Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    When is Taurus production slated to end for good? Will it be in 2006, or '07?
  • heartmdheartmd Posts: 9
    Every repair I have to do on this car has to be balanced by the current cost of the car ($500)
    Somehow the a/c cools marginal on the hottest day.
    So if I just let it go for now what happens?
    How long till it freezes? or will it just make a racket and a lot of noise and thats it?

I presume I need the hose removal tool to remove the a/c compressor. I intend to have it evacuated and filled with gas professionally as I dont have the equipment. Any ideas?

In 1998, a colleague of mine drove the car with no power steering (PS) fluid. Now everytime the car turns the PS pump makes a loud whine (10 times the normal). How do you remove the fanbelt that drives the PS and the AC? I did not see an idler pulley or anyway to even adjust the tension of this belt.

Also the book tells me that I need a special tool to remove the PS pulley first before the PS pump can be removed. Is that right? Why cant I remove the whole thing at the mounting?
    The preamble to item 1 is that the AC Clutch makes a racket and I want to know if it might seize/freeze
    Possibly the ac clutch. Check if the chirp stops with the ac on
  • Hello Everyone,
    I have the opportunity to buy a used Sable through my company's fleet-return program. The prices seems pretty good, but it's difficult to figure out how the cars are equipped. The 2003 Sable LS I'm considering now has Preferred Equipment Package 905A. Does anyone know what that package includes are (even better) where one can look such packages up online? Thanks!
  • momw7momw7 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 sable wagon and found the code by looking on the drivers side way up under the dash on the side of a fuse box (I think). It wasn't easy to read, I had to get my 13 year old son who had good vision and a smaller head to actually read the number for me. It's just a white sticker with black print. The owner's manual said to call Mercury who told me to take it to a dealer who tried to get me to pay for an overall inspection. I had decided to just live without it when a used car salesman told me to just look for it.
  • tedwardstedwards Posts: 6
    Gyates you replied to a previous message (#3066) about replacing the blower motor resistor. I have purchased this part and would like to install it. Can you or anyone else tell me where it goes and how do I get to it('01 Taurus SES)
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    So Friday night I was driving home going about 65 and I saw a flash of white, slammed on the brakes, heard a bang and saw a deer roll several times into the ditch. The hood and windshield took all the damage but what I can't figure out is the airbags went off. Since this is my first deer hit in more than 11 years of driving, I'm curious if that's standard procedure for a '97 GL with a Vulcan?

It doesn't really bother me that they did deploy, but it seems like too "soft" a hit.
  • tedwardstedwards Posts: 6
    I found it and replaced it but now my blower makes a squeeling noise at times, its very intermittent.
  • glorycagloryca Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, :)

I have a 1996 Mercury Sable Wagon and last night i just noticed my door lights won't were on all night long and they won't go out. :confuse: Now i get the signal that one of the doors is not properly closed, but they all are, i checked several times and they are all properly closed. Any ideas of what i could do?

Thanks a lot! :P
  • haulthault Posts: 122
    When pumping gas into tank on my 2000 Taurus w/ 40,000 miles the pump keeps shutting off prior to filling up. Any ideas ?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Check post 1491 in the Taurus/Sable Maintenance and repair discussion here in Edmunds. It might help.
  • fm344fm344 Posts: 1
    How do I replace the blower motor resistor and blower motor? Is there a repair manual I can purchase for the 2002 Mercury Sable?
  • gyatesgyates Posts: 55
    The resistor is behind the glove box. Lay in the floor and look up, you will see it. It is held in with 2 screws. I only had to replace the resistor, my blower motor is fine. I feel certain that Haynes makes a manual for this car. For me, if a repair is much more than replacing this resistor, I am going back to the dealer. My car is a 2001 SES with 52k, and so far, this is the only part replacement since new.
  • knipperknipper Posts: 2
    I have a 97 mercury sable 180168 kilometers on it. The service engine light is on. I hooked up an On Board Diagnostic - NO CODES SHOWED. Can anyone help

Thanks
  • Question. On the 2000 Taurus SE are ABS standard?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    No in 2000 model year , ABS was an available option on the SE but not standard.

ABS was standard on the SES and SEL.
  • espelpespelp Posts: 1
    This happened to my 97 Sable. The switches in the door latch mech. are sticking. Try spraying your door latches with generous amounts of WD-40 and then close and open the doors several times each so the lub. is distributed well. This should fix both issues.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
  • vppcvppc Posts: 58
    Hello, everyone!

I am getting ready to purchase (4) new tires for my 2001 SES with 66,200 miles on it. I am getting H-rated 215/60/16 Fusion HRi performance all-season tires. They will surely be good for all the curves I drive on. I am getting them all mounted and balanced, tax and all for just $201.30!

Meanwhile, I was going to ask if anyone noticed a "car vibration sensation" when going on curves and hills while having the foot on the pedal? I always assumed it was the crappy touring tires I have on there now (they are down to 5/32). Or, is it something else? If you DO NOT have the foot on the pedal (coasting), it will NOT do this.

Thanks!
    - Alex