Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I have an '05 that is a company provided vehicle. It was new when I picked it up. I have had the passenger side wheel bearing replaced (now the other side is making noise) and also brakes at 25,000 miles. I HAVE NEVER owned a car that needed brakes before 32,000 miles.
    I have just heard the next company cars will be the 500's. I also know my company will not pay substantially more for them than the Taurus. This tells me that the 500's must be selling very slow for Ford to release them in to fleets at a fire sale price.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    The 500's are priced a bit higher than the Taurus and most likely they aren't selling that quickly so I wouldnt be surprised if they are rolled out into the fleets, at least i'm not the only one with Taurus problems.
  • I need to replace the seatbelt/shoulder harness on my son's 2000 Taurus and I've located one from a junkyard. What's involved in removing the old one and replacing it with the one I'm buying? What tools are required? I'm looking for instructions or if it's too big a job for me, I'll take it to a service station. Thanks in advance for your ideas. Either post here or email: aea5j@yahoo.com
  • First of all, change the transmission fluid. The tranny is the "weak link" in your car--and if you are driving faster that means you are driving harder, so maintain it, maintain it, maintain it. K&N filters work well in these cars. Also, you might look into a custom fabricated cat-back exhaust with a Flowmaster(or similar) muffler out back. That's really about all you need. But honestly, even if you fix it up a little, go easy on the car. Those transmissions are weak, and costly. Good luck!
  • I have a 2001 Taurus Se. AC works great but in cooler weather when I turn it off and just use the air vents, I get a smell like stinky socks or rotting leaves. I have checked all filters, cleaned out everything I could find and still can't rid of the smell.

Dealer says he would have to take entire dash off to investigate but he has no idea either.

Anyone experience this?

Please help.
  • you may have a coolant leak in your engine compartment. this happened to me and i got a nasty smell of rotten feet. check your heater hoses and radiator hoses. the metal pipes on the taurus coolant lines have a tendancy to rust through, they may need replacing. also take off your passenger compartment air filter which is located under the windshield of the passenger side of the car. remove the plastic cover underneath your wiperblade. the filter should be changed once a year. cost is about $20.
  • is it possible to remove the factory set up of two catalytic converters and manifold, to a set of performance headers flowing into a single catalytic converter? Also, are there any aftermarket MAF sensors that are compatable to a cold air intake that will work with my taurus? a couple friends told me if i put a cold air intake on the stock MAF it will cause poor fuel economy
    I hate to tell you this, but I wouldn't alter the exhaust system. You open yourself up to all kind of problems. You could have the "check engine" light come on due to different readings by the 02 sensors. If this increases your horsepower, I am not sure the transmission over time can take it. I really wouldn't touch what you are doing with a ten foot pole........
  • I bought a 2004 Taurus SES today from a Hertz Car Sales in San Diego. My "research" online led me to believe I was buying a 155 HP. I thought the SES was 155 and the SEL was 201 HP.

Opening the hood during the test drive I saw it was a Duratec 24V DOHC (emblem on outside of car says same thing .... duhhh!). I assume that is good, as in I have 200 HP.

I was pleasantly surprised with how the "155 HP" engine was doing during the test drive!

Where is a good spec on this engine? The Owner's Manual is worthless.

I think the price was fairly decent at $9,995. I hope the car is also decent for reliability for a few-to-four years.
    I think the price was fairly decent at $9,995. I hope the car is also decent for reliability for a few-to-four years.

Yes, it sounds like the price was good. I have an '05 SE with the base motor. It is a company car and now has 30K on it. I can tell you I have already replaced the passenger side wheel bearing, and now the drivers side is making noise. I am glad it's company provided vehicle, I would never buy one of these based on the history with this one.

I hope you have better luck with yours!
  • I would tend to believe your cabin air filter is full of mold. Happens more in the southern states than up north but still happens. You can't clean it but replacement is very easy. Dealers love to tell you that they have to "Take the dash out" to get at it but that's just not so, It's about a 15 minute job or less. Definately check that first.
  • With a cat-back exhaust system, you replace everything behind the cats, so with the Taurus I am assuming you won't touch any sensitive parts such as the 02 sensors or anything similar. You shouldn't have any problems if you leave the headers and catalytic converters in place.

Edge
  • Can you remove the back seat in the 2002 Ford Taurus
    SE Sedan? Need to haul a long table. Thanks for your help.
    You may be able to remove the seat. However, did you look to see if there are any supports, etc. behind the seat?

It may be easier to rent a truck or call upon a friend who has a pickup!
  • Howdy profweeks- I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for when you say "where is a good spec on this engine". If you're looking for performance information, check out the 2000 Edmunds Family Car Comparison. Here's a link-

link title

The Taurus placed third out of nine cars in the test. The test car has the 200hp Duratec engine. The quoted 0-60 time is 8.3 seconds...not too shabby.
  • Could re programming the PCM module have any effect in MPG. If so, what devices are controlled by the PCM to effect MPG. Have been experiencing poor gas mileage. Dealer says that the PCM may have to be re programmed.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Well, if the dealer thinks something like this needs to be done, why not just let them do it. Should be free under warranty, and what have you got to lose?

It would be a bit surprising to me that there would be a software issue in Tauri at this time as the car has been in production essentially with few or no changes for many years now.

I don't know which engine you have, but with either the Vulcan or Duratec engines typically you should be able to get 27-30 highway, but your city mileage will vary greatly depending on your driving style and how congested your "city" driving conditions are. I usually can get 20-24, but my city driving is not particularly congested.
  • vppcvppc Posts: 58
    Hi, everyone!

A friend of mine is really considering buying an excellent condition black 2002 Mercury Sable LS. It has the following:

- 55,000 miles
    - Duratec 24V engine
    - Leather
    - Power Pedals and Driver's Seat
    - Auto-Dim RV Mirror
    - Compass
    - Auto Temp Control
    - AM/FM Cass (No MACH or CD Changer)
    - No ABS, Traction, or Side Airbags (Has rear drums)

This car rides very smoothly and that motor moves! The steering, handling, tires, and suspension are all first-rate and there are no rattles in the interior. The brakes are new all the way around! Everything works and she LOVES it! I love it! I told her it would be a great car considering my '01 Taurus SES has 88,700 miles and runs like new and has given me no trouble.

The price at the dealer was $10,900 and she was offered $8,600. I think it is a great deal. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    - Alex
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    While you wait for some feedback here, check out the Edmunds Used Car Appraiser.

You might also try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed above the post box.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I don't know if that price is a great deal, but Tauri/Sable do depreciate fairly fast, which is a plus for anyone buying one used.

They are indeed very good cars, especially when equipped with the Duratec V-6. Solid, with good handling and no suspension wallowing, but no harshness to the ride. Most underappreciated car in the market, in my opinion.

You can certainly check the Edmunds used car price calculator, or check want ads, dealer lots, etc for comparison prices to see if it is a good deal.

Remember, new car dealers usually mark their used cars up a lot, so there is a whole lot of room for them to come down in price. You can always get to their bottom line by not being too eager to buy, walking out the door, etc and letting them sit on their "final offer" for a day or two. Leave them your phone number and they might come down more.