Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• lveallveal Posts: 1
    I am happy owner of Nissan Altima who until today, snubbed my nose at "domestic" cars1 Today I drove a 99 Taurus and changed my view completely! I am planning to buy a late model used Taurus - probably spending $12,000 for SE model - does this sounds reasonable? Anything in particular to look for?
  • goldorakgoldorak Posts: 6
    Here, go there, I found it in the FAQ of SHOtimes: http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3stall.html
  • goldorakgoldorak Posts: 6
    Well, the only answer (don't worry, I'm not complaining, I know it's not everyone who's got a '95 SHO...)I got on how reliable was the '95 SHO was pretty harsch on the car. And all the information I've read about Tauruses so far all point to one thing: The Taurus seems to be a very unreliable car, and I've read tons of horror stories that got me pretty scared about this model. So here's the thing, can anyone here convince me that the '95 SHO is still agreat buy or should I just start looking for something else?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    don't label the taurus as unreliable. the 96-99 have been quite reliable.

the 86-95 have particular parts of the car that have maybe been in question.

Any of the Taurus with the 3.8 OHV v6 could maybe be deemed unreliable. This motor has a history of blown heads, but this is well documented.

A lot of Taurus' of all models / years up to 95 have had auto tranny problems from itme to time.

And yes, the SHO's of 89-95 have been questionable, although the later models and automatics 92-95 seem to hold up better than the 89-91'a. I had an 89 SHO and it was not a Toyota, but at the same time it was not junk.

The 95 will be a good buy 4 u if you get it cheap enough and save a little mony on the side for fixes (as anyone should do when they buy a used car, why do you think the seller is selling it in the first place!!!)

I would browse consumer reports also for reliability ratings.
  • I looking to buy a used 97' Taurus. I was hoping if anyone can tell me anything I should look for about this year model. It was a company car and has 75,000 miles on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    about the only thing to inquire about is the transmission.

I have a sales man friend who racked up 80,000 on a '96 Vulcan v6 and 90,000 on a '97 Vulcan v6 taurus that were both trouble free, although he may have had the tranny checked out on the 96 for something. The 97 was flawless. Then they took away the Taurus and he had to choose between the Dodge Stratus and several GM makes (Century, Grand Am, Malibu, Lumina, Monte). He couldn't stomach the GM stuff so he went with a Stratus but is looking forward to the new 2001 Taurus being available to him this fall.
  • missomisso Posts: 2
    I have test driven a 2000 Taurus SES that I like but there seems to be excessive air noise when on the highway, like the door isn't closed all the way or the window isn't up. The salesman had the service department check it out and they said they didn't find anything wrong with the seals. The salesman told me if they could find something that's fixable they'd fix it. Has anyone else experienced excessive air noise on the 2000s?
  • barjonbarjon Posts: 27
    Misso, I've had my 2000 Taurus SEL for 2 months now and I also notice noise from the front passenger-side door at speeds above 50 mph. It's like a "buzzing" sound that I hear. I'm not sure if it's coming from the upper door frame or the outside pull handle. It seems to stop when the car gets wet from rain. I haven't mentioned this to my service department yet because I'm waiting to see if it goes away with time.

I remember a similar situation when my '97 Taurus was new, and treating the rubber seals around the door with a silicone lubricant stopped the noise.
  • matramatra Posts: 5
    I also have an Sel...today I heard a noise with the drivers window just cracked slightly...when the window was closed....no noise...could be seals...
    Keep you informed.
    Matra
  • tcengiatcengia Posts: 4
    I noticed the wind noise soon after purchasing my SES. The dealership couldn't isolate the problem.
    However, after washing the car I noticed several areas around the windows of both rear doors that were leaking. The dealership had to order 2 new door window channel gaskets. They are still on back order. I'll let you know if this eliminates the wind noise.
  • dawaynedawayne Posts: 2
    I bought the car this April 18 and it was back in the shop the 23rd of the same month and about every 2 or 3 weeks after that. The first problem was the front in shaking when braking the steering wheel would shake so they replaced only 2 tires and turned the disc's next problem car pulling to the left tried to fix it then it pulled to the right. Next problem you would have to drive over 100 miles before the gas gauge would register that was replaced twice and still not working right next problem the back door windows LEAK water,seals have been replaced and it still leaks not a bad leak but bad enough the inside gets wet. I'm not saying all Ford Tauru's are bad, (but). I will say that the dealer I got it from was Duval ford in Jax,fla and the only one that has really helped me is my service advisor the rest of management could care less. Just to let you know I have been awarded to get a total refund of my down payment plus all the payments made. This was my first Ford and will never buy one again because of this. Concerned Consumer.
  • dawaynedawayne Posts: 2
    Sorry I forgot to mention that my car is a 2000 Ford Taurus that I bought brand new!!!!!
  • The wife got a new 2000 Taurus SES in early May. She loves it. Her only complaint is the gas mileage 18 mpg in town, 23-24 mpg on the highway. My experience is that this car handles better than Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. When we were looking we drove both of those fine automobiles and picked the Taurus because it had enough headroom for our 6'2" sons in the backseat with a moonroof. The only other car that did was the Chevy Impala and my wife said that car was too big for her. The Taurus has more than enough get up and go for our needs but I wouldn't consider this a "muscle car".
    The rear door molding on one of the doors had a slight gap has been discussed in other postings. When the dealer was looking at it he preceded to break the door molding and has ordered a replacement molding. In the meantime the gap he have now is very big so if you bring this up to the dealer make sure he has door moldings on hand.
    On other comment, the August issue of Consumer Reports published costs to repair several vehicles including the 1992 Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry. The cost of repairing the Accord and Camry was considerable higher than the Taurus (i.e. engine short block+assembly and valve grind+gasket set: Taurus-$3,240, Accord-$5490, Camry-$5230.) This tells me two things: first that the Accord and Camry use more expensive parts, and two they better be reliable since the cost of fixing them is very high. Is there any other place to see similar data?
  • Several folks have made reference in this forum to the "Impala being a bigger car than the Taurus"; I'm here to dispel the myth. For the full comparison, follow the link:

http://www.autoweb.com/researchnew/compareDetails.htm?modelone=2000FORTAURUS%2D%2DSE%2DF4SDN%2D%2D&modeltwo=2000CVYIMPALA%2D%2DBASF4SDN%2D%2D&pricerange=&searchtype=surel

The quick and dirty:
    Weight - Impala weighs 21 lbs. more
    Width - exactly the same
    length - Impala 2" longer
    height - Impala 1.4' taller, but the Taurus has more interior headroom!

Looks can be decieving; the last version of the Impala was much bigger than the Taurus; the differences in the 2000 models is negligible.
  • bag11bag11 Posts: 1
    I currently own my second Taurus and overall am very happy with the performance and reliablity. Note: much happy with the '97 over my current '98 model.
    But, in both models I'm getting a whine/moan from the back wheels. Brakes are fine and were replace about 15,000 miles ago. Very noticeable during stop and go traffic. I've brought it to the dealer twice and they can't fix it.
    Has anyone else had this problem and had it corrected?
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Posts: 572
    Been thinking about ordering a 2001 Crown Victoria, they are offered with 240 hp engine in the handling & performance package. I have to say, other than gas mileage, for a few thousand more you get a much bigger, more solid, body on frame automobile. Not to mention, easily ungradable for more power with the Mustang parts floating around.

I have a 92 Taurus, but I am impressed with the fact that I see tons of old Crown Vics around, and I know of several that have hit 200,000 miles with few problems.

There is a reason cabs and cops use these instead of vans, SUV's, Taurus, Impala's, etc. I'm not sure if I can handle the gas mileage, but hey, it is back under $1.30 around here, and I have the Miata in the garage.

Just another option for any Ford lovers out there.
    240 hp? is that the SOHC 4.6v8?
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    I don't know how consumer reports became the ultimate authority on auto reliability. They shouldn't be; do you know if their surveys are statistically valid?

Furthermore, they never mention the repair cost, insurance cost etc for certain recommended cars are high.

Bottom line - if you take that rag as gospel good luck to you. My opinion is they are biased. They give good reliability ratings on new (just itroduced) Toyotas and Hondas. Yet - no rating for a GM or a Ford. What gives. Is it written in their Bible that these brands are always reliable. Are these brands always a wisw dollar choice?

Consumer Reports is not unbiased!
    consumer reports is kinda right up there with national public radio......

you can take that to mean whatever you want it to........
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Posts: 572
    Yes, I believe they put a new cylinder head from the Mustang GT on the engine this year. The 240 hp is with the package, the base engine now puts out 225 hp. Have not driven one yet, but I wish you could get the handling & performance package with the rear axle ratio of the base car.

Last year, the base model (200 hp) would do 0-60 in under nine seconds. Don't know what it will do with the 240 hp and the gear ratio.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    I guess car buyers all across the country did. I think it's a helpful tool for narrowing down your choices. Most other auto magazines also rate Hondas and Toyotas highly. Are they all bias too? Back to Consumer Reports. When new (or redesigned) models are introduced, they don't give reliability ratings on the car (even Hondas and Toyotas). They will indicate what the car's (or other cars from the same company) past history has been as a guide. JP Powers (also highly regarded) generally give high remarks to Hondas and Toyotas too. For personal reasons, I do hope Consumer Reports is more accurate than JD Powers in regards to the VW Jetta's reliability history. Auto World Weekly, a brand new car enthusiast magazine that emphasizes road tests of cars that most people can buy, did a comparison test between the Taurus, Accord and Camry. They had the Taurus ahead of the Camry.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Is ahead of the Camry.
  • Hello fellow car buffs,

I unfortunately own a 92 Taurus LX with the infamous 3.8L that hasn't blown a head gasket ( Yet ). However, It seems they blow around the mid 90k range. Mine has only 89k on the odometer.

Well enough crying already. I had the tranny rebuilt and now I'm on to my next problem area. It seems that when I apply the brakes while coming to a gradual stop the front end shakes violently? I've replaced the rotors, pads and had two new tires installed on the front. I took a quick look at the suspension and it looked okay to me, nothing loose or broken. I'd take it to a shop but after the tranny rebuild, I really can't afford them to spend my money replacing things in their process of elimination method ( Midas ).

In closing, has anyone else had these problems with the front end? Also as a side note, I can feel the brake pedal sticking from time to time, is it possible the ABS is malfunctioning?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd sell it, but have more in it than what it is worth. :(

Thanks
  • The information presented in Consumer Reports on repair cost in August 2000 was based on the following: the Mitchell Estimating Guide, an industry manual, except for most transmissions, where they used estimates from Portland Transmission in Connecticut, and radiators, which came from Modine, a manufacturer. The information they presented was to help one decide whether to trade in the old car or but a new one. If you like to know about cost data for repairs this article was interesting. But it was for 1992 models so probably has little bearing on the new cars.
  • Sorry everyone,

In haste, I posted this mechanical problem in this forum. I later found the appropriate forum for my problems within this web-site.

Sorry, once again.
  • slunarslunar Posts: 479
    Although this is a Taurus forum....
    I believe that the 2001 Crown Vic 240 HP engine is not the Mustang GT engine (260 HP) but instead uses totally new SOHC heads. The new heads use direct actuated tappets (similar to what the LS 3.9L DOHC V8 uses) in place of the rocker arm actuated valves. The 4.6L engine is also supposed to go to an aluminum block, don't remember if this is happening in 2001 or 2002.
  • aparnet2aparnet2 Posts: 13
    Hello everyone,

I have just bought a taurus GL 93' with around 70k miles on it. The thing is that when it was started this noon, there was white smoke or fog coming of the muffler (the pipe stretching from the rear part of the body) with water or some liquid dribbling. And there was a strong smell of oil around the car. I doubt that the oil was burnt in the engine.

What kind of problem is it? Is this problem very serious? By the way, I'm in Gainesville, Florida.

So many thanks,
    Aparnet2
  • Auparnet2,

I'm sorry to hear about your car. I believe the GL has the 3.8L. There is actually a recall on the 94-95 Taurus' with the same engine for faulty head gaskets that fail prematurely. I too have have a Taurus' LX w/3.8L it only has 89K on the engine and I pray that I can get it to 100K without any trouble. From the symptoms you're describing It sounds like classic head gasket failure. White smoke, water or coolant out the muffler. What ever you do, don't drive or run the engine, you might have antifreeze in the crankcase? This could ruin your engine real fast. Check the oil dip stick and see if it is creamy or has bubbles in it? Check out the other discussion groups relating to the Ford Taurus and the head gasket problem.

Good Luck,
  • aparnet2aparnet2 Posts: 13
    shadetree33,

Thank you for your response!It's a GL with 3.0L. However, even an engine of 3.0L can still have the head-gaskets failure you mentioned. Right? (Another thing is the parts of the engine and transmission, everything is unbelievably clean and shiny better than new. I have been uncomfortable with this. And now I guess the dealership had tried to fix this problem.) Can this failure results in slight vibration of the engine when driving? I can feel it with the steering wheel.

After it came to a stop after some driving and then started again right away, there seemed no smoke.

The salesman of the dealership explained that the smoke was condensation.
  • weslwesl Posts: 53
    Aparnet2:
    The salesman is probably right if the smoke is not very thick and it disappears when the car warms up. If you had a head gasket leak you would notice an increased level of coolant consumption and possibly though not always a thick white smoke that smells like maple syrup. I cannot tell you where the oil smell is coming from, but when you first start the car the catalytic converter is not operating fully and is releasing more emissions than usual. This smell is normal, unless you have an oil leak that drips on the exhaust and then burns off as the engine heats up. Finally, the 3.0L engine does not have a history of head gasket failure. Hope this information helps. Later, Wes.
This discussion has been closed.