Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• sable93sable93 Posts: 107
    Hey everybody, guess what. This weekend, I took a plunge (or I should say my bank account took a plunge), and I traded my '93 Sable GS in for a '97 Taurus GL. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!! It is maroon with a tan interior, it has 6 speakers, premium wheels, pw, pl, and if I want, I can add a 6 cd changer later (the radio is set up for it.) I miss the power of the 3.8L in my Sable, but that is the only thing about the car I miss. Oh, I also really like the integrated radio/climate control pod. It seems like a great idea, and I am quickly getting used to it.

On top of all this, I also got a pretty good deal. $9200 including tax and title, with $4,000 for my trade in (which is above average for a '93 Sable.) I'll keep everyone posted on my "new" car. :o)
    I just looked at the invoice, the actual car cost $8600, but then the tax (6% in Ohio) brought it up to the $9200.
  • agtabbyagtabby Posts: 28
    Hey, all I can say to your statement on Pontiac is: AMEN! Geeze, these things have more plastic crud than a . . . . well, than last years Pontiac.

Sad, if they made a simply car with the 3.8 and a five speed and rear wheel drive that would be awesome.

"Plus the whole Pontiac thing just turns me off,
    Too NASCAR, too gigolo, too many buttons, too many
    lights, too spaceship, too Grand Am, too sorority,
    too 1992, way too much cheap dark plastic. To me,
    I just think Pontiac could back off on some of this
    wierdness and cheapness and just produce a car
    that isn't trying so hard to be some futuristictransport vessel."
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    not only the fact that Pontiac hasn't changed their "look" since the 1982 Grand Am.

In other words, it's getting old. And this new Aztek and Pihrana, yuck. Barf. The Aztek is the biggest styling lemon ever set forth on the American car buying public. Basically they must be acknowledging the vehicle is gonna suck (c'mon, a sport ute built off a minivan platform?) so they are trying to differentiate it with vomit inducing styling.

I digress. Really, with the Grand Prix my big gripe is the interior. But the Grand Am and Bonneville, ouch.
    How can ANYONE rag on Ford for the 96 Taurus styling when we see atrocities like the Pontiac Aztek?
  • 2629926299 Posts: 3
    The Taurus I was looking at didn't have the moonroof but it had the upgrade sound system something they called Mach. I appears your ses has most of the options of the sel, I do like the auto temp control. They only had three sel in stock no white but the salesman said wouldn't be any problem to find one.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Pinging is a result of timing issues or fuel/air misture ratio's. Take it back to the dealer and make them adjust it correctly.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Here is the latest sales figures for the 2000 Taurus:

from www.prnewswire.com

"Ford Taurus - Record April sales of 37,066, up 32 percent. Previous
    April record (35,070) was set 1989. New Product: Taurus redesigned for
    2000 model year."
  • honda33honda33 Posts: 2
    I have a 98 taurus SE that I just bought used a month ago. It has the duratec engine. The problem that I have with this engine is that it does not slow down very much when I take my foot off of the gas. If I am going 55 mph and take my foot off the gas on a flat surface, it keeps going 55 and will slow down very slowly. I was wondering if this was normal or not. It just drives me nuts that I have to hit the brakes all the time if I want to slow down at all. Thanks for any help on this.
    Taurus rules.

Chevy and Pontiac can eat dirt.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Olda and Buick are as good as dead. I. E. The hyped Intrigue is way down in this booming market. I am sure there were a lot of lemons made in the 1998 year, like Edmunds' long term car, that turned buyers off to GM forever.

The Taurus and Sable are kicking the already
    outdated Intrigue's, Regal's and Century's butts.
    GM thinks it can come up with a new car and not
    do anything to it for 7-8 years, like the old
    Cutlasses, Acheivas, and Centurys (ick). Now, cars have to be constantly updated, or else die.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Buick is not dead. Buick rates very high in customer satisfaction along with reliability ratings. Buick just has a stigma of being an "old persons car".
    As for Olds, I believe they will be merged into another branch of GM soon.
    Good to hear about the Taurus/Sable sales. I see quite a few of them around now and like the look more and more. The 16" wheels that come standard give the car a sporty, yet rich look. Score one for Ford for putting a nice wheel and tire on these cars. I still believe the Taurus will make the #2 spot by next year. The Camry will be the one to fall from grace.
  • indytabindytab Posts: 32
    Before buying our Taurus, I asked a local car audio shop if they could put in a CD changer using the pre-wired Ford system. Their reply was no, that they couldn't get the adapter that would work between their systems and Ford's wiring. Don't know the details, but this car audio place has been doing booming business for quite a few years. We folded the CD cost into our financing and love the CD changer. It's a bit odd having it in the trunk, but since it has 6 CDs you get alot of playtime before you have to open the trunk and change CDs.

I would like to get another magazine or two, though, so each person in our family could have their own 6 CD selection without having to constantly shift CDs around.
  • keithwandkeithwand Posts: 23
    What can anyone tell me about a 2000 Taurus SE SVG pkg. with FFV fuel option? Is the drivetrain ratio the same as the std. 3.0? What can I expect for performance (is there any?), etc.
    My co. car is on order and I have to sell a 99 Lexus GS400 w/ 300hp. Don't mind getting a free car but I'm not looking forward to 150hp either.
    Comments please.
  • pecospecos Posts: 8
    I did some research on the Flex Fuel version of the Taurus a couple of months ago when I was considering buying one. I too was concerned about any possible differences. Turns out the only difference between it and the regular Vulcan engine version of the Taurus is a sensor in the fuel tank that tells the engine what to expect fuel wise so that it can adjust accordingly. Since the FFV can accept fuel sold with up to an 85/15 ethanol/gasoline mix, there can be quite a range of what's actually in the tank at any given time. I don't think there's any difference in gear ratios whatsoever since the engine is I think still rated at 155hp. Ethanol is quite a bit more expensive than regular unleaded, hence there are no gas stations in my area that sell even a 15/85 mix which, by the way, all cars could use. I ended up buying a '00 Taurus about a month later with the Duratec engine instead. I just wanted the extra hp for extended highway driving. But I wouldn't shy away from the FFV for any other reason. The Vulcan is very fuel efficient 6. Had one in my '97 Taurus. Very reliable and smooth powerplant.
  • keithwandkeithwand Posts: 23
    Thanks for your very informative reply. I drove a rental car w/ FFV and found it to be very slow and this was without the air cond. on. I too would have opted for the bigger engine but being a co. car had no choice. I am surprised that the co. I work for had the std. ABS brakes deleted but opted and paid for the FFV engine. I would have gone for the safety.
  • pecospecos Posts: 8
    Your Co. may not have actually paid extra for the FFV engine. All the Taurus' at dealerships in my area with this option show both a charge for and then an equal dollar amount credit on the sticker for the Flex Fuel Vulcan. In other words, it was free. Enjoy your car. The price was certainly right!
  • jc58jc58 Posts: 48
    Does anyone know if you can get the 24v engine on the Taurus SE?

I am looking for a sedan for my wife, and am looking at the Taurus, as well as they Camry, 626, and Accord. I really like the looks of the 2000 Taurus, but would like to know what people who have bought it think of it.

How is the handling, ride, pick-up ( with 24v engine) and the quiteness. Also, have you had any problems with the 2000 model?
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Regarding your comments on GM sedans...well the Taurus has been essentially the same car since its introduction in 1986, so most major changes have been related to the exterior presentation.
    The current car still uses the old door design from the 96-99 generation and it is beyond me as to why Ford revamped the entire body design but the doors? The Taurus has had a very dark reliability history (Look at reliability data from years past)and specially the vaunted 3.8L engine and its infamous "Blown Gasket" problems. Sorry to blow it back and you, but the Taurus has never been a star in the reliability dept. GM as Ford and other manufacturers have had their own share of mistakes, but the current GM sedans (Regal, Intrigue, Bonneville, Lumina, Impala)are showing much improved trends in quality control and reliability over the Taurus. In fact, the Intrigue reports less problems per car than the Taurus does. As far as the "Long Term" tests performed by Edmunds...I take them with a grain of salt due to their questionable testing methodology, (Going back to the same dealer that gave them bad service, wrecking the car and then trash it all the way,etc)and unquestionable bias towards domestic products, namely GM, make me wonder about the accuracy of these reports. But to each his own. In the end the best critic and tester is the owner of the vehicle. I was a Ford owner many moons ago and the cars exhibited the worst quality and durability of any domestic maker. The "Quality is Job#1" bull was just a "Hook" and "Hype" to make potential customers believe that their products offered the edge from all fronts. Ford had lost until recently the design leadership it acquired in the 1980's with the Taurus, but now it is regaining some of it back with the Focus. Ford lost me forever with their lousy products and service. Enjoy your vehicles...that's the beauty of having choices....everyone drives what they like!
    "well the Taurus has been essentially the same car since its introduction in 1986, so most major changes have been related to the exterior presentation"

I hope you aren't being serious. The Taurus has changed a lot since 1986. Everything it is known for having problems with has been eliminated (and for a while.) No more 3.8L engine, no more AXOD-E transmission, and it seems like they improved the air conditioner's reliability. I had a '93 Sable (same as Taurus) GS, and now I have a '97 Taurus GL. The only thing similar about the two cars is the name. In '96 Ford improved everything about the Taurus/Sable. They are much more reliable, they handle better, they are more comfortable (in my opinion), and they are more cutting edge design than the '92-'95 models. I highly doubt you've driven both model cars if you think there are no differences. To each there own though. Just don't use facts about the 3.8L engine when talking about the new Taurus (since it hasn't been used in Tauruses for 5 years.)