Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    should it stay or should it go ? - da da da da dada da da. (Wasn't that a song or something ?)

Anyway I suggest that if the car runs well and is paid for that you just keep it. It's not worth very much anymore so you'll need to drive it to get any value out of it. A new car is going to cost you much.

As far as head gaskets, Well the Fords of that vintage from about 1995 to 1999 have been known to have problems with their head gaskets. It was something about the gasket material that they used. They saved about $0.50 a car and caused many of their customers to pay for major head gasket repairs.

By the way, what does a head gasket job cost for a 1995 Mustang ?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I may be wrong, but I have always read that the 3.8 V-6 was the only Taurus engine that had significant amounts of blown head gasket problems, and this engine was not an option from model year 1996 on. So, I am unaware of any head gasket issues from 1996 model year and newer, correct?

For 1999 model years I would guess transmissions might be most suspect, but given the vast numbers of Tauri/Sables on the road, picking up a rebuilt one shouldn't be that expensive. I would stick with a 30K transmission fluid change schedule.

Slovikovsky, at the low rate you are putting miles on the car, less than 4k a year, you should be good for at least ten more years with your Taurus. No need to invest in something expensive when you are putting that low mileage on per year.
  • atuckeratucker Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon (29500 mi!!) Everything is perfect...well, almost! I was looking through the owners manual, and there was a card for the keyless entry (keypad). I decided to learn how to use it. The code on the card does NOT work, and the dealer wants $82.50 to "diagnose/reprogram" the code. I want to see if I can track down the code on the "computer module". I have heard that the module ("RAP module", I believe) is somewhere in the driver's side footwell. I don't see any stickers with a 5 digit code in the vast array of wires/boxes. I'm thinking (hoping, really) that the code in the owners manual is wrong. (Maybe they threw an different manual set in the car before I bought it)
    Anyway...does anyone know, for sure, where the module is that I need to get the code from??
    Thanks!!!
    Allen
  • from 2700-4500 if you want brand new everything....no
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Can't the owners set their own code? If so, the previous owner may have done so and you would need to have the dealer reset it in that case.
  • automan227automan227 Posts: 118
    The car comes with a code preprogrammed from the factory. This code CANNOT be changed or removed, however does allow for the owner to add/change/remove ONE personal code.

The dealer should be able to either lookup the correct code, and if they can't, then yes, you will have to hook up the car to a computer to get the code.
    Thanks for the replies. The keycode is supposed to be on the module that controls the keypad. (I've seen it referred to as a "RAP module") Before I go to a dealer, I want to check the code on the module, and see if it is, in fact, the same code that is on the card in the owners manual. I'm not sure what the module looks like, as there are MANY modules/control boxes under the dash. I was wondering if anyone knows EXACTLY where the module is located, and what I'm looking for. I've seen forums on Taurus's that state the module is directly above the accelerator pedal, but it's not located there on my Sable wagon. The keypad will lock the doors, as it's supposed to...it's unlocking the doors that doesn't work. I hate to be so lengthy in this post, but I'm hoping that the keycode in the drivers manual is wrong, and I can get the correct code from the module itself. My car is a wagon, so the code is NOT in the trunk, as it would be in a sedan. I've also seen illustrations for Taurus's that show the exact location of the module, but that is NO help for the Sable wagon. I want to ensure that the code is correct, before I pay a dealer to do something that I can (hopefully)look up myself. Thanks again!!
  • automan227automan227 Posts: 118
    I know that it is in the trunk on my G4 Taurus, but that doesn't really help you.

You can check some of your door jambs, particularly the trunk area. See if you have any access panels in the trunk that come off (IE for a CD Changer), and see if they have it in there.

Also, I know its far fetched, but perhaps under the hood?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

AS
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Did you buy from private party, used car dealer, or a Ford or Mercury dealer?

If you bought it private party, can you contact them and get the code? If you bought from a used car dealer or new car dealer, they should be responsible for getting you the code or reprogramming it no charge, as in my opinion, you did not get the car complete if you did not get the code or a reprogrammed keypad.
  • The code is on a sticker on the computer, behind the glovebox, on the firewall, IIRC. It IS on the computer.
    I don't mean to sound like a goof <g>, but what is "IIRC"?

Thanks!
    AT
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    "If I Recall Correctly" :)
    Thanks...I've looked behind the glove box, and needless to say, I see lots of wires and boxes, but I don't know what exactly I'm looking for. I even used a mirror in the hard to reach places (aren't they ALL hard to reach?), and can't find a five digit number...

AT
    I just noticed this morning that one of the rear speakers in my Sable Wagon isn't working. (not that they are great sounding in the first place!) I don't know how long it's been out, because it's not noticable with all the controls in the "middle" positions. Anyway, I think I will try to take the rear hatch panels off, or at least loosen them to check the speaker connection.

Are the two small bolts on the rear hatch (inside) handle the ones that hold the panels on? I tried to loosen one of the plastic "screws" on the panel around the window, and it just spins...

Thanks in advance!

AT
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    I think you'll find that those things that look like plastic screws are really threaded push on connectors. They may have screw heads, but they push in and must be pulled out.
  • mettechmettech Posts: 28
    I have a 03 Sable LE... after 23K miles I can say... nice car, only problem was the door seals... seat could be better... overall, for the money, I would buy it again...

My biggest problem however, is the resale value for it... Why so low?... It has to be the worst of any car in its class?
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Posts: 205
    On my 2002 Sable I hear a jarring noise coming occasionally from passangers side of dashboard, when I drive on concrete freeway (like I580), but disaapears when I switch to smooth freeway (like I-880). Seems like some resonance. It may dissapear when freeway turns.

Does anyone on the board know how to fix it ?
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Because there are so many and the Accord and Camry are also plentiful and higher rated. The main reason most would buy a used Taurus over an Accord is to get a bargain. Everyone has to undercut everyone else to get rid of theirs, so resale just gets lower and lower.
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    Bought a 1993 taurus in '94 for about 10k. Including 75k extended warranty from ford. 150000 miles and still gets me to work. Have had minor problems in the last ten years but all in all a cost effective commuter. The low initial cost for a used one cannot be beat by the imports especially if you plan on being the last owner.
    My last commuter was a 1982 Olds Omega It finally retired at about 270000 miles. Drove it to the junkyard on its own steam.
    Taurus even gets 30 mpg on the highway.....
    Oh What A Feeling....
    I could be driving a civic or corolla for more money
  • I have a similar problem, and when I took it into the dealership under warranty, they said it was due to ArmorAll getting into the vents when the dashboard is really hot (I live in the South, so by really hot, they mean well over 100 degrees). If you use ArmorAll, this may be the problem you are experiencing. Weird sounding, I know, but once the service technician explained it to me, it sounded plausible. The problem always disappears once the car cools down with the a/c.