works at Ford dealerships with no problem. You just call Hertz before you take the car to the dealer and then show the dealer the Hertz warranty paperwork. They bill directly to Hertz. I have used it. The program I had gave you 5 additional years and 75,000 additional miles on top of whatever mileage the car has at on your purchase date. For instance if you buy one with 25,000 miles, you have coverage until 100,000 miles.
    Plus, since the car is still under factory warranty, you still have the option to buy a Ford warranty from a Ford dealer if you really feel more comfortable with the Ford extended warranty.
    Hertz also had a 30 day return policy on the car.

The cars at the dealer likely came from a rental company anyway since there are no private party new car sales of the 2006-2007 Taurus.
    The cars from Hertz and Budget with problems such as missing service, higher mileage or other problems are auctioned off to dealers and they keeps the rest to sell themself.

The additional costs you should factor in is that the car will likely be due for 30K service within months of purchase at $400-500 if you have it done a Ford dealer and you will probably also need to replace the original tires and front brake pads in less than a year at that mileage.
    After that, you should be home free for a long time.
    Oh ok, So are all or most of the rental fleet cars purchased from Ford or leased from Ford? Then once they hit a certain mileage they get sent out to auction or sold on Hertz or Budgets lots?
    Other rental companies besides Hertz and Budget also buy Tauruses plus some private companies and government agencies. They were sold as "fleet-only" the last few years (like the Chevy Malibu "Classic" and some other cars).
    The dealer has to disclose it as "Prior Rental" or "Previous Daily Rental" when they sell if it came from a rent-a-car company. It is usually stamped on their window sticker.

If this is the car you want, I don't see any reason to buy a used Taurus at a used car lot at a Ford dealer rather than from Hertz car sales directly.
    You will also save the aggravation of dealing with typical used car salespeople since buying from Hertz is more of a no-hassle CarMax/Saturn sales experience.
    So theres really nothing different from a Fleet only car than a regular car other than being leased out to someone.

The Taurus SEL was very nice, The new 08 Taurus will look just like the Ford Five Hundred and I don't care for that boxy style look.
    There is likely some minimum number of cars you have buy for fleet-only. Maybe if you wanted to buy 5 or 10 at a time, they would sell them to a private party. I don't know if they have any other requirements.
    They are usually dated cars overdue for redesign and with more limited choice of options than the average car.
    They sell to fleets rather than stopping production.
    You should probably verify that the car you want has ABS if ABS wasn't a standard feature. They tend to skimp on options they think people won't notice right away.
    I still think its to bad they killed off the old design of the Taurus.

I did notice some with ABS and some had the flex fuel engine which can use the E85 Ethanol which would be a savings.
  • Good afternoon everyone,
    I just wanted to say that although the current topic is the new Tauruses, I bit the bullet and bought a '97 - With the 3 liter V6 (VIN starts as 1FAL - Not sure of the engine is the Vulcan or the Duratech, but it's got some oomph), because of a rear end collision that totaled my car (1991 Caprice, with the 305). I must say, I love this car - Although I miss having a CD Player (I know I can get one from Crutchfield, with an adapter) - Is it better than Ebay, really? I hate having to use my tape adapter with my MP3 player, and it also eats batteries. I don't have any of the old service records, but almost everything looks factory - Meaning some surface rust on the block, etc - But there's one little problem that I've noticed over the last week.....I noticed the trans slipping (Well, slamming like it was in neutral then dropped into drive) whenever I tried to accelerate from a full stop, and when I opened the hood, I apparently had blown out a transmission line, which leads me to my main question - Is this an easy fix, or is it better to let a mechanic fix it? I'm not too worried, I only paid $1000 for the car (Well, the insurance company paid the $900, I covered tax and title) - And would it hurt the trans too much if I added more fluid to it to drive it to the mechanic I bought it from if I need to? I really love this car, and I don't want it to take a worse dive!

It should be noted that this GL has 191k on the odometer, and NO lights are on - But I'm not Ford savvy, so any help would be great!

Lastly, are there any recalls for this year, and would I even qualify if there were?

Sorry for dragging, I tend to ramble.

Thanks for your time!
    Kenny
  • main_e_axmain_e_ax Posts: 1
    How do I disable the dinging sound when i open my car door, while the keys are still in?

I am customizing some things on it and I'm sure i will be showing it off, and that noise drives me crazy.
  • The middle belt in the back seat no longer retracts. What do you have to remove to get to it? Can it be fixed or is a new belt the only way to solve this?
  • I bought my Taurus used from a dealership. The sales staff never told me where to find the code for my keyless entry. Does anyone know where in the car the code can be found?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Is it Ford Certified?

The if it was a Certified car than the dealer should have hooked up the car up to the console during service and pulled the code.

The code is only stored on the car's computer so if they didn't pull it and are not willing to pull it after the sale for free than you may just be SOL or have to pay.

Mark
  • I purchased a 94 Taurus and am getting 120km to 30 liters.
    The problem may be something like a carburator needle valve but I am new to fuel injection. I have read that the air pressure sensor or gas return valve may be the cause. what would you suggest? I am still unfamiliar with these terms but can do research if I know where to look.
  • I'm having the same exact issue as you and "greydragon" with the dashboard light on my 2002/2003 Taurus. Did you ever find out what was wrong and how to fix it?
  • I'm having the same exact issue as you with the dashboard light on my 2002/2003 Taurus and at the same time intervals. Did you ever find out what was wrong and how to fix it?
  • No, I am still trying to figure it out. I am thinking about replacing the dash board cluster.
  • Hey all I couldn't find a Mystique forum so I hope someone here might know something. I have a 1999 Mercury Mystique LS sedan with 214000 miles on it. Lately when the weather is cold and it sits outside for an extended period of time (like overnight or while im at work) it wont start. I have to crank it like 10 or 12 times before she will fire. It is definitely not the battery, I have had a friend listen to it while I was cranking it and we both agree the battery is fine. I took it to my mechanic but he could find nothing wrong, basically said they couldn't find out what was wrong unless I brought it to them when it would not start. Any ideas?