Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• My car is a '94 ford Taurus with 151,000 miles, 3.0 l, v-6

A noise like a growl (sounds like failing bearings or rubbing) can be heard with the car in drive or reverse and running but stopped. This noise becomes a chirp (sounds like a slipping belt) when I take off. While driving at a constant speed, the sound becomes a randomly spaced but persistent squeak that stops when I put the car in neutral.

I first suspected the tranny, since I have had so many tranny troubles. I took the belt off and started the car. When put into drive it made no added noise. I concluded it must be something connected to or rubbing on the belt.

With the belt back on, I listened to the water pump, alternator and ps pump w/ a stethoscope. Both the alternator and the ps pump sounded much different with the car in gear. WHY IS THIS? WHY IS THE LOAD ON THESE ITEMS DIFFERENT WITH THE CAR IN DRIVE BUT NOT GOING ANYWHERE?

The water pump has 24 k, the alternator is original and both the ps pump and the idler pulley have 400 miles of use.

With the belt off I spun everything that would turn. Nothing sounded or felt noteworthy except the water pump really only wanted to turn one way, but it sounded the same in gear and out with the stethoscope.

Any ideas? Someone suggested the harmonic balancer. Would it behave differently with the tranny in gear than out?
  • I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE with 58,000 miles on it. It runs well, but recently the light on the speedometer went out. I was wondering if any of you guys knew the procedure for replacing this, and how difficult it was. Thanks a lot.
  • Mercury to drop Sable next spring!
    Mercury will discontinue its long-suffering Sable sedan after the 2005 model year. Production of the Sable at Ford Motor Co.'s Atlanta assembly plant is expected to end in April.

You must be a subscriber to read full article.
    http://www.autonews.com/
  • shank6shank6 Posts: 64
    That's too bad about the Sable. The styling of the new Montego does nothing for me at all. I'm a Mercury man from way back, (86 Cougar LS} and I think they offer a quality product. I'm planning on taking my 2000 Sable LS to 200,000 miles.

I haven't had any serious problems, and the ride and fit of the car is just fine for my wife(she has the 2002 Sable LS}and I.
  • suffering, is not my word, thats part of the article. Personally I think the Sable is one of the nicest looking cars Ford made. My son owns a 2001.
    Here is another link:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101362
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I know style is subjective, but really, you don't care for the style of the Montego? I liked the new Sable when it came out in 2000 a lot, but I like the new Montego even more. I especially like that cascading grille Mercury is making a trademark now. I like it on the Mountaineer we have now, we've had 2 of them, and I like it on the Montego. Well, YMMV.
  • shank6shank6 Posts: 64
    I guess we all have different tastes nvbanker. These cars have been good to me so I hate to see change, but nothing stays the same forever, especially in the car market.

Maybe the styling of the Montego will grow on me after a while. Also wish Ford would upgrade the horsepower a bit (225 to 250)in the Duratech. It's been such a good powerplant though maybe they don't want to mess with success
  • I bought a 2004 Taurus and to my Dismay it has a CASSETTE player yet all the dash buttons are for Cd's..Does ANYONE know of a way to get a CD player hooked up to the in-dash stereo??? HELP!!!!! FORD should retro-fit all these 2004's with a 21st Century stereo system.HELLO!!!!!
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    what's so successful about this powerplant?

it doesn't compare farorably to its conterparts from honda, toyota (3.2 not the 3.0), GM (3.6 OHC) and nissan.
    You should have a plug in the trunk for a CD changer to be installed that those buttons will work - see your dealer, or a reputable stereo shop. Of course, the stereo shop will want to put in a Sony for $1200, so I'd at least talk to my dealer to see who they use, so you may be able to get the more reasonably priced Ford unit if you want it, which IMO, is good enough. YMMV.
  • jdiaz2jdiaz2 Posts: 16
    I like the Duratec. Not the fastest engine out there, but has a nice honk above 3500rpm, gives 25 mpg in our wagon all day long, and hardly requires any attention on a regular basis. Definitely can't complain with the experience we've had with the engine (or our Taurus for that matter).

Jon
  • oxmeadoxmead Posts: 65
    my 2000 sable wagon make this noise/vibration that kinda sound like a coffee can with nuts and bolts in it. it's done it since it was new,but not all the time. I can't make it do this , its completly random. It never does it when the car is anywhere near the dealer. I notice it mostly when driving with a very light foot, like driving along the side of a fast food drive up window or up ramps in a parking garage. I thought it might be some sort of heat shield or somthing, but I've looked every where under the car and cant find anything loose. has anyone else had this ? thanks
    It could be a loose accelerator cable, or just about a loose anything else, unfortunately...
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    If your car is SES w/ Vulcan engine, I bet, it is pinging. Ford Ranger trucks with the same engine do the same thing. search the internet and you'll find bunch of info.
  • oxmeadoxmead Posts: 65
    no, I got the duratec. It never makes the noise/vibration at over 20-25 mph and only for a few seconds. usually when acelerating very lightly from a stop or after the trans shifts to 2nd. It sounds like it's coming from under the car. It doesn't seem like it's engine related. I even thought it might be something in the exhaust. If I was sure , I'd have it changed.
  • I just had the latest recall on the front end. When the car was returned to me I got a loud popping noise, which came from the front driver side. Looked over everthing and everything was tighten down. Noone including Ford can figure out what it is. Has anyone experienced this situation.
  • moerodmoerod Posts: 7
    anyone know where to find the keypad code for a 2001 sable ls premium sedan. i've look in the trunk and can't see anything. Anyone know where else it could be.
    If you can get under the dash on the driver's side, there may be a sticker you can see with a 5 digit code on it on a label stuck on a part there. If not, your dealer can give it to you from the vin number. Some of them will charge you to look it up - others will be nice and won't.
  • I just bought a 1999 Sable with a Duratec V6 with 75,000 miles on it. I really like this car alot. However, the Low Coolant Light comes on when ever I drive. I have checked the coolant and it is NOT low. What do I need to do or check next? Thanks.
    Change the sensor, disconnect it, or take the bulb out of the socket in the dash.