Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• golden11golden11 Posts: 4
    Barjon, what type of gasoline did you switch to? I have tried turning the key to the "on" position and waiting a few seconds. This works sometimes, but not all the time. I'd like to find a permanent solution.
  • sable93sable93 Posts: 107
    Taurusman,

Glad your Taurus is treating you well. I remember when I got my '97, I fell in love with it. Four thousand dollars later (in one year of ownership), I look at it as more of an evil ex-wife. It is soul-less, and requires a monthly infusion of money (alimony.) :o)
  • taurusmantaurusman Posts: 5
    THere is no question that the early accords and camrys were and still are better cars than the Taurus. However I feel that they have improved in leaps and bounds from the early ones. THe styling change in 2000 made it a phenomenal car
  • taurus69taurus69 Posts: 5
    I owned an 87' Taurus from DEC 97 until DEC 2000 and I have to tell someone about what a terrific car it was. I bought it for a lousy 1200 dollars Canadian when I was sixteen at 270 000 km. I treated the car like a typical teenager, constantly peeling out and playing bumper tag with friends. Other then needing to replace the heater core, this high mileage car never needed repair, and survived the torture I put it through. I was forced to give it up when the tranny went but now I am in the market for a new Taurus. What kind of moron would opt for an Accord or Camary over a Taurus, especially when a Taurus is available with such beefy motors such as the 3.8. I would like to recommend a Taurus to anyone in
    the market for a mid sized sedan.
  • taurus2taurus2 Posts: 63
    Are 96-99 Taurus's good? I would like to get one but I heard the transmition (bad speller) is bad and they have some problems. They are really safe and have a nice ride. Over all how is the experience?
  • halsey1halsey1 Posts: 3
    I had an 89 Taurus that I drove until it had 148000 miles, with very few problems. I'm considering purchasing a newer Taurus, 98 or later. I've rented a 97 and a 98 in the last few years, and noted some items I did not care for: the speed control, especially on the 98, was very poor, allowing the speed to vary by up to 10MPH up or down from where it was set.
    Also, the power steering whined. I've heard this on other late model Fords as well.
    Are these 2 items common? What other pitfalls should I look for?
    Thank You
    Well, as a '97 GL owner, I'd recommend purchasing an extended warranty if you plan on buying a Taurus (any year.) Some people have zero problems, while others like myself have spent THOUSANDS to keep them running.

Personally, I wouldn't buy another Taurus, or any Ford, due to my recent experiences, the unbelievable number of recalls on recent cars, and the company's horrible treatment of it's customers. That's just me though. Buy whatever you like, and whatever makes you happy... but as a warning, if you get a Taurus, invest in a warranty.
    Problems to look for in a newer Taurus:

1.)Tie-rods (this is true of any Ford car ever produced)
    2.)Transmission
    3.)Rotors
    4.)AC (especially '97 when they converted to new system)
    5.)broken window clips (rattle and drive you crazy!)
    6.) Oil leaks (seals tend to go around 80K)
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Posts: 793
    My 96 Sable LS has 100k+ on it. We have the 24V, DOHC 200hp engine. The total repair costs are a battery, A/C fan clutch, and the crank bearing. The total cost was around $700. It also needed struts (No shock here. They ALL wear out around 50-75k). The car has been and still is a dream to drive. The transmission has been just fine. Cruise holds a speed better than I can. Power steering, quite. If it is noisey it may be low on fluid. I flush mine about every 2 years. As for safety look at the Gov't crash test ratings. IIRC, 5 stars all around. This is my 4th Sable. We had an 86 (50k), an 88 (125k) a 91 (175k) and this 96. IMHO, these are GREAT cars!!!
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Posts: 793
    And NO leaks.
    Do most Ford Taurus's have AS? I'm looking to buy a '98 Taurus within the next 2 weeks and I'm wondering if most of them have AS? Thanks
    I ment to say Anti-Lock-Brakes
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    It seems like several posts ago people were talking about a pinging noise in their cars. Did anyone ever come up with a solution as to what caused the pinging. I've got a GM but it has the same pinging.

I'd ask on the Grand Prix forum but that forum seems to have gone inactive. I also asked when I first got the car and never got an answer.

I'm sure it's the same problem. I thought it was probably because the car was new but I've had it for 2 months now and it has 1600 miles. It only pings when I turn off the engine.

Even though I'm asking on the wrong forum, I thought maybe somewhat would be nice enough to anwer.

iusecad - That's a smart move to hold off on buying a Taurus and saving your money for a house. Now that gas prices are going down, you're not putting out so much money on gas. I try to get 10 years out of a car myself.
  • larryn2larryn2 Posts: 18
    when i bought my 97 it was an option....larry
  • shank6shank6 Posts: 64
    I hate to say it but my 99 Taurus SE has been horrible. The most recent disaster was a replacement of the front wheel bearings (with only 37,000 miles, mostly highway)when the car was at the dealer to have the SECOND set of rotors machined for warping. The car now has an exhaust leak which I have yet to address. (It cost me $400.00 for the bearings)

I think you can get good or bad in anything you buy, but Toyota and Honda have alot less problems per vehicle.(see Consumer Reports). It's just depressing when you lay out 19 or 20 thousand for a car these days and the quality is just not there.
  • barjonbarjon Posts: 27
    I had switched from Sunoco to Getty.

This past week I put 850 miles on the car while on vacation. I filled up with Mobil, Texaco, Amoco, and Sunoco. All week long the car started the first time, every time. We'll see how it goes when I get back into the normal routine.
  • chzbrgchzbrg Posts: 10
    Just bought the ford st-6 changer for my 2000 ford taurus. i have pulled the carpet away from the drivers rear wheel well and noticed the radio tuner. What plugs into what can someone be more specific for the do it yourselfer. Got a great deal thru radiosandmore ($301) and free shipping.
    CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP
  • Do you have a bench seat in your car or buckets with a console? That will determine if you mount the changer in the trunk or in the console.

Also, the installation instructions with a crude picture are here:

http://www.radiosandmore.com/installs/fd02.pdf

The picture is crude, but at least you should get an idea of what to do. It really is just as easy as plugging it all in. The toughest part is mounting the unit. Also, mine came set up for vertical operation (sitting straight up and down like it would be in a console). If you are going to install it flat (like you would under the package shelf), be sure to change the little switch on the unit (it's more of a "slider" thing actually - don't remember for sure since it has been about a year since I put on in my daughter's car).

I have buckets with a center console and shifter!
  • g1994stsg1994sts Posts: 26
    I'm a little disappointed ford's excellent v6 is too sensitive to engine knock on recommended 87 octane. The manual clearly says not to use premium, because It may actually degrade performance and one may experience Irregularities. It says right on the manual, can you believe this?

On level ground It may not happen at all, but some times It does a little. (any brand name gas). Where it happens a lot is uphill, especially on a long upgrade of about 9 degrees. Again depending on the gas, exxon, mobil, shell, etc. sometimes it could knock really bad. I have observed all late model taurus behave this way, usually passing by when driving along. I'm really annoyed and upset with this. because I think Ford doesn't have the technology to make an engine that is 100% knock resistant on 87 octane.

For example my other car a 1994 seville STS, the recommended octane is premium only, 91 octane or better. Well lately with increasing gas prices I have been mixing premium with regular, at one point I had about 2/3 regular & 1/3 premium, and it runs just the same as on premium only, with no noticeable degrade in performance or knocking.

Other than that the power is tremendous, very comfortable, the ergernomics are just right, I can power slide the seat on the track to be distant from the steering wheel. I can't do that with the cadillac. The seat stops too short, forcing me drive with the steering wheel geezer style.

I have been using the middle grade and kocking is almost non existant and especially on premium, this car feels like a v8 beast.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • I think that you will need to get a different "insides" for your console. The inside of my console on my 2000 SEL has a special section where the ST-6 changer fits just right and it has a separate section for storage right next to it (vs. what I am guessing you have which is just one big open area). This separate section holds an extra 6 disc cartridge just fine with a little bit of room left over. Have fun running the cable from the changer back to the trunk though. I hope they sold you one long enough!

By the way, extra 6 disc cartridges for the ST-6 are about $75 at Ford. I got a bunch at Best Buy for $12.50 each. The one that fits is an AIWA model # MCD-MG55. It's a duplicate of the factory unit except it says AIWA instead of Ford!

Good luck.
    Thanks for your help!!!! Really appreciate it!
  • I have a clean, loaded 94 Taurus wagon with the 3.8L engine and 95,000 miles on it. It just blew a head gasket. We followed the maintenance guidelines and have the records. We are the original owners. Does anyone have advice on getting Ford to cover the repair?
  • dijidsdijids Posts: 2
    The timing looks right for a new Taurus and I'm eligible for x-plan pricing which is 4% over Ford Employees a-plan price. Don't know if I'm better off trying to negotiate or just asking for the x-plan price since I can't find any lists of what the price will actually be. Anyone experienced using x-plan pricing or know where I can get detailed lists of a-plan pricing?
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The warranty expired long ago. They are not going to cover it. In fact even if you had got an 100,000 exteneded warranty, you would have just made it assuming they would cover worn out gaskets. But then the head gasket probably would not have blown util 101,000 miles if you had bought the warranty.
    Maybe if had blown 1 day after the factory warranty expired, Ford might have "thought about" covering it as a goodwill gesture.
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    Ford Partner Program......(need some help)
    in the Smart Shopper section of Town Hall might help you out...
  • does anyone know if for a 2000 se 24v, what the brake lamp switch recall 01s08 is about? My ABS dash lite sometimes stays on after startup, seems more likely in the afternoon after work sitting in the sun. Any relationship? The braking seems to work fine, always has been a bit soft for my taste. Thanks for any input on this.
  • Here is exact language from the recall:

Grease used on the adjustable pedal assembly may enter the brake lamp switch and contaminate the contacts. This may cause one or more of the following symptoms to occur:
    - brake lights stay illuminated or are inoperative
    - shift interlock disabled (will be able to shift out of "PARK" position without depressing the brakes)
    - speed control will not activate
    - cannot shift the vehicle out of "PARK"
    - ABS warning light illuminates (on vehicles with ABS)
    - battery discharged
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    See the following link for a summary of Ford's "secret warranty" (Service Campaign 00M09). Apparently this covers up to 7years/100,000 miles, so you better get things documented and cracking before the time runs out.

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/FORD-3.8L.htm

This discussion has been closed.